How far will we go 19-20 season?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

How far will we go 19-20 season?
NBA Champion
65%
 65%  [ 71 ]
NBA Finals
2%
 2%  [ 3 ]
Western Conference Finals
15%
 15%  [ 17 ]
Western Conference Semi
10%
 10%  [ 11 ]
1st Round Playoff
3%
 3%  [ 4 ]
Out of Playoff - Disaster Season (Lottery)
1%
 1%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 108

DLaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:44 am    Post subject: How far will we go 19-20 season?

Perfect time to post since it will be a while until we get a gauge of this team. Like to poll the confidence level in LG this upcoming season. I am pumped up this coming season and can't wait for it to get started. Baring any major injuries, I see us winning it all. So many negative reason why we wont go far, but let me just point a few +.

- 2018 half of the Cavs roster got traded and team jelled to reach the Final lead by LBJ and we have a full year to do.

- This squad is one of or if not the best roster LBJ ever had. Well balance and can sustain injuries if needed.

- LBJ, AD, DC, Green, Bradley is a nightmare matchup for any team, two bigs garnering attention playing along the best player of his generation LBJ with tough defenders and shooter to compliment, being anchored by one of the best eraser of the game in AD.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:22 pm    Post subject:

If we had Ingram and either DLO or Ball I’d say NBA Champs. We can still go all the way, but I think we are looking at a WCF at best.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:32 pm    Post subject:

we have a top 5 player just over his prime and year removed from being leagues best.

A unicorn just entering his prime.

imO the best role players in league.

A more than competent coaching staff. By far best staff in los angeles

we will win ring this year
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:32 pm    Post subject:

we have a top 5 player just over his prime and year removed from being leagues best.

A unicorn just entering his prime.

imO the best role players in league.

A more than competent coaching staff. By far best staff in los angeles

we will win ring this year
DLaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:35 pm    Post subject:

Posted this before for those who is superstitious and this season being the start of the decade.

Just placing the history of the LA Lakers at the start of every decade

1970 Finals lost to Knicks
1980 Champion
1990 Division Champ Best record
2000 Champion
2010 Champion
2020 - Going to be a very good year just have a feeling

Last edited by DLaker on Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:37 pm    Post subject:

I think the west will be a slug fest and a lot of teams will be in contention. It wouldn't shock me if we win a ring or get knocked out in the second round. There is going to be a lot of X factors -- health, of course, but also how players mesh together and what moves teams make.

This is the most wide-open year I can remember in a long time because of all the player movement. First time when the two teams in the finals each lost a superstar through free agency.
magicdays
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:41 pm    Post subject:

I think we will either win it all or get close (if we have injury problems). Either way, it will a great year!

Good to see the optimism and excitement in this thread to offset the bashing and naysayers who still plague this site
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:40 pm    Post subject:

Voted semis but potentially WC finals if a lot of dominoes fall into place.

All will depend on health, matchups and seeding in the playoffs. Can easily imagine the highly competitive Conference being lumped together within 10 games when the dust settles. At least a couple seeding places decided by only a game or two. Or even tiebreakers.

Lakers may not have the luxury of load management as many think. How quickly can they mesh together and establish defensive intensity and chemistry? Can they absorb the season long body shots of every night taking the rest of the leagues best shot. Every night from opening night!

In the end, they slip up due to the chemistry issue. IMO it just takes time to find all the right pieces and have them all fall into place in year one. Time the Lakers do not have.
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:20 pm    Post subject:

Normally I would agree that it takes time for chemistry and all that but a bunch of these guys have played with each other previously and much of the roster are vets that have been to a big stage and know what it takes.. It will still obviously take time but this isn't your average new roster.

Anything other then a Championship is a complete failure imo.. I'm sure nearly every player would say the same thing as well.. Injuries could cost them like any other contender but it would still be a failure.

It's a good thing though, we finally have a legit roster again that have a very good chance of winning it all.. Regardless, it's going to be a fun season to watch!
lar9149
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:39 pm    Post subject:

I see a ring for 2020.

Even though this is the first year some of these players will be together I see chemistry that will develop fast because these players are complementary.

Lebron will distribute the ball to Davis based on how the defense plays him. If they crowd the paint, he will pass to open shooters. If the other team has a weaker center they can go low to cousins. And all the 3 point shooters will allow plenty of room inside for drives to the basket.

A example of instant chemistry was Kevin Durant with the warriors. Because the floor was so spread by Thomson and curry it left plenty of room to operate. Cousins however may have had a more difficult time because they rely more on a fast pace game.

An example of teams that had hard time with chemistry were wade and legion their first year because this was a case of how often do I get the ball and how often does the other superstar. This is actually a issue I think Paul George and Kawhi could have. Chemistry can be issue when players don’t have complementary styles.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:58 pm    Post subject:

Tough to vote for any option. Feel like we'll make a mid season trade. Without knowing what it is. Don't feel confident voting.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:18 pm    Post subject:

Voted for WC semis.
The Lebrons
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:14 pm    Post subject:

Our 4 best players are coming off down years

Lebron w/ injury and age
AD w/ trade request
Cousins w/ injury
Kuzma not making 3s

It's reasonable to expect Lebron and AD to be elite.

I think our season comes down to Cousins and Kuzma. I don't feel great about that.
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:49 pm    Post subject:

If we stay relatively healthy I think we at least reach the WCF. We've addressed just about all of our roster weaknesses, and have a well-balanced and deep squad.

We can win either a 135-129 shootout or a 104-101 grindfest, which is one of the marks of a championship-caliber team. But I think we'll be closer to the former than the latter because of the footspeed and open court play of Lebron, AD, Kuz, McGee and Bradley.
Hammett
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:43 pm    Post subject:

If we finish above .500, I'll be thrilled.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:18 am    Post subject:

AD's 1st
Rondo, Cook and McGee's 2nd
Green's 3rd
LeBron's 4th
moonriver24
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:38 am    Post subject:

Anything less than a champ is a total fail
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:47 am    Post subject:

With the exception of the KG Celtics teams where stars have joined forces haven’t won titles their first season. I don’t expect the Lakers or Clippers to win the title next season.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:55 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
With the exception of the KG Celtics teams where stars have joined forces haven’t won titles their first season. I don’t expect the Lakers or Clippers to win the title next season.

You're right of course, especially when the Lakers have not been in the playoffs for 6 years - to win the championship? really?

But alas, its the off season, when fans get to dream and every team is in first place...!
DLaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:12 am    Post subject:

50 votes in, looks like we have a positive outlook for the upcoming season. 90% of LG believe we are on the top 4 team in the league with 10% believing we are in the top 8. This qualifies to me as a successful season, don’t get why it seems like LG still have negative vibes. (We gave too much for AD, Pelinka sucks and incompetent, Vogel is not that good ... ) When LG should be pump with this season’s roster. Let’s get some games in before we start the neg comments if they deserve it, we should have positive vibes with what we have atm.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:34 am    Post subject:

DLaker wrote:
50 votes in, looks like we have a positive outlook for the upcoming season. 90% of LG believe we are on the top 4 team in the league with 10% believing we are in the top 8. This qualifies to me as a successful season, don’t get why it seems like LG still have negative vibes. (We gave too much for AD, Pelinka sucks and incompetent, Vogel is not that good ... ) When LG should be pump with this season’s roster. Let’s get some games in before we start the neg comments if they deserve it, we should have positive vibes with what we have atm.

It's not really about the Lakers. Complainers gonna complain.
anth2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:36 am    Post subject:

AFireInside619 wrote:
If we had Ingram and either DLO or Ball I’d say NBA Champs. We can still go all the way, but I think we are looking at a WCF at best.

Ingram, Ball and DLO are not better than the team we have now. Let's see, Ingram will be hurt, play outside the system ISO ball. Lonzo will shoot a whopping 40% free throws and be hurt for 30+ games and DLO, well, he's gone too and getting paid $27 mill which is a way overspend.

Bottom line, Davis trumps Ingram and Ball combined. Bradley, Cousins, Green far exceed those three guys combined as well.

As much as some laker fans really loved those guys, they are not better in any way compared to the team we have now.
MIMLaker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:41 am    Post subject:

hype wrote:
Normally I would agree that it takes time for chemistry and all that but a bunch of these guys have played with each other previously and much of the roster are vets that have been to a big stage and know what it takes.. It will still obviously take time but this isn't your average new roster.

Anything other then a Championship is a complete failure imo.. I'm sure nearly every player would say the same thing as well.. Injuries could cost them like any other contender but it would still be a failure.

It's a good thing though, we finally have a legit roster again that have a very good chance of winning it all.. Regardless, it's going to be a fun season to watch!

In years past I'd be more worried about a whole bunch of guys coming together under a new coach and trying to win without the benefit of longstanding chemistry. However, we've already seen the 2000 team come together (albeit under one of the 2 or 3 greatest basketball coaches of all time), and 2 of our newest players (AD and DMC) found success with the leading proponent of the 1-and-done system in college hoops.

Plus, with the team already returning a 6-man carryover unit of LBJ, Kuz, McGee, KCP, Rondo, and Caruso, we just might be able to pull this off.
Laker_Jocker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:04 am    Post subject:

Moana sez:

"They've been staring at the edge of the playoffs...
'Long as I can remember, never really having a shot
I wish, I could see some playoffs,
But they go back to the lottery, no matter how hard they try...

Every shot they brick, every washed vet they sign
Every coach they flip, every seasons' resigned
To the place I know, where they always go, where they should not be...

See the dude who is tall and wears 3? It's A.D.
And no one knows, how far he'll go....
If the wind in their sail stays behind them,
One day You'll know, if they go there's just no telling how far they'll go..."
lar9149
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:45 pm    Post subject:

Guys I really believe the Lakers will win a ring.

And this isn't based completely on belief, it is quite realistic. Everyone thinks the Clippers are dangerous, but you have to understand..

Paul George isn't likely going to be as good as people expect

Paul George had shoulder surgery last season and if there is plenty of evidence, he didn't shot as well afterwards (I believe its something like 46% from 3 prior to surgery, 40% afterwards..but don't quote me on that). Definite evidence his performance dropped. And he has a history of serious injuries (A Davis and Lebron has had injuries but for the most part nothing serious). He just had surgery recently on his left shoulder and his return date is unknown. And personally I think that is why Leonard asked Durant and I believe Beal and maybe 1 other person to join him prior to George. I think Paul George was a high risk and they know this. But The Clippers didn't want the Lakers to get Leonard so they had no choice.

That means the Lakers main competition in the West isn't likely going to be the Clippers, its likely the Rockers or Denver and I think we stand a damn good chance against them.

Our biggest competitor will be in the East and I am not sure which team. But that is why I think it is very realistic that the Lakers reach the finals at least.

You can see why teams like Lebron and Wade and perhaps Paul George and Kawhi will have issues their first year. Wade can't spread the floor and needs the ball to score. PG and Kawhi essentially play the same position and neither can distribute the ball as good as Lebron. These are conflicting styles and aren't complementary right away till they learn how after 1 year or 2.

Last edited by lar9149 on Sun Jul 28, 2019 7:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: