Lakers felt they got played by Kawhi (Leonard responds: “Lakers didn’t have to wait for me” pg.17)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23, 24  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dabask11
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:00 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
panamaniac wrote:
activeverb wrote:
kwase wrote:
Bruh, Dr. Buss traded Shaq when he felt he was aging.

That's not what happened.

Shaq was only 31 at the time of the trade. He wasn't "aging."

The Shaq-Kobe feud was going full steam. Shaq demanded a trade after he learned Phil Jackson was leaving. Kobe was becoming a free agent and looking like he was about to leave. It was a messy situation, and the Lakers traded Shaq rather than lose Kobe.

He was aging, and aging fast. Due to his lack of work ethic and conditioning. Three years removed from the trade he was already a sub-20ppg player. Dr. Buss made 10000% the correct call.

Why couldn't we get more than Caron, Odom, and a late first rounder?

IIRC time constraints

If the lakers waited for a better deal, then they likely lose kobe to the clippers.
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:11 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:

They were up against the clock to make a deal and convince Kobe to stay.
PayasoLoco
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:35 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
panamaniac wrote:
activeverb wrote:
kwase wrote:

The Shaq-Kobe feud was going full steam. Shaq demanded a trade after he learned Phil Jackson was leaving. Kobe was becoming a free agent and looking like he was about to leave. It was a messy situation, and the Lakers traded Shaq rather than lose Kobe.

He was aging, and aging fast. Due to his lack of work ethic and conditioning. Three years removed from the trade he was already a sub-20ppg player. Dr. Buss made 10000% the correct call.

Because kupchak was a horrible GM
K2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:52 am    Post subject:

^IIRC, Pat Riley once said that he almost gave up Dwayne Wade in that deal had Kupchak insisted. Fortunately for Riley, Kupchak relented.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:13 am    Post subject:

What do Wade and Kobe have in common? They both pushed aside Eddie Jones. 😝
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:26 am    Post subject:

Kawhi Leonard says Magic Johnson leaking details of free agency meeting didn’t stop him from signing with Lakers

https://www.silverscreenandroll.com/2019/7/24/20727087/kawhi-leonard-says-magic-johnson-leaking-details-free-agency-meeting-didnt-stop-signing-with-lakers
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:03 am    Post subject:

panamaniac wrote:
activeverb wrote:
kwase wrote:

Actually Shaq made the call, Dr. Buss offered him the largest extension ever at the time. His wish was going forward with Kobe and Shaq.
LAkers 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:01 am    Post subject:

Yes, the Lakers got played by kl. That's a possibility when you have a neophyte as a GM compared to seasoned vets. Ujiri sensed that something was up when George was suddenly brought up in discussions. It's a hard lesson for Pelinka and the rest of the front office to learn, but on the bright side they should be better prepared for it in the future. Thankfully Pelinka had back-up options at the ready if/when the decision was made and he's done a pretty good job of building up the rest of the roster on short-term contracts of guys that seem to fit the make-up of the team better than last season. The front office still has a lot of work ahead of them to rehab their image though.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:12 am    Post subject:

Imagine the uproar from Lakers fans if the Lakers pulled out of the Kawhi sweepstakes too early.

Rob was in a damned if you do, damned if you don't position.

I will give him credit for quickly and swiftly getting Green/Boogie, etc. on limited deals (2 years or less). The Plan B after Kawhi was run pretty well.
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:09 am    Post subject:

Jesusdelonla wrote:
PRLakeShow wrote:
Wvc0925 wrote:
Jesusdelonla wrote:
Wvc0925 wrote:
Jesusdelonla wrote:
Dreamshake wrote:
Tick wrote:
KL is a little over-hyped and bordering on being just slightly overrated.

Nahhhhhh. Quite rare for a guy to have his two way impact and actually show it when it matters. Series changed when they stuck him on dudes. He hit game/series winners. Etc.

And everyone knows he will he load managed and the injury risk. I’d say he’s properly rated.

yupe. the only over-hyped and overrated guy in the nba is James Harden

Lebron

Not even close

Best player in the league

Ridiculous statements left and right.

Reminds me when ESPN ranked Kobe outside the top 5, 10, 20, whatever it was when he was almost done as a player and people went nuts. Yet the season came on and oh yeah Kobe was not very good...

Ridiculous negative posts get bashed endlessly yet you see ridiculous delusional posts like some in here and no one bats an eye. I sort of get where VLF is coming from with some of his posts now.

U combat troll with troll.

Life is pretty miserable when you have to agree with vlf

agreed but this mentality is what got us Clinton vs Trump!!

Bottom line is, it ain't really a good way to relate.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:11 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Imagine the uproar from Lakers fans if the Lakers pulled out of the Kawhi sweepstakes too early.

I will give him credit for quickly and swiftly getting Green/Boogie, etc. on limited deals (2 years or less). The Plan B after Kawhi was run pretty well.

I thought Pelinka did well too. Sometimes we complain, but fact of the matter is most of the league looks at us and says really? You are complaining about landing Anthony (bleep) Davis and Lebron in 2 consecutive summers?

I don’t think anyone outside of DLO, Morris and Curry was really worth it. Maybe Bogdanovich but still the $$.

Just hoping Jeanie beefs up basketball operations, that’s critical to the long-term success...not relying on Klutch.

The reason the Clippers are up and coming is Ballmer is loaded and spending. So Jeanie needs to find a way to keep up with not only Ballmer but rest of the league.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:17 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

I thought Pelinka did well too. Sometimes we complain, but fact of the matter is most of the league looks at us and says really? You are complaining about landing Anthony (bleep) Davis and Lebron in 2 consecutive summers?

I don’t think anyone outside of DLO, Morris and Curry was really worth it. Maybe Bogdanovich but still the $$.

Just hoping Jeanie beefs up basketball operations, that’s critical to the long-term success...not relying on Klutch.

The reason the Clippers are up and coming is Ballmer is loaded and spending. So Jeanie needs to find a way to keep up with not only Ballmer but rest of the league.

Sure, the $ is important.

But he's not hiring his friends, confidantes, former Clipper "greats who last played in the 1980s," etc. He's hiring the best minds out there.

Jeanie paid Magic $10m/year to basically no show. It's not 100% about the money. It's who they decide to spend it on.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:21 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

But he's not hiring his friends, confidantes, former Clipper "greats who last played in the 1980s," etc. He's hiring the best minds out there.

Jeanie paid Magic $10m/year to basically no show. It's not 100% about the money. It's who they decide to spend it on.

Agree. She has the resources to keep up, it’s a matter of hiring with merit. Need to get away from unqualified friend hires.
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:31 am    Post subject:

Shaq got himself traded. Lets not forget his famous words; "I got hurt on company time, so I'll rehab on company time".
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:59 am    Post subject:

RI Laker wrote:
Shaq got himself traded. Lets not forget his famous words; "I got hurt on company time, so I'll rehab on company time".

Not to mention him cursing out Dr. Buss in public. Sort of sealed his fate.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:10 pm    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Agree. She has the resources to keep up, it’s a matter of hiring with merit. Need to get away from unqualified friend hires.

We paid Magic $10m/year.

I would think we would consider having a proven exec like Griffin or Ujiri with that compensation. But not sure they would cede that kind of organizational control though. That's probably the issue.
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:17 pm    Post subject:

troy wrote:
Kawhi is right. Lakers didn't have to wait for him. Fans didn't have to buy into the media hype, rumor, and innuedo. But that happened, and now people have hurt feelings because they walked into it.

Kawhi is not a Lakers fan, and never will be. He doesn't like the Lakers, so there's no reason to consider him a loss to signing here, as that was never going to happen. I consider him a flaky person. Lakers aren't the ones that need to be mad, Spurs (hurt his feelings and so he abadoned them) and Raps (won a finals for them and then leaves them high and dry) have more of a case to be angry. Greedy, entitled Laker fans crying over something they never had. Forget Kawhi.

Said it before, when it was known that the likes of the Clippers, a franchise that has had a horrid past, and has never reached the NBA Finals, was a viable option along with the Lakers, that's all I needed to know. I was done with Kawhi after that. If your heart isn't clear cut to be a Laker, and you actually think the Clippers is a better option, than you have no business ever donning the purple and gold.

I'm not mad about Kawhi cuz I dismissed that guy along time ago, and I never looked back. Be it in business, sports, dating, or any facet of life, you only get played if you're weak enough to allow it.

You make a good argument, I would agree. We should have bailed on him earlier.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:26 pm    Post subject:

Honestly, Kawhi signing with the Clips wasn't the shocker.

It was the announcement that PG13 went there that shocked me the most.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:24 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

We paid Magic $10m/year.

I would think we would consider having a proven exec like Griffin or Ujiri with that compensation. But not sure they would cede that kind of organizational control though. That's probably the issue.

More than enough, especially when the national media folks say this is such a highly coveted job among the league execs.

I think you are right that it seems to be a control and trust issue.
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:25 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

its ok, we are trying these 2 to treat as the prime Shaq/Kobe. they are not
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:26 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

I didn’t think it would be PG13, but I had a feeling Kawhi was stalling for the Clippers to get someone.

I was thinking someone like Beal.
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:32 pm    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

I didn’t think it would be PG13, but I had a feeling Kawhi was stalling for the Clippers to get someone.

I was thinking someone like Beal.

yupe. he didnt had enough balls to come and say no thanks. so we could move on
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:30 pm    Post subject:

troy wrote:
Kawhi is not a Lakers fan, and never will be.

NBA players don't go to a team because they are fans of a team or rooted for a team as a kid. They go to situations that are good for them.

Nowadays, the best players sign shorter-term contracts and hop around a lot when the situation changes.

I am not sure that's really different than in the past. What's different is: (1) Players feel less pretense to pretend they are particularly attached to the team they play for at the moment; (2) The ability of players to move around has increased.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:31 pm    Post subject:

troy wrote:
Kawhi is not a Lakers fan, and never will be.

NBA players don't go to a team because they are fans of a team or rooted for a team as a kid. They go to situations that are good for them.

Nowadays, the best players sign shorter-term contracts and hop around a lot when the situation changes.

I am not sure that's really different than in the past. What's different is: (1) Players feel less pretense to pretend they are particularly attached to the team they play for at the moment; (2) The ability of players to move around has increased.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:07 pm    Post subject:

panamaniac wrote:
RI Laker wrote:

Not to mention him cursing out Dr. Buss in public. Sort of sealed his fate.

Yet Dr. Buss still offered him a 2-year, $45 mil extension
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23, 24  Next
Page 22 of 24
Jump to: