ESPN reports link Carmelo Anthony to Lakers
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Would Carmelo Anthony make the Lakers better?
No, he would be bad for team chemistry
33%
 33%  [ 35 ]
Yes, he still can score at a high level
15%
 15%  [ 16 ]
No, he is too much of a liability on defense
48%
 48%  [ 51 ]
Yes, we need more players with playoff experience
2%
 2%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 105

Darth Los Angeles
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:08 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
Darth Los Angeles wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
Darth Los Angeles wrote:
ocho wrote:
Quote:
Anyone thinking Melo cannot be successful in a role that is explained to him as being "what LeBron is not" essentially doesn't understand playoff basketball.

Melo shot 21% from 3 in his last playoff series, which was his first playoff appearance in 6 years. I get the impression that you maybe haven't seen much of Carmelo the last few years, especially if you believe he's an elite scorer or that it would behoove us to deploy a steady diet of posting him up. His last full season he was in the 43rd percentile for post ups and that number has been steadily declining for years. It's not 2009 anymore.

It's like you didn't read my entire post or just cherry picked the part you wanted to discuss.

LeBron cannot score at will. Melo has the skill set to do this. It is not advisable to deploy Melo as the primary scorer. But what you can do is place him in controlled situations that are conducive to his skill set and current ability.

I am totally seeing a role for Melo. If Cousins isn't healthy, then Melo is our third best player. Some of you have serious delusions about this roster. We ain't that good.

I think this is a different topic from whether Melo is good or not, my friend. If Melo was still capable of being the 3rd, or even 4th best player on any roster, he'd be on a roster.

Sure it is, I agree. However I am highlighting this point because we aren't good enough to be passing on Melo.

I don't think we're a bottom tier 3rd player - 8th player depth team.. I think we're middle of the pack in the league in that part of our rotation. There are plenty of teams with Dejuante Murray or Steven Adams or Thomas Bryant or Saric or Malik Monk or Isaac , as their 3rd best player...plenty more teams like that. So if Melo can be their 3rdish best player, why hasn't one out of half of the teams in the league signed him? it's because he's not that good my friend.. in fact, the league consensus seems to be he's not good pretty much at all, fringe rotation guy.

He hasn't been sign because he's being blackballed the same way Allen Iverson was. The same way Terrell Owens was.

It happens. But this has nothing to do with Melo's basketball ability.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:09 pm    Post subject:

Darth Los Angeles wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
Darth Los Angeles wrote:
ocho wrote:
Quote:
Anyone thinking Melo cannot be successful in a role that is explained to him as being "what LeBron is not" essentially doesn't understand playoff basketball.

Melo shot 21% from 3 in his last playoff series, which was his first playoff appearance in 6 years. I get the impression that you maybe haven't seen much of Carmelo the last few years, especially if you believe he's an elite scorer or that it would behoove us to deploy a steady diet of posting him up. His last full season he was in the 43rd percentile for post ups and that number has been steadily declining for years. It's not 2009 anymore.

It's like you didn't read my entire post or just cherry picked the part you wanted to discuss.

LeBron cannot score at will. Melo has the skill set to do this. It is not advisable to deploy Melo as the primary scorer. But what you can do is place him in controlled situations that are conducive to his skill set and current ability.

I am totally seeing a role for Melo. If Cousins isn't healthy, then Melo is our third best player. Some of you have serious delusions about this roster. We ain't that good.

I think this is a different topic from whether Melo is good or not, my friend. If Melo was still capable of being the 3rd, or even 4th best player on any roster, he'd be on a roster.

Sure it is, I agree. However I am highlighting this point because we aren't good enough to be passing on Melo.

Evidently every team in the league is good enough to pass on him.
Vin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:19 pm    Post subject:

Darth Los Angeles wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
Darth Los Angeles wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
Darth Los Angeles wrote:
ocho wrote:
Quote:

I don't think we're a bottom tier 3rd player - 8th player depth team.. I think we're middle of the pack in the league in that part of our rotation. There are plenty of teams with Dejuante Murray or Steven Adams or Thomas Bryant or Saric or Malik Monk or Isaac , as their 3rd best player...plenty more teams like that. So if Melo can be their 3rdish best player, why hasn't one out of half of the teams in the league signed him? it's because he's not that good my friend.. in fact, the league consensus seems to be he's not good pretty much at all, fringe rotation guy.

He hasn't been sign because he's being blackballed the same way Allen Iverson was. The same way Terrell Owens was.

Exactly the opposite. Advanced stats have killed Melo's career because they show he's a net negative while on the court.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:22 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
Darth Los Angeles wrote:
ocho wrote:
Quote:

Two playoff teams have learned their lesson now and clearly nobody is eager to be the third.
1hu2ren3dui4
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 6:05 pm    Post subject:

The Carmelo Anthony farewell tour seems like more of a distraction than its worth.
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 6:17 pm    Post subject:

Vin wrote:
Darth Los Angeles wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
Darth Los Angeles wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
Darth Los Angeles wrote:
ocho wrote:
Quote:

Exactly the opposite. Advanced stats have killed Melo's career because they show he's a net negative while on the court.

In all honesty the easiest thing to say is that they are being blackballed but imo the truth is all those guys had there share of drama and once nobody signed them anymore they were all well past there prime and not worth the locker room drama that would come with them being on your team.

pretty sure most teams would have signed any of those guys if they legitimately thought they would make them better, especially contenders. carmelo still is playing victim and not really owning up to anything still to this day.. if he went the vince carter route he'd probably be playing still.
TylersLakers
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 6:37 pm    Post subject:

I'd be okay with Melo as a mid-season signing but the following would have to happen:

1) Iggy gets traded to Houston, Clippers or another contending team. Eliminating him as an option.

2) Kuzma gets hurt or continues shooting like he did last season.

In that case, I would sign Melo. But not right now.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 6:51 pm    Post subject:

Darth Los Angeles wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
Darth Los Angeles wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
Darth Los Angeles wrote:
ocho wrote:
Quote:

If that were the case why did OKC and Houston give him a chance and then offloaded him the first chance they got....he's not very good in this era of the NBA.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 6:52 pm    Post subject:

1hu2ren3dui4 wrote:
The Carmelo Anthony farewell tour seems like more of a distraction than its worth.

We gave Kobe a farewell tour because he put in the years in our organization and got us banners...we owe nothing to Melo.
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 6:52 pm    Post subject:

TylersLakers wrote:
I'd be okay with Melo as a mid-season signing but the following would have to happen:

1) Iggy gets traded to Houston, Clippers or another contending team. Eliminating him as an option.

2) Kuzma gets hurt or continues shooting like he did last season.

In that case, I would sign Melo. But not right now.

Melo should just tattoo L on his forehead, he makes everyone worst. Anyway,
I think we have our fill of drama queens.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:11 pm    Post subject:

You know we're in the offseason dead zone when the board has more talk about Carmelo Freaking Anthony than anything else.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:29 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
You know we're in the offseason dead zone when the board has more talk about Carmelo Freaking Anthony than anything else.

Nothing new. Melo is just the latest washed up star du jour. Our fans (and other teams fans) have tried to talk themselves into the Iversons and Melos of the world. We had fans here begging for the return of Dwight Howard just a couple weeks ago. Names take a long time to burn out in fans' minds.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:49 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:

So true, but this is the sports dead period before the NFL starts and we only have the MLB to keep us busy.
anth2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:08 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
Darth Los Angeles wrote:
Some of you guys needs to get off your high horses. From purely a basketball execution perspective -- Melo can do things in the half court that LeBron cannot. We can easily run offense through Melo for spurts when LeBron is tossing up his desperation garbage.

Melo is an elite and decisive scorer from either high post corner spot. We re-post him on kick outs and suck the opposing defense a foot or two off of their assignments to create weak side spacing. This is basically a poor man's way of spacing the floor. Something LeBron still cannot do. Kobe was deadly here and Melo is more than capable of applying the same principles.

Exhibit A

Melo is no longer an elite anything. He's a fat old man now. Quite frankly, I'd rather have 42-year old Vince Carter than Melo. He's a role model on taking care of his body and staying prepared in a bench role.

Darth...first off you are totally wrong about Lebron, one of the absolute top players of all time. Period, no argument.

Then you call Carmelo "elite"? No, bro, he's not. He has sucked ass for years now. Selfish player who plays ISO ball and hasn't played a lick of defense for the past half decade.

As others have said, there are a lot of better options.

Going to Dwayne Wade's house and begging him to play is 100,000 times better option that dumb Carmelo.

He sucks.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:14 pm    Post subject:

Anybody who say Melo play on the Knicks would not want him on this Lakers team. Unfortunately, he hasn't really adapted his game to his limitations at his age which is why he has a hard time finding a new home. There is no blackballing him, he simply isn't worth the hassle if you saw him at his last two stops. Especially every year when new younger players with fresher legs come into the league.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:42 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

Nothing new. Melo is just the latest washed up star du jour. Our fans (and other teams fans) have tried to talk themselves into the Iversons and Melos of the world. We had fans here begging for the return of Dwight Howard just a couple weeks ago. Names take a long time to burn out in fans' minds.

As best I can tell, Marcus Banks isn’t playing in Big3 this year. The Doberman is only a couple years older than Carmelo. Do it, Kurt!
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:58 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
ocho wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

As best I can tell, Marcus Banks isn’t playing in Big3 this year. The Doberman is only a couple years older than Carmelo. Do it, Kurt!

Don't be surprised if we start to see threads pop up that sincerely explore the idea of signing Joe Johnson.
PinoyLBJFan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:23 pm    Post subject:

i still believe in Melo. If the lakers can't get Iggy, i hope they will consider Melo. Melo playing alongside LBJ and AD will get motivated and will bring out the best in him.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:05 pm    Post subject:

You play in Big3 when you realize your NBA career is over. I don't think Melo will go there until he comes to the realization of that. Lets look at some of the players in Big3 this year....Greg Oden, Amare Stoudamire, Chris Anderson, etc...
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:32 pm    Post subject:

PinoyLBJFan wrote:
i still believe in Melo. If the lakers can't get Iggy, i hope they will consider Melo. Melo playing alongside LBJ and AD will get motivated and will bring out the best in him.

In the event that Iggy gets bought out and we sign him (A++ scenario), who you waiving for Melo?

That's the reality of it. Someones gotta go.
Sssmush
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:28 am    Post subject:

Darth Los Angeles wrote:
Some of you guys needs to get off your high horses. From purely a basketball execution perspective -- Melo can do things in the half court that LeBron cannot. We can easily run offense through Melo for spurts when LeBron is tossing up his desperation garbage.

Melo is an elite and decisive scorer from either high post corner spot. We re-post him on kick outs and suck the opposing defense a foot or two off of their assignments to create weak side spacing. This is basically a poor man's way of spacing the floor. Something LeBron still cannot do. Kobe was deadly here and Melo is more than capable of applying the same principles.

Exhibit A

you make a strong argument dude, and the video helps.

I mean if Lebron wants Melo here then definitely we should sign him. Again I am slightly irritated by the media full court press on this (Lakers aren't a democracy after all) but I do agree with you that Carmelo would likely be a legit addition on offense and a useful weapon. So yeah if Lebron wants him
Vin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:25 am    Post subject:

Sssmush wrote:
Darth Los Angeles wrote:

Exhibit A

you make a strong argument dude, and the video helps.

A strong argument? That video is 3 years old. Check his recents stats and the player he is. If his name wasn't Melo nobody would care or want him.

Do you really think Melo would change his ways in his 16th season playing 10 minutes a night for the minimum?

Melo is the definition of washed up. He's a 40% shooter who doesn't move the ball and plays no defense. That's who he is, that's why he was dumped from OKC and the Rockets and that's why he struggles to make a roster in 2019.

Last edited by Vin on Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:26 am; edited 1 time in total
blackmamba08
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:25 am    Post subject:

NO for Melo. Simple as that. He can be Lebron's firend as much as he wants but stay away from Lakers.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:28 am    Post subject:

blackmamba08 wrote:
NO for Melo. Simple as that. He can be Lebron's firend as much as he wants but stay away from Lakers.

If Lebron really wanted Melo to be a Laker he'd already be one. He's been available since last November. AD told everyone at the press conference Rob was consulting with both of them on every move.
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:53 am    Post subject:

Darth Los Angeles wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
Darth Los Angeles wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
Darth Los Angeles wrote:
ocho wrote:
Quote:

Iverson had plenty of chances after he was cut, same with Melo. Did all 30 teams give him a shot? No. Did a couple take a shot and see that he didn't work as a bench player? Yup.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8
Jump to: