ESPN reports link Carmelo Anthony to Lakers
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Would Carmelo Anthony make the Lakers better?
No, he would be bad for team chemistry
33%
 33%  [ 35 ]
Yes, he still can score at a high level
15%
 15%  [ 16 ]
No, he is too much of a liability on defense
48%
 48%  [ 51 ]
Yes, we need more players with playoff experience
2%
 2%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 105

DLaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 4:26 pm    Post subject:

I won’t be pissed if the Lakers sign Carmelo even though Faried would be my first choice. Only way I will accept Carmelo is if he agree that he will be use as a bench player. If he is getting burned on def or if he offensively is not on that day he will get pulled out for somebody else. He will have to earn his minutes just like everybody else.
Darth Los Angeles
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 4:40 pm    Post subject:

If the narrative is Melo being a chucker who adds little value elsewhere -- how is this any different than Kuzma? I'd rather have Melo.
cal1piggy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 4:45 pm    Post subject:

no way, save the spot for zaza!
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 5:43 pm    Post subject:

Darth Los Angeles wrote:
If the narrative is Melo being a chucker who adds little value elsewhere -- how is this any different than Kuzma? I'd rather have Melo.

Because Kuzma is younger, willing to give up his game to accommodate the offense, easier to fit him in, less of an ego, faster, tries on defense... With all that being said, I would sign Melo.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 6:29 pm    Post subject:

Darth Los Angeles wrote:

You would be the only one....There were NBA GM's that wanted to acquire Kuzma in a trade.....nobody even wants Melo right now as a free agent.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 6:29 pm    Post subject:

Darth Los Angeles wrote:
I do not understand why people hate Melo so much... He and LeBron are basically the same except for Melo not being a team hopping front runner when the going gets tough. I have a lot of respect for Melo as a basketball player.

If Melo made a mistake, it was not signing with the Lakers when he had the opportunity. Going to New York was his only mistake. I cannot fault him for OKC and especially Houston.

LeBron is a top 10 all-time player. Carmelo isn't even on Paul Pierce's level.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Darth Los Angeles
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:01 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
Darth Los Angeles wrote:
I do not understand why people hate Melo so much... He and LeBron are basically the same except for Melo not being a team hopping front runner when the going gets tough. I have a lot of respect for Melo as a basketball player.

If Melo made a mistake, it was not signing with the Lakers when he had the opportunity. Going to New York was his only mistake. I cannot fault him for OKC and especially Houston.

Both of those claims are debatable... LeBron doesn't have a top ten skill set. But that's not the point.

Paul Pierce was on the brink of traveling Melo's same path until Ainge traded the #5 pick for Ray Allen and Al Jefferson for Kevin Garnett. Not to mention Doc Rivers was about to get fired. Pierce had his career saved and it changed his perception.

The same could have happened for Melo because he's a better player.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:22 pm    Post subject:

Darth Los Angeles wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
Darth Los Angeles wrote:

Both of those claims are debatable... LeBron doesn't have a top ten skill set. But that's not the point.

Paul Pierce was on the brink of traveling Melo's same path until Ainge traded the #5 pick for Ray Allen and Al Jefferson for Kevin Garnett. Not to mention Doc Rivers was about to get fired. Pierce had his career saved and it changed his perception.

His last TWO destinations paired him with TWO sets of star teammates. Both teams parted ways with him about as quickly as they could. .
Darth Los Angeles
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:28 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Darth Los Angeles wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
Darth Los Angeles wrote:

His last TWO destinations paired him with TWO sets of star teammates. Both teams parted ways with him about as quickly as they could. .

Russell Westbrook could possibly be the most irresponsible point guard in NBA history.

James Harden just got a top 10 first ballot HOF player traded for the most irresponsible point guard in NBA history.

Come on now...
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:35 pm    Post subject:

At his peak, Carmelo was overrated and largely ineffective. He had the good fortune of peaking just before analytics came into vogue. People looked at his scoring average and assumed that he must be a good player. He also had the good fortune of hooking up with James Dolan, who may have actually perceived him to be a bona fide superstar.

His peak was a long time ago, and today we have analytics.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:25 pm    Post subject:

Peak Melo was in a Denver Nugget uniform. Even then nobody thought he was better than Kobe or Lebron. What you are getting now with Melo post-injuries is somebody who is struggling to find a place in the new NBA.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:50 pm    Post subject:

Darth Los Angeles wrote:
ocho wrote:
Darth Los Angeles wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
Darth Los Angeles wrote:

Russell Westbrook could possibly be the most irresponsible point guard in NBA history.

James Harden just got a top 10 first ballot HOF player traded for the most irresponsible point guard in NBA history.

Come on now...

Chris Paul is top 10 of what? You don't mean all time, do you?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:56 pm    Post subject:

CP3 looked much worse than I’ve ever seen him look. Father Time seems to have caught up with him too. I would rather have Westbrook at this point and I’m not a big fan of him.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:25 pm    Post subject:

Darth Los Angeles wrote:

Let me get this straight. You wished Lebron never came to LA, but you’d want Melo on this team?
TrueLies
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:46 pm    Post subject:

Yes, then we can complete our team of hasbeens
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:47 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Has Melo ever stressed out teammates so bad that they develop blood clots?

Yeah making the Finals 4 times and winning it twice will be more stressful than missing the playoffs with Melo on the Knicks. At least with Melo there was nothing to be stressed about because the Knicks were always going to stink in a weak conference.

Btw, OKC won 47 games without Melo, 48 with him and 49 after he left. Did Cleveland and Miami won 1 more game after Lebron left?

Quote:
Has Melo shamed Cleveland twice and Miami once?

Lebron shamed them after winning them rings, Melo shamed the Knicks, Thunder and Rockets when he was playing for them.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:54 pm    Post subject:

Darth Los Angeles wrote:

They both don't D, but one of them has an offense that's budding and a little more consistent and over a decade younger. This is probably why NBA teams don't take fan's opinions seriously.
Stumpy25
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:29 pm    Post subject:

People that want Melo on the Lakers want to destroy the Lakers. Melo is a cancer please keep him far away.
Sssmush
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:55 pm    Post subject:

I am really feeling the full court pressure of "Melo to the Lakers" everywhere constantly right now, his agency is clearly leaking and pushing this hard and obviously espn and stephen A are having fun with it as well, etc etc

anyhow... while previously I thought he'd be a good addition and blend well with Lebron, the amount of pressure and ego on display just during this media campaign makes me think it's not going to be a good idea. I mean just the passive aggressive way this is being done is weird.

For instance he could have (and I'm sure did) reach out to Pelinka to quietly express interest, and likewise he I'm sure contacted Lebron as well. However since apparently the Lakers decided to pass, now the strategy has shifted to a media campaign to drum up fan support for Melo (as well as a weird kind of kapernick unfairness angle) to basically try and force his way onto the team, which I'm sure looks like a perfect spot to him right now. But if we are already in media meltdown mode and he's not even signed yet.... I mean this just seems like a problem
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:01 am    Post subject:

Darth Los Angeles wrote:

The team isn’t going to dump Kuzma if Melo gets picked up. Doesn’t make sense to pick up a 35 year old chucker if you have a 24 year old chucker. At least the 24 year old still has some upside.

The team isn’t picking between Kuzma and Carmelo. The question is if you want to have Kuzma AND Carmelo, or just Kuzma.
Moses
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:02 am    Post subject:

I think he’s been humbled somewhat over the last year, because he definitely has the talent to be on a roster and the only reason he doesn’t is because he can’t seem to accept the role that he should probably have at this point.

I’d see him get a shot somewhere so he can have a chance to prove his doubters wrong. If it’s here then cool, if not then whatever.

I think him working out with Kuz is cool too.

Mamba Forever
The Marathon Continues
Still I Rise
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 2:14 am    Post subject:

Darth Los Angeles wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
Darth Los Angeles wrote:

The only player in NBA history to be top 10 in both scoring and assists, but he "doesn't have a top 10 skill set"

That's a pretty willful self-delusion, to say the least.
Vin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 3:23 am    Post subject:

Darth Los Angeles wrote:

So by your logic why would we need Melo if we have Kuzma and Kuzma isn't going anywhere ? Honestly I find your posts make very little sense.
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 3:28 am    Post subject:

I have never been a fan of Melo. That being said, I really do not see the risk in his signing. LJ will surely keep his good friend in check. In a recent workout video he looks in shape and was nailing every shot. We are most likely not getting Iggy or Crowder as it does not look like they will be bought out. Melo did not look good in the small amount of games he played for Houston (and I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt that it was a result of system fit). Before that (even with OKC), he was fine. The difference is he will (for the 1st time in his career) now be predominately be playing against bench guys. I think he would flourish in this role (assuming he is accepting). He has to much respect for LJ to come here and be a cancer. He is only 6 months older than LJ. For these reasons, I think he could be potentially be a good signing.
M2K
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 3:30 am    Post subject:

We need a player to defensively hound Leonard and/or George. Carmelo Anthony doesn't bring anything near that description to the table.

If Melo comes aboard, its pure name recognition without the value needed to help this team win a Championship.

I'd rather go with a young, hungry, defensive minded player or a veteran that can play defense.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8
Jump to: