Lakers felt they got played by Kawhi (Leonard responds: “Lakers didn’t have to wait for me” pg.17)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 22, 23, 24  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:35 am    Post subject:

Japago wrote:
I'm disappointed in the front office if they never had at chance at him and couldn't see it.

We have no idea if that's true or not. No way of knowing what he would have done if the Clippers hadn't be able to swing a deal for George.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:42 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Japago wrote:
I'm disappointed in the front office if they never had at chance at him and couldn't see it.

We have no idea if that's true or not. No way of knowing what he would have done if the Clippers hadn't be able to swing a deal for George.

That’s basically what I just posted as well, multiple insiders were saying KL to Lakers was a done deal, then out of no where the Clippers trade for Paul George... to me it sounds like different parties were being fooled which sucks because it definitely makes it seem like the Lakers are being used for different reasons.
kwase
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:44 am    Post subject:

He's still coming to the Lakers, after lebron goes away. He can leave the clippers in 2 years.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:46 am    Post subject:

kwase wrote:
He's still coming to the Lakers, after lebron goes away. He can leave the clippers in 2 years.

I could also see him going back to the Raptors.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:00 pm    Post subject:

kwase wrote:

Depends on his health and if he's still dominating. Anyway, bigger fish in '21 is the Greek Freak.
Staccatos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:00 pm    Post subject:

The link is using Wind-(bleep)'s report as the basis. Wind-(bleep) who can't bear to write or say anything positive about Lebron or the Lakers now that Lebron is on the team. All he does is wants to stir up (bleep) and stir up more (bleep) because it's the only thing he has going for him.

Wind-(bleep) has nothing of value to say and doesn't know (bleep) about basketball. Why he has a voice at all is because ESPN likes to keep on-hand more people to dish (bleep) on the subjects that draw the most attention namely Lebron and the Lakers.
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:03 pm    Post subject:

Staccatos wrote:
The link is using Wind-(bleep)'s report as the basis. Wind-(bleep) who can't bear to write or say anything positive about Lebron or the Lakers now that Lebron is on the team. All he does is wants to stir up (bleep) and stir up more (bleep) because it's the only thing he has going for him.

Wind-(bleep) has nothing of value to say and doesn't know (bleep) about basketball. Why he has a voice at all is because ESPN likes to keep on-hand more people to dish (bleep) on the subjects that draw the most attention namely Lebron and the Lakers.

Diabeetus .

Last edited by JUST-MING on Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Lakers supposedly felt they got played by Kawhi Leonard

Nash Vegas wrote:
https://www.silverscreenandroll.com/2019/7/19/20700853/nba-free-agency-rumors-lakers-raptors-kawhi-leonard-clippers-lebron-james-rob-pelinka

Quote:
“I’ve heard complaints in the days after the signing. I heard complaints from the Lakers that they got played. Heard complaints from the Raptors, that Kawhi came in and asked for the sun, the moon, the stars, and then left them at the altar.”

Of course the Lakers got played, there is no doubt. Kawhi used the Lakers even
telling them they'd be out of the running if there was a leak when in fact he was
plotting all the while with the PG and the Clips. It was all a smoke screen to keep
the Lakers out of bidding on other players while he sorted his own situation.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:08 pm    Post subject:

Nash Vegas wrote:
Which is worst?

PG not giving the Lakers a meeting?

Kawhi giving Lakers a meeting but really just using the Lakers so he could meet with PG around the same area with no intention of signing with the Lakers anyway?

was that even debatable? of course KL was worse. at least PG didn't string lakers along for weeks, he made it real quick.
bandiger
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:17 pm    Post subject:

akk7 wrote:
Kawhi did nothing wrong. He played it masterfully for himself as a free agent. That's what he is supposed to do. Look out for himself. He owes nothing to these mutli-billion dollar organizations. The Lakers knew the risk and they went all in as they should.

Laker fans being salty is becoming a yearly thing. PG being a coward, now this. Ridiculous.

Thats the way I see it.
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:18 pm    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
Nash Vegas wrote:
Which is worst?

Kawhi giving Lakers a meeting but really just using the Lakers so he could meet with PG around the same area with no intention of signing with the Lakers anyway?

was that even debatable? of course KL was worse. at least PG didn't string lakers along for weeks, he made it real quick.

Correct. PG was direct with no run around even if you don't like the answer, we got
a serious direct response. KL's BS was the worst by far.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:19 pm    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
Nash Vegas wrote:
Which is worst?

Paul George to me is a true definition of a flip flopper, all year long we were lead to believe that he was coming then he goes back to OKC to be with his bbf Westbrook, that’s arguably more annoying then Kawhi waiting for days to make his decision.
anth2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:23 pm    Post subject:

Enjoy the Clippers, Kawhi. A franchise that may be on the rise and looking good now but historically haven't one a god darn thing. A franchise that has done nothing in all these years past the second round. Hey, if you win them a chip, good for you, my friend.

Kawhi is obviously listening to his Uncle Dennis for everything. I think they way they exited San Antonio was also very shady considering the Spurs have never had a bad reputation.

As with PG, good riddance to Kawhi and good luck with your new team.

By the way, have they even done a press conference yet with Kawhi and PG?
Kjj10697X
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:25 pm    Post subject:

The Lakers were leverage for Kawhi the whole way. His pitch to the Raptors and Clippers was trade what you need to get Paul George otherwise I am going to the Lakers.

Of course, Clippers and Raptors didn't want that as it will build a superteam. KL never wanted to go to the Lakers.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:29 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
The only thing that bothers me is the Lakers FO not being able to see it.

My source, who is a clippers hater, even said it’s looking like clippers. He was right again.

Otherwise, game on. Let’s make sure he doesn’t win a chip with the clippers.

I mean, what would have been the alternative?
There has to be some timeline as to when you thought they should have known. Jump ship mid way through free agency?
They were making contingency plans by overpaying some guys to hold out (i.e. kcp, green, etc.). Should they have gone after other max FAs?

What would be the timing?
Give up after the meeting?
Give up before the meeting?

Imagine if the Lakers didnt pursue him, and the Clippers got him w/o needing to trade away the players and picks for PG. Or worse, what if the clippers didnt have to trade as much for PG?

Side: I think when PG re-signed with OKC, they had an understanding that if he wanted to be traded at anytime during his contract, OKC would try to oblige.

I’m fine with how it turned out. I guess I’m just hoping they weren’t completely clueless and figured there was nothing to lose anyway. To their credit, guys like Green, Cook and Cousins seem to have waited it out...so credit to the Lakers FO there.
Beir32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:40 pm    Post subject:

The Lakers and the Raptors shoulda just asked the LG experts. Even though it's possible that Leonard told both orginazation he was coming, around here it was "obvious" that he wasn't.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:48 pm    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
. To their credit, guys like Green, Cook and Cousins seem to have waited it out...so credit to the Lakers FO there.

I doubt their waiting had anything to do with the Lakers FO. Green was waiting to see what Kawhi did before deciding if he would re-up with Toronto. Cousins was waiting for a big deal that never came. Quinn Cook became available when the Warriors rescinded his qualifying offer.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:50 pm    Post subject:

anth2000 wrote:
Enjoy the Clippers, Kawhi. A franchise that may be on the rise and looking good now but historically haven't one a god darn thing.

Why would Kawhi care about their history? He's a star with two rings and the only thing he cares about is what they might do right now.
Beir32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:54 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
. To their credit, guys like Green, Cook and Cousins seem to have waited it out...so credit to the Lakers FO there.

I doubt their waiting had anything to do with the Lakers FO. Green was waiting to see what Kawhi did before deciding if he would re-up with Toronto. Cousins was waiting for a big deal that never came. Quinn Cook became available when the Warriors rescinded his qualifying offer.

Both scenarios are possible, tbh. I read somewhere that's LA told Green that he would get 15 a year if Kawhi wasn't coming. Doubt he gets that anywhere else. That sounds like it's worth waiting for.

Some players may not have been specifically waiting on the Lakers but waiting for the dust to settle after the Kawhi signing was the plan for most of them. That's just smart business.

Last edited by Beir32 on Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
JZIANNE
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:56 pm    Post subject:

Japago wrote:

The detail of whether or not they had a shot at him makes a big difference for me. I can understand them taking a chance if they did have a chance, but I think a good front office should be able to recognize when they don't have a chance at someone.

As for how much they may have missed out, I wonder if they had a shot at Jimmy or Kemba?

I don't understand how the Lakers "should have seen this". How do you assume that should happen. Do you plan a spy? Do you bug his bedroom? Do you hire, like, a human lie detector from the CIA to be a part of the negotiations and have them jump up mid-meeting a yell LIAR?

The Lakers had to take him at face value and he was the only source of intention. Surely they grew skeptical as time wore on and Kawhi's team asked for more time, but from that point the truth came out rather quickly. Prior to that point they were led to believe they were in the running....
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:59 pm    Post subject:

Beir32 wrote:
activeverb wrote:
LakerSD wrote:

Both scenarios are possible, tbh. I read somewhere that's LA told Green that he would get 15 a year if Kawhi wasn't coming. Doubt he gets that anywhere else. That sounds like it's worth waiting for.

Some players may not have been specifically waiting on the Lakers but waiting for the dust to settle after the Kawhi signing was the plan for most of them. That's just smart business.

And to be fair, Dallas had a substantial offer for Green. Some credit does go to Lakers FO for telling him to wait and getting him to wait even if it was in his best interest (Get paid AND play on a title contender).
SocalDevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:04 pm    Post subject:

Kjj10697X wrote:
The Lakers were leverage for Kawhi the whole way. His pitch to the Raptors and Clippers was trade what you need to get Paul George otherwise I am going to the Lakers.

Of course, Clippers and Raptors didn't want that as it will build a superteam. KL never wanted to go to the Lakers.

SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:15 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:
Nash Vegas wrote:
Which is worst?

Paul George to me is a true definition of a flip flopper, all year long we were lead to believe that he was coming then he goes back to OKC to be with his bbf Westbrook, that’s arguably more annoying then Kawhi waiting for days to make his decision.

LOL really? you really believe KL spending all that time making up his mind? nope, he was USING THE LAKERS to buy time for the PG trade to the Clips.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:16 pm    Post subject:

Psssst... don't tell anyone, but I have inside information that Kawhi wants to sign with the Lakers in two years.
4stargeneralbulldog
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:17 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Obviously I wish we had better intel. That being said, we did the right thing at the time. You go after him to try to form an all time trio of LBJ/AD/KL. Very Dr. Buss to go that way.

Again, we had bad intel. And so did the Raps who won a ring with him and had the chance to court him for a year.

What are you talking about? We had the best intel right here! Ysong and RDAmbition! They told us it was a sure thing Kawhi was coming.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Page 2 of 24
Jump to: