Do you think that LeBron is still the best player in the world?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you think that LeBron is still the best player in the world?
Yes
42%
 42%  [ 56 ]
No
57%
 57%  [ 75 ]
Total Votes : 131

lakersfan8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:50 am    Post subject:

The interesting part of this debate is there’s no consensus who’s the best player right now. It was Kobe/TD about 10 years ago and then Lebron earned that title. Then KD started taking over the league. Supposedly after KD starts declining, Giannis is probably the next one to take over but he is currently not at that elite level yet. KL just won the FMVP so he might be seen as the best player but I don’t think he is much superior than the players that others have mentioned. I think there is a group of very good players in the league right now and none of them can be viewed as better than another. Lebron is at the border of that group.
lakurluv
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:46 am    Post subject:

He will have a chance to prove it this coming season!
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:02 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
LandsbergerRules wrote:
trablos wrote:
Playoff Lebron is without a doubt the deadliest player in basketball, by a pretty decent margin. I couldn't care less about the best regular season player.

Last time we saw playoff Lebron was at age 33. A couple years makes a world of difference for athletes in their mid 30s. Hope he's still in there somewhere.

Last time we saw Lebron in the playoffs was one year and one month ago, when he put up 35-9-10 in the finals against Golden State.

And he'll be nearly another year older by the time the Finals roll around next year, so I honestly don't expect the same type of dominance anymore. Hopefully his dropoff isn't too precipitous and is compensated for by the emergence of a prime AD.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:24 am    Post subject:

I'd recommend people listen to the LFR podcast. Pete points out that LBJ had zero space last year b/c of all our poor outside shooters (Lonzo/BI/Kuz/JaV).

Now he will have plenty of space with all our shooters, and additional playmakers/finishers like AD and Boogie.

I'd say LBJ had a depressed season b/c of the poor fit around him and yet managed 27/8/8. This is why I'm bullish on him being a top 5 MVP candidate this year.
laker50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:53 am    Post subject:

One thing the coaches and FO have to take into account is the aging of Lebron.
He will probably stay a top 10 player throughout his career. But will not dominate like he used to.
But Lebron will still be a valuable scorer, playmaker, and playoff defender.
He is a second coach on the floor like Rondo.

The Lakers will HAVE to cut his minutes if they want to keep him for three more years or more. And it will also mean AD most likely stays also.

Sign a backup SF now. There are more than enough shooters.
Krispy Kreme
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:41 pm    Post subject:

If he’s healthy , yes. He affects the game more than Kawhi or Paul George.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:31 pm    Post subject:

Vin wrote:
In the playoffs I think he still is the man.

He was unreal his last time around in the playoffs, I think the extra rest and much better team depth this season bodes well for him and for us.

I am not sure he is flat out the best player in the league anymore, but it would be foolish to discount him from that conversation for sure.

I look for a huge season from him this year, you know he had to hate the dud last season turned out to be.
Wilkes52
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:53 pm    Post subject:

I think LeBron is easily the most accomplished player who is active in this season's NBA. But in terms of his chances to dominate (deliver relative competitive greatness) throughout the season, he's been passed by a handful or two younger players. Personally, I doubt he has the same type of desire to work hard on his conditioning as he did before winning a title in CLE.

I figure we will see him at best a league top ten player one more time, but not see him a top five player. Love to see surprise me in a good way though.

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
Beir32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:15 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
I'd recommend people listen to the LFR podcast. Pete points out that LBJ had zero space last year b/c of all our poor outside shooters (Lonzo/BI/Kuz/JaV).

Now he will have plenty of space with all our shooters, and additional playmakers/finishers like AD and Boogie.

I'd say LBJ had a depressed season b/c of the poor fit around him and yet managed 27/8/8. This is why I'm bullish on him being a top 5 MVP candidate this year.

Once again I believe that's it's a good time to emphesize how poorly the roster construction was with Magic Johnson in charge.
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:26 pm    Post subject:

Wilkes52 wrote:
I think LeBron is easily the most accomplished player who is active in this season's NBA. But in terms of his chances to dominate (deliver relative competitive greatness) throughout the season, he's been passed by a handful or two younger players. Personally, I doubt he has the same type of desire to work hard on his conditioning as he did before winning a title in CLE.

I figure we will see him at best a league top ten player one more time, but not see him a top five player. Love to see surprise me in a good way though.

I'm slightly more optimistic. I think he will be a Top 5 player one last time this season, but will drop off from there. During his option year in the 2021-2022 season, he will no longer be in the Top 10.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:29 pm    Post subject:

LandsbergerRules wrote:
activeverb wrote:
LandsbergerRules wrote:
trablos wrote:
Playoff Lebron is without a doubt the deadliest player in basketball, by a pretty decent margin. I couldn't care less about the best regular season player.

Last time we saw playoff Lebron was at age 33. A couple years makes a world of difference for athletes in their mid 30s. Hope he's still in there somewhere.

Last time we saw Lebron in the playoffs was one year and one month ago, when he put up 35-9-10 in the finals against Golden State.

And he'll be nearly another year older by the time the Finals roll around next year, so I honestly don't expect the same type of dominance anymore. Hopefully his dropoff isn't too precipitous and is compensated for by the emergence of a prime AD.

I don't get worried about the unknowable future. He played great in the playoffs a year ago. He was playing great last season before the injury. I'm not worried.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:48 am    Post subject:

Not regular season.
He has to pace himself.
That is why a deep team and AD were so important.

Lebron should pace himself in the RS. No MVPs or anything like that. Minutes shouldn't get too much more than 34 a game.

Then playoffs, crank it up. That's when he has to prove his greatness again.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5
Jump to: