Will well rested Lebron offset him being a year older?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:24 pm    Post subject:

Just NOT having to cover for Zo's inadequacies will have him playing better, as will being able to pass to AD & Cousins for easy baskets, will revitalize LeBron..

I can't wait...!
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:25 pm    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:
Just NOT having to cover for Zo's inadequacies will have him playing better, as will being able to pass to AD & Cousins for easy baskets, will revitalize LeBron..

I can't wait...!

lebron is sooooooooooooooooooooo lucky
toffee
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:25 am    Post subject:

He is still by far the best basketball player in the world, so he's the last thing we should worry about.
ElginBaylor
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:43 am    Post subject:

The reduced load of last season certainly won't hurt him any. With proper load management I believe he'll be a dominant force when he's on the court this season. Rested, motivated, and driven. This could be the best Lakers team we've seen in many years.
PauPau
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:47 am    Post subject:

toffee wrote:
He is still by far the best basketball player in the world, so he's the last thing we should worry about.

Something about this sentence is inconsistent.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: Will well rested Lebron offset him being a year older?

kobetimeeverytime wrote:
activeverb wrote:
loslakersss wrote:
Lebron essentially took a whole year off of basketball including the grueling playoffs. This is the first time in his career he's had this much time off the court so I'm wondering if all of this rest could negate him being 2 years older in the '20 playoffs compared to '18.

I wouldn't call missing 20 or so games because of injuries taking a whole year off.

Anyway, Lebron was playing fine before the injuries and I expect him to play fine next year.

20 rs games + entire post season is a pretty long break given the load Lebron typically carries

Well, I wouldn't really call rehabbing and recovering from an injury "a break."

Anyway, he was playing at an MVP level before the injury, and I think he'll still be one of the better players in the league, though age inevitably catches up with everyone.
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:30 am    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
To the point of this thread, LeBron's total regular and playoff minutes per season:

Season .. MP

2003-04 3122
2004-05 3388
2005-06 3965
2006-07 4083
2007-08 3579
2008-09 3634
2009-10 3426
2010-11 3985
2011-12 3309
2012-13 3837
2013-14 3665
2014-15 3337
2015-16 3531
2016-17 3538
2017-18 3948
2018-19 1937 > The good news

Total ... 56284 > The not so good news

That is a crazy amount of mileage.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:45 am    Post subject:

LandsbergerRules wrote:
ribeye wrote:
To the point of this thread, LeBron's total regular and playoff minutes per season:

Season .. MP

2003-04 3122
2004-05 3388
2005-06 3965
2006-07 4083
2007-08 3579
2008-09 3634
2009-10 3426
2010-11 3985
2011-12 3309
2012-13 3837
2013-14 3665
2014-15 3337
2015-16 3531
2016-17 3538
2017-18 3948
2018-19 1937 > The good news

Total ... 56284 > The not so good news

That is a crazy amount of mileage.

all good, it was already crazy before we even sign him. Load management
lakers0505
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:46 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Nothing will offset him being a year older. He could be healthier though.
Rek
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:47 am    Post subject:

SuperboyReformed wrote:
€H£M£$TR¥ wrote:
Not at all worried? Wow. 75 million guaranteed out the window if he hears a pop. I’m a little worried.

not your money

Have never understood the mentality of this overused response. Of course it's not his money. It's his favorite team's best player, but, apparently that doesn't factor in...
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:50 am    Post subject:

Hopefully that bull is resting and taking his vitamins (his head is getting bigger every year). He is going to have a big chip on his shoulder this year.
manlisten
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:56 am    Post subject:

Remember how good Kobe was in 2012-13 at age 34 before the injury? One of the best seasons of his career and he looked like he could play at an elite level for another 2 seasons. What I think/hope is that we will see that come to fruition with LeBron. He had some of the best numbers of his career and then came back and still put up great numbers. LeBron doesn't have the ability to carry a team by himself anymore like Kobe did at 34 but he still can put up elite numbers and contribute to a championship run so long as he has a great supporting cast which I believe he does. The extra time off should only help that cause.
It was reminiscent of one of those Most Interesting Man in the World advertisements: "I don't always shoot 6-for-28 from the field, but when I do, I become the youngest player in league history to score 28,000 career points."
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:39 am    Post subject:

Getting a bit more offseason rest does not overcome age and mileage.

He will likely start the season spry and motivated. He will remind everyone of what he was five years ago. Then the bumps and bruises of the season will start to build up. Then add in the grind of the repetition of practicing and playing while the body just does not recover and respond the same.

By mid-season “load management “ likely starts taking on a new meaning beyond b2b nights off. Even less energy on defense as he saves himself. Extended games off for “minor” injuries. Hopefully nothing major derails the dream.

Age slows everyone down over the long haul. A crack medical staff can prepare him for short bursts but season long resurrection? Be serious.
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:43 am    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:

He will likely start the season spry and motivated. He will remind everyone of what he was five years ago. Then the bumps and bruises of the season will start to build up. Then add in the grind of the repetition of practicing and playing while the body just does not recover and respond the same.

By mid-season “load management “ likely starts taking on a new meaning beyond b2b nights off. Even less energy on defense as he saves himself. Extended games off for “minor” injuries. Hopefully nothing major derails the dream.

Age slows everyone down over the long haul. A crack medical staff can prepare him for short bursts but season long resurrection? Be serious.

Agreed. Father Time is the real Thanos. Inevitable and unstoppable. Bron will never be what he once was, but I think he will still be a Top 10 player for the next two years.
Beir32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:46 am    Post subject:

LandsbergerRules wrote:

Agreed. Father Time is the real Thanos. Inevitable and unstoppable. Bron will never be what he once was, but I think he will still be a Top 10 player for the next two years.

I'm not sure if you've seen End Game but…
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:51 am    Post subject:

Beir32 wrote:
LandsbergerRules wrote:

I'm not sure if you've seen End Game but…

They cheated.
Polarbear
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:02 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

I think it is important to remember that he no longer carries the load by himself......Anthony Davis will share the load of being the "guy" and they are backed up by a team filled with veterans that have been there dont that before
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:09 pm    Post subject:

Polarbear wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

I think it is important to remember that he no longer carries the load by himself......Anthony Davis will share the load of being the "guy" and they are backed up by a team filled with veterans that have been there dont that before

once again, he has NEVER carried the load by himself. nothing new here.
Polarbear
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:49 pm    Post subject:

SuperboyReformed wrote:
Polarbear wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

once again, he has NEVER carried the load by himself. nothing new here.

Well I disagree.....and when I say that it is important for him to be more of a facilitator as he ages and has a young bonafied top 5 NBA counterpart.....

He will have his moments....and his box score will look awesome....but I think things will change as soon as this year in that regard.
Kobesystem
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:53 am    Post subject:

What will help Lebron is having a stack team and playing in an inferior conference.
scout0_0
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:56 am    Post subject:

I think LbJ will play for at least 6 more years. He can easily move to PF and he will still be just as athletic as draymond green is TODAY. He will always be a threat specially in the draymond role where he finds shooters after the p&r.
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:08 am    Post subject:

Nobody takes care of his body like Bron...MJ not even close with late night, cigar smoking poker games. Bron will be Bron for the next 2 years easily. After 36 it might get tougher but we’re good for 2 years at least.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:20 am    Post subject:

scout0_0 wrote:
I think LbJ will play for at least 6 more years. He can easily move to PF and he will still be just as athletic as draymond green is TODAY. He will always be a threat specially in the draymond role where he finds shooters after the p&r.

Why compare him to Green? The standout skills that Green relies on are the ones that James is disinterested in playing. It is called hustle and defense.

James will continue to find offensive or playmaking opportunities for a few more years. Somewhere between K. Malone and B. Diaw. depending on the athletic decline.

The problem is that James wants little to do with playing PF or the physical grind that comes with it. His comfort zone is on the perimeter. The man is incredibly talented and can likely put up 20/6/6 until 40 years old.

The question is can his team cover for his other weaknesses or will he want to be on the court as a shadow of himself or accept being paid consummate with his lesser role and influence. My prediction is he plays two more then retires.
trablos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:25 am    Post subject:

Just curious, have you had a chance to read this article?

https://grandstandcentral.com/2018/sections/tech/how-lebron-cheats-father-time/

While I agree with the premise of your post, Lebron is forcing us to re-think what is possible as he continues to push the limits of longevity. While I believe Wilt was the greatest athlete of all time, LBJ is probably 2nd and by far the most well-conditioned athlete. He literally treats his body like a corporation using only the most efficient cutting edge techniques to maintain his nutrition, cardiovascular, and muscular health, its quite remarkable. If I had to put money on it I'd say he has 3 years left playing at an MVP type level and can be an all star until 40 if he so chooses.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:12 am    Post subject:

trablos wrote:

Just curious, have you had a chance to read this article?

https://grandstandcentral.com/2018/sections/tech/how-lebron-cheats-father-time/

While I agree with the premise of your post, Lebron is forcing us to re-think what is possible as he continues to push the limits of longevity. While I believe Wilt was the greatest athlete of all time, LBJ is probably 2nd and by far the most well-conditioned athlete. He literally treats his body like a corporation using only the most efficient cutting edge techniques to maintain his nutrition, cardiovascular, and muscular health, its quite remarkable. If I had to put money on it I'd say he has 3 years left playing at an MVP type level and can be an all star until 40 if he so chooses.

I have read that article. You are correct about it being an interesting read. Outlining the lengths that James religiously goes to all year long to prepare, perform and preserve is remarkable. James should be respected for the science he has brought to the NBA.

But other athletes have used this type of science too. As a long time endurance athlete (marathons, cycling) I have followed other athletes attempts to recover, prepare and preserve too. Despite the attempts not all are successful. I hope James can push the limits of what we think is possible.

Lets also acknowledge that he is at or reaching some significant heights in his career mins. The grind of playing at such a high level and frequency from an early age cannot be discounted either. How many AAU games was he playing as a teenager without the benefit of using the recuperative science. Or just another 14 yr old powering down McDonalds before the next game?

Curious? Do you know how many years he has religiously followed this type of routine? As a rookie? At 25 yrs old? 30?

The man is a freak doing everything he can do to extend his career. I tend to be less optimistic about his level of play (MVP) for an extended time. Suppose it depends on how you define MVP level. Last year we saw a player barely breaking the top 10 player in the league IMO (and apparently MVP voters).

The real James or not? We will find out this year.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: