How far will we go 19-20 season?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

How far will we go 19-20 season?
NBA Champion
65%
 65%  [ 71 ]
NBA Finals
2%
 2%  [ 3 ]
Western Conference Finals
15%
 15%  [ 17 ]
Western Conference Semi
10%
 10%  [ 11 ]
1st Round Playoff
3%
 3%  [ 4 ]
Out of Playoff - Disaster Season (Lottery)
1%
 1%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 108

Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:40 am    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
With the exception of the KG Celtics teams where stars have joined forces haven’t won titles their first season. I don’t expect the Lakers or Clippers to win the title next season.

You're right of course, especially when the Lakers have not been in the playoffs for 6 years - to win the championship? really?

But alas, its the off season, when fans get to dream and every team is in first place...!

Dude we have the second best odd of any team according to Vegas and have the best 1-2 punch in the game. Fans of the Lakers aren't dreaming, we are one of the few favorites to win it all.

Dont act like we don't have a real shot
DLaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 5:18 am    Post subject:

Lucky_Shot wrote:
unleasHell wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
With the exception of the KG Celtics teams where stars have joined forces haven’t won titles their first season. I don’t expect the Lakers or Clippers to win the title next season.

You're right of course, especially when the Lakers have not been in the playoffs for 6 years - to win the championship? really?

But alas, its the off season, when fans get to dream and every team is in first place...!

Dude we have the second best odd of any team according to Vegas and have the best 1-2 punch in the game. Fans of the Lakers aren't dreaming, we are one of the few favorites to win it all.

Guess you can’t prevent the half empty glass WORRIORS when the season have not even starter. Is championship a possibility with this team yes, we have a very good odd per Vegas. As fan we should be stoked, those 6 years where we didn’t make the playoff Vegas odds showed it that way.
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:47 am    Post subject:

Championship or bust. There is no in-between.
70sdude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:52 am    Post subject:

Make the playoffs by virtue of a good start to the season, but fall quickly because of the team's key people will be MIA (AD, LeBron) by season's end. A replay of last season essentially but with an outcome of a full click better.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 7:25 am    Post subject:

Lucky_Shot wrote:
unleasHell wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Do you understand how betting odds work? The goal is to separate you from your money, not predict the future.
lar9149
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 7:55 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Lucky_Shot wrote:
unleasHell wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Do you understand how betting odds work? The goal is to separate you from your money, not predict the future.

I actually agree that in general the first year with stars together don't lead to a championship. But my argument is this Laker team is an exception. Here is why?

Why did the Celtics first succeed in their first year and why did Pau and Kobe manage to get to the finals that same year despite only being together a few months?

I think because their styles are COMPLEMENTARY. Ray Allen is a 3 point so spreads the floor and can receive open passes as teams focus on Garnett and Pierce. Garnett has a heavy inside game while Pierce is the person like Kobe that go do inside outside and the like.

Similar to Kobe and Pau, Pau had a good outside shot so can spread the floor when necessary so Kobe can drive the basket without getting "clogged" up in the lane. And they run a great pick and roll together.

Davis and Lebron easily fit a complementary style. Plus you have all the other role players like Green who can hit the open 3 and spread the floor.

Now there is another exception to this rule in that teams with 3 superstars can win their first year together like Kevin Durant and the Warriors. The reason for this is simple..3 superstars. With that many on the floor, it just makes it hard to beat and the spread of the floor helped Durant get inside a
lot and use his length. The Lakers may also fit this category also because besides Davis and Lebron, Cousins can be the 3rd or Kuzma. It just isn't quite known if this is the case.
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:40 am    Post subject:

championship or bust
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:46 am    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:
championship or bust

Hmm, interesting choices...

Just whose "Bust' are we talking about?
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:50 am    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:
championship or bust

Hmm, interesting choices...

Just whose "Bust' are we talking about?

Jeanie's ofc. As long as she's rich, everything about her will be attractive.
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:56 am    Post subject:

With the KD/Steph juggernaut dismantled, it's wide open, and I think we're gonna take it.
LaxT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:21 pm    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
Voted semis but potentially WC finals if a lot of dominoes fall into place.

All will depend on health, matchups and seeding in the playoffs. Can easily imagine the highly competitive Conference being lumped together within 10 games when the dust settles. At least a couple seeding places decided by only a game or two. Or even tiebreakers.

Lakers may not have the luxury of load management as many think. How quickly can they mesh together and establish defensive intensity and chemistry? Can they absorb the season long body shots of every night taking the rest of the leagues best shot. Every night from opening night!

In the end, they slip up due to the chemistry issue. IMO it just takes time to find all the right pieces and have them all fall into place in year one. Time the Lakers do not have.

70% votes for champion. Wow.

I voted semi too. Lakers do not have the luxury of load management because of the lack of depth at forwards. Dudley would need to play around 25 minutes if AD/LBJ rests.

I am much less optimistic. Here is my prediction for next summer. The team does not peak in the playoffs due to either health or chemistry/fit issue. The pressure amounts after playoff exit, but Jeanie keeps Pelinka as her "shield". AD resigns for 2+1 in order to get best contract in 2022 after ten years of service. LBJ will be under 1+1 and his future becomes murky. The teams has no draft assets, only the MLE to offer, and becomes less attractive for the veterans chasing a ring. Pelinka assembles a squad less competitive than the current version.
LaxT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:26 pm    Post subject:

DLaker wrote:
Lucky_Shot wrote:
unleasHell wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Guess you can’t prevent the half empty glass WORRIORS when the season have not even starter. Is championship a possibility with this team yes, we have a very good odd per Vegas. As fan we should be stoked, those 6 years where we didn’t make the playoff Vegas odds showed it that way.

Really? One year ago, nobody predicted the Lakers would miss the playoffs. Not the fans, "experts", or Vegas.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:10 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:

If you are talking about one star joining a team that already has stars, that has led to a ring in the first season-- Durant joining the Warriors, Moses joining Dr. J in Philly.

If you're talking about two or more stars joining together on a new team, that's fairly rare, so I wouldn't say there is a rich amount of historical precedence that you can apply with any confidence to this year.

I'd say the Clippers and Lakers have as good a shot as anyone. But, sure, the winner could come out of the east too. I think the league is pretty wide open this year.
DLaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 5:50 am    Post subject:

After watching GoldenThroat's video stickied in the forum

I am more confident that our offense will be so dynamic that other team will have a hard time defending us. Very good shot at a championship if we get things together.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:26 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

If you are talking about one star joining a team that already has stars, that has led to a ring in the first season-- Durant joining the Warriors, Moses joining Dr. J in Philly.

If you're talking about two or more stars joining together on a new team, that's fairly rare, so I wouldn't say there is a rich amount of historical precedence that you can apply with any confidence to this year.

I'd say the Clippers and Lakers have as good a shot as anyone. But, sure, the winner could come out of the east too. I think the league is pretty wide open this year.

"Wide open" is an understatement. There are about a half dozen teams that have deep and talented rosters capable of getting to the Finals from the West.

Would anyone really be shocked if any of Den, Hou, Port, Utah, either LA team was last team standing? Could actually throw in GS and San Antonio as wildcards for good measure depending on health at playoff time.

Going to be a fun NBA season!
Wilkes52
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:52 am    Post subject:

I think that a healthy LeBron and AD tandem could make their way into an admirably deep playoff run but that they won't prevail a second series, since it's both:

- damned unlikely both players will be healthy after the 82 game season.
- a path dependent on not facing Houston, Denver or Portland before the 3rd round. I think either team would cook this Laker squad on sheer quickness and three point shooting.

Now, a player acquisition of the right type mid-season could change those things a bit. There's my hope for the year.

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:52 am    Post subject:

Wilkes52 wrote:
I think that a healthy LeBron and AD tandem could make their way into an admirably deep playoff run but that they won't prevail a second series, since it's both:

- damned unlikely both players will be healthy after the 82 game season.
- a path dependent on not facing Houston, Denver or Portland before the 3rd round. I think either team would cook this Laker squad on sheer quickness and three point shooting.

Now, a player acquisition of the right type mid-season could change those things a bit. There's my hope for the year.

Cooked, huh?
70sdude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:11 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

The Malone-Sixers combination was a whole riper banana. Their championship occurred when Moses joined a successful, competent franchise coming off three consecutive deep playoff runs: two Finals appearances and a Conference Finals loss.

The Lakers today ain't anything like that 76er club. Our favorite club hasn't won a single playoff game in seven seasons, and worse, made their last playoff appearance seven seasons back. Havent even come close to contention really.

I have a great deal of trouble projecting a deep playoff run for us in Spring 2020.
DLaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:08 pm    Post subject:

70sdude wrote:
activeverb wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

The Malone-Sixers combination was a whole riper banana. Their championship occurred when Moses joined a successful, competent franchise coming off three consecutive deep playoff runs: two Finals appearances and a Conference Finals loss.

The Lakers today ain't anything like that 76er club. Our favorite club hasn't won a single playoff game in seven seasons, and worse, made their last playoff appearance seven seasons back. Havent even come close to contention really.

I have a great deal of trouble projecting a deep playoff run for us in Spring 2020.

Lets look at active players that played half our games in order

2014 Wesley, Meeks, J Hill, Sacre, Young, Gasol, Kelly, K Marshall, X Henry & Farmar

2015 Ed Davis, Wesley, Lin, Boozer, J Hill, Sacre, Ellington, Clarkson, Kelly, Price & Young

2016 Randle, Hibbert, Dlo, Clarkson, Lou, Kobe, Bass, Nance, Young & Huertas

2017 Clarkson, BI, Randle, Tarik, Dlo, Nance, Young, Lou, Mozgov & T Robinson

2018 Randle, Kuz, KCP, Lopez, Hart, BI, Brewer, Ennis, Clarkson, Ball, Zubac & Nance

2019 KCP, Mcgee, Kuz, Lance, Hart, LBJ, BI, Chandler, Ball, Rondo & Wagner

Projected 2020 LBJ, AD, DC, Kuz, Green, Bradley, Mcgee, Rondo, Cook, KCP, Dudley, Daniel & Caruso

Can't believe anybody expected us to make the playoff with those lineup the last 6 years. This year squad is very well made and by looking at the squad we should get far if things goes well. We just got to admit we suck those 6 previous years, but this year just looks different.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:59 pm    Post subject:

70sdude wrote:
Our favorite club hasn't won a single playoff game in seven seasons, and worse, made their last playoff appearance seven seasons back. Havent even come close to contention really.

But so what?

Not a single player on this team was here three years ago, so how does what happened four or seven years reflect on them? Only two guys are here from two years ago. We might only have one starter from last year.

I have no idea how this team will be, but I am not going to count them out before the season starts.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:56 am    Post subject:

I think GS, Houston and the Clippers are the top of the West along with us. I can't see Denver, Portland or Utah doing much more than western conference finals.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:49 am    Post subject:

LaxT wrote:
DLaker wrote:
Lucky_Shot wrote:
unleasHell wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Really? One year ago, nobody predicted the Lakers would miss the playoffs. Not the fans, "experts", or Vegas.

Exactly! How many "experts" predicted the Warriors would 6 less games the year after signing Durant (73 vs 67)...!!!
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:51 am    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:
LaxT wrote:
DLaker wrote:
Lucky_Shot wrote:
unleasHell wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Exactly! How many "experts" predicted the Warriors would 6 less games the year after signing Durant (73 vs 67)...!!!

You can only roll your eyes at the people who cross their arms and state with absolute certainty how the future will unfold. If we really knew that, we wouldn't bother to watch the games.

And of course the "odds" change every day, because situations change every day. The guesses we make today might be nothing like the guesses we make in December, March or May.
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:44 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:

Call me an optimist, but I think we can match what KG's Celts did. Plus, we don't even have to go through an MVP Kobe, a prime Pau, and PJax on the bench to get that ring.
BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:05 am    Post subject:

defense wrote:
I think GS, Houston and the Clippers are the top of the West along with us. I can't see Denver, Portland or Utah doing much more than western conference finals.

So seven out of eight western conference playoff teams can potentially make the WCF? Bold prediction

On a serious note, everyone is worried about how we will match-up with these western conference teams. I bet those teams are worried about how they will match-up with us, and they should be. This season is our year.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: