Ryan West leaving the Lakers Organization
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CervantesRises
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 5:39 pm    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
SuperboyReformed wrote:
i still dont understand this...
regarding jeannie, pelinka, magic, ryan west, etc...

people have such strong opinions, and seem to know who was responsible for what decision the lakers have made. yet there is very little actual information as to who does what and how those decisions were made. and then people here are really taking a stand one way or the other. i still have no idea how the decisions are made, and i follow pretty closely. nobody really knows what magic did, or what ryan west did, unless they are a level of insider that has not been revealed here or elsewhere yet.

The issue for me is the following:

1. Jerry West offered up to come back and it’s well documented personal issues with Jeanie. Helped elevate the other team in LA.
2. Magic as PBO. Ok, you pay him $10M, he vetoes recommendations which is his right in that role but then he quits.
3. You bring back Phil Jackson and elevate Rambis in response to Magic quitting. Why not bring in a respected PBO?

Forget the West family. We are very lean on respected executives, scouts and basketball ops.

Just doing whatever Klutch says is not going to work long-term imo. We will see, just think our FO is way behind the best organizations and in a salary cap league that is tough to overcome.

Fans definitely need an offseason.

I remember when the important thing was the game and not all the enquirer behind the scenes hand wringing.

Now we spend WAY more time on places like this, in topics like this, then we do actually watching games...

I am part of the problem.

#BannersOverBillboards
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 5:43 pm    Post subject:

[quote="LakerSD"][quote="Bard207"]
That is interesting because ESPN has Winger hired in mid August 2017 and the NBA web site has West hired two months earlier in mid June 2017.

Press Release: L.A. Clippers Hire Jerry West

Quote:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE - Posted: Jun 19, 2017

Quote:

The LA Clippers have offered Oklahoma City Thunder executive Michael Winger its general manager job, league sources told ESPN.
Michael Winger Getty Images

Ok so Winger was roughly the same time frame. Maybe West suggested him...

It got better for the Clippers as soon as West got hired. The creativity and moves and they have made are West-esque. He is not a pricey consultant for no reason imo and he was extended again this summer.

I don’t think we keep Bertka around just for nostalgia. Jeanie just refused to bring back another killer in West.

Lawrence Frank had very little solid experience as a FO executive, so I agree with you that West very likely was a strong influence on who was hired in summer 2017 (Winger, Redden and Hughes).
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:08 pm    Post subject:

Ryan West and Lakers parted ways because neither side saw opportunities for advancement

Quote:
A lack of an opportunity for growth led to Ryan West’s departure from the Lakers.

https://www.silverscreenandroll.com/2019/7/28/8933905/lakers-news-ryan-west-parts-ways-rob-pelinka-general-manager-ramona-shelburne
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:01 pm    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
Ryan West and Lakers parted ways because neither side saw opportunities for advancement

Quote:
A lack of an opportunity for growth led to Ryan West’s departure from the Lakers.

https://www.silverscreenandroll.com/2019/7/28/8933905/lakers-news-ryan-west-parts-ways-rob-pelinka-general-manager-ramona-shelburne

Well that makes sense then. When I first first saw this I got upset for a minute because my brain read Jesse Buss (which I know makes no sense) and I was like WHOA . But once I got it together I calmed down. Too bad but hope he finds a good new spot to grow in.
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:08 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
deal wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Halflife wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
He probably breathes a sigh of relief to be free of the Buss family post-Dr. Buss.

lols. its been a while no? have to believe if such a burden he would have left a while ago.

It said that his contract was up, I am sure he realizes that there is no future if you aren’t a Buss.

Family businesses are like that.

Nepotism at its ugliest

Dude. The guy's last name is "West."

His 1st job out of college was working as a scout for the Memphis Grizzlies - you know, the team where his dad was the General Manager.

His 2nd job was working as a scout for the Los Angeles Lakers - you know, the team where his dad drew a paycheck for 40 years.

Let's not act like this is some gritty guy from across the tracks who graduated from the school of hard knocks to climb the ladder against all the odds. His dad is rich and powerful, gave him his start and opened doors for him. That's life.

And let’s not act like he wasn’t a guy who had success at what he did with a good reputation around the league. He is no Jeanie Buss, he actually has produced positive results.

And yet, when you Google "Best Young NBA Executives" the name Ryan West is absent. You find Michael Winger (now with the Clippers), Koby Altman, Troy Weaver, Mike Zarran, Kirk Lacob (yes, his dad owns the team), Gerrson Rosas, Travis Schlenk, Mark Hughes, Brian Pauga, Brian Marks, Tommy Sheppard and a couple of former players.

https://www.chatsports.com/nba/a/here-are-6-young-nba-execs-most-likely-become-gms-future-34519

Yes, Vlade (who was drafted by his dad) supposedly kicked his tires a few years ago, but I don't see there being a huge market for Ryan outside his daddy's circle.
https://www.thesportster.com/basketball/top-10-future-general-managers-in-the-nba/

Michael Winger - Worked in the OKC FO before becoming Clippers GM. Noted for his work with the CBA and contracts.

Troy Weaver - Still with OKC the last that I know of. Was considered one of the finalists for the Washington opening.

Koby Altman - Worked his way up with Cleveland.

Mike Zarran - Boston FO. Highly regarded, but had been extremely loyal to the Celtics so far.

Kirk Lacob - Did some intern work for Boston and graduated from Stanford.

Gersson Rosas - Spent quite some time in the Houston FO before taking over in Minnesota.

Travis Schlenk - Was in the Golden State FO before taking over in Atlanta.

Mark Hughes - Worked for the Knicks before joining the Clippers.

Brian Pauga - Worked for the Spurs before going to Minnesota. There was a regime change with Rosas taking over and Pauga's contract wasn't renewed. Maybe he will rejoin the Spurs.

Tommy Sheppard - Washington FO before becoming Washington GM

Brian Marks - There was a college player by that name a decade ago that would be around 30 years old today. I have no idea which NBA FO he is working in, so you will have to help me with this one.

The OKC GM Presti worked for the Spurs before taking over the Supersonics/Thunder.

Overall, there are quite a few direct and indirect connections to the Spurs. So Ryan West not being noted/ranked as a strong candidate for a high FO position with another team might also reflect some on the Lakers organization as well.

Hoops 2.0: Inside the NBA’s Data-Driven Revolution

Quote:

Kopp set out to approach those teams he felt would be most receptive to new technology: “It’s not like we offered this to all 30 teams.” Those charter members — guinea pigs? — were the Houston Rockets, billionaire Mark Cuban’s Dallas Mavericks, the San Antonio Spurs and the Oklahoma City Thunder.

Quote:

As it happens, the Golden State Warriors weren’t looking to become a part of the NBA’s semisecret pack of data-minded revolutionaries. Hell, Warriors fans were just happy enough to be rid of despised former owner Chris Cohan, who sold the team last summer to venture capitalist Joe Lacob (a partner at Kleiner Perkins for 24 years) and film producer Peter Guber.

Quote:

Sure, Schlenk and Smart saw that All-Star guard Monta Ellis pumped in 46 points and newcomer David Lee had 17 points and 15 rebounds. But they weren’t privy to the same kind of knowledge and analysis that Rockets general manager (and MIT grad) Daryl Morey and his crew had.

Two-and-a-half months later, that all changed.

Sophisticated Cameras to Begin Tracking Every N.B.A. Play

Quote:

The N.B.A. first experimented with SportVu during the 2009 finals between the Los Angeles Lakers and the Orlando Magic. Six forward thinking teams installed the system for the 2010-11 season: Dallas, Houston, San Antonio, Oklahoma City, Boston and Golden State. By last season, 15 teams (including the Knicks) had adopted the system, which uses six small cameras and Stats’ proprietary software.

Now back to your list of names with those having OKC, Dallas, Houston, San Antonio, Boston and Golden State connections in blue.

Michael Winger

Troy Weaver

Koby Altman

Mike Zarran

Kirk Lacob

Gersson Rosas

Travis Schlenk

Mark Hughes

Brian Pauga

Tommy Sheppard

Brian Marks - ?
Pureshot77
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:13 pm    Post subject:

Bard207 wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
deal wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Halflife wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
He probably breathes a sigh of relief to be free of the Buss family post-Dr. Buss.

lols. its been a while no? have to believe if such a burden he would have left a while ago.

It said that his contract was up, I am sure he realizes that there is no future if you aren’t a Buss.

Family businesses are like that.

Nepotism at its ugliest

Dude. The guy's last name is "West."

His 1st job out of college was working as a scout for the Memphis Grizzlies - you know, the team where his dad was the General Manager.

His 2nd job was working as a scout for the Los Angeles Lakers - you know, the team where his dad drew a paycheck for 40 years.

Let's not act like this is some gritty guy from across the tracks who graduated from the school of hard knocks to climb the ladder against all the odds. His dad is rich and powerful, gave him his start and opened doors for him. That's life.

And let’s not act like he wasn’t a guy who had success at what he did with a good reputation around the league. He is no Jeanie Buss, he actually has produced positive results.

And yet, when you Google "Best Young NBA Executives" the name Ryan West is absent. You find Michael Winger (now with the Clippers), Koby Altman, Troy Weaver, Mike Zarran, Kirk Lacob (yes, his dad owns the team), Gerrson Rosas, Travis Schlenk, Mark Hughes, Brian Pauga, Brian Marks, Tommy Sheppard and a couple of former players.

https://www.chatsports.com/nba/a/here-are-6-young-nba-execs-most-likely-become-gms-future-34519

Yes, Vlade (who was drafted by his dad) supposedly kicked his tires a few years ago, but I don't see there being a huge market for Ryan outside his daddy's circle.
https://www.thesportster.com/basketball/top-10-future-general-managers-in-the-nba/

Michael Winger - Worked in the OKC FO before becoming Clippers GM. Noted for his work with the CBA and contracts.

Troy Weaver - Still with OKC the last that I know of. Was considered one of the finalists for the Washington opening.

Koby Altman - Worked his way up with Cleveland.

Mike Zarran - Boston FO. Highly regarded, but had been extremely loyal to the Celtics so far.

Kirk Lacob - Did some intern work for Boston and graduated from Stanford.

Gersson Rosas - Spent quite some time in the Houston FO before taking over in Minnesota.

Travis Schlenk - Was in the Golden State FO before taking over in Atlanta.

Mark Hughes - Worked for the Knicks before joining the Clippers.

Brian Pauga - Worked for the Spurs before going to Minnesota. There was a regime change with Rosas taking over and Pauga's contract wasn't renewed. Maybe he will rejoin the Spurs.

Tommy Sheppard - Washington FO before becoming Washington GM

Brian Marks - There was a college player by that name a decade ago that would be around 30 years old today. I have no idea which NBA FO he is working in, so you will have to help me with this one.

The OKC GM Presti worked for the Spurs before taking over the Supersonics/Thunder.

Overall, there are quite a few direct and indirect connections to the Spurs. So Ryan West not being noted/ranked as a strong candidate for a high FO position with another team might also reflect some on the Lakers organization as well.

Hoops 2.0: Inside the NBA’s Data-Driven Revolution

Quote:

Kopp set out to approach those teams he felt would be most receptive to new technology: “It’s not like we offered this to all 30 teams.” Those charter members — guinea pigs? — were the Houston Rockets, billionaire Mark Cuban’s Dallas Mavericks, the San Antonio Spurs and the Oklahoma City Thunder.

Quote:

As it happens, the Golden State Warriors weren’t looking to become a part of the NBA’s semisecret pack of data-minded revolutionaries. Hell, Warriors fans were just happy enough to be rid of despised former owner Chris Cohan, who sold the team last summer to venture capitalist Joe Lacob (a partner at Kleiner Perkins for 24 years) and film producer Peter Guber.

Quote:

Sure, Schlenk and Smart saw that All-Star guard Monta Ellis pumped in 46 points and newcomer David Lee had 17 points and 15 rebounds. But they weren’t privy to the same kind of knowledge and analysis that Rockets general manager (and MIT grad) Daryl Morey and his crew had.

Two-and-a-half months later, that all changed.

Sophisticated Cameras to Begin Tracking Every N.B.A. Play

Quote:

The N.B.A. first experimented with SportVu during the 2009 finals between the Los Angeles Lakers and the Orlando Magic. Six forward thinking teams installed the system for the 2010-11 season: Dallas, Houston, San Antonio, Oklahoma City, Boston and Golden State. By last season, 15 teams (including the Knicks) had adopted the system, which uses six small cameras and Stats’ proprietary software.

Now back to your list of names with those having OKC, Dallas, Houston, San Antonio, Boston and Golden State connections in blue.

Michael Winger

Troy Weaver

Koby Altman

Mike Zarran

Kirk Lacob

Gersson Rosas

Travis Schlenk

Mark Hughes

Brian Pauga

Tommy Sheppard

Brian Marks - ?

Thanks for the informative post.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:44 pm    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:

Quote:

Quote:
When longtime Lakers assistant general manager Glenn Carraro resigned from his position in 2017, many assumed that West would assume that role alongside Jesse Buss, who was promoted to assistant general manager in 2015, but it doesn’t sound like that opportunity was ever presented to West and according to Shelburne’s report, a similar offer wasn’t on the horizon, either.

Buss and West were both promoted at the same time. Buss named Asst Gm/Dir of Scouting and West was named Dir of Player Personnel.

https://www.nba.com/lakers/releases/150911frontofficepromotions
Nnamdi21
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:31 pm    Post subject:

not sure how to take this. I liked our later 1st round picks and 2nd round picks. and maybe West was part of that? Seems like he made a business decision and good for him but i'm a bit concerned about the Lakers if they refuse to promote good talented people within the org. It's not exactly a equal opportunity type atmosphere. and the person at head doesnt seem to care. very concerning.
Palin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:55 am    Post subject:

Seems like there was only 1 top job at Lakers out there for Jesse/Joey and Ryan. Ryan knew his chances are low to get that spot over Buss kids. Its time to move on for him. I am not sure he would join Clippers where that top spot will not be available for long time. No biggie, this happens to every team.
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:58 am    Post subject:

Nnamdi21 wrote:
not sure how to take this. I liked our later 1st round picks and 2nd round picks. and maybe West was part of that? Seems like he made a business decision and good for him but i'm a bit concerned about the Lakers if they refuse to promote good talented people within the org. It's not exactly a equal opportunity type atmosphere. and the person at head doesnt seem to care. very concerning.

Pelinka is 49 and the Buss brothers active with the team are in their 30's. There is no need for the Lakers to devote resources to develop West since the Buss brothers will be ahead of him on the list of candidates to replace Pelinka in the future.

His career is going to stagnate if he doesn't move on. Maybe he never becomes a NBA GM, but he will at least get a shot to develop in a different situation.
lakerican
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:23 am    Post subject:

Bard207 wrote:
Nnamdi21 wrote:

Pelinka is 49 and the Buss brothers active with the team are in their 30's. There is no need for the Lakers to devote resources to develop West since the Buss brothers will be ahead of him on the list of candidates to replace Pelinka in the future.

His career is going to stagnate if he doesn't move on. Maybe he never becomes a NBA GM, but he will at least get a shot to develop in a different situation.

Exactly. This move is not about The Lakers; it is about RWest.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:29 am    Post subject:

Bard207 wrote:
Nnamdi21 wrote:

I guess that’s going to be the spin, at least for now. In light of the public dysfunctionality of the front office, I’m not sure this will prove convincing. Also, the idea that another Buss brother is in line to run the FO is alarming.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:51 am    Post subject:

numero-ocho wrote:
pio2u wrote:

Quote:

Quote:
When longtime Lakers assistant general manager Glenn Carraro resigned from his position in 2017, many assumed that West would assume that role alongside Jesse Buss, who was promoted to assistant general manager in 2015, but it doesn’t sound like that opportunity was ever presented to West and according to Shelburne’s report, a similar offer wasn’t on the horizon, either.

Buss and West were both promoted at the same time. Buss named Asst Gm/Dir of Scouting and West was named Dir of Player Personnel.

https://www.nba.com/lakers/releases/150911frontofficepromotions

They were competing for the same job essentially. Obviously the one with ownership stake gets advancement preference.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:02 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Bard207 wrote:
Nnamdi21 wrote:

I guess that’s going to be the spin, at least for now. In light of the public dysfunctionality of the front office, I’m not sure this will prove convincing. Also, the idea that another Buss brother is in line to run the FO is alarming.

Let’s just say Jesse Buss and Mazzella do what Ryan West and Jesse Buss were doing prior to this change:

1. Who are the other execs or scouts? Seems pretty lean basketball ops when compared to other top organizations.

2. Who is the president of basketball operations? We are in trouble if it’s a combination of Harris and Jesse Buss and I like Jesse too.

I’m just assuming Mazzella is replacing West, with an elevated role for Jesse.

Lean FO lacking basketball expertise imo.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:39 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:

1. Who are the other execs or scouts? Seems pretty lean basketball ops when compared to other top organizations.

Director of of Scouting: Jesse Buss
Head scout: Irving Thomas
Scout: Sean Buss
Scout: Antawn Jamison
International scout: Can Pelister
International scout: Antonion Maceiras
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:55 am    Post subject:

numero-ocho wrote:
LakerSD wrote:

Director of of Scouting: Jesse Buss
Head scout: Irving Thomas
Scout: Sean Buss
Scout: Antawn Jamison
International scout: Can Pelister
International scout: Antonion Maceiras

we are definitely running a skeleton crew in the FO. And I wouldnt be surprised if the Lakers dont hire a replacement for West.
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:47 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Bard207 wrote:
Nnamdi21 wrote:

I am using the past as a guide for what to expect in the future.

Mitch replaced Jerry West with Jim having his position because he is family.

Magic and Pelinka brought in because of being considered to be family. The young Buss brothers working their way up the ladder in the FO. Until they surprise and bring in a definite outsider for a top position in the FO, I will expect them to continue to promote from within.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:18 am    Post subject:

Aren't Joey/Jesse guys who have grinded through doing all the scouting on the road etc. and have proven to be working their way up through the system?

Of course being a part owner muddies that up, but from all indications, they actually have good basketball knowledge and are doing the legwork.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:22 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Aren't Joey/Jesse guys who have grinded through doing all the scouting on the road etc. and have proven to be working their way up through the system?

Of course being a part owner muddies that up, but from all indications, they actually have good basketball knowledge and are doing the legwork.

Joey is listed as VP of Research and Analytics on the staff directory. His resume doesn't list any involvement with scouting.

Jesse has been part of the Lakers scouting department for at least the last seven years. I don't think he does most of the travel himself as the Director but oversees the scouts who do. However, one would assume as Director of Scouting and Assistant GM he has a lot of input into which players are pursued in free-agency, drafted or signed to SPL and the G-League.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:25 pm    Post subject:

numero-ocho wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Joey is listed as VP of Research and Analytics on the staff directory. His resume doesn't list any involvement with scouting.

Jesse has been part of the Lakers scouting department for at least the last seven years. I don't think he does most of the travel himself as the Director but oversees the scouts who do. However, one would assume as Director of Scouting and Assistant GM he has a lot of input into which players are pursued in free-agency, drafted or signed to SPL and the G-League.

I thought these were the Buss kids that gave a bit of hope for the future?
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:29 pm    Post subject:

numero-ocho wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Jesse is constantly on the road....
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:33 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
numero-ocho wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

I thought these were the Buss kids that gave a bit of hope for the future?

Jesse is certainly building a nice resume to run a team in the future but as someone else pointed out, Rob is only 49. Unless he decides to step down early, Jesse could have a long wait. Mitch was assistant GM for something like 15 years before West stepped down.
mxgardens
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:02 pm    Post subject:

Bard207 wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Bard207 wrote:
Nnamdi21 wrote:

I am using the past as a guide for what to expect in the future.

Mitch replaced Jerry West with Jim having his position because he is family.

Magic and Pelinka brought in because of being considered to be family. The young Buss brothers working their way up the ladder in the FO. Until they surprise and bring in a definite outsider for a top position in the FO, I will expect them to continue to promote from within.

"Considered to be family"? Look, ownership and this FO have been far from perfect the last several years. But you can't ignore the objective fact that just two years ago a member of the Buss family was terminated as the effective head of basketball ops--a process that required significant effort, expense, and emotional dislocation--and two non-family members were put in charge. The single person now in charge is not under any reasonable definition a member of the Buss family. I guarantee you will never lose an argument if you just re-frame the debate to suit your position; every person in the Lakers FO will be considered "family" if you define family as every person in the FO.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:57 pm    Post subject:

Bard207 wrote:
Brian Marks - ?

Sorry, Bobby Marks, now of ESPN after being in the Nets' FO.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:00 pm    Post subject:

I've been a fan of our non lotto draft picks for years. Gave alot of props to Ryan. Wish him the best.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9
Jump to: