2019 Major League Baseball Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 68, 69, 70  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:23 pm    Post subject:

Anyone have a link to the entire Joc vs Vlad battle?
oasisdude77
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:03 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
Anyone have a link to the entire Joc vs Vlad battle?

ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:49 pm    Post subject:

Of course Kershaw is giving up loud contact and not looking good on a big stage LOL.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:07 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Of course Kershaw is giving up loud contact and not looking good on a big stage LOL.

I think we (NL) would have won this one if the Dodgers had missed their plane.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:20 am    Post subject:

maybe it is me getting older, but some of these rules that leagues want to test that would drastically change the basics of the game annoy me....

MLB will experiment with stealing first base in Atlantic League

Quote:
In the second half of the season, the league will allow batters to steal first base: Any pitch on any count not caught in flight will be considered a live ball, and a batter may run to first base, similar to a dropped third strike.

LINK
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:34 am    Post subject:

I kind of like that idea. It adds some stakes to throwing balls in the dirt when there are no runners on.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:37 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
maybe it is me getting older, but some of these rules that leagues want to test that would drastically change the basics of the game annoy me....

Quote:
In the second half of the season, the league will allow batters to steal first base: Any pitch on any count not caught in flight will be considered a live ball, and a batter may run to first base, similar to a dropped third strike.

LINK

I don't mind experiments. This is something that would rarely happen. The question I have about this rule is the point at which the batter is deemed to have committed to first base. If the batter takes one step toward first, can the catcher throw him out?
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:53 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
adkindo wrote:

Quote:

LINK

I don't mind experiments. This is something that would rarely happen. The question I have about this rule is the point at which the batter is deemed to have committed to first base. If the batter takes one step toward first, can the catcher throw him out?

I would say if he drops his bat and leaves the box (in the direction of 1B).
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:22 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
adkindo wrote:

Quote:

LINK

I am not even a fan of the ability to run if the 3rd strike is dropped.....just never saw the correlation between a wild pitch or ball getting past the catcher resulting in a player that struck out getting to go to 1st base.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:23 am    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
adkindo wrote:

Quote:

LINK

I would say if he drops his bat and leaves the box (in the direction of 1B).

yeah, or they could even create a new marker on the field....like 1 yard down the line from the corner of the box.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:30 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
I am not even a fan of the ability to run if the 3rd strike is dropped.....just never saw the correlation between a wild pitch or ball getting past the catcher resulting in a player that struck out getting to go to 1st base.

Did you know that a catcher is credited with a put out on strikeouts? That's where this comes from. If the catcher drops the ball, there is no put out unless the batter is tagged or thrown out at first. Yes, it is an ancient and antiquated rule, but there actually is a logical basis for it in the context of the historical development of the game. It probably made more sense in the days before newfangled inventions like fielding gloves and catcher's masks, back when men were men.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:27 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
adkindo wrote:

Did you know that a catcher is credited with a put out on strikeouts? That's where this comes from. If the catcher drops the ball, there is no put out unless the batter is tagged or thrown out at first. Yes, it is an ancient and antiquated rule, but there actually is a logical basis for it in the context of the historical development of the game. It probably made more sense in the days before newfangled inventions like fielding gloves and catcher's masks, back when men were men.

Yes, this is it. I agree with the logic of it. The catcher has to record the actual putout. If the third strike is not caught cleanly, or if it's a wild pitch or passed ball, it should be a live ball where you have to then record the putout by either tagging the batter or by throwing the ball to first base.

As for the idea of "stealing" first base on any ball that is not caught cleanly by the catcher before a third strike, I find it to be an awful idea.

As for robotic balls-and-strikes...hell yes. Just a matter of time, also.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:54 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
adkindo wrote:

Yes, this is it. I agree with the logic of it. The catcher has to record the actual putout. If the third strike is not caught cleanly, or if it's a wild pitch or passed ball, it should be a live ball where you have to then record the putout by either tagging the batter or by throwing the ball to first base.

As for the idea of "stealing" first base on any ball that is not caught cleanly by the catcher before a third strike, I find it to be an awful idea.

As for robotic balls-and-strikes...hell yes. Just a matter of time, also.

Agree completely. I get the idea behind the put out on a third strike that's not caught. You have to complete the out by a successful pitch across the plate that is caught by the catcher.

While I am not someone who claims a full understanding of the deeper concepts of baseball, it's always been my understanding that until a batter is on first base, they aren't a base runner. So how can a player who hasn't entered the bases by a walk, making a hit or being hit steal a base?

To me, a rule change should be something that is inherently going to improve the game by either making it more efficient, more fair or eliminate potentially confusing situations. I just don't see how this rule would do any of those.

And really, who is going to attempt to make such a high risk play. You'd have to have a very serious passed ball to even have a shot at making first before the catcher can throw the runner out. A batter at the plate isn't poised to run at any second the way a base runner is.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:02 pm    Post subject:

Just a change for change sake, which is silly. I understand MLB wants more "action" plays, but this will barely move the needle. I'd bet metrics would convince most teams the value of taking first is far outweighed by the probability of being thrown out. Only the speediest left-handed batters on the wildest of pitches would have a shot, and even then it's the silly play most of the time.

MLB should focus on reinventing stadiums, the experience at the game, instead of the game itself.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:58 pm    Post subject:

Eh, they’ve experimented with a bunch of stuff.

https://www.mlb.com/cut4/new-mlb-atlantic-league-rule-changes

They used a robo ump for balls and strikes the other day.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:25 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:

And that's been long overdue. As I said, it's just a matter of time before MLB has electronic balls-and-strikes.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:46 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

And that's been long overdue. As I said, it's just a matter of time before MLB has electronic balls-and-strikes.

Can't come soon enough.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:05 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

Can't come soon enough.

LAkers 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:06 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:

Quote:

LINK

Don't catchers already have enough to do where they shouldn't have to worry about throwing guys out at first because a ball bounced in the dirt and smacked him? It's already a physically taxing position, now they have more to worry about? Not a big fan.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:15 pm    Post subject:

LAkers 4 Life wrote:
adkindo wrote:

Quote:

LINK

Don't catchers already have enough to do where they shouldn't have to worry about throwing guys out at first because a ball bounced in the dirt and smacked him? It's already a physically taxing position, now they have more to worry about? Not a big fan.

Agreed. The game is perfectly fine. Just get rid of the umps. and replace them with robots. Baseball is by FAR the easiest major sport to implement this. It's binary system is tailor made for it...no judgement calls...strike, ball, foul ball or not, safe or out. The moment I saw them in the 90s start to use the graphical overlays on a telecast to show balls and strikes, I was on board with getting rid of umpires altogether. They're useless in baseball with the tools the game has at hand now.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:19 pm    Post subject:

It seems like they are playing with one of those crazy bouncing balls I had as a kid that would bounce from the floor to the ceiling with minimal effort.

This thing be juiced Holmes....
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:35 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
LAkers 4 Life wrote:
adkindo wrote:

Quote:

LINK

Agreed. The game is perfectly fine. Just get rid of the umps. and replace them with robots. Baseball is by FAR the easiest major sport to implement this. It's binary system is tailor made for it...no judgement calls...strike, ball, foul ball or not, safe or out. The moment I saw them in the 90s start to use the graphical overlays on a telecast to show balls and strikes, I was on board with getting rid of umpires altogether. They're useless in baseball with the tools the game has at hand now.

Unfortunately, that's never going to happen. But if they can take them out of the equation at the plate, that's a victory for the game.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:55 pm    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:
Just a change for change sake, which is silly. I understand MLB wants more "action" plays, but this will barely move the needle. I'd bet metrics would convince most teams the value of taking first is far outweighed by the probability of being thrown out. Only the speediest left-handed batters on the wildest of pitches would have a shot, and even then it's the silly play most of the time.

MLB should focus on reinventing stadiums, the experience at the game, instead of the game itself.

"and now batting, Usain Bolt"
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:21 pm    Post subject:

is it just me, or did Bo walking up the outfield wall seem more amazing back then than it does on replay's today?

http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=19867805
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:32 am    Post subject:

It's just you.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 68, 69, 70  Next
Page 6 of 70
Jump to: