LAKERS -at- SPURS - 1/17 - Thoughts and :-)) ratings
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:53 am    Post subject:

Vandal08 wrote:
^^^Wolf....

Evans should play more....but he was straight up lost on Barry's late 3. He was late as hell. In football terms if her were a DB...he got caught looking into the backfield...complete brain fart on his part.

First - I would have Luke in the last 2-3 minutes.
Second - That actually was Kobe's rotation. Duncan set a great pick and Evans got caught by that. It was obvious the Spurs were going to shoot a 3 and instead of clogging the paint the Lakers should have been aware of a possible rotation out to the perimeter.

Very similar to how I never blamed Kobe when Ray Allen dropped 40 on him. You see Allen comes off many screens just like Barry did on that play. When you start factoring in screens, it's no longer a man to man thing. At that point, it becomes a team defensive thing IMO.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Sister Golden Hair
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:44 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Big win.

Tony Parker travels alot. Phil Jackson was calling for it many times. He travels both on his spin move and a couple times takes 3 full steps before going for a layup. Both got Phil up in the air quickly.

Great effort by the guys. Big time props to Kobe, Radmanovic and Evans in particular. Very impressive games by them.

Good stuff also provided by Farmar (very nice cameo), Turiaf (clutch shot, rebounding/energy as usual) Drew (Good D on TD at times and very good swatting), Walton (usual all-around stuff) and Cookie (shooting + some big defensive plays).

Smush had a poor game but as usual came up big towards the end of the game.

DB - Two things.

1) I don't think Smush should be handling the ball in crunchtime. I think it should be Kobe. Maybe Lamar when he comes back, but I don't even trust LO with the ball at that point. IIRC, Jordan used to handle the ball alot in the 4th qtr of Bulls games (when they were that close). I think we almost gave the game away trying to get Smush play against that pressure D. Thoughts?

2) Do you agree that Evans needs more PT? You see IMO Mo improves the Lakers defensively. He's not a doberman, but his rotations are quick and his off the ball D very good. I think we really need his athleticism to play defense. Best 2-way lineup IMO is Bynum, Odom, Evans, Kobe and Parker. Not that I think that should be the starting lineup (Luke should start) .. just that I think that's our best defensive lineup (You can probably replace Bynum with Turiaf or Kwame depending on the matchup) and we should be playing it more than we actually do.

I think you need to have Smush handle the rock at least some of the time in closing minutes, just to keep the team's attack from becoming predictable. There's agoing to come a time, maybe even in the playofs, when neither Kobe nor Lamar will be available. You need another player on the team to be able to take the reins at that point. IMO, Smush is a better ballhandler than people around her give him credit for. The more comfortable he gets playing that role at leasta few times down the stretch in some games, the better for the team overall.

I agree about Evans, but I probably rate his defense a bit higher. Mo strikes me as trhe kind of player that if told by the coaches to become the team's designated doberman, he can do so. He certainly has the physical tools. I thought he was very good on Manu down the stretch, and wold even have liked to see him take Parker for a few exchanges. Mo is a beast. Hios best quality is that he appears to be a complete team player.
He'll do whatever is needed to win. I love the energy he and Ronny bring off the bench.

SGH
KoobieSnax
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:46 am    Post subject:

dot3 wrote:
Quote:
Speaking of range, I also hope Walton finds his three point touch again. He is shooting 30% from outside going back to December 1st (12 for 40 since). I don't expect him to hover around 50-55% like he did the first 5 weeks...but consistently somewhere in the 37-38% area would be nice...not only does it soften things up for his teammates, but by forcing the opposition to play him tighter...there are more opportunities for Luke to get a step on his man and pick apart the D off the dribble.

Yeah, I think a realistic goal for Luke would to be shooting around 40% consistently which would be great if we go with a lineup of smush, kobe, luke, odom and brown you would have 3 good 3 point threats and odom (I'm not sure how well odom would be shooting from downtown but he can hit them).

A great win for this young team!

Luke's shooting percentages will get a huge boot when Odom comes back, and he starts getting all those wide open looks again.
Aloha
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:48 am    Post subject:

Thanks D_B
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:24 am    Post subject:

Mr. EiGhTy-OnE wrote:
i cant believe Tony Parker was only called for one palming violation

Thank you! No one believes me when I say he is Mr. Palm. If the league could crack down on him, AI (Mr. Palm II) and Rip (Greyhound as in the Bus for his travelling) Hamilton, the league would be a better place.

Thanks DB! Excellent as Always...
Klone_dd
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:01 pm    Post subject:

The most impressive road win so far. Last year's Lakers team might have lost this game after SA forged ahead late, but this team was able to re-compose themselves.

Vlad - welcome to the party. Now sit and stay a while. Huge bombs to close out the 3rd. His nonchalant dunk was cool. He was like "I'm gonna dunk this ball so I don't even need to look at the rim."

Smushie - way to keep your head in the game when you're not shooting well and getting sliced up by Mr. Longoria. Lately, he has been making some gigantic 4thQ defensive plays - the at-the-rim block on Terry, the sneaky interception vs Orlando, the going-to-the-level-of-the-ball swipe of DWade and last night, the clean pick off Mr. Eva when it looked like an easy two. Add in an open 3 and a difficult floater to score.

We all know Kobe will find a way to take over the 4th, but this game in particular, the others hit big shots in crunch time. Aside from Smushie's shots, Luke had a nice flip over Timmy D as did Ronny to close the game out. The guys weren't tentative at all in the last 2 minutes in a hostile enviroment. Gotta love that kind of growth.

I know this is hindsight, but how big was that mental gaffe at the start of the 4th for SA, with the ball, only having 4 men on the court? That one FT was the difference in making the game a 2 possession game instead of 1 at the end.

Oh, and that Bryant guy, nothing new about his performance. He's just very, very good.
Scherm
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:02 pm    Post subject:

Thanks DB.

This is not profound, but man is it a pleasure to watch the Lakers win and then relive it the next day on LakersGround.
Klone_dd
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:04 pm    Post subject:

One last thing - Give Mo mo mins.
kobester
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 4:39 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Vandal08 wrote:
^^^Wolf....

Evans should play more....but he was straight up lost on Barry's late 3. He was late as hell. In football terms if her were a DB...he got caught looking into the backfield...complete brain fart on his part.

First - I would have Luke in the last 2-3 minutes.
Second - That actually was Kobe's rotation. Duncan set a great pick and Evans got caught by that. It was obvious the Spurs were going to shoot a 3 and instead of clogging the paint the Lakers should have been aware of a possible rotation out to the perimeter.

Very similar to how I never blamed Kobe when Ray Allen dropped 40 on him. You see Allen comes off many screens just like Barry did on that play. When you start factoring in screens, it's no longer a man to man thing. At that point, it becomes a team defensive thing IMO.

I just watched the replay. Kobe was completely screened off by Bowen in the paint area. There's no way he could switch to Barry. What happened was: after a few screens, Barry sneaked away from Mo when Mo was ball watching for a split second. Then Duncan set a moving screen on Mo and bumped Mo away when Mo tried to chase down Barry.
zass17
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 5:50 pm    Post subject:

thanks DB
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: