cook vs daniels - why did we sign both?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nomoreshaq
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:10 am    Post subject: cook vs daniels - why did we sign both?

most of the roster seems relatively balanced. i believe the top 8 rotation players will be:

cousins (C)
mcgee (C)
davis (F)
lebron (F)
kuz (F)
green (G)
KCP (G)
bradley (G)

3 guards, 3 forwards, 2 centers - seems reasonable and fine.

THT and Caruso are probably long bench depth players that will see minimal time and be largely practice players until our depth gets depleted. that leaves us with 4 other depth players

Rondo (G) - makes sense. continuity. minimum player. good leader i guess? playoff rondo. can shoot the 3.
Dudley (F) - hard nosed goon and forward position backup. can shoot the 3.

So that leaves us with Daniels (G) and Cook (G). Both small guards, can shoot the 3, can't defend. So why the heck do we have both???
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:13 am    Post subject:

Who was the bigger guard who can shoot and defend that was left in Free Agency that you would have preferred we sign?
nomoreshaq
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:15 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Who was the bigger guard who can shoot and defend that was left in Free Agency that you would have preferred we sign?

why both though? isn't that redundant?
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:18 am    Post subject:

The reason why we signed both is because we sucked at 3pt shooting last year and both guys were 40% from 3 last year.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:18 am    Post subject:

nomoreshaq wrote:
ocho wrote:

I think they envision Cook as a 1 and Daniels as a 2. They want shooters on the floor at all times at all positions (except, of course, when JaVale plays). We needed guards and we had to pick from what was left. So who would you have preferred?
crazylakerfan001
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:23 am    Post subject:

Daniels got signed for the minimum. He’s probably better than 90 % of the players that signed minimums.

Cook I envision him getting better. Remember he was the backup for Curry so he knows how he moves and can emulate that to the best of his abilities. With Davis and Lebron he’s gonna get a lot of wide open looks.
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:23 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
The reason why we signed both is because we sucked at 3pt shooting last year and both guys were 40% from 3 last year.

adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:33 am    Post subject:

because Lebron called Pelinka after Daniels had agreed to a contract, and requested Pelinka sign Cook.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:35 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
nomoreshaq wrote:
ocho wrote:

I think they envision Cook as a 1 and Daniels as a 2. They want shooters on the floor at all times at all positions (except, of course, when JaVale plays). We needed guards and we had to pick from what was left. So who would you have preferred?

This. Even if Cook's ballhandling/playmaking isn't superb, he still played "PG" in college and in the NBA. Daniels is a straight catch and shoot guy.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:37 am    Post subject:

Both are role players. Both will get mins dependent on how well they are shooting and putting in effective hard work on defense. Or injuries.

Doubt either stands out or reliably "takes over" any time this season. Both will have their moments both good and bad. Same as most of the bench.

Vogel will have to manage who is hot and making an impact all season long. How well he does his job managing mpg for the entire team will make him the COY or a mid season firing.
The Juggernaut
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:38 am    Post subject:

Would’ve rather Rob try to get Wilson Chandler over Daniels but its nothing to worry about. At least we know these dudes can shoot and make FTs
Lakers_Jester
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:23 am    Post subject:

Yep its officially the offseason.

Maybe when one cant get it going the other maybe can. Or load management reasons. Or just having bench depth and injury insurance. Lineup combos. Etc etc
ducasse2
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:36 am    Post subject:

The Juggernaut wrote:
Would’ve rather Rob try to get Wilson Chandler over Daniels but its nothing to worry about. At least we know these dudes can shoot and make FTs

Chandler's career 3PT% is only 34%. They wanted shooters.
CRoost
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:50 am    Post subject:

Both cheap insurance policy. At least one of them will be gone next year. I believe Caruso will beat both them in our rotation so I expect them to do more towel waving and some situation shooting.
Super Mega Team
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:51 am    Post subject:

Depth.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: cook vs daniels - why did we sign both?

nomoreshaq wrote:
most of the roster seems relatively balanced. i believe the top 8 rotation players will be:

cousins (C)
mcgee (C)
davis (F)
lebron (F)
kuz (F)
green (G)
KCP (G)
bradley (G)

3 guards, 3 forwards, 2 centers - seems reasonable and fine.

THT and Caruso are probably long bench depth players that will see minimal time and be largely practice players until our depth gets depleted. that leaves us with 4 other depth players

Rondo (G) - makes sense. continuity. minimum player. good leader i guess? playoff rondo. can shoot the 3.
Dudley (F) - hard nosed goon and forward position backup. can shoot the 3.

So that leaves us with Daniels (G) and Cook (G). Both small guards, can shoot the 3, can't defend. So why the heck do we have both???

Cook is a good-shooting PG with finals experience who came cheap. Daniels is a good-shooting SG who came for the minimum. You have to fill the team out with someone and cheap shooters is an understandable choice. Who exactly do you wish we had instead?
The Juggernaut
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:16 am    Post subject:

ducasse2 wrote:
The Juggernaut wrote:

Chandler's career 3PT% is only 34%. They wanted shooters.

Shot 37% last season and he's an athletic wing defender and can play SF/PF
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:20 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
because Lebron called Pelinka after Daniels had agreed to a contract, and requested Pelinka sign Cook.

Wrong. Pelinka was on the phone with Caruso every 45 mins, even interrupting his movie. Caruso said, “Get me a cook!” Thus, Quinn Cook was signed.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:37 am    Post subject:

AFireInside619 wrote:
adkindo wrote:

Wrong. Pelinka was on the phone with Caruso every 45 mins, even interrupting his movie. Caruso said, “Get me a cook!” Thus, Quinn Cook was signed.

I was not a fan of the Cook signing until I read that Lebron made the request....still not really a fan of it, but I get it. It is a pretty small request from your superstar if I am Pelinka.....plus Lebron and AD both have personal relationships with him. Every time you add a player to a locker room, there is some % that it could go bad.....but being close with your two stars is about as big of a guarantee as you can get that it will be a locker room fit.

I think Daniels adds more to the team, and I expect his shooting % to climb this year with our talent around him.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:39 am    Post subject:

We are fortunate to have this type of depth.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:40 am    Post subject:

Cook didn’t play PG for the Warriors, I’m not sure where that thinking comes from. I think that Daniels was signed as a cheap shooter around Lebron/AD/Kawhi. I don’t see where either signing is bad for the team.
Chick's Magic Johnson
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:58 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Cook didn’t play PG for the Warriors, I’m not sure where that thinking comes from. I think that Daniels was signed as a cheap shooter around Lebron/AD/Kawhi. I don’t see where either signing is bad for the team.

Huh? Wasn't he basically Steph's backup?
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:03 pm    Post subject:

Chick's Magic Johnson wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

I can't say I watched or at least recall much of GSW last year during the regular season. It had always been Livingston in previous years. If it was Cook, I am sure they made sure he was on the court with another player with primary initiator abilities, so he could play off ball. Maybe he played on ball in limited minutes.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:05 pm    Post subject:

Chick's Magic Johnson wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

He was mainly a stand in the corner guy. When he tried driving the ball it was usually a failure. When the bench was in Iggy and Livingston ran the offense.
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:10 pm    Post subject:

What’s the issue with having depth? Injuries happen over the course of an 82 game regular season.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: