The Sixers scare me more than the Clippers
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:47 am    Post subject: The Sixers scare me more than the Clippers

The Clippers should have a great team, no doubt. But they lack any true big men and will have trouble matching up with AD, McGee and Cousins (if Cousins can still play at a high level, which is a big if).

The only team I'm not confident about beating is Philly.

PG - Simmons
SG - Richardson
SF - Harris
PF - Horford
C - Embiid

Embiid is a true superstar, and Simmons is a decent jumper away from being maybe a borderline superstar. Horford is a real good multi-faceted complementary player, and Richardson and Harris are real good players as well.

Four of their five starters are at least 6-foot-9, and their "shortest" starter is Richardson at 6-foot-6.

That team can play an uptempo game, but they'll also be tough to deal with in a slow, halfcourt game as well.

Only question I have about the Sixers is if their bench is good enough. But I think they're the best team in the east.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:58 am    Post subject: Re: The Sixers scare me more than the Clippers

Simmons will struggle with how slow that starting lineup will want to play. Simmons shines in the full court. Not the half court. I suspect he'll get alot of the blame and will be shopped eventually if/when they struggle.

Kudos to Elton Brand though. He's been a fantastic GM since taking over. He lost Reddick and Butler. But rebounded VERY well with J. Richardson and Horford.

I have my doubts Brett Brown will outcoach Budenholzer in a playoff series. So I doubt we'll run into PHI in the finals (if we make it out of the West).
blackmamba08
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:10 am    Post subject:

With the team we have I only fear the injuries. There is no other team that I am afraid off if we are healthy.
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:18 am    Post subject:

I am not afraid of the Sixers because they will not make it out of the East. I am afraid of the Pacers. They had a GREAT off season. They got Brogdon, Lamb, TJ Warren, and McConnell. Victor will be healthy and they will have the best 3 point shooting team in the league.
jumpinmp
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:27 am    Post subject:

RI Laker wrote:
I am not afraid of the Sixers because they will not make it out of the East. I am afraid of the Pacers. They had a GREAT off season. They got Brogdon, Lamb, TJ Warren, and McConnell. Victor will be healthy and they will have the best 3 point shooting team in the league.

You're scared of Jeremy Lamb, TJ Warren, and TJ McConnell? Did I get all those names right?
jumpinmp
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:32 am    Post subject:

They could be a really tough half court team with Embiid and Horford in the front court, plus all the length they have on the perimeter. I think we matchup favorably though. Lebron is still probably better than Embiid or Simmons and I think Anthony Davis certainly is.

I still think the Clips are going to be the toughest. They were a scrappy team that made the playoffs last year that lost a rookie and Galinari and added the big 2.
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:14 am    Post subject:

jumpinmp wrote:
RI Laker wrote:

You're scared of Jeremy Lamb, TJ Warren, and TJ McConnell? Did I get all those names right?

Yes. They won 48 games last season while Victor only played 36 games. Brogdon (who you failed to mention) is a stud, and the guys you mentioned are good bench players. Yes, you got those names right.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:26 am    Post subject:

No one (bleep) scares me. That is all...
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:26 am    Post subject:

Sixers don't scare me, in a playoff finals, we have the top-2 players from both teams
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:07 am    Post subject:

Sixers don't scare me, Simmons will disappear during the playoffs
Harlemlakerfan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:51 am    Post subject:

If your scared, get a Dog! We have a tough team, a big team, an experienced team, a deep team, a good coaching staff and 2 of the top 5 players in the league.

We have everything you need to win a title. Bring all the smoke!!!!
lakersfan8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:03 am    Post subject:

On paper they have the most complete starting lineup. However, they lack the go-to-guy scorer when they need a bucket
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:21 am    Post subject:

ya they're in the top tier of teams, LAL, LAC, Phil. one of those is winning it all
Harlemlakerfan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:23 am    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
ya they're in the top tier of teams, LAL, LAC, Phil. one of those is winning it all

People are really under estimating the loss of Jimmy and JJ Redick. Yes, Philly improved in some areas but they lost a lot.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:41 am    Post subject:

Harlemlakerfan wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:

People are really under estimating the loss of Jimmy and JJ Redick. Yes, Philly improved in some areas but they lost a lot.

I personally like Richardson a lot.. And Tobias should have a better year.. I'm in on them. Maybe I'm underestimating Jimmy cuz I'm not a fan of his declining game.. and I know JJ is a great release valve , always can run a play for him..
Rek
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:51 am    Post subject:

Who's defending the wing for Philly? Richardson is decent, but, can only do so much. Ennis is a pretty good defender, but, will only be playing bench minutes. Harris is a tall tweener and not a good defender. Simmons isn't fast enough. Who creates shots when they need a bucket in crunch time?

Philly has tremendous size and some good talent. But, they really don't scare me. Besides, what are the odds of Embiid actually being healthy for an entire playoff run?
NBALakerLegends
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:00 am    Post subject:

The loss of Butler and Reddick means that they lost their best shooter and floor spacer along with their 4th quarter/secondary playmaker and clutch bucket maker. That will really hurt their offense next season.

The additions of Horford and Richardson should definitely help their defense and now they have a backup Center as well. However, the two aforementioned issues were not addressed with these additions.

In totality, this Sixers team's offense will be worse than last year due to their shooting, playmaking and clutchness taking a hit. Their defense will look better throughout the game though.

In the playoffs, game planning for the Sixers shouldn't be that hard on defense as Simmons still can't shoot and unless Embiid raises his 3 ball to 35%+ most teams will let him shoot the 3.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:01 am    Post subject:

AFireInside619 wrote:
No one (bleep) scares me. That is all...

ESPN seems to scare you
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:02 am    Post subject:

Who is making jumpers for Philly?
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:04 am    Post subject:

I’m looking to get out of the West first before worrying about Philly.

I’m also skeptical of Philly until:

A) Simmons gets opponent to respect shooting threat. Can’t play 4 on 5 in the playoffs.

B) Embiid shows that nagging injuries won’t always be an issue.
PRLakeShow
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:14 am    Post subject:

I don't worry about teams in the opposing conference.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: The Sixers scare me more than the Clippers

slavavov wrote:
The Clippers should have a great team, no doubt. But they lack any true big men and will have trouble matching up with AD, McGee and Cousins (if Cousins can still play at a high level, which is a big if).

The only team I'm not confident about beating is Philly.

PG - Simmons
SG - Richardson
SF - Harris
PF - Horford
C - Embiid

Embiid is a true superstar, and Simmons is a decent jumper away from being maybe a borderline superstar. Horford is a real good multi-faceted complementary player, and Richardson and Harris are real good players as well.

Four of their five starters are at least 6-foot-9, and their "shortest" starter is Richardson at 6-foot-6.

That team can play an uptempo game, but they'll also be tough to deal with in a slow, halfcourt game as well.

Only question I have about the Sixers is if their bench is good enough. But I think they're the best team in the east.

All the top teams have question marks, including us. The 76ers are: Will they be done in by Simmons lack of shooting, and will Horford's decline on defense continue? But, sure, they are in the mix. On paper, they probably have the best starting five from 1-5.
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:08 am    Post subject:

I don't think any team in the league is any scarier than us. The only thing that would be "scary" imo is all our talent not gelling as a unit.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:23 am    Post subject:

Not worried about the Sixers too much We match up incredibly well with them.

They're easy to guard. Just stay in man coverage, let whoever is covering Simmons completely sag off to double Joel. Dare Simmons to shoot. Same way Phil used to do Rondo. Maybe even let LeBron guard him to avoid having him chase Richardson or Harris around.

But I think Philly took a step back from last year. Not in talent per se, but in terms of fit. IMO, Simmons is a PF. Harris is a PF. and Horford is a C. They've got 3 guys to of position. Defensively, their size could be problematic at times but if Boogie rounds into form, Horford and Embiid are going are going to be tripping over themselves to stay in front of Davis.

Unless Simmons takes a major step forward and makes shots, let alone just takes them, they're going to struggle to manufacture points come playoffs with their paint so clogged up.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:30 am    Post subject:

Any team that relies heavily on a player who doesnt/can't shoot relatively well from outside the paint doesn't scare me in a 7 game series.

Hello, Philly. Hello, Milwaukee.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: