I miss the Talent but not the drama of Ball.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:31 am    Post subject:

Ziggy wrote:
I will miss the guy and think he has a bright future. Scoring will never be his calling card and that seems to be the one thing people tear him down for. I'll miss those full court passes and tip passes to the open man under the basket, and of course the defense. If he becomes even an average shooter he'll be an all-star. I'm happy to be rid of his father though.

It isn't just scoring. He's a liability in the half-court offense and wrecks your spacing because he doesn't really need to be guarded most nights. As a PG, he doesn't have much in the way of perimeter shooting skills or dribble penetration skills. Most NBA guards have at least one of those two and the great ones have both.

Offensively, he's behind the NBA curve and I don't know if he can catch up with such fundamentally flawed mechanics that affect his long-range shooting, ability to shoot off the dribble and coming off picks, and his free-throws. I've heard people say so many times, "if he can just learn to shoot" like it's a natural growth process but the truth is a lot of NBA players never do.

I think Lonzo can be All-NBA defensive player but I just don't see a star PG qualities when I watch him. I expect he'll start for the Pels to open the season but I'll be really interested to see if he can hold his starting job.
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:51 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
basically, can Avery Bradley/Danny Green replace Lonzo/BI offense & defense, ditto Cook for Hart

I think the big question is the defense. Bradley/Green should be able to replace it. Offensively, its definitely not a problem. I think they can replace the offense but lets not forget we are replacing AD for BI (as the #2 guy). We are going to miss Hart (wish he was not included in the trade). People are sleeping on him because he was playing hurt last season. The kid was growing leaps and bounds pre injury.
The Juggernaut
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:11 am    Post subject:

RI Laker wrote:
governator wrote:
basically, can Avery Bradley/Danny Green replace Lonzo/BI offense & defense, ditto Cook for Hart

I think the big question is the defense. Bradley/Green should be able to replace it. Offensively, its definitely not a problem. I think they can replace the offense but lets not forget we are replacing AD for BI (as the #2 guy). We are going to miss Hart (wish he was not included in the trade). People are sleeping on him because he was playing hurt last season. The kid was growing leaps and bounds pre injury.

Defensively, Green and Bradley can make up for BI and Lonzo but offensively they fall short. Zo's low usage playmaking and quick decision making + elite rebounding won't be replaced. BI's 1 on 1 scoring won't be replaced either.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:15 am    Post subject:

The Juggernaut wrote:
RI Laker wrote:
governator wrote:

Defensively, Green and Bradley can make up for BI and Lonzo but offensively they fall short. Zo's low usage playmaking and quick decision making + elite rebounding won't be replaced. BI's 1 on 1 scoring won't be replaced either.

yeah, I agree with both you guys. I think defense would kinda be ok since Bradley/Green are good defenders. 3pt shooting will go up (including spot ups) but 1 on 1, BI was getting good and Zo's rebound
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:55 am    Post subject:

Consider this, Ball is signed to make $9mil, $11mil and $14mil the next three seasons.

$14mil for a guy who averages 10ppg and while shooting dreadfully low percentages of FG (38%), 3pt (31%) and FT (43%) and assists per game at 6.4apg may not be enough to keep in in the league!
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:01 am    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:
Consider this, Ball is signed to make $9mil, $11mil and $14mil the next three seasons.

$14mil for a guy who averages 10ppg and while shooting dreadfully low percentages of FG (38%), 3pt (31%) and FT (43%) and assists per game at 6.4apg may not be enough to keep in in the league!

similar to Pat Bev 3yr/$40m but way younger, would've been a good player to groom but AD is more than worth it
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:02 am    Post subject:

I expect Zo to have a good season as do all players who leave the Lakers.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
HBLaker
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:02 am    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:

He will be an elite defender.
Bol
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:07 am    Post subject:

I think he'll be very good. If there's one departed Laker I hope returns someday, it's him.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:30 am    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:

Right now based on his production and the need to win now, you rather have three players that make what Ball makes (such as Bradley, Rondo and Caruso) over having Ball. However the difference is talent and potential. You could end up having Ball become a 12 assists a night type of guy with good defense and leadership. His scoring will always be less than 15-16 IMO. However he has potential to become a really good leader and floor general. Once he does, it would have been worth the wait for that franchise. We were that team, but once we landed Lebron, waiting for a guy whose best case scenario was a better leader and higher IQ version of prime/peak Rajon Rondo, IMO, not really all that appealing.

You wait on players that can become all-stars for 10 years. You wait on guys that can be your #1 option on a ring team. You wait on guys you can build your defense around. We did not give up any of those sort of players in Russell, Randle, Ingram, Zubac, Hart, Ball etc IMO. I could be wrong, but I do not see any of those guys being #1 guys on a ring team or being defensive anchors/impact on D like Gobert. We are not trading away or letting guys go that were going be top 5 in the league types. That's Sam Presti's job
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:45 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
unleasHell wrote:

Right now based on his production and the need to win now, you rather have three players that make what Ball makes (such as Bradley, Rondo and Caruso) over having Ball. However the difference is talent and potential. You could end up having Ball become a 12 assists a night type of guy with good defense and leadership. His scoring will always be less than 15-16 IMO. However he has potential to become a really good leader and floor general. Once he does, it would have been worth the wait for that franchise. We were that team, but once we landed Lebron, waiting for a guy whose best case scenario was a better leader and higher IQ version of prime/peak Rajon Rondo, IMO, not really all that appealing.

You wait on players that can become all-stars for 10 years. You wait on guys that can be your #1 option on a ring team. You wait on guys you can build your defense around. We did not give up any of those sort of players in Russell, Randle, Ingram, Zubac, Hart, Ball etc IMO. I could be wrong, but I do not see any of those guys being #1 guys on a ring team or being defensive anchors/impact on D like Gobert. We are not trading away or letting guys go that were going be top 5 in the league types. That's Sam Presti's job

Agreed. They'll be very good in their primes, but none of the young guys we got rid of are MVP/franchise level players. And we have two of those now.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: