ESPN reports link Carmelo Anthony to Lakers
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Would Carmelo Anthony make the Lakers better?
No, he would be bad for team chemistry
33%
 33%  [ 35 ]
Yes, he still can score at a high level
15%
 15%  [ 16 ]
No, he is too much of a liability on defense
48%
 48%  [ 51 ]
Yes, we need more players with playoff experience
2%
 2%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 105

M2K
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 3:30 am    Post subject:

We need a player to defensively hound Leonard and/or George. Carmelo Anthony doesn't bring anything near that description to the table.

If Melo comes aboard, its pure name recognition without the value needed to help this team win a Championship.

I'd rather go with a young, hungry, defensive minded player or a veteran that can play defense.
Vin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 3:33 am    Post subject:

M2K wrote:
We need a player to defensively hound Leonard and/or George. Carmelo Anthony doesn't bring anything near that description to the table.

If Melo comes aboard, its pure name recognition without the value needed to help this team win a Championship.

I'd rather go with a young, hungry, defensive minded player or a veteran that can play defense.

Yes 100%.
DLaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 6:23 am    Post subject:

M2K wrote:

Just wondering how valuable is Lou coming from the bench. If used properly Melo can still be useful, but just need to know his role. If he is willing to accept his bench role that on nights where he is negative influence on the court he will be replaced. Still like Faried for the last spot though .
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:47 am    Post subject:

Vin wrote:
M2K wrote:

Yes 100%.

I prefer they show some patience to see if a much better option gets waived or bought out at the beginning of the season. Melo is a bad option IMO.

Anyone know the story on Jonathan Simmons. Still available. Just a couple years ago he had a nice promising stretch with San Antonio. Bounced around since. Why?
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:15 am    Post subject:

Darth Los Angeles wrote:
ocho wrote:
Darth Los Angeles wrote:
ocho wrote:
Darth Los Angeles wrote:
ocho wrote:
Darth Los Angeles wrote:
I do not understand why people hate Melo so much... He and LeBron are basically the same except for Melo not being a team hopping front runner when the going gets tough. I have a lot of respect for Melo as a basketball player.

If Melo made a mistake, it was not signing with the Lakers when he had the opportunity. Going to New York was his only mistake. I cannot fault him for OKC and especially Houston.

He and LeBron are the same? Oy. Hard to imagine you truly believe that.

Anyway, I don’t think anybody “hates” him. Strip him of his name and history and look at his profile. He’s a shoot-first wing with eyes that are bigger than his stomach. He has a bad attitude. He’s a bad defender. He’s not a playmaker. He’s a bad rebounder. Does this sound like the kind of player we need? We have plenty of shooting already. Our two biggest needs are a starting caliber playmaking guard and a defensive wing. He exacerbates our weaknesses while filling none of our holes. I understand he was a big deal many years ago but that player is gone.

Has Melo every quit NBA Finals games?
Has Melo ever thrown teammates under the bus for an issue he created?
Has Melo shamed Cleveland twice and Miami once?
Has Melo ever stressed out teammates so bad that they develop blood clots?
Has Melo ever took to Twitter to shame a teammate for not fitting
in only to lead to the player revealing he suffers from depression?
Has Melo ever pushed to have teammates traded?
Has Melo refused to develop a reliable half-court shot?
Has Melo refused to become a reliable free throw shooter?

What in the world has Melo done so horrible that LeBron hasn't done worse? All of this stuff with Melo sounds like an agenda that has gotten way out of hand.

Oh ok so you’ve got LeBron issues. Cool. Implying they are on the same level is silly hatred. Melo at his very best wasn’t half the player LeBron was/is. There’s a very good reason every single team in the league has said no to Melo at the minimum. If you want to chalk that up to “narratives” and “agendas” have at it.

No... What I am clearly asking is why do people hate Melo? It cannot have anything to do with his behavior or anything he done as a teammate. If you want to say that he can't play anymore, I need some type of proof because there is an entire NBA full of one-dimensional AAU scrubs getting paid big money right now.

I am not opposed to coming to the eventual conclusion that Melo is washed. But I see no evidence. All that I see is an agenda to shame his "basketball business" and prop up LeBron's. Their career is the same for me outside of LeBron ring chasing.

This doesn’t have anything to do with LeBron. Every team in the league is passing on Melo at the minimum and every team in the league would pay LeBron the max. There’s no comparison. Teams aren’t signing Melo because they don’t want a shoot-only scorer who can’t defend, pass, or rebound with a bad attitude on top. The Lakers are an example of a team who surrounded their stars with shooters who don’t still think it’s 2009. So while Melo is more talented than say, Talen Horton Tucker, one is a young player they hope to develop into a contributor for many years to come and the other is a headache who doesn’t help you on the court. That’s why one has a job and the other is on espn begging for one.

This is where I am confused... I can handle the basketball criticism easily. No worries. But where does the bad attitude come from? And this is why I associated LeBron because his attitude and history is far worse than anything Melo has done.

Seems to me -- there is an agenda working against Melo linking the 2003 NBA Draft Class (LeBron/Wade/Bosh). Melo is the ugly duckling and is getting shamed for it. Classic bullying technique used by LeBron to control narratives. I am 100% certain Melo is a Laker now. He just needed to submit to the throne first.

Can you actually prove this bizarre conspiracy theory or is it just a funny feeling in your [deranged] tummy?
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:24 am    Post subject:

Some people are living in fairy tale land on Melo.

His last three teams couldn't get rid of him fast enough.

He's a lousy shooter these days.

He does NOTHING else beside shooting that adds value to an NBA team.

Huge liability on defense, in transition, and, well, just about everywhere else.

The Lakers could use a blank roster spot for a decent wing defender like Iggy if the opportunity presents itself this season.

The Lakers have plenty of scorers, all far better than Carmelo.

NO other GM's expressed one iota of interest in Carmelo Anthony this season.

Carmelo may have playoff games under his belt, but not nearly as many playoff wins. He's better at losing playoff games where defense, coaching, and proper execution matters.

He's got a fork sticking out of his back the size of King Kong's dick.

Yet somehow we have a poster or two here thinking we should sign him. And yet another thread.

At this stage I'd rank Travis Wear over Carmelo Anthony.
tkLAKERS
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:46 am    Post subject:

Hard pass on Melo.

There are better options out there. Hopefully we get a good defensive wing for the last spot.
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:44 am    Post subject:

Judah wrote:
Darth Los Angeles wrote:

This is where I am confused... I can handle the basketball criticism easily. No worries. But where does the bad attitude come from? And this is why I associated LeBron because his attitude and history is far worse than anything Melo has done.

Seems to me -- there is an agenda working against Melo linking the 2003 NBA Draft Class (LeBron/Wade/Bosh). Melo is the ugly duckling and is getting shamed for it. Classic bullying technique used by LeBron to control narratives. I am 100% certain Melo is a Laker now. He just needed to submit to the throne first.

Can you actually prove this bizarre conspiracy theory or is it just a funny feeling in your [deranged] tummy?

Lil Kylo LA has searched his feelings and knows this to be true.
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:27 pm    Post subject:

Vin wrote:
M2K wrote:

Yes 100%.

Melo wouldn't be starting.
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:34 pm    Post subject:

Outspoken wrote:
Vin wrote:
M2K wrote:

Yes 100%.

I guess what the guys are saying is, melo brings nothing useful to
our team. We’ve loaded up on scorers.

Maybe someone else for PG or KL to chase around? Maybe.
Sssmush
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:38 pm    Post subject:

Moses wrote:
I think he’s been humbled somewhat over the last year, because he definitely has the talent to be on a roster and the only reason he doesn’t is because he can’t seem to accept the role that he should probably have at this point.

I’d see him get a shot somewhere so he can have a chance to prove his doubters wrong. If it’s here then cool, if not then whatever.

I think him working out with Kuz is cool too.

Right, but the fallacy here is that what humble, 10th guy on the roster, bench role player gets a one hour exclusive interview with Stephen A Smith on the most watched sports news talk show and dominates the sports news cycle for a solid week on every outlet?

and how "humble" is someone who is trying to go AROUND the Lakers front office and have his agency drum up public suppport to try and force his way onto specifically the Lakers, NOW suddenly after all these years because they got Lebron and AD and look like title contenders and have the spotlight.

sorry I want to believe that Melo could contribute, and it's possible he could be great, but there are so many problems already and he's not even here.

the Lakers are already dealing with a "Carmelo controversy" as we speak and he's not even signed here!!!
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:47 pm    Post subject:

deal wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
Vin wrote:
M2K wrote:

Yes 100%.

Team defense. We have coaches to implement team defense, that's how it is gonna get done. There are not really any individual strong defensive players out there.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:52 pm    Post subject:

If Melo could hit catch and shoot 3s or make reads out of a pick and roll/handoff I would give him a chance. But Melo can't. So he's not worth considering. Even off the bench.
anth2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 2:59 pm    Post subject:

Carmelo 2010 maybe
Carmelo 2019 never!!

No one in their right mind should want this dude. I think some folks haven't watched the dude play in 10 years.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 3:16 pm    Post subject:

deal wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
Vin wrote:
M2K wrote:

Yes 100%.

It’s even worse than that. Melo would take shots away from the other scorers so he could hurt the offense and the defense. OKC and Houston didn’t win more with him.

What’s interesting is I don’t see anyone arguing that he might turn into Olympic Melo and some people still want him. There used to be people arguing that he might turn into that version of Melo in the NBA even though it never happened.
Darth Los Angeles
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 3:16 pm    Post subject:

Some of you guys needs to get off your high horses. From purely a basketball execution perspective -- Melo can do things in the half court that LeBron cannot. We can easily run offense through Melo for spurts when LeBron is tossing up his desperation garbage.

Melo is an elite and decisive scorer from either high post corner spot. We re-post him on kick outs and suck the opposing defense a foot or two off of their assignments to create weak side spacing. This is basically a poor man's way of spacing the floor. Something LeBron still cannot do. Kobe was deadly here and Melo is more than capable of applying the same principles.

Anyone thinking Melo cannot be successful in a role that is explained to him as being "what LeBron is not" essentially doesn't understand playoff basketball.

Exhibit A

Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 3:36 pm    Post subject:

Darth Los Angeles wrote:
Some of you guys needs to get off your high horses. From purely a basketball execution perspective -- Melo can do things in the half court that LeBron cannot. We can easily run offense through Melo for spurts when LeBron is tossing up his desperation garbage.

Melo is an elite and decisive scorer from either high post corner spot. We re-post him on kick outs and suck the opposing defense a foot or two off of their assignments to create weak side spacing. This is basically a poor man's way of spacing the floor. Something LeBron still cannot do. Kobe was deadly here and Melo is more than capable of applying the same principles.

Anyone thinking Melo cannot be successful in a role that is explained to him as being "what LeBron is not" essentially doesn't understand playoff basketball.

Exhibit A

Melo is no longer an elite anything. He's a fat old man now. Quite frankly, I'd rather have 42-year old Vince Carter than Melo. He's a role model on taking care of his body and staying prepared in a bench role.
LaLaLakeShow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 3:45 pm    Post subject:

Long time lurker here. 1st time poster
I could see Melo getting hot off the bench in limited minutes in the playoffs and helping steal a game or 2.
As long as we’re not leaning on him for any real stretch I don’t think it would be that bad having him on the back end of our rotation. But whatevs Lol
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 3:54 pm    Post subject:

Quote:

Melo shot 21% from 3 in his last playoff series, which was his first playoff appearance in 6 years. I get the impression that you maybe haven't seen much of Carmelo the last few years, especially if you believe he's an elite scorer or that it would behoove us to deploy a steady diet of posting him up. His last full season he was in the 43rd percentile for post ups and that number has been steadily declining for years. It's not 2009 anymore.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 3:55 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
Darth Los Angeles wrote:

Exhibit A

Melo is no longer an elite anything. He's a fat old man now.

yea.. I'm not necessarily against Melo being a rotation player in the NBA still - but he's no longer close to what he was.. at the moment he's a spot up shooter that can give you like 1 iso bucket every now and then.
Darth Los Angeles
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 4:10 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Quote:

Melo shot 21% from 3 in his last playoff series, which was his first playoff appearance in 6 years. I get the impression that you maybe haven't seen much of Carmelo the last few years, especially if you believe he's an elite scorer or that it would behoove us to deploy a steady diet of posting him up. His last full season he was in the 43rd percentile for post ups and that number has been steadily declining for years. It's not 2009 anymore.

It's like you didn't read my entire post or just cherry picked the part you wanted to discuss.

LeBron cannot score at will. Melo has the skill set to do this. It is not advisable to deploy Melo as the primary scorer. But what you can do is place him in controlled situations that are conducive to his skill set and current ability.

I am totally seeing a role for Melo. If Cousins isn't healthy, then Melo is our third best player. Some of you have serious delusions about this roster. We ain't that good.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 4:15 pm    Post subject:

Darth Los Angeles wrote:
ocho wrote:
Quote:

It's like you didn't read my entire post or just cherry picked the part you wanted to discuss.

LeBron cannot score at will. Melo has the skill set to do this. It is not advisable to deploy Melo as the primary scorer. But what you can do is place him in controlled situations that are conducive to his skill set and current ability.

I am totally seeing a role for Melo. If Cousins isn't healthy, then Melo is our third best player. Some of you have serious delusions about this roster. We ain't that good.

I think this is a different topic from whether Melo is good or not, my friend. If Melo was still capable of being the 3rd, or even 4th best player on any roster, he'd be on a roster.
Darth Los Angeles
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 4:17 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
Darth Los Angeles wrote:
ocho wrote:
Quote:

I think this is a different topic from whether Melo is good or not, my friend. If Melo was still capable of being the 3rd, or even 4th best player on any roster, he'd be on a roster.

Sure it is, I agree. However I am highlighting this point because we aren't good enough to be passing on Melo.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 4:31 pm    Post subject:

Darth Los Angeles wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
Darth Los Angeles wrote:
ocho wrote:
Quote:

Sure it is, I agree. However I am highlighting this point because we aren't good enough to be passing on Melo.

I don't think we're a bottom tier 3rd player - 8th player depth team.. I think we're middle of the pack in the league in that part of our rotation. There are plenty of teams with Dejuante Murray or Steven Adams or Thomas Bryant or Saric or Malik Monk or Isaac , as their 3rd best player...plenty more teams like that. So if Melo can be their 3rdish best player, why hasn't one out of half of the teams in the league signed him? it's because he's not that good my friend.. in fact, the league consensus seems to be he's not good pretty much at all, fringe rotation guy.
LakerFan1977
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:03 pm    Post subject:

M2K wrote:

I feel we could use a defensive player for the 2 and 3 defense assignments
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8
Jump to: