Lakers felt they got played by Kawhi (Leonard responds: “Lakers didn’t have to wait for me” pg.17)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 22, 23, 24  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wvc0925
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:39 pm    Post subject:

The Lakers were very dumb for even thinking he would sign here after they didn’t get an answer on July 1st. Like Kobe said if you have to be convinced then they don’t want to be here.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:43 pm    Post subject:

AllorNothing wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
activeverb wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
activeverb wrote:
To me, it sounds like Leonard did a great job of negotiating.

He kept potential fallback deals in place while he worked for the deal he really wanted. That left his options open and made the Clippers work harder to give him what he wanted.

As long as he didn't lie to anyone, and there's no indication he did, I don't see anything wrong with what he did. It was just hardball, big league stuff.

He worked us all over. Ruthless in getting what he wanted. Went Black Mamba up on it. Unfortunately it was not our team he selected.

I wouldn't even call what he did ruthless.

He talked with several teams. When his preferred choice, the Clippers, pulled together the deal he wanted, he signed with them.

I wouldn't expect him to tell the suiters where they ranked in preference, or to tell them he was lobbying other players to join him. That isn't being ruthless; that's simply being logical. I've done similar things when I was negotiating job deals with several potential employers; I'd express enthusiasm for one even while hoping for the other. That's pretty common.

Well, it's ruthless in the sense that it actually impacted the Lakers ability to get an alternate max player. You may be affecting your industry, but the NBA is an even smaller and insular industry. He for sure hurt us in that respect.

The only max player we could gone for was probably jimmy butler. Otherwise I dont see us with any other max player. Irving looks like he was set with Brooklyn. Kemba stone wasn't a max player.

I could have seen us going for DLO.
ahaider
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:59 pm    Post subject:

Sour grapes by the Lakers is the normal emotional reaction to the news that Kawhii was going to the Clippers with PG13 that night.

That said, I think the pendulum has swung way too far to the Lakers only being used as leverage. No one except Kawhii knows what he would have done had the Clippers not swung a deal.

Maybe he still would have signed with the Clippers regardless a la Lebron. Maybe he goes to Toronto. Maybe he comes here.

To be fair, this is the type of bs sensational news I read from Windhorst, that pisses me off. Obviously they'd be pissed and obviously this is a no-news fluff to pump ratings on a Friday.

"The key to good decision making is not knowledge. It is understanding. We are swimming in the former. We are desperately lacking in the latter." - Malcom Gladwell
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:11 pm    Post subject:

Can't wait to see Paul George miss a game winner against us while Kawhi looks on from the bench with his injured quad. F' em.
drae
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:37 pm    Post subject:

kwase wrote:
He's still coming to the Lakers, after lebron goes away. He can leave the clippers in 2 years.

He and his suspect knees are no longer welcome in Lakernation, along with PG and Dwight. There's other free agents to go after in 2 years
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:01 pm    Post subject:

Wvc0925 wrote:
The Lakers were very dumb for even thinking he would sign here after they didn’t get an answer on July 1st. Like Kobe said if you have to be convinced then they don’t want to be here.

I don't know if Laker exceptionalism is the best card to play in the modern NBA.

If you give Kawhi a July 1 deadline and move on, the story becomes that Kawhi hadn't made a decision, and was considering the Lakers as much as anyone, but they choose not to wait. Then you have countless threads on LG about how our impatience lost us Kawhi.
dabask11
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:13 pm    Post subject:

drae wrote:
kwase wrote:
He's still coming to the Lakers, after lebron goes away. He can leave the clippers in 2 years.

He and his suspect knees are no longer welcome in Lakernation, along with PG and Dwight. There's other free agents to go after in 2 years

2021 is a significantly worse class than this year though, especially if you take out PG+KL.

Giannis is the only one worth it and he'll be harder to get than KL+not a great fit to AD.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:22 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Wvc0925 wrote:

I don't know if Laker exceptionalism is the best card to play in the modern NBA.

If you give Kawhi a July 1 deadline and move on, the story becomes that Kawhi hadn't made a decision, and was considering the Lakers as much as anyone, but they choose not to wait. Then you have countless threads on LG about how our impatience lost us Kawhi.

The fact he hadn't "decided" by July 1st was always a red flag to me. These guys always know wherw they want to go by then. And now it's clear he always wanted to go the Clippers--so badly that he was even willing to accept Durant, a guy who would miss all of next year and likely will never be 100% again as a running mate. I'd like to think this is last time that will happen, but that's twice in less than six months we've been led on by a party that actually had little interest in dealing with us.
chekmatex4
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:30 pm    Post subject:

So who did we lose out on by waiting for Kawhi? The contracts some of the guys Lakers were reportedly interested in weren't going to be matched by the Lakers. Seth Curry for 4 years, $32m? Terrence Ross for 4 years, $54m? Seems like Lakers were only offering 2 year deals for the chance of getting Giannis.
gooner
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:31 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Wvc0925 wrote:

Right. Either way there will be a group who reduces everything down to a Lakers-are-dumb and I-could-easily-have-done-better post.

I actually like how it all worked out. Now we have a team in our division we can hate almost as much as the Celtics. And we can exercise that at least four times a season.
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:43 pm    Post subject:

dabask11 wrote:
drae wrote:
kwase wrote:

2021 is a significantly worse class than this year though, especially if you take out PG+KL.

Giannis is the only one worth it and he'll be harder to get than KL+not a great fit to AD.

Beal will be available and I think he'd be a great fit with AD. He's the same age as AD too, so they'll both be 28 in 2 years. An AD/Beal/Kuz trio in their prime would be a championship core you can build around.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:51 pm    Post subject:

Ziggy wrote:
dabask11 wrote:
drae wrote:
kwase wrote:

Beal will be available and I think he'd be a great fit with AD. He's the same age as AD too, so they'll both be 28 in 2 years. An AD/Beal/Kuz trio in their prime would be a championship core you can build around.

Two years from now is an eternity in NBA time; impossible to predict what our cap situation will be like. Also, I don't know why people assume that Lebron is not going to exercise his $41 million option in 2021.
ReaListik
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:54 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
To me, it sounds like Leonard did a great job of negotiating.

He kept potential fallback deals in place while he worked for the deal he really wanted. That left his options open and made the Clippers work harder to give him what he wanted.

As long as he didn't lie to anyone, and there's no indication he did, I don't see anything wrong with what he did. It was just hardball, big league stuff.

He led at least two organizations on into believing they had a chance at him, one of which was the Lakers who felt so strongly they had him that pretty much every report was that they felt he was theirs to lose. An organization doesn’t say that unless a pretty compelling message has been given to them. We lost out on good players because he kept us hanging. He altered the location/time of a Lakers meeting in order to meet with Paul George, all the while giving the Lakers every indication he was coming here. All of this is going on while influencing Paul George to push his way to the Clippers behind the scenes. The report comes out that he asks Toronto for everything to an almost ridiculous degree, they accommodate, then he bails on them. There’s negotiation and there’s being a manipulative douche, he’s a manipulative douche.
dabask11
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:58 pm    Post subject:

Ziggy wrote:
dabask11 wrote:
drae wrote:
kwase wrote:

Beal at that time would be more akin to walker/dlo/butler/middleton right now aka guys who got overpaid. If he was that good then the wizards make the playoffs last year.

And that’s if he’s not snatched up while they make Giannis plan A
LAkers 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:11 pm    Post subject:

They should feel like they got played, because they did get played. The front office should not be resting on its laurels just because they were able to rebound from the kl disaster. They need to figure out how to get the franchise front office image back to where it used to be during Dr. Buss' leadership. They blew their first chance by not bringing back Jerry West or some other top veteran front office consultant/executive to help out Pelinka. They need to work to improve and not just feel comfortable in thinking the Laker brand will be enough.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:19 pm    Post subject:

ReaListik wrote:
The report comes out that he asks Toronto for everything to an almost ridiculous degree, they accommodate, then he bails on them. There’s negotiation and there’s being a manipulative douche, he’s a manipulative douche.

Are you talking about the TSN report that Kawhi made some "unreasonable requests" that the Raptors "wouldn't have been capable of fulfilling some of the reportedly unusual requests."

I have no idea what that means or what he asked for. I'm also not sure what you mean that the Raptors gave him everything he asked for, since reportedly one of the things he asked for was for them to trade for Paul George.
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:24 pm    Post subject:

dabask11 wrote:
Ziggy wrote:
dabask11 wrote:
drae wrote:
kwase wrote:

Beal at that time would be more akin to walker/dlo/butler/middleton right now aka guys who got overpaid. If he was that good then the wizards make the playoffs last year.

That roster is terrible. Replace Beal with any player in the league and they aren't making the playoffs. I don't even know who Beal's best teammate was. Dwight? Ariza? Otto Porter? At 25 he just put up 25.6ppg/5.5apg/5rpg. Played all 82 games last 2 seasons in a row. He's a legitimate all-star. I think we're just spoiled and used to having superstars
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:26 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
ReaListik wrote:
The report comes out that he asks Toronto for everything to an almost ridiculous degree, they accommodate, then he bails on them. There’s negotiation and there’s being a manipulative douche, he’s a manipulative douche.

Are you talking about the TSN report that Kawhi made some "unreasonable requests" that the Raptors "wouldn't have been capable of fulfilling some of the reportedly unusual requests."

I have no idea what that means or what he asked for. I'm also not sure what you mean that the Raptors gave him everything he asked for, since reportedly one of the things he asked for was for them to trade for Paul George.

Imagine winning a championship and then having the balls to ask your GM to trade away half your team
gooner
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:27 pm    Post subject:

LAkers 4 Life wrote:
They should feel like they got played, because they did get played. The front office should not be resting on its laurels just because they were able to rebound from the kl disaster. They need to figure out how to get the franchise front office image back to where it used to be during Dr. Buss' leadership. They blew their first chance by not bringing back Jerry West or some other top veteran front office consultant/executive to help out Pelinka. They need to work to improve and not just feel comfortable in thinking the Laker brand will be enough.

Sorry dude but I really don’t understand the negative attitude. Are you really a Laker fan? The Lakers didn’t rebound. They executed a very good contingency plan. WE HAVE LEBRON! WE HAVE AD! WE KEPT KUZMA! WE HAVE COUSINS! WE HAVE GREEN!

This coming season, we are a serous contender. Sheesh.
anth2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:36 pm    Post subject:

gooner wrote:
LAkers 4 Life wrote:

Sorry dude but I really don’t understand the negative attitude. Are you really a Laker fan? The Lakers didn’t rebound. They executed a very good contingency plan. WE HAVE LEBRON! WE HAVE AD! WE KEPT KUZMA! WE HAVE COUSINS! WE HAVE GREEN!

Exactly. The Lakers plan B may have been better than plan A. They are deep and talented with some really hungry players like Cousins and Bradley looking to crush it.
dabask11
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:42 pm    Post subject:

Ziggy wrote:
dabask11 wrote:
Ziggy wrote:
dabask11 wrote:
drae wrote:
kwase wrote:

That roster is terrible. Replace Beal with any player in the league and they aren't making the playoffs. I don't even know who Beal's best teammate was. Dwight? Ariza? Otto Porter? At 25 he just put up 25.6ppg/5.5apg/5rpg. Played all 82 games last 2 seasons in a row. He's a legitimate all-star. I think we're just spoiled and used to having superstars

He played in the east though. That excuse works in the west but not in the east. It shouldn’t be difficult to make the playoffs or be around .500 even with such talent if he were that good. There were teams last year 10 games under .500 able to crawl back and make the playoffs in the conference.
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:47 pm    Post subject:

dabask11 wrote:
Ziggy wrote:
dabask11 wrote:
Ziggy wrote:
dabask11 wrote:
drae wrote:
kwase wrote:

He played in the east though. That excuse works in the west but not in the east. It shouldn’t be difficult to make the playoffs or be around .500 even with such talent if he were that good. There were teams last year 10 games under .500 able to crawl back and make the playoffs in the conference.

Again, I don't think any player in the league would be able to drag a team to the playoffs with a broken Dwight Howard as their 2nd best player. Not Giannis. Not Kawhi. Not Harden. Not Lebron. Not Steph. No one. That's a garbage roster even in the east.
mookielala
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:49 pm    Post subject:

We got played, but I think KL would have come here if the PG trade didn't go through.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:52 pm    Post subject:

gooner wrote:

I agree gooner.

We went from being a lottery team 6 years in a row to a true contender overnight.

And people still don't rank the off season an "A" except for a few wise souls.

I wanted Kawhi also, but I get why he wants to be the Lead Dog for a franchise at this stage of his career, he has shown he can handle the load to date.
PayasoLoco
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:54 pm    Post subject:

We got played but dodged a bullet. Once that quad is done and he won’t be able to play in 3 years he’ll wish he signed a 4 yr max deal. And I’m rooting for Nike to keep that logo. Call me petty if you want
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Page 3 of 24
Jump to: