Lakers’ New Young Core
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:34 am    Post subject: Lakers’ New Young Core

Lakers’ Young Core Among Worst in NBA After Trades Says Analyst
Thoughts ...... "yes, no, maybe"

Quote:
Zach Cram of The Ringer analyzed the “young cores” of every team in the league, meaning that he filtered out rosters to just include players under 24-years-old. He determined that Los Angeles has the No. 26 young core in the NBA.

*Kostas Antetokounmpo - 21
*Talen Horton-Tucker - 18
*Kyle Kuzma - 24
*Zach Norvell - 21

Quote:
#26. Los Angeles Lakers
WAR: 6.0 | Best Under-25 Player: Kyle Kuzma (4.0)

The CARMELO system doesn’t love Kuzma, the only young Laker of note after L.A.’s trade for Anthony Davis and subsequent trade to clear cap space.
The Lakers do love Kuzma—they refused to include him in the Davis deal—but in two seasons thus far, he’s profiled as an inefficient scorer and poor defender.
At least for now, that combination pushes him closer to a back-end rotation player than future core contributor.

* https://www.theringer.com/nba/2019/7/23/20703286/nba-young-core-rankings

* https://heavy.com/sports/2019/07/lakers-young-core-worst-trades-the-ringer/
PRLakeShow
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:47 am    Post subject:

That's not a core. It's just Kuzma and three random guys.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:55 am    Post subject:

PRLakeShow wrote:
pretty much
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:22 am    Post subject:

and don't forget alex the pope
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:23 am    Post subject:

Remember the good old days when we used to compete for championships and no one cared about "young cores".
LVLAKERFAN
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:24 am    Post subject:

KCP, COOK and AD are only 26. They are still kinda young.
AD/MORRIS/DUDLEY
GASOL/HARRELL/TINKLE
Coachs:Vogel/Kidd
blackmamba08
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:40 am    Post subject:

Who give a (bleep) about the young anymore. Some people have to realize we are done with youth. Thats history. Now its time to play for chips.
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:53 am    Post subject:

PRLakeShow wrote:

Haha yup.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:27 am    Post subject:

I think Kuz has become a bit overrated, but to call him a "back-end rotation player than future core contributor" is asinine.

He may not be a 2 way all around player, but he will still be at worst, a 17-20ppg level scorer. That isn't a back-end rotation player.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:08 am    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:
and don't forget alex the pope

Quote:
Zach Cram of The Ringer analyzed the “young cores” of every team in the league, meaning that he filtered out rosters to just include players under 24-years-old. He determined that Los Angeles has the No. 26 young core in the NBA.

AC is 25, KCP, QC & Ad are 26 years-old.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:10 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
I think Kuz has become a bit overrated, but to call him a "back-end rotation player than future core contributor" is asinine.

He may not be a 2 way all around player, but he will still be at worst, a 17-20ppg level scorer. That isn't a back-end rotation player.

I agree; that assessment of Kuzma is quite harsh and IMO off target.
Pureshot77
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:28 am    Post subject:

Not sure but they did get you to read their article .
tkLAKERS
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:31 am    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

I agree; that assessment of Kuzma is quite harsh and IMO off target.

This is because Kuzma is still a Laker. The minute he ends up on another team, he will instantly become a near all-star level player on the cusp of stardom.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:40 am    Post subject:

Yup. People ripped Zo/BI all the time and mocked them being Lakers core pieces.

Now they're on the Pels and now they are the best thing since sliced bread.

Rinse and repeat.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:51 am    Post subject:

There is no "young core". Getting a #26 rating seems about right. Not sure why this is even an issue for some. Lakers chose to lay in a different arena.

Having a couple of young players does not constitute a young core. Only Kuzma will even have a role on this team. The others are long shot G-League developmental players. Every team has those "potential" guys sitting on the end of the bench.

Lakers are a vet team chasing a ring for the next couple seasons. For the foreseeable future they have embraced a continual free agency cycle not a development team strategy.

Current group will get minimal mpg. Draft picks will be late round hopefuls at best. Lakers will annually fill in the roster spots with vets on min contracts. The "young core" plan is dead. Get used to it. I still am resisting but reality is setting in, still working on acceptance though.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:52 am    Post subject:

defense wrote:
Remember the good old days when we used to compete for championships and no one cared about "young cores".

That's actually right now. Except for Kuz, who's expected to contribute consistently, whatever we get from the young guys is a bonus.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:53 am    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
There is no "young core". Getting a #26 rating seems about right. Not sure why this is even an issue for some. Lakers chose to lay in a different arena.

Having a couple of young players does not constitute a young core. Only Kuzma will even have a role on this team. The others are long shot G-League developmental players. Every team has those "potential" guys sitting on the end of the bench.

Lakers are a vet team chasing a ring for the next couple seasons. For the foreseeable future they have embraced a continual free agency cycle not a development team strategy.

Current group will get minimal mpg. Draft picks will be late round hopefuls at best. Lakers will annually fill in the roster spots with vets on min contracts. The "young core" plan is dead. Get used to it. I still am resisting but reality is setting in, still working on acceptance though.

I think the issue is their off assessment of Kuz. He is not a back end rotation player. He may not be an all star or even a starter, but he's not playing a 9/10th man rotation spot either.
LAL1947
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:54 am    Post subject:

PRLakeShow wrote:

This.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:07 am    Post subject:

blackmamba08 wrote:
Who give a (bleep) about the young anymore. Some people have to realize we are done with youth. Thats history. Now its time to play for chips.

Seems like people have already forgotten we're one of the teams at the top of the list projected to win a championship this season.

That's the list of teams we should be concerned with. Not the freakin' Pelicans and Grizzlies.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:28 am    Post subject:

numero-ocho wrote:
blackmamba08 wrote:

Seems like people have already forgotten we're one of the teams at the top of the list projected to win a championship this season.

That's the list of teams we should be concerned with. Not the freakin' Pelicans and Grizzlies.

I do think it's funny to point out that they were perceived anywhere from busts to nothing special when they were here, but now BI and Zo are back to considered top prospects.

Anyway, we're hunting rings again.
Staccatos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: Lakers’ New Young Core

pio2u wrote:
Lakers’ Young Core Among Worst in NBA After Trades Says Analyst
Thoughts ...... "yes, no, maybe"

Quote:

*Kostas Antetokounmpo - 21
*Talen Horton-Tucker - 18
*Kyle Kuzma - 24
*Zach Norvell - 21

Quote:
#26. Los Angeles Lakers
WAR: 6.0 | Best Under-25 Player: Kyle Kuzma (4.0)

The CARMELO system doesn’t love Kuzma, the only young Laker of note after L.A.’s trade for Anthony Davis and subsequent trade to clear cap space.
The Lakers do love Kuzma—they refused to include him in the Davis deal—but in two seasons thus far, he’s profiled as an inefficient scorer and poor defender.
At least for now, that combination pushes him closer to a back-end rotation player than future core contributor.

* https://www.theringer.com/nba/2019/7/23/20703286/nba-young-core-rankings

* https://heavy.com/sports/2019/07/lakers-young-core-worst-trades-the-ringer/

I hear that the criteria to be an NBA analyst is to have an "anal cyst".
Luminous8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:30 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

Yeah,.. we all know I’m not a huge Kuz guy, but he’s absolutely a baller. He’s got his limitations as a player, but a guy who doesn’t necessarily have to have the ball to be effective as a scorer and can blow up and give you 40 on any given night is much more than an end of rotation player. Imo, it’s on the coaching staff to recognize his limitations and put him in positions to succeed instead of fail.
Luminous8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:30 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

Yeah,.. we all know I’m not a huge Kuz guy, but he’s absolutely a baller. He’s got his limitations as a player, but a guy who doesn’t necessarily have to have the ball to be effective as a scorer and can blow up and give you 40 on any given night is much more than an end of rotation player. Imo, it’s on the coaching staff to recognize his limitations and put him in positions to succeed instead of fail.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:44 am    Post subject:

Luminous8 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

I can agree that our youth movement is pretty much non-existent simply b/c we are in contention mode now.

But the way they analyzed Kuz is completely wrong and it's fair to call that out. I'm intrigued however to see how THT plays this year. I know Mike [AT] LG was big on him.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:06 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Luminous8 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

I can agree that our youth movement is pretty much non-existent simply b/c we are in contention mode now.

But the way they analyzed Kuz is completely wrong and it's fair to call that out. I'm intrigued however to see how THT plays this year. I know Mike [AT] LG was big on him.

I look at it as a different development objective. A classic youth movement is when you’re trying to build the top end of your team with high draft picks. I think we’re in more of a Spurs mode where we’re looking to develop cost controlled role players so we can manage our budget while spending handsomely at the top of the roster.

If you can pipeline guys in the eight to ten spots in your rotation, you can use resources to maximize elsewhere.

Handy, Penberthy, our SBL feeder system all make that a strength imo.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: