Those Who Honestly Arent Excited to Watch Lakers This Season
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stumpy25
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:01 am    Post subject:

I'm very excited about this coming season, however I'm cautiously optimistic. What's on paper doesn't always translate to success. I'm remembering thinking that team with Nash, Kobe, Pau and Howard was going to be incredible and they turned out to be a complete failure.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:02 am    Post subject:

Stumpy25 wrote:
I'm very excited about this coming season, however I'm cautiously optimistic. What's on paper doesn't always translate to success. I'm remembering thinking that team with Nash, Kobe, Pau and Howard was going to be incredible and they turned out to be a complete failure.

We were talking about Kobe-Lebron finals... dud
LVLAKERFAN
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: Those Who Honestly Arent Excited to Watch Lakers This Season

BlackStarMamba wrote:
...come here

last year i taped/watched/game thread almost every game

Name on the Jersey is the same, but everyone is uninteresting except Kuz, Caruso, Kostas

No "exciting" players to watch, except old Lebron
AD is boring to me, and apparently to a lot of people. He was not even top 15 in jersey sales last year (and don't say its because of NO, because Russ, Dame, PG, Giannis were all in top 15

not really interested watching Dudley, KCP, Rondo, Green, Avery Bradley, Cousins go to work

Caruso next year will be better than Lonzo was last year
AD is better than Ingram
Cousins is better than Zubac
Danny Green will be better than Air Guitar was last year
Avery Bradley will be better than Josh Hart was last year
Daniels is better than Bonga

Lebron and Rondo are much better looking players when they have shooters. Last year we were pretty (bleep) at shooting
Cousins is way
AD/MORRIS/DUDLEY
GASOL/HARRELL/TINKLE
Coachs:Vogel/Kidd
SPO200
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:38 am    Post subject:

We were a joke last year. I don't care about the reason, but we felt like a D-League when Lebron got injured in Christmas. We even lost against teams like the Cavs and the Knicks.
cyborgspider
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:41 pm    Post subject:

SPO200 wrote:
We even lost against teams like the Cavs and the Knicks.

THAT was the moment, RIGHT THERE, where I checked out on the season, and I realized, this "young core" is DONE. Overrated. Finished.

Yeah it may have been the FO, Magic, development programs, whatever, but it was NEVER going to happen in LA.

To lose, on consecutive Sundays, AT HOME, to two of the most blatantly tanking teams in the league. Luke couldn't motivate them, Brandon Ingram couldn't score inside against Enes Kanter, they couldn't stop Mudiay, and the Cavs were scoring at will. I was embarrassed to be a fan at that point more than the whole "Magic/Rambis fiasco" (old, rich, prideful people involved in office politics with reporters taking sides and providing weeks of content for debate shows versus actual play on the court. I tend to think the players/coaches/games matter more).

Maybe the "kids" will blow up in New Orleans and become all-stars in the future, and again, I'm not saying it's their fault they didn't develop enough here, but that was the nail in the coffin and if they were all shipped out for Davis, I would've been alright.
2022 - New Orleans
2023 - Own or New Orleans' Pick
2024 - Own (Likely)
2025 - New Orleans
CervantesRises
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:57 pm    Post subject:

cyborgspider wrote:
SPO200 wrote:

THAT was the moment, RIGHT THERE, where I checked out on the season, and I realized, this "young core" is DONE. Overrated. Finished.

Yeah it may have been the FO, Magic, development programs, whatever, but it was NEVER going to happen in LA.

To lose, on consecutive Sundays, AT HOME, to two of the most blatantly tanking teams in the league. Luke couldn't motivate them, Brandon Ingram couldn't score inside against Enes Kanter, they couldn't stop Mudiay, and the Cavs were scoring at will. I was embarrassed to be a fan at that point more than the whole "Magic/Rambis fiasco" (old, rich, prideful people involved in office politics with reporters taking sides and providing weeks of content for debate shows versus actual play on the court. I tend to think the players/coaches/games matter more).

Maybe the "kids" will blow up in New Orleans and become all-stars in the future, and again, I'm not saying it's their fault they didn't develop enough here, but that was the nail in the coffin and if they were all shipped out for Davis, I would've been alright.

+1

To go from the Christmas day game to those losses was demoralizing. I loved the potential of our core but at some point they had to start showing it on the court.

Magic was a mess.

Luke was clueless.

The staff was clearly underqualified.

And the players never took the reigns save for Kuz imo.

What was Zo most known for? His dad. BBB. The TV show. Playing solid D. Building brick houses. Being hurt and taking forever to heal.

What was JHart known for? Fortnight. Toughness. Being misplayed as a 6'4" PF as Luke wanted to end his career early...and not surprisingly he got hurt.

What was BI known for? Being skinny. Looking High AF. Not being able to hit back to back FTs. And finding the lowest percentage shot to take.

They certainly weren't developed right and Luke deserves so much blame for use and rotations...but the kids didnt cement themselves either and they had the chance to.

#BannersOverBillboards
Luminous8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:13 pm    Post subject:

I’m excited to see the team become a championship level teams,... but I’m honestly not that excited to watch them which is the first time in 20+ years. I just don’t truely enjoy watching lebron James play “bron Ball” with shooters. And it feels like that’s a strong part of the way the team was put together.
anth2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:21 pm    Post subject:

CervantesRises wrote:
cyborgspider wrote:
SPO200 wrote:

+1

To go from the Christmas day game to those losses was demoralizing. I loved the potential of our core but at some point they had to start showing it on the court.

Magic was a mess.

Luke was clueless.

The staff was clearly underqualified.

And the players never took the reigns save for Kuz imo.

What was Zo most known for? His dad. BBB. The TV show. Playing solid D. Building brick houses. Being hurt and taking forever to heal.

What was JHart known for? Fortnight. Toughness. Being misplayed as a 6'4" PF as Luke wanted to end his career early...and not surprisingly he got hurt.

What was BI known for? Being skinny. Looking High AF. Not being able to hit back to back FTs. And finding the lowest percentage shot to take.

They certainly weren't developed right and Luke deserves so much blame for use and rotations...but the kids didnt cement themselves either and they had the chance to.

Spot on. Great post.

I am excited for this season and I could care less about who is NOT a Laker at this point. Goodbye, so long to those that have come and gone. No love affair with any player, just the Laker brand. I am hoping this new team and coaching staff kills it this year and takes no prisoners.
PNWlakers
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:22 pm    Post subject:

this team has played a total of zero minutes and people are already saying they are bored with them? Get out of here, you should be stoked this team will actually be competitive
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:25 pm    Post subject:

PNWlakers wrote:
this team has played a total of zero minutes and people are already saying they are bored with them? Get out of here, you should be stoked this team will actually be competitive
cyborgspider
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:26 pm    Post subject:

Luminous8 wrote:
I just don’t truely enjoy watching lebron James play “bron Ball” with shooters. And it feels like that’s a strong part of the way the team was put together.

Sure, I wasn't a fan of that style with him in CLE either, but it's a necessary evil at this point. Make the playoffs again, go deep into May/June, do whatever it takes to restore the luster. I figure he'll be here two more seasons then bounce to play with his son or do a Farewell Tour in CLE, but he'd had "gifted" us Anthony Davis to build around.

I guess we could reach for that "rebound chick/dude" metaphor where you just do it to get it out the system, learn some lessons along the way, and embrace Anthony Davis at the "true next" Laker great (but again, Lebron, seriously, thanks for saving us). I'll never be your stan or call you King, but WINNING is entertaining enough for me.
2022 - New Orleans
2023 - Own or New Orleans' Pick
2024 - Own (Likely)
2025 - New Orleans
vman
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Those Who Honestly Arent Excited to Watch Lakers This Season

LVLAKERFAN wrote:
BlackStarMamba wrote:
...come here

Name on the Jersey is the same, but everyone is uninteresting except Kuz, Caruso, Kostas

AD is boring to me, and apparently to a lot of people. He was not even top 15 in jersey sales last year (and don't say its because of NO, because Russ, Dame, PG, Giannis were all in top 15

not really interested watching Dudley, KCP, Rondo, Green, Avery Bradley, Cousins go to work

AD is better than Ingram

Lebron and Rondo are much better looking players when they have shooters. Last year we were pretty (bleep) at shooting
Cousins is way

Don't forget the another big part:

Vogel and current coaching staff is better than Luke and his buddies

The offense was so stagnant last year..I hated the sets they ran and it only felt exciting early season when in transition or pushing the ball
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:03 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
Beir32 wrote:
Pumped for next season. Wish it started tomorrow.
Luminous8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:44 pm    Post subject:

cyborgspider wrote:
Luminous8 wrote:
I just don’t truely enjoy watching lebron James play “bron Ball” with shooters. And it feels like that’s a strong part of the way the team was put together.

Sure, I wasn't a fan of that style with him in CLE either, but it's a necessary evil at this point. Make the playoffs again, go deep into May/June, do whatever it takes to restore the luster. I figure he'll be here two more seasons then bounce to play with his son or do a Farewell Tour in CLE, but he'd had "gifted" us Anthony Davis to build around.

I guess we could reach for that "rebound chick/dude" metaphor where you just do it to get it out the system, learn some lessons along the way, and embrace Anthony Davis at the "true next" Laker great (but again, Lebron, seriously, thanks for saving us). I'll never be your stan or call you King, but WINNING is entertaining enough for me.

I don’t disagree. But I don’t have to be excited to watch the necessary evil or go out of my way to stay up until 1am to watch them anymore. I’ll watch,.. but I’m just not going to be sucked into it like I have been in years past. It just doesn’t feel like “fun” team to watch.
DLaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:35 pm    Post subject:

Funny why the Lakers r not getting any love, but giving the Clippers so much credit. They loss 4-2 to the Warriors and the game they won is close while the game loss is a blow out. They giving there def so much credit.

Lakers on the other hand was an injured wreck last year and have to play 167 games using 1st year or NBDL players like Jones, Caruso, Williams, Svi, Wagner, Bonga, Mechado and Ingram. But now we have a team of 2 Top 5 players, Season Proven Vets and Young Vet. Blows my mind, specially knowing how well we did before the injury bug hits last year. LBJ is not getting praise on his track record, specially now that the team is build the way it should have been last year.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:58 pm    Post subject:

DLaker wrote:
Funny why the Lakers r not getting any love, but giving the Clippers so much credit. They loss 4-2 to the Warriors and the game they won is close while the game loss is a blow out. They giving there def so much credit.

Lakers on the other hand was an injured wreck last year and have to play 167 games using 1st year or NBDL players like Jones, Caruso, Williams, Svi, Wagner, Bonga, Mechado and Ingram. But now we have a team of 2 Top 5 players, Season Proven Vets and Young Vet. Blows my mind, specially knowing how well we did before the injury bug hits last year. LBJ is not getting praise on his track record, specially now that the team is build the way it should have been last year.

I think you answered your own question
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:38 pm    Post subject:

I get pretty bored with summer, particularly when missing out on Kahwi is far bigger news for LG to ruminate on than landing AD in his prime.

It's an interesting and novel take to describe this Laker roster as 'boring.' Interesting word to use.

I do not think it means what you think it means...
BlackStarMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: Those Who Honestly Arent Excited to Watch Lakers This Season

vman wrote:
LVLAKERFAN wrote:
BlackStarMamba wrote:
...come here

AD is better than Ingram

Cousins is way

Don't forget the another big part:

Vogel and current coaching staff is better than Luke and his buddies

The offense was so stagnant last year..I hated the sets they ran and it only felt exciting early season when in transition or pushing the ball

Not sure we are going to get un-stagnated offense with Kidd, Hollins, Vogel <--none of them are known to embrace the 3 point shot. Kidd with Milwaukee was bottom third in pace for years, vogel with pacers. Hollins grit and grind style is similar as well

Last year we were 4th in pace and Bron got hurt. I bet hes going for the more slow, style of play this year with all these slower-paced style coaches.
BlackStarMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:21 am    Post subject:

team is built for playoffs, we aint running, we aint gunning, we are trying to avoid injuries. That will affect style/pace of play. It wont look pretty
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:33 am    Post subject:

This is going to be a special season.

I kind of miss having a dominant big man, even if it's not so called "modern" NBA ball.
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:37 am    Post subject:

BlackStarMamba wrote:
team is built for playoffs, we aint running, we aint gunning, we are trying to avoid injuries. That will affect style/pace of play. It wont look pretty

They may not play at a breakneck pace, especially without Lonzo (sigh), but this team is definitely going to run. That's just common sense given that walking the ball up is a recipe for failure in today's league. But Vogel also confirmed that recently:

"The style of play is an important piece of this,” Vogel said. “I actually did not disagree with a lot of the things that Luke Walton did stylistically in terms of playing with pace, really attacking the basket and being the one of the leading free throws shooting teams. And they worked hard on the defensive end. But to me it was about putting LeBron James in positions to try to play with space the way Giannis Antetokounmpo did with Brook Lopez being added as a three-point shooter, with what Kawhi Leonard was able to have in Toronto with Marc Gasol and Serge Ibaka at the center position.”

https://www.si.com/nba/2019/07/24/lakers-frank-vogel-lebron-james-magic-johnson-clippers-warriors
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:52 am    Post subject:

Luminous8 wrote:
I’m excited to see the team become a championship level teams,... but I’m honestly not that excited to watch them which is the first time in 20+ years. I just don’t truely enjoy watching lebron James play “bron Ball” with shooters. And it feels like that’s a strong part of the way the team was put together.

Winning cures all, mang. Lotta fans didn't like the Shaq-dominant years, stylistically. Yes, there was Kobe, but I mean the years where Shaq especially lorded over the offense. The 3Peat teams weren't what I'd call Showtime, but if the 2020 team is more exciting than the Spurs w/ catatonic Timmy while winning at the same time, I'll take that in a heartbeat.

And I gotta differ with you on Bron n shooters. We were pathetic from all points on the floor. This Could be the first year they give him something worthy of being called shooting. I said could instead of would because seems like shooters tank soon as they sign the contract, but I'm optimistic for once. With cats like Nance and Lonzo, I wasn't. They were fundamentally broken.
70sdude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:22 pm    Post subject:

I'm curious about this team, excited isn't close.

Never been a fan of the younger LeBron but I respected his game and accomplishments. Now that he's 900 basketball years old, it'd be a miracle for him to lead a team now into real playoff noise. He's #2 in minutes played among active players today, and that's not an exciting stat to ponder when thinking about the future of a guy who makes his living with his feet.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:55 pm    Post subject:

70sdude wrote:
He's #2 in minutes played among active players today, and that's not an exciting stat to ponder when thinking about the future of a guy who makes his living with his feet.

I'm not worry about that. If you compare him to other NBA players based on minutes, he should have been retired a couple of years ago -- instead he was coming in #2 in MVP voting. My guess is his career will play out more like Karl Malone, and he still has some all-NBA seasons in him.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:56 pm    Post subject:

70sdude wrote:
He's #2 in minutes played among active players today, and that's not an exciting stat to ponder when thinking about the future of a guy who makes his living with his feet.

I'm not worry about that. If you compare him to other NBA players based on minutes, he should have been retired a couple of years ago -- instead he was coming in #2 in MVP voting. My guess is his career will play out more like Karl Malone, and he still has some all-NBA seasons in him.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6
Jump to: