Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:56 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
Coke has clearly f'd up Dwight Gooden, and I don't mean in the sense that it severely altered what probably would have been a Hall Of Fame baseball career. Just look at the dude. He doesn't look well; he looks sickly. That's years and years of drug abuse. He's not likely to see his seventies, and maybe not his sixties. (He's 54 now.)

and I bet you there are dozens of people that have been a part of his life that would take issue with the statement that "he is not hurting anyone else."

Sub in a fat person and junk food. Same difference.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:29 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
Coke has clearly f'd up Dwight Gooden, and I don't mean in the sense that it severely altered what probably would have been a Hall Of Fame baseball career. Just look at the dude. He doesn't look well; he looks sickly. That's years and years of drug abuse. He's not likely to see his seventies, and maybe not his sixties. (He's 54 now.)

and I bet you there are dozens of people that have been a part of his life that would take issue with the statement that "he is not hurting anyone else."

Yeah collateral damage is a factor sometimes glossed over.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:52 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

Sure, and the same can be said for the countless alcoholics out there who have ruined their families and brought hardship on themselves and others with that legal substance.

I am acutely aware of the dangers of cocaine abuse because I have had the experience of disappearing down that deep, dark abyss myself in early adulthood. It cost me plenty in regards to opportunities and relationships. So, as has been said, no one is advocating cocaine use. No one is denying the dangers that come with abuse.

So let's get back to the actual discussion being had - that being the faux outrage towards someone using a drug for recreational use because "it's illegal!" As has also been said, our laws in regards to what is legal and illegal have been completely arbitrary and influenced by society. They have also been used to unfairly incarcerate people (well, more accurately certain people). There's a definite hypocrisy in saying that you care if someone is using something recreationally because it is illegal while not caring if someone engages in self-destructive behavior with something that is legal. Not to mention that everyone at some point has chosen to disregard a particular law because following it didn't suit them at the time.

The self-righteousness involved in condemning an inconsequential act because it is "illegal" is the same BS that leads "religious" people to condemn the rights of others because, "the bible says . . ."
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now

Last edited by DaMuleRules on Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:54 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:

I understand your position, I just don't agree with it.

LL you know I have respect for you and don't wish to engage in a debate. Equating civil right with drugs is a poor analogy.

Lets agree to disagree.

Absolutely jodeke, sorry if I came across too strong.

You are a classy poster and I am happy to agree to disagree on this random thread!
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:59 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
adkindo wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

Sure, and the same can be said for the countless alcoholics out there who have ruined their families and brought hardship on themselves and others with that legal substance.

I am acutely aware of the dangers of cocaine abuse because I have had the experience of disappearing down that deep, dark abyss myself in early adulthood. It cost me plenty in regards to opportunities and relationships. So, as has been said, no one is advocating cocaine use. No one is denying the dangers that come with abuse.

So let's get back to the actual discussion being had - that being the faux outrage towards someone using a drug for recreational use because "it's illegal!" As has also been said, our laws in regards to what is legal and illegal have been completely arbitrary and influenced by society. They have also been used to unfairly incarcerate people (well, more accurately certain people). There's a definite hypocrisy in saying that you care if someone is using something recreationally because it is illegal while not caring if someone engages in self-destructive behavior with something that is legal. Not to mention that everyone at some point has chosen to disregard a particular law because following it didn't suit them at the time.

The self-righteousness involved in condemning an inconsequential act because it is "illegal" is the same BS that leads "religious" people to condemn the rights of others because, "the bible says . . ."

Great post. Yeah, I'm not upset that Dwight Gooden did coke. I just think it sucks that he abused it and probably will go to an early grave because of it.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:16 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
adkindo wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

this is why I struggle to communicate with you....your arguments always have to rope in your fringe left mentality of attacking things and people you dislike that have zero to do with the conversation. Those "evil" religious people....that stuff just sounds ignorant....nobody is talking about the bible or anything related to the bible. Furthermore, I did not condemn Doc in a single post for getting caught with drugs....my initial post was I am done hoping he can get his life back together, because he has had more opportunities than most. As someone that sports fans my age idolized for a period, I always hated the destruction drugs had on his career and life.

Beyond that, if you are going to argue that laws that you do not agree with should not be followed....then that becomes an elementary debate with immature roots. A child wants what they want, and can always tell you why they should get it or why it is unfair, but that is not the way a nation of laws operates. There are many laws that you would take issue with if your neighbors decided to disregard. It is all subjective. That is not condemning Doc, only pointing out that he broke a law, got caught and will have to face the consequences.....as he should as long as that law is the law of the land.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:07 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:

Quote:
That is not condemning Doc, only pointing out that he broke a law, got caught and will have to face the consequences.....as he should as long as that law is the law of the land.

My argument precisely. Using cocaine is against the law. Texas side stepping attempts to change that narrative won't change the law.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:47 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
adkindo wrote:

Quote:
That is not condemning Doc, only pointing out that he broke a law, got caught and will have to face the consequences.....as he should as long as that law is the law of the land.

My argument precisely. Using cocaine is against the law. Texas side stepping attempts to change that narrative won't change the law.

No. Your argument was that you care what people do in their own personal life when it doesn't affect you or anyone else simply because "it is against the law."

That kind of self-righteousness is not admirable.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:14 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
adkindo wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

this is why I struggle to communicate with you....your arguments always have to rope in your fringe left mentality of attacking things and people you dislike that have zero to do with the conversation.

I'm hardly "fringe left". But I guess it is OK for you to use hyperbolic labels when accusing others of doing the same.

Quote:
Those "evil" religious people....that stuff just sounds ignorant....

Not ignorant at all, because that is not even remotely what I said. And this is why communicating with you is problematic. You consistently engage in that kind of intellectual dishonesty and disingenuousness.

I did't call all religious people "evil". I pointed out an analogy that is based on the idea of someone imposing their personal beliefs on others when it the differing beliefs have zero effect on the person doing the imposing. I pointed out a situation where people use their personal religious beliefs to weaponize them against others that differ from them.

Very, very different than claiming that "all religious people are evil" . . . you are more than intelligent enough to know that, yet you willfully misrepresented my point - that's the intellectual dishonesty I mentioned.

Quote:
nobody is talking about the bible or anything related to the bible. Furthermore, I did not condemn Doc in a single post for getting caught with drugs....my initial post was I am done hoping he can get his life back together, because he has had more opportunities than most. As someone that sports fans my age idolized for a period, I always hated the destruction drugs had on his career and life.

Not sure why you have personalized my comment. I wasn't addressing you, nor what you said. I was addressing the overall discussion being had in regards to whether someone should really care about what someone else does in the privacy of their own personal life when that activity has zero impact on those judging the activity.

Hence the comment where I said, "So let's get back to the actual discussion being had -"

Quote:
Beyond that, if you are going to argue that laws that you do not agree with should not be followed....then that becomes an elementary debate with immature roots.

Again, not what I said and I already addressed that false narrative as well, and probably twice at this point. . . so since you insist on attempting to argue with me based on misrepresentations and disingenuousness, I am going to move on rather than waste both of our time any further.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:30 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:
adkindo wrote:

Quote:

No. Your argument was that you care what people do in their own personal life when it doesn't affect you or anyone else simply because "it is against the law."

That kind of self-righteousness is not admirable.

YES

I wrote:
Quote:
Doc using isn't a surprise. He's been doing it for quite some time. It ruined a very promising career.
My astonishment is your saying you don't care if someone uses an illegal drug on their personal time. Also, when is breaking the law not a police matter?

Replying to LakerLanny;
Quote:
Personally I don't care if someone does cocaine in their personal time. I don't see it as a police issue unless you are selling it in large quantities.

Astonishment is my argument. You put care in the place of astonishment to fit your narrative. Also
You wrote:
Quote:
So again, if something isn't hurting any second party and it's taking place for personal use, why impose your personal objections on others just because the government has decided to criminalize it
That's your argument not mine. By your own admission it does hurt others.
You wrote:
Quote:

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:20 am    Post subject:

Doc's not looking well. If he doesn't kick the habit it will kick him, all the way to the other side. I guess a man of his means is using cocaine not crack. Bury pride, admit addiction, get into a rehab program. 🙏🏿
for you Doc.
Dwight Gooden spotted for first time since cocaine possession bust

LINK

Quote:
He’s not looking Amazin’.

A dazed, pot-bellied Dwight Gooden was spotted in New Jersey Tuesday morning — the first public sighting of the Mets icon since The Post broke news of his arrest for cocaine possession.

The troubled former pitcher, 54, sported a white T-shirt stretched across his considerable gut, cargo shorts and socks with sandals as he arrived at his home in Piscataway around noon, looking a little lost.

adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:28 pm    Post subject:

DWI charges for Gooden; 2nd arrest in 2 months

Quote:
Former major league pitcher Dwight Gooden was charged with driving while intoxicated in Newark, New Jersey, on Monday, his second arrest in the past two months.

Gooden, 54, was stopped after driving the wrong way on a one-way street, according to Newark Public Safety Director Anthony F. Ambrose. Gooden was taken to University Hospital for further evaluation.

LINK
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: