Dwight Howard interested in re-joining Lakers (DWIGHT BACK TO LAKERS)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 13, 14, 15  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should the Lakers sign Dwight Howard?
Yes
24%
 24%  [ 65 ]
No
75%
 75%  [ 202 ]
Total Votes : 267

Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:33 am    Post subject:

Super Mega Team wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
Super Mega Team wrote:
To sign a player to only to keep him from other teams and then trade him off somewhere else is dishonest and a bad look. I don’t even understand why this is even being discussed. It frankly shows little to no understanding about how business ethics works.

You mean the way we encouraged a player to quit on his team and essentially boycott a season so he could force his way here?

Please... let's not go there.

And in response to 1947's earlier comment... sure, I'll tenaciously argue a point but I truly don't care if we get Dwight... I'm happy if he goes back to Atlanta where the team will be good but not dangerous.

It amazes me how pressed people get about him.

Strategy... nothing more.

I did want to give Boogie a chance though... Dwight, I don't care other than making sure he's not a Clipper.

Not even remotely the same. There you go with your ridiculous comparisons.

He has issues wherever he goes. That is well documented and undeniable. He’s not worth the headache or he would be on a team already. Period.

You're the one who started with business ethics discussions.

It's unethical to tamper with another team's player under contract.

Both actions seem distasteful to me.

What does Dwight care if we sign him and don't use him? He has few options... and if someone gets hurt... he gets a shot at rehabilitating his career on the premier team in the league. I don't see how that's less ethical than having AD boycott the Pelicans when he's under contract.

Your chemistry arguments are fair and valid... But I just think we have the vets to control him. I also think Doc can control him.

If he goes to Atlanta... fine.

I don't want him on the Clippers.
RG73
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:35 am    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:

But if we don't get him... at least we have the center edge.

Exactly, if we don't get him, we have the center edge because of AD, Cousins and Javale. Again, you continue to think that Howard is going to be able to slow down AD and Cousins simultaneously. Again, you think that one-and-one match ups are reflective of the game and ignore five man units.

This is literally something no other GM in the league is considering. No one is saying "we need to slow the Lakers centers down, let's sign Dwight!" He's unemployed and maybe unemployable at this point. If he was a key to slowing this team down, one of our rivals would have signed him. However, those GMs all have access to more data than your box score numbers. Therefore, is it possible that greater basketball minds with access to more granular data have discovered Dwight doesn't present any sort of real advantage in his match ups with the Lakers bigs? And is it possible that the Lakers don't care if someone signs this locker room problem to their team?

He's not a need, they're not going to sign him. And it would seem there may be a non-zero chance he winds up playing in China or something at this point.
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:37 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Check my posts on Boogie pre injury. I was ok with signing him as a FA.

I didn’t want him last year bc of his Achilles injury. Of course 1.5 years post injury at 3.5m in a one year deal I’m all for it.

You have to be intellectually flexible. Clips could sign him right now but likely won’t bc they know he’s a chemistry killer.

I am flexible... if he's on any team but one of the top ten Vegas odds for the title... I'm not worried.

I just want him in the east and I don't want him making some 30 for 30 comeback story against us.

Am I paranoid?... probably. Maybe he's terrible and you all can laugh at me next year.

But I don't want him on the Clippers.
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:42 am    Post subject:

RG73 wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:

But if we don't get him... at least we have the center edge.

Exactly, if we don't get him, we have the center edge because of AD, Cousins and Javale. Again, you continue to think that Howard is going to be able to slow down AD and Cousins simultaneously. Again, you think that one-and-one match ups are reflective of the game and ignore five man units.

This is literally something no other GM in the league is considering. No one is saying "we need to slow the Lakers centers down, let's sign Dwight!" He's unemployed and maybe unemployable at this point. If he was a key to slowing this team down, one of our rivals would have signed him. However, those GMs all have access to more data than your box score numbers. Therefore, is it possible that greater basketball minds with access to more granular data have discovered Dwight doesn't present any sort of real advantage in his match ups with the Lakers bigs? And is it possible that the Lakers don't care if someone signs this locker room problem to their team?

He's not a need, they're not going to sign him. And it would seem there may be a non-zero chance he winds up playing in China or something at this point.

Of course, I get those one vs one stats are flawed.

I post them purely in response to the idea that Dwight is trash and our players are so much better than him.

AD is obviously better than him.

Healthy Boogie is better than him.

Unhealthy Boogie or JaVale... I'm not so sure.

And then you have to ask is he more of an issue than Zubac or Harrell?

Again probably I'm worried over nothing... probably you guys are right... but why take that chance?

You act like the front office knows what they are doing... but they didn't last year, they didn't know the six previous years, and the jury is still out this year.

If this year is successful... then yes, I will start to assume again that they know more than we do.
RG73
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:03 am    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:

Again probably I'm worried over nothing... probably you guys are right... but why take that chance?

You act like the front office knows what they are doing...

No other front office is taking a chance on him. 30 out of 30 teams can't be wrong about him.

The team is keeping a roster spot open for Iggy or some other potential buyout candidate that fills a larger need than the redundancy of having 4 centers on the roster. That is the need--our need to guard wings and guards is greater than the need to have a 4th guy looking for minutes at the 5 spot or worrying about someone countering one of those guys.
blackmamba08
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:05 am    Post subject:

Of course no one wants Coward. he is cancer for any locker room. I think actually he will finish in China or retire. I cant see any team will pay him to destroy them.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:53 am    Post subject:

^
I don't believe Memphis has even waived him yet, so he can't sign with anyone or even officially have discussions with anyone. If and when he becomes a free agent, they'll be interest in him
Beir32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:55 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Clips can get him right now. Why haven’t they? I wonder why.
japanesebeef1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:59 am    Post subject:

Wasn't a champion when he was good.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:01 am    Post subject:

LakerFan87 wrote:
Let's sign Dwight and Carmelo so we can lead the league in wasted talent and loser-ism.

We already have Cousins
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:03 am    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
Dwight vs Boogie

Look at the difference in field goal percentage... 16% higher than AD, 18% higher than DMC in head to head matches. Also outrebounded him and doubled the number of blocks.

And that was when Boogie was healthy.

But sure, keep up the snappy one liners... because one liners win chips.

Keep him away from the Clippers.

I don't care if he's here... I just don't want him on any of our major rivals.

I really doubt that the Clippers would be interested
K2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:12 am    Post subject:

55 wrote:
K2 wrote:
55 wrote:
I can't think of a past Laker who's hated more than this clown.

No one else comes close, not even Smush and Tierre Brown.

edit: clarity

Dwight is like a boat to a team. Their 2 happiest days are when they sign him, and then when they get rid of him.

That sums up his career journey quite well. And also when teams realize they need to break out another ̶t̶h̶o̶u̶s̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶ trade for the b.o.a.t.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:09 pm    Post subject:

Let the Heat or Mavs sign him...lol
D-Shiznit
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:15 pm    Post subject:

I'd rather have Kwame Brown...
jewelsongs
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:16 pm    Post subject:

I haven't posted since 2015. Hell no to Howard!
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:12 pm    Post subject:

This feels like the ex that dumped you. Time goes by, you improved yourself A LOT and are much better than her right now. Now she suddenly realizes that you are better than her and wants you back.

And to make things even funnier she has gotten a lot less desirable with age.

Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:27 pm    Post subject:

K2 wrote:
55 wrote:
I can't think of a past Laker who's hated more than this clown.

No one else comes close, not even Smush and Tierre Brown.

edit: clarity

At least those guys didn’t come with the high expectations. They were frustrating but they weren’t really huge underachievers like Dwight was.

Dwight also compared himself to Batman after he left LA. Need I say more?
StoicChalice392
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:34 pm    Post subject:

This shouldn't even be a discussion. Not happening. No!!!
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:57 pm    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
Super Mega Team wrote:
To sign a player to only to keep him from other teams and then trade him off somewhere else is dishonest and a bad look. I don’t even understand why this is even being discussed. It frankly shows little to no understanding about how business ethics works.

You mean the way we encouraged a player to quit on his team and essentially boycott a season so he could force his way here?

Please... let's not go there.

And in response to 1947's earlier comment... sure, I'll tenaciously argue a point but I truly don't care if we get Dwight... I'm happy if he goes back to Atlanta where the team will be good but not dangerous.

It amazes me how pressed people get about him.

Strategy... nothing more.

I did want to give Boogie a chance though... Dwight, I don't care other than making sure he's not a Clipper.

Assuming that Dwight is waived, I suspect a number of contending teams will meet with him and be interested in him for the minimum.

So the Lakers would have to spell out the role they see for him, and it will need to be something more than sitting on the bench so another team doesn't get him.

If a team isn't willing to give him 15-20 minutes a game, I don't see why he'd sign with them.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:58 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
LakerFan87 wrote:
Let's sign Dwight and Carmelo so we can lead the league in wasted talent and loser-ism.

We already have Cousins

Oh man, u gonna diss slim DeMarcus like that? Not cool VCF
kobe_luver
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:58 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
LakerFan87 wrote:

We already have Cousins

Are you seriously putting Cousins in the same category as Dwight (and Melo)?
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:09 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:

Assuming that Dwight is waived, I suspect a number of contending teams will meet with him and be interested in him for the minimum.

So the Lakers would have to spell out the role they see for him, and it will need to be something more than sitting on the bench so another team doesn't get him.

If a team isn't willing to give him 15-20 minutes a game, I don't see why he'd sign with them.

After spending some time in NBA purgatory... playing in no name markets like Charlotte and Atlanta... I think he'd finally appreciate playing at the center of the NBA universe... whether it was with us or the Clippers.

As I said, I agree he could be a cancer... but that's where the Laker vets and three ex coaches need to tell him to shut the f*ck up.

I've already resigned myself to the fact that we won't sign him... but the idea was fine in principle.

Hopefully the Clippers management feels the way the majority of you all feel.
japanesebeef1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:26 pm    Post subject:

ElginBaylor wrote:
Hold on now, let's look at this objectively. DH could be a guy off the bench who could come in and get us a few stops and maybe have an impact. Or he could be a guy who would be an insurance policy when any of our other bogs go down.....

BUT HE'S NOT AND NO F#$CKING WAY SHOULD WE EVER CONSIDER GIVING THAT BIG BABY ANOTHER CHANCE.

Any one but Dwight . . .
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:51 pm    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
activeverb wrote:

After spending some time in NBA purgatory... playing in no name markets like Charlotte and Atlanta... I think he'd finally appreciate playing at the center of the NBA universe... whether it was with us or the Clippers.

As I said, I agree he could be a cancer... but that's where the Laker vets and three ex coaches need to tell him to shut the f*ck up.

I've already resigned myself to the fact that we won't sign him... but the idea was fine in principle.

Hopefully the Clippers management feels the way the majority of you all feel.

I wouldn't be shocked to see him on the Clippers. They are weak at center and don't have the baggage we do with him. If they buy that he's been humbled by the last few years and just wants to contribute, why not take a flyer.

Besides, I think they are still going to make some deals, so I am not betting their current 1-2 centers are still going to be around on opening day. I think our roster is pretty much set.
Ingram14
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:33 pm    Post subject:

He’s trying to do what every other free agent does to the Lakers, mentions he might be interested in signing with them, just to put pressure and gain leverage with the team he actually wants to go to.

Except this time no one is buying his BS.

Maybe the clippers fall for it and he’ll go in there and ruin the locker room just like the last 7 teams he was on.

How many times can you state, “I left the team worse than when I arrived” before you look in the mirror and reassess.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 7 of 15
Jump to: