Ryan West leaving the Lakers Organization
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 4:55 pm    Post subject:

this has been in the cards for a while. Pelinka prefers Nick Mazella as do others.
Luminous8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 4:56 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
Not great ... but nowhere near the big deal people will make of this.

How do you figure? I thought he was really being groomed. I don’t know much about the front office personnel and how important they are.
BennyLava
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 5:02 pm    Post subject:

There is definitely a media narrative here. Why is this newsworthy? Because it’s Lakers and West last name? What’s next?

Lakers long time janitor leaves the Lakers to join clippers? Widely regarded as the person who kept Lakers facilities tidy.

- WOJ

Sky is falling in Lakers because Kawhi chose clippers.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 5:10 pm    Post subject:

Wish him all the best wherever he takes his talents and thank him for his service to the P&G

If he goes to the Clippers don't blame Lakers.. Balmer is building an arena for the team so they get a different level of respect and it is a grand idea...

Staples center is like 20 years old now

Quote:
STAPLES Center/Opened
October 17, 1999
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 5:11 pm    Post subject:

BennyLava wrote:
There is definitely a media narrative here. Why is this newsworthy? Because it’s Lakers and West last name? What’s next?

Lakers long time janitor leaves the Lakers to join clippers? Widely regarded as the person who kept Lakers facilities tidy.

- WOJ

or maybe it's return fire for Jerry West's "Clippers are the best organization I've been with." comment.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 5:17 pm    Post subject:

numero-ocho wrote:
BennyLava wrote:

- WOJ

or maybe it's return fire for Jerry West's "Clippers are the best organization I've been with." comment.

no one believes Jerry.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 5:18 pm    Post subject:

I like how they give him credit for the Lakers "draft success" of the last few years. I really like it. Because, you know we drafted so many superstars. In the years in the lottery we had zero players that were of all star caliber as a Laker. Zero.

Draft success is like Kobe with the 13th pick, Spurs trading for 15th pick Kawhi. Making the right choice at #1. Nothing the Lakers did in the draft lottery the last few years was all that impressive or anything great. Whether it was West's kid, Ryan, or someone else who made those decisions, I am not all that impressed with our drafting especially considering we had so many top 2, top lottery positions.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
CervantesRises
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 5:19 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:

+1

Can anyone who's convinced this is horrible please give everyone Ryan's job description and key draft picks he is credited with?

If you can't then perhaps you're being biased by his last name.

#BannersOverBillboards
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 5:21 pm    Post subject:

His contract was up and they agreed to part ways. I don't think there was room for him to grow in the organization, so he chose to venture out. Kinda sad to be honest, that someone been with the organization for 10 years and don't move up; while other people just get hired on, overshadowing his "perceived" contribution. I wish him the best of luck. Stand up, good people are hard to come by. He'll land on his feet and hopefully this won't affect us that much.

Last edited by Outspoken on Sat Jul 27, 2019 5:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 5:22 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
I like how they give him credit for the Lakers "draft success" of the last few years. I really like it. Because, you know we drafted so many superstars. In the years in the lottery we had zero players that were of all star caliber as a Laker. Zero.

Draft success is like Kobe with the 13th pick, Spurs trading for 15th pick Kawhi. Making the right choice at #1. Nothing the Lakers did in the draft lottery the last few years was all that impressive or anything great. Whether it was West's kid, Ryan, or someone else who made those decisions, I am not all that impressed with our drafting especially considering we had so many top 2, top lottery positions.

i dont think anyone has given him sole credit for anything. Most people credit Joey/jesse
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 5:25 pm    Post subject:

CervantesRises wrote:
DancingBarry wrote:

+1

Can anyone who's convinced this is horrible please give everyone Ryan's job description and key draft picks he is credited with?

If you can't then perhaps you're being biased by his last name.

I only know that he is credited for D Russ and Jordan Clarkson, but I don't think this is horrible, I think he did what was best for him. We are moving in a different direction and he didn't fit into our future plans in terms of the position he may have wanted. He may have seemed stagnate and wanted to expand.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 5:25 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:

Here's why it is a big deal, it's on brand for the Lakers to give big jobs to people who haven't worked their way up through the ranks, but someone like West who is putting in the time can't find opportunity.

Jim, Walton, Magic, Pelinka, Kidd, Kurt, Linda, all given major roles without the requisite work experience. Another person who fits that description is Jeanie, who is perpetuating that culture. It's not exceptionalism, its privilege.
K2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 5:30 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
Where is he going?

My guess is he's going to the Clippers to join his dad. With all of the intel going around during the #2 chaos, wouldn't be surprised if the Wests talked about it around the dinner table at some point. Clippers would've had some intel on what the Lakers were up to and could probably stay on the down low until that #2 dropped right into their hands.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 5:31 pm    Post subject:

He probably breathes a sigh of relief to be free of the Buss family post-Dr. Buss.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 5:33 pm    Post subject:

Guys I just realized that we don’t have a lot of draft picks in the up-coming years and Ryan West is supposedly a draft guru, now it’s understandale why West would leave the Organization.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 5:34 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
He probably breathes a sigh of relief to be free of the Buss family post-Dr. Buss.

Lakers are a title contender, why should there be a sigh of relief?
Samoji
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 5:39 pm    Post subject:

Everything is coming to full circle now. Based on Momo's reporting, it looks like LAL gave Ryan a heads up his contract will not be renewed a while back. I am guessing he probably knew this even during the Summer League. Could explain why he mostly hung out with his dad (Jerry) at the SL. Conspiracy theory will suggest Jerry's comments about "Clippers being the best organization he has been involved with" may be related to his son's situation.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 5:46 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:

lols. its been a while no? have to believe if such a burden he would have left a while ago.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 5:49 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

lols. its been a while no? have to believe if such a burden he would have left a while ago.

It said that his contract was up, I am sure he realizes that there is no future if you aren’t a Buss.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 5:52 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Halflife wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

It said that his contract was up, I am sure he realizes that there is no future if you aren’t a Buss.

He doesn’t have a future here because we traded all of our draft picks in the up coming years, he has no room to work here... not everything has to revolve around bashing Jeanie Buss.
Pureshot77
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 5:56 pm    Post subject:

Can we just merge everything into a "West" thread. Keep it in the lounge if you must. Thanks Mods.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:02 pm    Post subject:

Luminous8 wrote:
DancingBarry wrote:

How do you figure? I thought he was really being groomed. I don’t know much about the front office personnel and how important they are.

Just from knowledge of the decision making for quite some time. People probably forget there was a time when everyone seemed to give him credit for everything good that happened simply because of his name. That narrative changed only in the last couple years or so.
Legacy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:06 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
Luminous8 wrote:
DancingBarry wrote:

Just from knowledge of the decision making for quite some time. People probably forget there was a time when everyone seemed to give him credit for everything good that happened simply because of his name. That narrative changed only in the last couple years or so.

I agree with most of that, except for the "everything" part. He was actually very good at his duties. Seemingly.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:09 pm    Post subject:

If we have a disappointing season, we're going to be hearing all about this in every P&M thread.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:19 pm    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
Surprise surprise.

Jeanie’s issue with the West family is going to hurt this franchise.

To be honest I am surprised that he stayed loyal as he did despite what they did to his father.

Obviously a lot of it was that he was being groomed to be our GM once Mitch left but Jeanie put the kibosh on that when she fired Mitch, and brought in Magilinka.

Also yes, if we have a bad season and lose AD in the post-season we will be hearing about this, because essentially everyone that made every good decision for the Lakers the past decade and a half will be gone, and we'll be stuck with Jeanie and Rob whose greatest claim to fame will be blowing it. Especially if all the main youngsters core we got rid of (D'Lo, Lonzo, Ingram, Randle) start becoming stars around the league while we're on the LeBron retirement tour.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9
Jump to: