ESPN reports link Carmelo Anthony to Lakers
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Would Carmelo Anthony make the Lakers better?
No, he would be bad for team chemistry
33%
 33%  [ 35 ]
Yes, he still can score at a high level
15%
 15%  [ 16 ]
No, he is too much of a liability on defense
48%
 48%  [ 51 ]
Yes, we need more players with playoff experience
2%
 2%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 105

ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:08 am    Post subject:

If Melo thought his espn interview helped his image or chances of getting signed I think he’s mistaken. He ended up confirming the buzz around him and even the sacrifices he made he admitted to doing so reluctantly.
SmartBaller420
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:54 am    Post subject:

Cousins
Kuzma
Carmelo
KCP
Rondo

Best 2nd unit in the league, and even each of their backups can provide something different to the 2nd unit ie defense, shooting, playmaking

Kostas
Dudley
Caruso/Daniels
Cook

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:01 am    Post subject:

We need athletic, defensive wings... it's the area we are lacking. Green, KCP, Bradley are all good options but only Green has the size to play with PG and Kawhi. We should have gone after RHJ instead of one of the guards (take your pick between Rondo, Cook, Daniels, Caruso).

Our last roster spot has to go to Iggy if he becomes available.

However, had our roster been built with more of those players I mentioned we're lacking, I'd have NO problem with Melo in Dudley's spot at the end of the bench.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:26 am    Post subject:

Kuz working out w/ Carmelo

https://www.latimes.com/sports/lakers/story/2019-08-02/kyle-kuzma-carmelo-anthony-lakers-roster-uswnt
blackmamba08
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:31 am    Post subject:

I do not want him. He can still score I am sure and I do not think he would be bad for locker room. Lebron can handle that. My concern about his is his terrible defense and If you want to be contender that you cant have defensively awful players. Yes they can be average but they cant be terrible. Unfortunately Melo is horrific in that department.
blackmamba08
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:32 am    Post subject:

I do not want him. He can still score I am sure and I do not think he would be bad for locker room. Lebron can handle that.
My concern about his is his terrible defense and If you want to be contender that you cant have defensively awful players.
Yes they can be average but they cant be terrible. Unfortunately Melo is horrific in that department.

Last edited by blackmamba08 on Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:38 am; edited 1 time in total
Darth Los Angeles
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:35 am    Post subject:

I do not understand why people hate Melo so much... He and LeBron are basically the same except for Melo not being a team hopping front runner when the going gets tough. I have a lot of respect for Melo as a basketball player.

If Melo made a mistake, it was not signing with the Lakers when he had the opportunity. Going to New York was his only mistake. I cannot fault him for OKC and especially Houston.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:54 am    Post subject:

Darth Los Angeles wrote:
I do not understand why people hate Melo so much... He and LeBron are basically the same except for Melo not being a team hopping front runner when the going gets tough. I have a lot of respect for Melo as a basketball player.

If Melo made a mistake, it was not signing with the Lakers when he had the opportunity. Going to New York was his only mistake. I cannot fault him for OKC and especially Houston.

Nothing against Melo the person. Melo the player thinks he is still a 20 PPG guy and deserves the minutes when he is not. He needs to call up Vince Carter and pick his brain on how to graciously be on the end of the bench and help a team in practice, etc.

Lebron has dedicated and sacrificed to remain in top shape. Last year he was fat but that was an exception. The dude is a freak and his body is his #1 priority.

Part of what hurt Melo in his career is he was never about taking care of his body.
Darth Los Angeles
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:04 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
Darth Los Angeles wrote:

Nothing against Melo the person. Melo the player thinks he is still a 20 PPG guy and deserves the minutes when he is not. He needs to call up Vince Carter and pick his brain on how to graciously be on the end of the bench and help a team in practice, etc.

Lebron has dedicated and sacrificed to remain in top shape. Last year he was fat but that was an exception. The dude is a freak and his body is his #1 priority.

Part of what hurt Melo in his career is he was never about taking care of his body.

I've never gotten from Melo that he wanted to be anything more than a scorer, rebounder, and "big shot maker". I am still trying to figure out where all these made up stories came from. I wouldn't be surprised if they actually started within LeBron's posse in order to shame Melo and also prop up LeBron.

Everyone can't be the best or a winner. Melo's career took the natural 50/50 organic route that most athletes experience. The difference between he and LeBron is that Melo hasn't been out in the front controlling the narrative and being a selfish prick. The treatment Melo is getting has to be coming from LeBron's way. Now I bet any amount of money that Melo will sign with the Lakers and the story will be all about how the Ohio Jesus redeemed Melo and showed him the way.

And as far as being in shape... I've never seen Melo in bad shape. Usually guys are hurt when they out of shape. Melo has been pretty healthy his entire career. I could be wrong, but I don't ever remember a back or knee issue (weight related ailments).
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:10 am    Post subject:

Darth Los Angeles wrote:

He and LeBron are the same? Oy. Hard to imagine you truly believe that.

Anyway, I don’t think anybody “hates” him. Strip him of his name and history and look at his profile. He’s a shoot-first wing with eyes that are bigger than his stomach. He has a bad attitude. He’s a bad defender. He’s not a playmaker. He’s a bad rebounder. Does this sound like the kind of player we need? We have plenty of shooting already. Our two biggest needs are a starting caliber playmaking guard and a defensive wing. He exacerbates our weaknesses while filling none of our holes. I understand he was a big deal many years ago but that player is gone.
Darth Los Angeles
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:24 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Darth Los Angeles wrote:

Anyway, I don’t think anybody “hates” him. Strip him of his name and history and look at his profile. He’s a shoot-first wing with eyes that are bigger than his stomach. He has a bad attitude. He’s a bad defender. He’s not a playmaker. He’s a bad rebounder. Does this sound like the kind of player we need? We have plenty of shooting already. Our two biggest needs are a starting caliber playmaking guard and a defensive wing. He exacerbates our weaknesses while filling none of our holes. I understand he was a big deal many years ago but that player is gone.

Has Melo every quit NBA Finals games?
Has Melo ever thrown teammates under the bus for an issue he created?
Has Melo shamed Cleveland twice and Miami once?
Has Melo ever stressed out teammates so bad that they develop blood clots?
Has Melo ever took to Twitter to shame a teammate for not fitting in only to lead to the player revealing he suffers from depression?
Has Melo ever pushed to have teammates traded?
Has Melo refused to develop a reliable half-court shot?
Has Melo refused to become a reliable free throw shooter?

What in the world has Melo done so horrible that LeBron hasn't done worse? All of this stuff with Melo sounds like an agenda that has gotten way out of hand.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:27 am    Post subject:

Darth Los Angeles wrote:
ocho wrote:
Darth Los Angeles wrote:

Has Melo ever took to Twitter to shame a teammate for not fitting
in only to lead to the player revealing he suffers from depression?

What in the world has Melo done so horrible that LeBron hasn't done worse? All of this stuff with Melo sounds like an agenda that has gotten way out of hand.

Oh ok so you’ve got LeBron issues. Cool. Implying they are on the same level is silly hatred. Melo at his very best wasn’t half the player LeBron was/is. There’s a very good reason every single team in the league has said no to Melo at the minimum. If you want to chalk that up to “narratives” and “agendas” have at it.
Darth Los Angeles
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:33 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Darth Los Angeles wrote:
ocho wrote:
Darth Los Angeles wrote:

Oh ok so you’ve got LeBron issues. Cool. Implying they are on the same level is silly hatred. Melo at his very best wasn’t half the player LeBron was/is. There’s a very good reason every single team in the league has said no to Melo at the minimum. If you want to chalk that up to “narratives” and “agendas” have at it.

No... What I am clearly asking is why do people hate Melo? It cannot have anything to do with his behavior or anything he done as a teammate. If you want to say that he can't play anymore, I need some type of proof because there is an entire NBA full of one-dimensional AAU scrubs getting paid big money right now.

I am not opposed to coming to the eventual conclusion that Melo is washed. But I see no evidence. All that I see is an agenda to shame his "basketball business" and prop up LeBron's. Their career is the same for me outside of LeBron ring chasing.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:41 am    Post subject:

Darth Los Angeles wrote:
ocho wrote:
Darth Los Angeles wrote:
ocho wrote:
Darth Los Angeles wrote:

No... What I am clearly asking is why do people hate Melo? It cannot have anything to do with his behavior or anything he done as a teammate. If you want to say that he can't play anymore, I need some type of proof because there is an entire NBA full of one-dimensional AAU scrubs getting paid big money right now.

I am not opposed to coming to the eventual conclusion that Melo is washed. But I see no evidence. All that I see is an agenda to shame his "basketball business" and prop up LeBron's. Their career is the same for me outside of LeBron ring chasing.

This doesn’t have anything to do with LeBron. Every team in the league is passing on Melo at the minimum and every team in the league would pay LeBron the max. There’s no comparison. Teams aren’t signing Melo because they don’t want a shoot-only scorer who can’t defend, pass, or rebound with a bad attitude on top. The Lakers are an example of a team who surrounded their stars with shooters who don’t still think it’s 2009. So while Melo is more talented than say, Talen Horton Tucker, one is a young player they hope to develop into a contributor for many years to come and the other is a headache who doesn’t help you on the court. That’s why one has a job and the other is on espn begging for one.
Darth Los Angeles
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:57 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Darth Los Angeles wrote:
ocho wrote:
Darth Los Angeles wrote:
ocho wrote:
Darth Los Angeles wrote:

This doesn’t have anything to do with LeBron. Every team in the league is passing on Melo at the minimum and every team in the league would pay LeBron the max. There’s no comparison. Teams aren’t signing Melo because they don’t want a shoot-only scorer who can’t defend, pass, or rebound with a bad attitude on top. The Lakers are an example of a team who surrounded their stars with shooters who don’t still think it’s 2009. So while Melo is more talented than say, Talen Horton Tucker, one is a young player they hope to develop into a contributor for many years to come and the other is a headache who doesn’t help you on the court. That’s why one has a job and the other is on espn begging for one.

This is where I am confused... I can handle the basketball criticism easily. No worries. But where does the bad attitude come from? And this is why I associated LeBron because his attitude and history is far worse than anything Melo has done.

Seems to me -- there is an agenda working against Melo linking the 2003 NBA Draft Class (LeBron/Wade/Bosh). Melo is the ugly duckling and is getting shamed for it. Classic bullying technique used by LeBron to control narratives. I am 100% certain Melo is a Laker now. He just needed to submit to the throne first.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:30 am    Post subject:

Quote:
This is where I am confused... I can handle the basketball criticism easily. No worries. But where does the bad attitude come from?

Quote:
I’ve even told ‘Melo this – scoring 30 meant too much to ‘Melo.

“It meant too much because he could have games where he had 20, 22 [points], we win the game and he’s mad. He might have 36 and he’s in there, you know, we lose the game and he’s in there picking everybody up. Scoring 30 meant too much, but I think now you look, fast forward the tape, and the reason why he’s not in the league because he’s still worthy, is he hasn’t mentally taken that step back to say, ‘OK, I’ll come in and play against back-ups. I’ll try to help the team out. I know I might not be able to close, but I just want to help.’ Well, he’s not there yet.”

There's a reason why these comments didn't shock anybody: they confirmed what we already knew. Even in Melo's hat-in-hand ESPN interview he talks about being a role player off the bench as something he's willing to do reluctantly (while still referring to himself as a star).

Even with all that said: if Melo could still produce on the court at a high level he'd have a job right now, attitude and all. But he can't. The Knicks and the Thunder and the Rockets have all tried and failed to make lemonade out of this lemon. He's a score-only wing who isn't that good at scoring and really bad at other things we need.
anth2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:47 am    Post subject:

Darth Los Angeles wrote:
ocho wrote:
Darth Los Angeles wrote:

Has Melo ever took to Twitter to shame a teammate for not fitting in only to lead to the player revealing he suffers from depression?

The #1 LG Lebron hater has spoken.
Roger O. Thornhill
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 12:08 pm    Post subject:

If only this were real
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 12:22 pm    Post subject:

This is actually kind of intriguing. I realize that the coveted “final roster spot” is being reserved for veteran leaders, specifically Andre Iguodala. So why not Carmelo Anthony? Same age. Same position.

Is Jared Dudley better than Carmelo Anthony?

Last edited by JUST-MING on Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Vin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 1:49 pm    Post subject:

Darth Los Angeles wrote:
ocho wrote:
Darth Los Angeles wrote:

That post is such a mess.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 2:43 pm    Post subject:

JUST-MING wrote:
This is actually kind of intriguing. I realize that the coveted “final roster spot” is being reserved for veteran leaders, specifically Andre Iguodala. So why not Carmelo Anthony? Same age. Same position. Is Jared Dudley better than Carmelo Anthony?

Take a hard look at the roster...

PG 6’1” Rajon Rondo (33)
PG 6’2” Quinn Cook (26)
PG 6’5” Alex Caruso (25)

SG 6’6” Danny Green (32)
SG 6’2” Avery Bradley (28)
SG 6’4” Troy Daniels (28)
SG 6’5” Kentavious Caldwell-Pope (26)
SG 6’5” Zach Norvell Jr. (21)
SG 6’4” Talen Horton-Tucker (18)

SF 6’8” Lebron James (34)
SF 6’7” Jared Dudley (34)

PF 6’10” Anthony Davis (26)
PF 6’9” Kyle Kuzma (24)
PF 6’11” Kostas Antetokounmpo (21)

C 7’0” Javale Mcgee (31)
C 6’11” Demarcus Cousins (29)

yes Dudley is better than Carmelo. solid defender. consistently better 3pt shooter, hopefully raises % from last year
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:12 pm    Post subject:

SmartBaller420 wrote:
Cousins
Kuzma
Carmelo
KCP
Rondo

Best 2nd unit in the league, and even each of their backups can provide something different to the 2nd unit ie defense, shooting, playmaking

Kostas
Dudley
Caruso/Daniels
Cook

Cousins is starting.
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:14 pm    Post subject:

Come on down Melo.
Hammett
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:33 pm    Post subject:

Turn off the lights.

No one home.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:39 pm    Post subject:

Melo and AI both have one thing in common, they both refused to accept that they could no longer do things in their 30's that came so easily when they were in the prime of their careers. This is why players like Iggy are wanted while Melo has a hard time finding a team.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8
Jump to: