2019 Major League Baseball Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

 
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 21 Sep 2007
Posts: 25462

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:23 pm    Post subject:

Anyone have a link to the entire Joc vs Vlad battle?
_________________
(bleep) those 2 guys. Onward!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
oasisdude77
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 02 Oct 2007
Posts: 1458

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:03 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
Anyone have a link to the entire Joc vs Vlad battle?


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnVE67Ea9sk
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ChickenStu
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 25 Apr 2015
Posts: 17937
Location: Anaheim, CA

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:49 pm    Post subject:

Of course Kershaw is giving up loud contact and not looking good on a big stage LOL.
_________________
OK, no superteam, but we can still do this. Onward and upward.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 16 Jun 2005
Posts: 36202
Location: Dirty South

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:07 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Of course Kershaw is giving up loud contact and not looking good on a big stage LOL.


I think we (NL) would have won this one if the Dodgers had missed their plane.
_________________
If Kawhi Leonard says no....we are screwed!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 16 Jun 2005
Posts: 36202
Location: Dirty South

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:20 am    Post subject:

maybe it is me getting older, but some of these rules that leagues want to test that would drastically change the basics of the game annoy me....

MLB will experiment with stealing first base in Atlantic League

Quote:
In the second half of the season, the league will allow batters to steal first base: Any pitch on any count not caught in flight will be considered a live ball, and a batter may run to first base, similar to a dropped third strike.


LINK
_________________
If Kawhi Leonard says no....we are screwed!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
loslakersss
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 31 Dec 2008
Posts: 8767
Location: LA

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:34 am    Post subject:

I kind of like that idea. It adds some stakes to throwing balls in the dirt when there are no runners on.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Aeneas Hunter
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 12 Jul 2005
Posts: 22496

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:37 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
maybe it is me getting older, but some of these rules that leagues want to test that would drastically change the basics of the game annoy me....

MLB will experiment with stealing first base in Atlantic League

Quote:
In the second half of the season, the league will allow batters to steal first base: Any pitch on any count not caught in flight will be considered a live ball, and a batter may run to first base, similar to a dropped third strike.


LINK


I don't mind experiments. This is something that would rarely happen. The question I have about this rule is the point at which the batter is deemed to have committed to first base. If the batter takes one step toward first, can the catcher throw him out?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
loslakersss
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 31 Dec 2008
Posts: 8767
Location: LA

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:53 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
adkindo wrote:
maybe it is me getting older, but some of these rules that leagues want to test that would drastically change the basics of the game annoy me....

MLB will experiment with stealing first base in Atlantic League

Quote:
In the second half of the season, the league will allow batters to steal first base: Any pitch on any count not caught in flight will be considered a live ball, and a batter may run to first base, similar to a dropped third strike.


LINK


I don't mind experiments. This is something that would rarely happen. The question I have about this rule is the point at which the batter is deemed to have committed to first base. If the batter takes one step toward first, can the catcher throw him out?


I would say if he drops his bat and leaves the box (in the direction of 1B).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 16 Jun 2005
Posts: 36202
Location: Dirty South

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:22 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
adkindo wrote:
maybe it is me getting older, but some of these rules that leagues want to test that would drastically change the basics of the game annoy me....

MLB will experiment with stealing first base in Atlantic League

Quote:
In the second half of the season, the league will allow batters to steal first base: Any pitch on any count not caught in flight will be considered a live ball, and a batter may run to first base, similar to a dropped third strike.


LINK


I don't mind experiments. This is something that would rarely happen. The question I have about this rule is the point at which the batter is deemed to have committed to first base. If the batter takes one step toward first, can the catcher throw him out?


I am not even a fan of the ability to run if the 3rd strike is dropped.....just never saw the correlation between a wild pitch or ball getting past the catcher resulting in a player that struck out getting to go to 1st base.
_________________
If Kawhi Leonard says no....we are screwed!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 16 Jun 2005
Posts: 36202
Location: Dirty South

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:23 am    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
adkindo wrote:
maybe it is me getting older, but some of these rules that leagues want to test that would drastically change the basics of the game annoy me....

MLB will experiment with stealing first base in Atlantic League

Quote:
In the second half of the season, the league will allow batters to steal first base: Any pitch on any count not caught in flight will be considered a live ball, and a batter may run to first base, similar to a dropped third strike.


LINK


I don't mind experiments. This is something that would rarely happen. The question I have about this rule is the point at which the batter is deemed to have committed to first base. If the batter takes one step toward first, can the catcher throw him out?


I would say if he drops his bat and leaves the box (in the direction of 1B).


yeah, or they could even create a new marker on the field....like 1 yard down the line from the corner of the box.
_________________
If Kawhi Leonard says no....we are screwed!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Aeneas Hunter
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 12 Jul 2005
Posts: 22496

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:30 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
I am not even a fan of the ability to run if the 3rd strike is dropped.....just never saw the correlation between a wild pitch or ball getting past the catcher resulting in a player that struck out getting to go to 1st base.


Did you know that a catcher is credited with a put out on strikeouts? That's where this comes from. If the catcher drops the ball, there is no put out unless the batter is tagged or thrown out at first. Yes, it is an ancient and antiquated rule, but there actually is a logical basis for it in the context of the historical development of the game. It probably made more sense in the days before newfangled inventions like fielding gloves and catcher's masks, back when men were men.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ChickenStu
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 25 Apr 2015
Posts: 17937
Location: Anaheim, CA

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:27 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
adkindo wrote:
I am not even a fan of the ability to run if the 3rd strike is dropped.....just never saw the correlation between a wild pitch or ball getting past the catcher resulting in a player that struck out getting to go to 1st base.


Did you know that a catcher is credited with a put out on strikeouts? That's where this comes from. If the catcher drops the ball, there is no put out unless the batter is tagged or thrown out at first. Yes, it is an ancient and antiquated rule, but there actually is a logical basis for it in the context of the historical development of the game. It probably made more sense in the days before newfangled inventions like fielding gloves and catcher's masks, back when men were men.


Yes, this is it. I agree with the logic of it. The catcher has to record the actual putout. If the third strike is not caught cleanly, or if it's a wild pitch or passed ball, it should be a live ball where you have to then record the putout by either tagging the batter or by throwing the ball to first base.

As for the idea of "stealing" first base on any ball that is not caught cleanly by the catcher before a third strike, I find it to be an awful idea.

As for robotic balls-and-strikes...hell yes. Just a matter of time, also.
_________________
OK, no superteam, but we can still do this. Onward and upward.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 10 Dec 2006
Posts: 43181
Location: Making a safety stop at 15 feet.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:54 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
adkindo wrote:
I am not even a fan of the ability to run if the 3rd strike is dropped.....just never saw the correlation between a wild pitch or ball getting past the catcher resulting in a player that struck out getting to go to 1st base.


Did you know that a catcher is credited with a put out on strikeouts? That's where this comes from. If the catcher drops the ball, there is no put out unless the batter is tagged or thrown out at first. Yes, it is an ancient and antiquated rule, but there actually is a logical basis for it in the context of the historical development of the game. It probably made more sense in the days before newfangled inventions like fielding gloves and catcher's masks, back when men were men.


Yes, this is it. I agree with the logic of it. The catcher has to record the actual putout. If the third strike is not caught cleanly, or if it's a wild pitch or passed ball, it should be a live ball where you have to then record the putout by either tagging the batter or by throwing the ball to first base.

As for the idea of "stealing" first base on any ball that is not caught cleanly by the catcher before a third strike, I find it to be an awful idea.

As for robotic balls-and-strikes...hell yes. Just a matter of time, also.


Agree completely. I get the idea behind the put out on a third strike that's not caught. You have to complete the out by a successful pitch across the plate that is caught by the catcher.

While I am not someone who claims a full understanding of the deeper concepts of baseball, it's always been my understanding that until a batter is on first base, they aren't a base runner. So how can a player who hasn't entered the bases by a walk, making a hit or being hit steal a base?

To me, a rule change should be something that is inherently going to improve the game by either making it more efficient, more fair or eliminate potentially confusing situations. I just don't see how this rule would do any of those.

And really, who is going to attempt to make such a high risk play. You'd have to have a very serious passed ball to even have a shot at making first before the catcher can throw the runner out. A batter at the plate isn't poised to run at any second the way a base runner is.
_________________
You thought God was an architect, now you know
He’s something like a pipe bomb ready to blow
And everything you built that’s all for show
goes up in flames
In 24 frames


Jason Isbell
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Cutheon
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 10 Jul 2009
Posts: 8326
Location: Bay Area

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:02 pm    Post subject:

Just a change for change sake, which is silly. I understand MLB wants more "action" plays, but this will barely move the needle. I'd bet metrics would convince most teams the value of taking first is far outweighed by the probability of being thrown out. Only the speediest left-handed batters on the wildest of pitches would have a shot, and even then it's the silly play most of the time.

MLB should focus on reinventing stadiums, the experience at the game, instead of the game itself.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Aeneas Hunter
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 12 Jul 2005
Posts: 22496

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:58 pm    Post subject:

Eh, they’ve experimented with a bunch of stuff.

https://www.mlb.com/cut4/new-mlb-atlantic-league-rule-changes

They used a robo ump for balls and strikes the other day.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ChickenStu
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 25 Apr 2015
Posts: 17937
Location: Anaheim, CA

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:25 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Eh, they’ve experimented with a bunch of stuff.

https://www.mlb.com/cut4/new-mlb-atlantic-league-rule-changes

They used a robo ump for balls and strikes the other day.


And that's been long overdue. As I said, it's just a matter of time before MLB has electronic balls-and-strikes.
_________________
OK, no superteam, but we can still do this. Onward and upward.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 10 Dec 2006
Posts: 43181
Location: Making a safety stop at 15 feet.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:46 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Eh, they’ve experimented with a bunch of stuff.

https://www.mlb.com/cut4/new-mlb-atlantic-league-rule-changes

They used a robo ump for balls and strikes the other day.


And that's been long overdue. As I said, it's just a matter of time before MLB has electronic balls-and-strikes.


Can't come soon enough.
_________________
You thought God was an architect, now you know
He’s something like a pipe bomb ready to blow
And everything you built that’s all for show
goes up in flames
In 24 frames


Jason Isbell
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 21 Sep 2007
Posts: 25462

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:05 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Eh, they’ve experimented with a bunch of stuff.

https://www.mlb.com/cut4/new-mlb-atlantic-league-rule-changes

They used a robo ump for balls and strikes the other day.


And that's been long overdue. As I said, it's just a matter of time before MLB has electronic balls-and-strikes.


Can't come soon enough.

_________________
(bleep) those 2 guys. Onward!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LAkers 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 12 Apr 2001
Posts: 14531

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:06 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
maybe it is me getting older, but some of these rules that leagues want to test that would drastically change the basics of the game annoy me....

MLB will experiment with stealing first base in Atlantic League

Quote:
In the second half of the season, the league will allow batters to steal first base: Any pitch on any count not caught in flight will be considered a live ball, and a batter may run to first base, similar to a dropped third strike.


LINK


Don't catchers already have enough to do where they shouldn't have to worry about throwing guys out at first because a ball bounced in the dirt and smacked him? It's already a physically taxing position, now they have more to worry about? Not a big fan.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 21 Sep 2007
Posts: 25462

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:15 pm    Post subject:

LAkers 4 Life wrote:
adkindo wrote:
maybe it is me getting older, but some of these rules that leagues want to test that would drastically change the basics of the game annoy me....

MLB will experiment with stealing first base in Atlantic League

Quote:
In the second half of the season, the league will allow batters to steal first base: Any pitch on any count not caught in flight will be considered a live ball, and a batter may run to first base, similar to a dropped third strike.


LINK


Don't catchers already have enough to do where they shouldn't have to worry about throwing guys out at first because a ball bounced in the dirt and smacked him? It's already a physically taxing position, now they have more to worry about? Not a big fan.


Agreed. The game is perfectly fine. Just get rid of the umps. and replace them with robots. Baseball is by FAR the easiest major sport to implement this. It's binary system is tailor made for it...no judgement calls...strike, ball, foul ball or not, safe or out. The moment I saw them in the 90s start to use the graphical overlays on a telecast to show balls and strikes, I was on board with getting rid of umpires altogether. They're useless in baseball with the tools the game has at hand now.
_________________
(bleep) those 2 guys. Onward!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 24 Oct 2001
Posts: 42962

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:19 pm    Post subject:

It seems like they are playing with one of those crazy bouncing balls I had as a kid that would bounce from the floor to the ceiling with minimal effort.

This thing be juiced Holmes....
_________________
Love, Laker Lanny
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 10 Dec 2006
Posts: 43181
Location: Making a safety stop at 15 feet.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:35 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
LAkers 4 Life wrote:
adkindo wrote:
maybe it is me getting older, but some of these rules that leagues want to test that would drastically change the basics of the game annoy me....

MLB will experiment with stealing first base in Atlantic League

Quote:
In the second half of the season, the league will allow batters to steal first base: Any pitch on any count not caught in flight will be considered a live ball, and a batter may run to first base, similar to a dropped third strike.


LINK


Don't catchers already have enough to do where they shouldn't have to worry about throwing guys out at first because a ball bounced in the dirt and smacked him? It's already a physically taxing position, now they have more to worry about? Not a big fan.


Agreed. The game is perfectly fine. Just get rid of the umps. and replace them with robots. Baseball is by FAR the easiest major sport to implement this. It's binary system is tailor made for it...no judgement calls...strike, ball, foul ball or not, safe or out. The moment I saw them in the 90s start to use the graphical overlays on a telecast to show balls and strikes, I was on board with getting rid of umpires altogether. They're useless in baseball with the tools the game has at hand now.


Unfortunately, that's never going to happen. But if they can take them out of the equation at the plate, that's a victory for the game.
_________________
You thought God was an architect, now you know
He’s something like a pipe bomb ready to blow
And everything you built that’s all for show
goes up in flames
In 24 frames


Jason Isbell
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 16 Jun 2005
Posts: 36202
Location: Dirty South

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:55 pm    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:
Just a change for change sake, which is silly. I understand MLB wants more "action" plays, but this will barely move the needle. I'd bet metrics would convince most teams the value of taking first is far outweighed by the probability of being thrown out. Only the speediest left-handed batters on the wildest of pitches would have a shot, and even then it's the silly play most of the time.

MLB should focus on reinventing stadiums, the experience at the game, instead of the game itself.


"and now batting, Usain Bolt"
_________________
If Kawhi Leonard says no....we are screwed!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 16 Jun 2005
Posts: 36202
Location: Dirty South

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:21 pm    Post subject:

is it just me, or did Bo walking up the outfield wall seem more amazing back then than it does on replay's today?

http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=19867805
_________________
If Kawhi Leonard says no....we are screwed!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Aeneas Hunter
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 12 Jul 2005
Posts: 22496

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:32 am    Post subject:

It's just you.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7
Jump to:  

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum






Graphics by uberzev
© 1995-2018 LakersGround.net. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Use.
LakersGround is an unofficial news source serving the fan community since 1995.
We are in no way associated with the Los Angeles Lakers or the National Basketball Association.


Powered by phpBB