Lakers felt they got played by Kawhi (Leonard responds: “Lakers didn’t have to wait for me” pg.17)
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nash Vegas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:35 am    Post subject: Lakers felt they got played by Kawhi (Leonard responds: “Lakers didn’t have to wait for me” pg.17)

https://www.silverscreenandroll.com/2019/7/19/20700853/nba-free-agency-rumors-lakers-raptors-kawhi-leonard-clippers-lebron-james-rob-pelinka

Quote:
“I’ve heard complaints in the days after the signing. I heard complaints from the Lakers that they got played. Heard complaints from the Raptors, that Kawhi came in and asked for the sun, the moon, the stars, and then left them at the altar.”

Last edited by Nash Vegas on Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:30 pm; edited 3 times in total
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:36 am    Post subject:

We all did.
He'll pay for it.
ReaListik
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:37 am    Post subject:

That’s because he did play both organizations and screwed with OKC as well. He’s a douche
Nash Vegas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:38 am    Post subject:

Which is worst?

PG not giving the Lakers a meeting?

Kawhi giving Lakers a meeting but really just using the Lakers so he could meet with PG around the same area with no intention of signing with the Lakers anyway?
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:39 am    Post subject:

epak wrote:
We all did.
He'll pay for it.

If anyone thought that he was coming here after the report he tried getting KD to join him with the Clippers then they were being blindly optimistic.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:40 am    Post subject:

See you in the playoffs.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:48 am    Post subject:

The only thing that bothers me is the Lakers FO not being able to see it.

My source, who is a clippers hater, even said it’s looking like clippers. He was right again.

Otherwise, game on. Let’s make sure he doesn’t win a chip with the clippers.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:54 am    Post subject:

Nash Vegas wrote:
Which is worst?

PG not giving the Lakers a meeting?

Kawhi giving Lakers a meeting but really just using the Lakers so he could meet with PG around the same area with no intention of signing with the Lakers anyway?

The latter imo.
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:57 am    Post subject:

I wanted KL just like everyone. It could turn out to be a blessing in disguise like many of the guys we missed out on. The Clippers are not going to be as good as people think.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:58 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
The only thing that bothers me is the Lakers FO not being able to see it.

My source, who is a clippers hater, even said it’s looking like clippers. He was right again.

Otherwise, game on. Let’s make sure he doesn’t win a chip with the clippers.

I mean, what would have been the alternative?
There has to be some timeline as to when you thought they should have known. Jump ship mid way through free agency?
They were making contingency plans by overpaying some guys to hold out (i.e. kcp, green, etc.). Should they have gone after other max FAs?

What would be the timing?
Give up after the meeting?
Give up before the meeting?

Imagine if the Lakers didnt pursue him, and the Clippers got him w/o needing to trade away the players and picks for PG. Or worse, what if the clippers didnt have to trade as much for PG?

Side: I think when PG re-signed with OKC, they had an understanding that if he wanted to be traded at anytime during his contract, OKC would try to oblige.
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:00 am    Post subject:

We were the …. under glass. Break open in the case the trade falls through. Sucks being in the friend zone don't it?
akk7
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:05 am    Post subject:

Kawhi did nothing wrong. He played it masterfully for himself as a free agent. That's what he is supposed to do. Look out for himself. He owes nothing to these mutli-billion dollar organizations. The Lakers knew the risk and they went all in as they should.

Laker fans being salty is becoming a yearly thing. PG being a coward, now this. Ridiculous.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:05 am    Post subject:

Obviously I wish we had better intel. That being said, we did the right thing at the time. You go after him to try to form an all time trio of LBJ/AD/KL. Very Dr. Buss to go that way.

Again, we had bad intel. And so did the Raps who won a ring with him and had the chance to court him for a year.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:07 am    Post subject:

To me, it sounds like Leonard did a great job of negotiating.

He kept potential fallback deals in place while he worked for the deal he really wanted. That left his options open and made the Clippers work harder to give him what he wanted.

As long as he didn't lie to anyone, and there's no indication he did, I don't see anything wrong with what he did. It was just hardball, big league stuff.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:10 am    Post subject:

epak wrote:
We all did.
He'll pay for it.

I bet they thought he was going to sign a 2+1 deal.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:12 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:

He kept potential fallback deals in place while he worked for the deal he really wanted. That left his options open and made the Clippers work harder to give him what he wanted.

As long as he didn't lie to anyone, and there's no indication he did, I don't see anything wrong with what he did. It was just hardball, big league stuff.

He worked us all over. Ruthless in getting what he wanted. Went Black Mamba up on it. Unfortunately it was not our team he selected.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:13 am    Post subject:

I don't give a (bleep) anymore.

Just want to kick his ass during the playoffs.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:23 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
activeverb wrote:

He worked us all over. Ruthless in getting what he wanted. Went Black Mamba up on it. Unfortunately it was not our team he selected.

I wouldn't even call what he did ruthless.

He talked with several teams. When his preferred choice, the Clippers, pulled together the deal he wanted, he signed with them.

I wouldn't expect him to tell the suiters where they ranked in preference, or to tell them he was lobbying other players to join him. That isn't being ruthless; that's simply being logical. I've done similar things when I was negotiating job deals with several potential employers; I'd express enthusiasm for one even while hoping for the other. That's pretty common.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:25 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
activeverb wrote:

He talked with several teams. When his preferred choice, the Clippers, pulled together the deal he wanted, he signed with them.

I wouldn't expect him to tell the suiters where they ranked in preference, or to tell them he was lobbying other players to join him. That isn't being ruthless; that's simply being logical. I've done similar things when I was negotiating job deals with several potential employers; I'd express enthusiasm for one even while hoping for the other. That's pretty common.

Well, it's ruthless in the sense that it actually impacted the Lakers ability to get an alternate max player. You may be affecting your industry, but the NBA is an even smaller and insular industry. He for sure hurt us in that respect.
Japago
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:25 am    Post subject:

I'm disappointed in the front office if they never had at chance at him and couldn't see it.

The detail of whether or not they had a shot at him makes a big difference for me. I can understand them taking a chance if they did have a chance, but I think a good front office should be able to recognize when they don't have a chance at someone.

As for how much they may have missed out, I wonder if they had a shot at Jimmy or Kemba?
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:26 am    Post subject:

all I want is the Lakers whooping the Clippers.. next year when we meet them 4 times in the regular season.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:26 am    Post subject:

Meh. We know we got played as did the Raptors. This article sounds like Windbag just wanting to rub it in our faces.
AllorNothing
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:29 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
activeverb wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
activeverb wrote:

Well, it's ruthless in the sense that it actually impacted the Lakers ability to get an alternate max player. You may be affecting your industry, but the NBA is an even smaller and insular industry. He for sure hurt us in that respect.

The only max player we could gone for was probably jimmy butler. Otherwise I dont see us with any other max player. Irving looks like he was set with Brooklyn. Kemba stone wasn't a max player.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:31 am    Post subject:

For what it’s worth, I won’t be shocked if the so-called insiders who were claiming KL to Lakers being a done deal were shocked to hear that we got spurned, what’s also obvious is that we were used for a couple of days while Kawhi waited for the Clippers to trade for a 2nd star.. that is when we were essentially being fooled that Kawhi to Lakers was a done deal.

Last edited by Inspector Gadget on Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:33 am; edited 1 time in total
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:33 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

I guess this is semantics, but I wouldn't call that ruthless myself. Everyone was simply acting in their own self-interest.

Kawhi made it clear he wasn't going to be rushed, and the teams that waited for him knew they were taking a gamble. We had the option of giving him a deadline or pulling out at any time but we chose not to.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Page 1 of 24
Jump to: