Ryan West leaving the Lakers Organization
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LaxT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 4:16 am    Post subject:

numero-ocho wrote:
I understand him deciding to leave. 10 years is a long time to be with an organization without a lot of upward mobility. West was being groomed by Mitch, who was mentored by his dad, for bigger things. After the big shakeup West kinda fell into obscurity while Jesse Buss' star has risen.

I have a different interpretation about Jesse. I think it means that the current regime of Jeanie/Linda and Kurt Rambis/Pelinka holds power firmly, and Joey and Jesse are not in the inner circle.

Among the decision makers, only Kurt has a history related to making basketball decisions, and his track record is quite forgettable.
oaktown_dimond
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 4:32 am    Post subject:

That's the risk. AD leaves. I'm sure Rob got assurances... But I doubt it's in writing.

We drafted okay. Hindsight is always 20/20... Tatum, Donovan, fox, etc... At least none of our picks turned into fultz. Lol!

Ingram will be good, but he needs an outside shot. And his Kobe iso fadeaways won't work if the defender can just bounce him like a little rat dog... Meaning, he needs to add muscle.

Dlo? Eh, I think he's still a slow chucker. Gsw will be the test for him this year. And he wasn't worth max, so I was fine with not getting him back.

Randle? We should have kept him when he was restricted. I wouldn't have given him that Knicks deal though.

Ball? You'd need a crystal ball to predict if he'll be a bust or not. I still think he'll be kinda jason kiddy (and a lot taller) ... But good lord, learn to hit a free throw!

Losing ball hurt a bit honestly.

MJST wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
Surprise surprise.

Jeanie’s issue with the West family is going to hurt this franchise.

To be honest I am surprised that he stayed loyal as he did despite what they did to his father.

Obviously a lot of it was that he was being groomed to be our GM once Mitch left but Jeanie put the kibosh on that when she fired Mitch, and brought in Magilinka.

Also yes, if we have a bad season and lose AD in the post-season we will be hearing about this, because essentially everyone that made every good decision for the Lakers the past decade and a half will be gone, and we'll be stuck with Jeanie and Rob whose greatest claim to fame will be blowing it. Especially if all the main youngsters core we got rid of (D'Lo, Lonzo, Ingram, Randle) start becoming stars around the league while we're on the LeBron retirement tour.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 5:54 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
dabask11 wrote:
If he goes to the clippers...

I'd be surprised if he goes anywhere else but the Clippers.

Yeah. I'm sure Lawrence Frank would love to have another West being given credit for his work.
LakersFan_73
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:40 am    Post subject:

Judah wrote:
Sssmush wrote:
allegedly he was relaying internal Lakers information to Jerry West during the Kawhi negotiation. We need that as much as we need another Magic Johnson on our elbow.

I mean with Magic leaking anything he could get his hands on to the press INSTANTLY, minute by minute, and this guy telling Jerry West everything, I mean what chance of getting Kawhi did we have? He'll be on the Clippers payroll next time you see him, surprise surprise.

If we can fault Jeannie at all it's for not firing him in June, as well as making it crystal clear to Kawhi that Magic Johnson is no longer part of the Lakers management or organization, he's just some disgruntled ex-player who likes to tweet.

Link?

Link?
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:43 am    Post subject:

oaktown_dimond wrote:
That's the risk. AD leaves. I'm sure Rob got assurances... But I doubt it's in writing.

We drafted okay. Hindsight is always 20/20... Tatum, Donovan, fox, etc... At least none of our picks turned into fultz. Lol!

Donovan was the only real miss out of all these drafts IMO, but not sure if he'll ever be able to set the offensive and defensive tempo the way Ball does when he's healthy. I'm not sold on Fox's defense. Ball will have more utility as a floor general when he gets that jumper down.

Tatum didn't improve this year and put up worse numbers than year 2 Ingram. The insane hype and expectations essentially set him up to fail, but patience is always the key with young players.

The drafting has been close to A+ level. DLo made one all-star team, and Randle has a strong possibility to make it in the east. Jury is still out on Ingram, but he should be an all-star if he's healthy. Hart, Kuz and the rest will be decent if they are healthy. Healthy is the keyword here for young guys, given how susceptible they are to injury.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:46 am    Post subject:

KindCrippler2000 wrote:
oaktown_dimond wrote:

Donovan was the only real miss out of all these drafts IMO, but not sure if he'll ever be able to set the offensive and defensive tempo the way Ball does when he's healthy. I'm not sold on Fox's defense. Ball will have more utility as a floor general when he gets that jumper down.

Tatum didn't improve this year and put up worse numbers than year 2 Ingram. The insane hype and expectations essentially set him up to fail, but patience is always the key with young players.

The drafting has been close to A+ level. DLo made one all-star team, and Randle has a strong possibility to make it in the east. Jury is still out on Ingram, but he should be an all-star if he's healthy. Hart, Kuz and the rest will be decent if they are healthy. Healthy is the keyword here for young guys, given how susceptible they are to injury.

A+ is the highest mark possible?

Unless there's an A++?
PayasoLoco
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:48 am    Post subject:

KindCrippler2000 wrote:
oaktown_dimond wrote:

Its not the players we draft its how garbage our staff has been along with FO. IF ingram was drafted by Boston and had the development of their staff i wouldn't be shocked if he was untradeble right now
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:49 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Jesusdelonla wrote:
U still stuck on his last name. That's the only reason he had a job

you literally have no idea if that is true

You literally have no idea if that's not true
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:51 am    Post subject:

Jesusdelonla wrote:
MJST wrote:
Jesusdelonla wrote:
MJST wrote:
SGVL1 wrote:
People lose their minds when he leaves but nobody cared when he was here (my bad Inspector ..”there”...

People cared about Ryan for a while.

He was being groomed to be our GM, made brilliant moves in the draft, and he and Jesse are given the most credits for those we drafted and each steal.

And the fact that in the past 5 or so drafts, the majority of the people we drafted were top 3-5 in the draft's actual talent and upside they reached.

When you play the numbers of the NBA Draft that is impressive. It sucks none of them but Kuzma are here anymore though.

No only u did cause of his last name.

Nope. lots of Lakers fans did, which is why Jesse and he always got a lot of credits when it came to the drafts. Just because you didn't doesn't mean everyone else thought that way.

Nope Jesse gets lot of credit for it. Reality is nobody cares about Ryan West otherwise some team would have snatched him up

Actually in 2015 vlade tried to snatch Ryan West up to be apart of the king's front office, but Ryan West turned them down. At that time, mitch was grooming him to become a GM of the Lakers. The even promoted Ryan West to director of player personnel because we (Jim/Mitch) wanted to keep him apart of the organization. He left his father's side to be here with the Lakers, but things because stagnate once Mitch and Jim got fired. They moved in a different direction and Ryan West was allegedly an after thought.
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:53 am    Post subject:

PayasoLoco wrote:
KindCrippler2000 wrote:
oaktown_dimond wrote:

Its not the players we draft its how garbage our staff has been along with FO. IF ingram was drafted by Boston and had the development of their staff i wouldn't be shocked if he was untradeble right now

I mean, BI was working with the same guy who guided KD's development when he was a pup too
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:59 am    Post subject:

PayasoLoco wrote:
KindCrippler2000 wrote:
oaktown_dimond wrote:

Makes no sense. Boston is so good at player development, look m smart now shoots as for as Steph Curry

3 #2 picks and not 1 player as good as Booker, Murray and others
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 7:13 am    Post subject:

Jesusdelonla wrote:
PayasoLoco wrote:
KindCrippler2000 wrote:
oaktown_dimond wrote:

Makes no sense. Boston is so good at player development, look m smart now shoots as for as Steph Curry

3 #2 picks and not 1 player as good as Booker, Murray and others

Jamal Murray year 3 stats: 18/4/4 on 43/36/84 splits
Brandon Ingram year 3 stats: 18/5/3 on 50/33/67 splits

You can make the case that BI was better than Murray easily. Nuggets offense more sophisticated, while BI mismanaged with Luke.

I won't talk trash about Booker, but you can argue Russell had a greater impact on the Nets this year. His playmaking/passing abilities added another dimension to the Nets offense. How will Russell look in an offense as sophisticated as the Warriors?
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 7:16 am    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
deal wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Halflife wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
He probably breathes a sigh of relief to be free of the Buss family post-Dr. Buss.

lols. its been a while no? have to believe if such a burden he would have left a while ago.

It said that his contract was up, I am sure he realizes that there is no future if you aren’t a Buss.

Family businesses are like that.

Nepotism at its ugliest

Dude. The guy's last name is "West."

His 1st job out of college was working as a scout for the Memphis Grizzlies - you know, the team where his dad was the General Manager.

His 2nd job was working as a scout for the Los Angeles Lakers - you know, the team where his dad drew a paycheck for 40 years.

Let's not act like this is some gritty guy from across the tracks who graduated from the school of hard knocks to climb the ladder against all the odds. His dad is rich and powerful, gave him his start and opened doors for him. That's life.

And let’s not act like he wasn’t a guy who had success at what he did with a good reputation around the league. He is no Jeanie Buss, he actually has produced positive results.
Pureshot77
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 7:19 am    Post subject:

Another bash the FO thread....
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 7:30 am    Post subject:

Pureshot77 wrote:
Another bash the FO thread....

It's only just begun I think. Wait until tomorrow when the sports talk shows and NBA beat writers get back to work. There isn't a whole lot of new NBA stories going on but now they have a new talking point to push their stories about instability in the Lakers front office. If it were any other NBA executive in a similar low profile position leaving another team this would just be a footnote. Because this is the Lakers and his last name is West it's a story.

I expect to read a hot take from a certain former Lakers exec who craves media attention and has an ax to grind that will become headline news.
manlisten
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 7:43 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:

And let’s not act like he wasn’t a guy who had success at what he did with a good reputation around the league. He is no Jeanie Buss, he actually has produced positive results.

Can you describe in detail the extent of Ryan West's job duties and his accomplishments while working for the Lakers?
It was reminiscent of one of those Most Interesting Man in the World advertisements: "I don't always shoot 6-for-28 from the field, but when I do, I become the youngest player in league history to score 28,000 career points."
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 7:45 am    Post subject:

The optics look bad and will be spun that way... and would have loved to have him around long term but I guess he wasn't doing all that much and he wants a larger role.

Plus, Jesse Buss is the one nailing these late picks from what I've read as Laker players have confirmed.
CervantesRises
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 7:52 am    Post subject:

Jesusdelonla wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Jesusdelonla wrote:

The name may have gotten him a job but 10 years says he earned it.

#BannersOverBillboards
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 7:55 am    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
The optics look bad and will be spun that way... and would have loved to have him around long term but I guess he wasn't doing all that much and he wants a larger role.

Plus, Jesse Buss is the one nailing these late picks from what I've read as Laker players have confirmed.

True
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 7:55 am    Post subject:

CervantesRises wrote:
Jesusdelonla wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Jesusdelonla wrote:

7 years with a guy who was mentored by his dad
CervantesRises
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 7:59 am    Post subject:

Jesusdelonla wrote:
CervantesRises wrote:
Jesusdelonla wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Jesusdelonla wrote:

Incompetent employees only last 10 years and 2 regimes at the Post Office, DMV, and Congress.

#BannersOverBillboards
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:15 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
deal wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Halflife wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
He probably breathes a sigh of relief to be free of the Buss family post-Dr. Buss.

lols. its been a while no? have to believe if such a burden he would have left a while ago.

It said that his contract was up, I am sure he realizes that there is no future if you aren’t a Buss.

Nepotism at its ugliest

His 1st job out of college was working as a scout for the Memphis Grizzlies - you know, the team where his dad was the General Manager.

His 2nd job was working as a scout for the Los Angeles Lakers - you know, the team where his dad drew a paycheck for 40 years.

Let's not act like this is some gritty guy from across the tracks who graduated from the school of hard knocks to climb the ladder against all the odds. His dad is rich and powerful, gave him his start and opened doors for him. That's life.

And yet, when you Google "Best Young NBA Executives" the name Ryan West is absent. You find Michael Winger (now with the Clippers), Koby Altman, Troy Weaver, Mike Zarran, Kirk Lacob (yes, his dad owns the team), Gerrson Rosas, Travis Schlenk, Mark Hughes, Brian Pauga, Brian Marks, Tommy Sheppard and a couple of former players.

https://www.chatsports.com/nba/a/here-are-6-young-nba-execs-most-likely-become-gms-future-34519

Yes, Vlade (who was drafted by his dad) supposedly kicked his tires a few years ago, but I don't see there being a huge market for Ryan outside his daddy's circle.
https://www.thesportster.com/basketball/top-10-future-general-managers-in-the-nba/
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:21 am    Post subject:

2019 wrote:

Clarkson is the one I've seen him take the most sole credit for.
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:21 am    Post subject:

CervantesRises wrote:
Jesusdelonla wrote:
CervantesRises wrote:
Jesusdelonla wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Jesusdelonla wrote:

Incompetent employees only last 10 years and 2 regimes at the Post Office, DMV, and Congress.

Again 7 years with Mitch and gone with the next regime

Lol
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:23 am    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
deal wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Halflife wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Nepotism at its ugliest

And yet, when you Google "Best Young NBA Executives" the name Ryan West is absent. You find Michael Winger (now with the Clippers), Koby Altman, Troy Weaver, Mike Zarran, Kirk Lacob (yes, his dad owns the team), Gerrson Rosas, Travis Schlenk, Mark Hughes, Brian Pauga, Brian Marks, Tommy Sheppard and a couple of former players.

https://www.chatsports.com/nba/a/here-are-6-young-nba-execs-most-likely-become-gms-future-34519

Yes, Vlade (who was drafted by his dad) supposedly kicked his tires a few years ago, but I don't see there being a huge market for Ryan outside his daddy's circle.
https://www.thesportster.com/basketball/top-10-future-general-managers-in-the-nba/

But I like to complain on everything rested to Lakers and Jeanie buss
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9
Jump to: