Ex-pitcher Dwight Gooden charged with drug possession
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:26 pm    Post subject: Ex-pitcher Dwight Gooden charged with drug possession

This isn't surprising if you watched the 30 for 30 on Doc and Darryl you wouldn't be either.

https://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory/pitcher-dwight-gooden-charged-drug-possession-64302770

Quote:
Ex-pitcher Dwight Gooden charged with drug possession

Former New York Mets pitcher Dwight Gooden has been charged with drug possession in New Jersey after a traffic stop last month.

Gooden's car was stopped by police in Holmdel, about 20 miles (30 kilometers) from New York, early on June 7 for failure to maintain a lane and driving too slow, according to a criminal complaint provided by the Monmouth County prosecutor's office.

Two plastic baggies allegedly containing cocaine were found in the 54-year-old Gooden's car.

Gooden has been charged with cocaine possession, possession of drug paraphernalia and being under the influence of drugs.

The New York Post was first to report on the criminal charges in a story published Friday.

Gooden's attorney, William Petrillo, asked the public to "reserve judgment."

He said that the former player "is a kind man with a generous heart, who continually volunteers his time doing charitable work. He is loved by many and has the full support of family and friends."

Gooden is scheduled to make an initial court appearance July 23.

The ex-pitcher won the National League Cy Young Award while with the Mets in 1985 and was a member of the Mets' 1986 World Series championship team. He also played for the New York Yankees.

He was suspended from baseball for part of the 1994 season and all of the 1995 season after testing positive for cocaine.

Yankees manager Aaron Boone called Gooden "a beloved figure in our game and uniquely in this town with the Mets and here with the Yankees.

"I think all of us probably in this room have dealt with people dealing with substance abuse, alcohol, whatever it may be," Boone continued. "I think we can all relate a little bit, feel for him and certainly, my heart goes out to Dwight."
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:41 pm    Post subject:

I thought he got clean. I read awhile back a former teammate of Doc's, Darryl Strawberry, who was also an addict, said Doc was a junkie and he feared for his life. That caused Doc to say he'd never speak to Darryl again. I don't know if the friendship has healed.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Last edited by jodeke on Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:46 am; edited 1 time in total
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:14 pm    Post subject:

Yeah, sadly not surprising.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:22 pm    Post subject:

Personally I don't care if someone does cocaine in their personal time. I don't see it as a police issue unless you are selling it in large quantities.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:25 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
Personally I don't care if someone does cocaine in their personal time. I don't see it as a police issue unless you are selling it in large quantities.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:37 pm    Post subject:

hate to sound cold....but done really caring about Doc. He has had more resources than most and he is either going to decide to get and stay clean or the drugs will kill him. All of the well wishes and prayers have not worked for 3 decades.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:38 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:

Come on Jodeke...he has been doing Coke since the 1980s from all practical appearances.

I am not saying it is a good thing for people to do, but I am saying it seems to be a reach that he is in immediate danger from it considering he has done it for at least the last 35 years yes?

Not saying I want him driving a car or anything, but let's not make it more than it really is....lots of people use drugs.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:42 am    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
jodeke wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:

Come on Jodeke...he has been doing Coke since the 1980s from all practical appearances.

I am not saying it is a good thing for people to do, but I am saying it seems to be a reach that he is in immediate danger from it considering he has done it for at least the last 35 years yes?

Not saying I want him driving a car or anything, but let's not make it more than it really is....lots of people use drugs.

Doc using isn't a surprise. He's been doing it for quite some time. It ruined a very promising career.

My astonishment is your saying you don't care if someone uses an illegal drug on their personal time. Also, when is breaking the law not a police matter?

Hammett
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:48 pm    Post subject:

I remember as a kid looking at his numbers on the back of his baseball card and being amazed. He had insane numbers straight into his first seasons in the big leagues.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:23 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:

My astonishment is your saying you don't care if someone uses an illegal drug on their personal time.

Why would you care what drug someone uses in their personal time if it isn't affecting others - illegal or otherwise?

The illegality of one intoxicant versus another is an arbitrary issue assigned by the government. Alcohol is legal, and other than a failed experiment about a century ago, always has been for the most part. A few years ago, pot was illegal everywhere, now it's becoming legal in more and more states. Coke is certainly not a drug one wants to abuse, but it's not one that really affects non users in the capacity that alcohol does.

So again, if something isn't hurting any second party and it's taking place for personal use, why impose your personal objections on others just because the government has decided to criminalize it?
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:25 pm    Post subject:

Hammett wrote:
I remember as a kid looking at his numbers on the back of his baseball card and being amazed. He had insane numbers straight into his first seasons in the big leagues.

oh man, Doc and Darryl was right around the time that I was becoming old enough to actually understand the game....appeared to be on a one way train to Cooperstown. Doc in '85
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:55 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:

My astonishment is your saying you don't care if someone uses an illegal drug on their personal time.

Why would you care what drug someone uses in their personal time if it isn't affecting others - illegal or otherwise?

The illegality of one intoxicant versus another is an arbitrary issue assigned by the government. Alcohol is legal, and other than a failed experiment about a century ago, always has been for the most part. A few years ago, pot was illegal everywhere, now it's becoming legal in more and more states. Coke is certainly not a drug one wants to abuse, but it's not one that really affects non users in the capacity that alcohol does.

So again, if something isn't hurting any second party and it's taking place for personal use, why impose your personal objections on others just because the government has decided to criminalize it?

If it's against the law, it's against the law. If someone uses meth and harms no one except him/herself, you wouldn't mind, you think it's OK? It's against the law! Your logic would make our laws subjective. That would mean you only have to follow the laws you think are OK as long as no one except yourself is harmed. As a society we'd disintegrate.

Yes drug laws are arbitrary. The drugs you mentioned were arbitrated and deemed legal. Just because they're legal doesn't remove the harm they cause but they are legal.

I don't suggest people smoke cigarettes even though they're legal they kill. I don't care if people smoke as long as they don't do it in non smoking areas. I don't like it but I don't mind.

If they make cocaine legal I wouldn't care who used it as long as users only hurt themselves. But that's not the point. Cocaine is illegal and it's use is subject to law.

You're saying you don't care if people break laws doing something for personnel use. You think it's okay as long as no one else is harmed. C'MON MAN!

adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:27 pm    Post subject:

^^^^you guys sure jodeke does not wear an elephant pen on his lapel? Just walk away.....
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:31 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
^^^^you guys sure jodeke does not wear an elephant pen on his lapel? Just walk away.....

Nope, I'm a Dem.

adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:15 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
adkindo wrote:

Nope, I'm a Dem.

I know...just got me all excited with the law and order stuff

I mostly agree with you that there are different laws that we all might not agree with, but at the end of the day we do not get immunity from breaking laws because we feel they are misguided. Even with the states legalizing marijuana, I am not against the states making the choice, but I do have an issue with leaving it on the Federal books while state after state legalizes. That just is not the correct path. People go to jail everyday for breaking Federal laws, yet we pretend a Federal law does not matter is certain states. Hard to square that circle. Before someone misunderstands, I am not some advocate against legalizing marijuana at the state level, I just believe it should be dealt with on the Federal level first.....then allow states to legislate and regulate as they choose.

In regards to Doc....I do not think his issues are mild social use, my understanding is that he is a flat out junkie..and although he has survived for 3 decades of use, he is a threat to himself everyday.
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:40 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:

If it's against the law, it's against the law. If someone uses meth and harms no one except him/herself, you wouldn't mind, you think it's OK? It's against the law! Your logic would make our laws subjective. That would mean you only have to follow the laws you think are OK as long as no one except yourself is harmed. As a society we'd disintegrate.

Yes drug laws are arbitrary. The drugs you mentioned were arbitrated and deemed legal. Just because they're legal doesn't remove the harm they cause but they are legal.

I don't suggest people smoke cigarettes even though they're legal they kill. I don't care if people smoke as long as they don't do it in non smoking areas. I don't like it but I don't mind.

If they make cocaine legal I wouldn't care who used it as long as users only hurt themselves. But that's not the point. Cocaine is illegal and it's use is subject to law.

You're saying you don't care if people break laws doing something for personnel use. You think it's okay as long as no one else is harmed. C'MON MAN!

If its a bad law I wont follow it tbh.

I have broken the law so many time because we live in a country that has way too many of them. I'm 100% sure you have too

If he isnt hurting anyone else I dont care that he broke the law, all durgs should be legal anyways
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:52 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:

If it's against the law, it's against the law. If someone uses meth and harms no one except him/herself, you wouldn't mind, you think it's OK? It's against the law!

Yes. I heard you the first time.

Quote:
Your logic would make our laws subjective.

No . . . our laws ARE subjective. It has nothing to do with my "logic". And that's the point.

Quote:
That would mean you only have to follow the laws you think are OK as long as no one except yourself is harmed. As a society we'd disintegrate.

That's a complete conflation of what is being said. No one is advocating a complete disregard for the law. So save the ridiculous intellectual dishonesty.

Quote:
Yes drug laws are arbitrary.The drugs you mentioned were arbitrated and deemed legal.

And before that they weren't legal. And there in lies the point. Something that was illegal a couple of years ago is now legal. Nothing else has changed except the laws. Same drugs. Different day.

Quote:
Just because they're legal doesn't remove the harm they cause but they are legal.

That's a completely different issue. We aren't discussing the personal harm. And here in lies the hypocrisy of your argument. By a matter of scale, alcohol does far more harm collectively to individuals, families and society than something like coke. But you don't care if people drink, because it is "legal". But if someone uses a different recreational substance like coke, you are against it because "it's against the law!". That's just lazy logic with empty justification.

Quote:
I don't suggest people smoke cigarettes even though they're legal they kill.

And no one even remotely suggested that people should use coke . . .

Quote:
I don't care if people smoke as long as they don't do it in non smoking areas. I don't like it but I don't mind.

But you do mind if someone engages in the personal use of something like coke, which doesn't inherently affect you, simply because the law makers say it is illegal - just like booze and pot used to be.

Quote:

Which is the same lame rationale that allowed lawmakers and law enforcement to incarcerate decent people for stupid possession laws in regards to pot. The law against recreational drug use doesn't have any affect on you in the context we are discussing, but as long as The Man tells you you need to care because it's "the law" you do.

It used to be against the law for certain people to drink from certain drinking fountains. The use of those drinking fountains by those who were forbidden didn't affect anybody. And if no one actually saw the person who was forbidden from using the drinking fountain, it affected absolutely no one! Same as if someone snorts a line of coke in their own home. But "it's illegal" right!? The law rules. So using the drinking fountain if you are not in the permitted group is something you'd be against . . . right? I mean, it IS the law!

Quote:
You're saying you don't care if people break laws doing something for personnel use. You think it's okay as long as no one else is harmed.

No. Again you are misrepresenting what was said. I'm saying that I don't care if someone engages in personal use of banned substances in contexts where it has no effect on anyone other than themselves. In no way does that indicate that I advocate for a complete disregard for the law because it suits someone.

Quote:
C'MON MAN!

That's what I would say to you and your strict adherence to the law even when it doesn't make sense nor matter to your daily life.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:02 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Even with the states legalizing marijuana, I am not against the states making the choice, but I do have an issue with leaving it on the Federal books while state after state legalizes. That just is not the correct path. People go to jail everyday for breaking Federal laws, yet we pretend a Federal law does not matter is certain states. Hard to square that circle.

The typical hypocrisy of the Right. "We don't want Big Government! State's rights are paramount! The right of ALL citizens should prevail!"

Unless of course it suits someone better for the Feds to trump the autonomy of the states to make their own laws.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:19 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Even with the states legalizing marijuana, I am not against the states making the choice, but I do have an issue with leaving it on the Federal books while state after state legalizes. That just is not the correct path. People go to jail everyday for breaking Federal laws, yet we pretend a Federal law does not matter is certain states. Hard to square that circle.

The typical hypocrisy of the Right. "We don't want Big Government! State's rights are paramount! The right of ALL citizens should prevail!"

Unless of course it suits someone better for the Feds to trump the autonomy of the states to make their own laws.

wow, you took out that strawman with ease.
Ted
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:23 pm    Post subject:

Drug laws are mainly in place to keep the prison industry complex in business. The government couldn't give two shts if you put toxins in your body, otherwise they would've banned coca cola, pepsi, mcdonalds, etc. Diabetes and heart disease kill more people than cocaine does every year.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:23 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:

If it's against the law, it's against the law. If someone uses meth and harms no one except him/herself, you wouldn't mind, you think it's OK? It's against the law!

Yes. I heard you the first time.

Quote:
Your logic would make our laws subjective.

No . . . our laws ARE subjective. It has nothing to do with my "logic". And that's the point.

Quote:
That would mean you only have to follow the laws you think are OK as long as no one except yourself is harmed. As a society we'd disintegrate.

That's a complete conflation of what is being said. No one is advocating a complete disregard for the law. So save the ridiculous intellectual dishonesty.

Quote:
Yes drug laws are arbitrary.The drugs you mentioned were arbitrated and deemed legal.

And before that they weren't legal. And there in lies the point. Something that was illegal a couple of years ago is now legal. Nothing else has changed except the laws. Same drugs. Different day.

Quote:
Just because they're legal doesn't remove the harm they cause but they are legal.

That's a completely different issue. We aren't discussing the personal harm. And here in lies the hypocrisy of your argument. By a matter of scale, alcohol does far more harm collectively to individuals, families and society than something like coke. But you don't care if people drink, because it is "legal". But if someone uses a different recreational substance like coke, you are against it because "it's against the law!". That's just lazy logic with empty justification.

Quote:
I don't suggest people smoke cigarettes even though they're legal they kill.

And no one even remotely suggested that people should use coke . . .

Quote:
I don't care if people smoke as long as they don't do it in non smoking areas. I don't like it but I don't mind.

But you do mind if someone engages in the personal use of something like coke, which doesn't inherently affect you, simply because the law makers say it is illegal - just like booze and pot used to be.

Quote:

Which is the same lame rationale that allowed lawmakers and law enforcement to incarcerate decent people for stupid possession laws in regards to pot. The law against recreational drug use doesn't have any affect on you in the context we are discussing, but as long as The Man tells you you need to care because it's "the law" you do.

It used to be against the law for certain people to drink from certain drinking fountains. The use of those drinking fountains by those who were forbidden didn't affect anybody. And if no one actually saw the person who was forbidden from using the drinking fountain, it affected absolutely no one! Same as if someone snorts a line of coke in their own home. But "it's illegal" right!? The law rules. So using the drinking fountain if you are not in the permitted group is something you'd be against . . . right? I mean, it IS the law!

Quote:
You're saying you don't care if people break laws doing something for personnel use. You think it's okay as long as no one else is harmed.

No. Again you are misrepresenting what was said. I'm saying that I don't care if someone engages in personal use of banned substances in contexts where it has no effect on anyone other than themselves. In no way does that indicate that I advocate for a complete disregard for the law because it suits someone.

Quote:
C'MON MAN!

That's what I would say to you and your strict adherence to the law even when it doesn't make sense nor matter to your daily life.

Though some laws may not make sense to you they're still the laws of the land. You're arguing for the sake of argument. Man that's a lot of page space.

Cocaine is against the law. You say you don't mind if people use if they don't harm others. OK if you feel that way it's your prerogative. It's still against the law.

You can inject a zillion scenarios but they won't change cocaine being against the law. My stance is cocaine is against the law and I was surprised by LL's post. You think it's okay to break the law if it only hurts the person breaking it. I disagree.

LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:04 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:

DMR stated what I was trying to convey more eloquently as usual.

Cocaine is not good for you. That said, just because it is illegal (80 years ago it was legal) to me doesn't mean anything. Alcohol and Cigarettes are legal and are a FAR bigger problem in the US then cocaine.

I lean Libertarian (sorry I know this isn't the political thread) in that I don't think it is the governments business what people are doing in their homes or bedrooms and such providing it isn't harming or infringing on other people rights.

Remember, it was "illegal" before much needed civil rights changes for blacks to use certain facilities, etc.

I am not saying everyone should do cocaine, but I am not outraged that people are doing it provided they are not endangering others.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:55 am    Post subject:

Coke has clearly f'd up Dwight Gooden, and I don't mean in the sense that it severely altered what probably would have been a Hall Of Fame baseball career. Just look at the dude. He doesn't look well; he looks sickly. That's years and years of drug abuse. He's not likely to see his seventies, and maybe not his sixties. (He's 54 now.)
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:39 am    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:

DMR stated what I was trying to convey more eloquently as usual.

Cocaine is not good for you. That said, just because it is illegal (80 years ago it was legal) to me doesn't mean anything. Alcohol and Cigarettes are legal and are a FAR bigger problem in the US then cocaine.

I lean Libertarian (sorry I know this isn't the political thread) in that I don't think it is the governments business what people are doing in their homes or bedrooms and such providing it isn't harming or infringing on other people rights.

Remember, it was "illegal" before much needed civil rights changes for blacks to use certain facilities, etc.

I am not saying everyone should do cocaine, but I am not outraged that people are doing it provided they are not endangering others.

I understand your position, I just don't agree with it.

LL you know I have respect for you and don't wish to engage in a debate. Equating civil right with drugs is a poor analogy.

Lets agree to disagree.

adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:15 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Coke has clearly f'd up Dwight Gooden, and I don't mean in the sense that it severely altered what probably would have been a Hall Of Fame baseball career. Just look at the dude. He doesn't look well; he looks sickly. That's years and years of drug abuse. He's not likely to see his seventies, and maybe not his sixties. (He's 54 now.)

and I bet you there are dozens of people that have been a part of his life that would take issue with the statement that "he is not hurting anyone else."
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: