Is Andre Iquodala to Lakers the last addition?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:54 pm    Post subject:

ReaListik wrote:
activeverb wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
I've coveted Iggy on the Lakers since...when Kobe was here with Pau. I was hoping we could somehow trade Pau for him that summer when we got Dwight.

Yeah he's old and a bench role player, but I think he would complete our team so well.

Memphis has given no indication they are even considering buying him out, so if we do luck into him somehow I suspect it won't be until the season is well underway.

They are trying to hold out as long as they can because they don’t want him going to the Lakers. It’s like much of the league considers the Lakers to be Thanos and they’re all trying to do “whatever it takes” to keep the Lakers from adding more talent to win another title. Bizarre

That's just Laker fan paranoia. I can't imagine why Memphis, a rebuilding team that has no rivalry with us, cares what team Iggy goes to. They simply want to get a draft pick or two for him to help in their rebuilding rather than give him away for free.

Besides, for all we know, if Iggy becomes a free agent he'll sign with the Clippers or Rockets.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:59 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
2019 wrote:
activeverb wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
I've coveted Iggy on the Lakers since...when Kobe was here with Pau. I was hoping we could somehow trade Pau for him that summer when we got Dwight.

Yeah he's old and a bench role player, but I think he would complete our team so well.

Memphis has given no indication they are even considering buying him out, so if we do luck into him somehow I suspect it won't be until the season is well underway.

I don't mind him hanging in Memphis getting healthy so long as we get him in time for the playoffs.

But truth is that Memphis isn't getting overwhelmed by offers otherwise this would have been over by now.

Seems like he's headed toward a buyout at some point.

Iggy should have more value at the trade deadline than now. There will likely be at least one team thinking that he is the missing link and ready to deal picks/youth.

That's my thinking too. You have to assume some team will have an injury, or feel they need to make a big move, and at least throw a second round pick at them. No reason for Memphis not to wait.

I think they are doing the smart thing for themselves. They're basically taking the public attitude, "We will trade Iggy if we get a good offer; if not, we'll keep him around as a mentor for our young players."

Sucks for Iggy, but a guy getting $17 million doesn't have a right to expect to be just given the money for nothing.
ReaListik
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:25 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
ReaListik wrote:
activeverb wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

They are trying to hold out as long as they can because they don’t want him going to the Lakers. It’s like much of the league considers the Lakers to be Thanos and they’re all trying to do “whatever it takes” to keep the Lakers from adding more talent to win another title. Bizarre

That's just Laker fan paranoia. I can't imagine why Memphis, a rebuilding team that has no rivalry with us, cares what team Iggy goes to. They simply want to get a draft pick or two for him to help in their rebuilding rather than give him away for free.

Besides, for all we know, if Iggy becomes a free agent he'll sign with the Clippers or Rockets.

There is no evidence to support that it’s fan paranoia. It’s based on what’s happening. It gets out that he plans on being bought out and going to the Lakers. There has been no trade made as of yet with any team. Memphis is also not getting the door knocked down with trade offers. If they don’t want him their two options are to buy him out or keep him. They immediately started their sojourn to try to find a trade partner so that definitely suggests they would prefer not to have him. Yeah, sources are not to be 100% believed but there’s nothing so far that has come out to suggest that he doesn’t want to come to the Lakers and if they don’t want the guy then they can get rid of him by buying him out. You don’t get a trade for him now it will continue to get worse as time progresses. What’s the point of keeping a player you don’t want? Makes no sense.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:48 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
2019 wrote:
activeverb wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

I don't mind him hanging in Memphis getting healthy so long as we get him in time for the playoffs.

But truth is that Memphis isn't getting overwhelmed by offers otherwise this would have been over by now.

Seems like he's headed toward a buyout at some point.

Iggy should have more value at the trade deadline than now. There will likely be at least one team thinking that he is the missing link and ready to deal picks/youth.

That's my thinking too. You have to assume some team will have an injury, or feel they need to make a big move, and at least throw a second round pick at them. No reason for Memphis not to wait.

I think they are doing the smart thing for themselves. They're basically taking the public attitude, "We will trade Iggy if we get a good offer; if not, we'll keep him around as a mentor for our young players."

Sucks for Iggy, but a guy getting $17 million doesn't have a right to expect to be just given the money for nothing.

I agree in principle but does a FO without much experience and in the middle of a rebuild want to keep a disgruntled vet around?
Rek
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:53 pm    Post subject:

ReaListik wrote:
activeverb wrote:
ReaListik wrote:
activeverb wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

There is no evidence to support that it’s fan paranoia. It’s based on what’s happening. It gets out that he plans on being bought out and going to the Lakers. There has been no trade made as of yet with any team. Memphis is also not getting the door knocked down with trade offers. If they don’t want him their two options are to buy him out or keep him. They immediately started their sojourn to try to find a trade partner so that definitely suggests they would prefer not to have him. Yeah, sources are not to be 100% believed but there’s nothing so far that has come out to suggest that he doesn’t want to come to the Lakers and if they don’t want the guy then they can get rid of him by buying him out. You don’t get a trade for him now it will continue to get worse as time progresses. What’s the point of keeping a player you don’t want? Makes no sense.

I seriously doubt Memphis cares at all whether or not Iggy lands with the Lakers. It's not like such a result is the one thing preventing them from winning a title any time soon. Problem is that LA will need him to be waived first, which is likely what happens to him around the trade deadline if not sooner.

Memphis smartly got a frp for taking on his salary. Now they'll patiently wait to see if they can land yet another pick by sending him to another team. Ignoring his desire to be waived and holding out for a trade partner is the obvious play for a rebuilding team that can afford to take on undesirable contracts in return for future assets.

Not every decision in the league is based on the Lakers.
LaLaLakeShow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:34 pm    Post subject:

Rek wrote:

Not every decision in the league is based on the Lakers.

Incorrect! Lol
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:43 pm    Post subject:

ReaListik wrote:
]There is no evidence to support that it’s fan paranoia. It’s based on what’s happening. It gets out that he plans on being bought out and going to the Lakers.

We have no idea where he's going if he's bought out. Every team in the league will want him. Maybe he'd go to the Lakers, maybe he'd go somewhere else. We won't know until and unless it happens.

ReaListik wrote:
Memphis is also not getting the door knocked down with trade offers. If they don’t want him their two options are to buy him out or keep him.

Their other option is to wait to see if trade offers come. It's a long season. For example, the Clippers might not be willing to trade for him today. That could change if a key player has a season-ending injury.

ReaListik wrote:
You don’t get a trade for him now it will continue to get worse as time progresses.

Not necessarily. Who knows what offers might come at the trade deadline if a contending team has a big injury and feels they need Iggy to keep contending. But even a "bad" offer (like a low level second round pick) is better than letting him go for nothing.

ReaListik wrote:
What’s the point of keeping a player you don’t want? Makes no sense.

What's the point of simply giving away an asset for nothing that might have value in the future? I get why fans of teams that hope to get Iggy for nothing want him to be bought out.If you're a Memphis fan, I can't see why you'd want the team to do that.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:00 pm    Post subject:

2019 wrote:

I agree in principle but does a FO without much experience and in the middle of a rebuild want to keep a disgruntled vet around?

Iggy has been in the league 12 years and he's been traded three times,including by a team he won the finals MVP for, so he's been around the block. He's making $17 million. I think he's going to act like a professional.
waterman40
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:10 pm    Post subject:

Iggy would be a great asset, especially in the playoffs. But until he is either released or made available to us, there is not a whole lot to discuss.
anth2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:51 am    Post subject:

waterman40 wrote:
Iggy would be a great asset, especially in the playoffs. But until he is either released or made available to us, there is not a whole lot to discuss.

Can Iggy demand a buyout? I can't imagine he wants to play in Memphis.
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:24 am    Post subject:

anth2000 wrote:
waterman40 wrote:

Yes, he can demand a buyout.

A better question:

Will he be able to force Memphis to give him a buyout via some provision in the CBA?

No
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:50 pm    Post subject:

anth2000 wrote:
waterman40 wrote:

Iggy is under contract to Memphis. That means the Grizzles are required to pay him $17 million, and he's obligated to come to practice, games, etc.

A buyout simply means that both sides mutually agree to terminate the contract.

The key is "mutually." Both sides have to agree to the buyout, and both sides have to agree to the amount of the buyout.

So, sure, Iggy can "demand" a buyout. However, Memphis has the right to simply tell him "No". Teams ignore players demands all the time.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:10 pm    Post subject:

I think the odds of us getting Iggy are extremely low. Someone will give up an asset for him, something we lack. Our 15th spot will most likely be used on a buyout player.
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:36 pm    Post subject:

idk honestly.. with that huge contract size and him clearly a year or two from probably retiring i dont see a trade easily happening at all because the only teams that would even think about trading for him and give anything of worth away are legit contenders that see him being a final piece to push them over the top. how many of those teams have that much in salary to give back and still make it worth it while also giving up a pick which im sure is all memphis mostly wants. most trades i have seen people propose the other team is giving up legit rotational player(s) plus the pick.

maybe an injury or two happens and a team will send those players along with a pick to help try and save there season but even then iggy shouldn't really be playing a ton of regular season minutes at this stage.

i agree our chances of getting him are low but I don't see a trade happening very easily either.

i dont think there any contenders with 5+ mill in salary cap left? if so, i could possibly see him accepting a much larger buyout if he knew he would get much of it back but I don't see him just throwing a massive amount of money away on his final big contract to have a chance at a ring.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:43 pm    Post subject:

Teams likely won’t have difficulty coming up with the approximate $12.6 needed to trade for Iggy. We could do it after December but lack the draft picks to entice Memphis.
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:45 pm    Post subject:

hype wrote:
idk honestly.. with that huge contract size and him clearly a year or two from probably retiring i dont see a trade easily happening at all because the only teams that would even think about trading for him and give anything of worth away are legit contenders that see him being a final piece to push them over the top. how many of those teams have that much in salary to give back and still make it worth it while also giving up a pick which im sure is all memphis mostly wants. most trades i have seen people propose the other team is giving up legit rotational player(s) plus the pick.

maybe an injury or two happens and a team will send those players along with a pick to help try and save there season but even then iggy shouldn't really be playing a ton of regular season minutes at this stage.

i agree our chances of getting him are low but I don't see a trade happening very easily either.

i dont think there any contenders with 5+ mill in salary cap left? if so, i could possibly see him accepting a much larger buyout if he knew he would get much of it back but I don't see him just throwing a massive amount of money away on his final big contract to have a chance at a ring.

Courtney Lee + $3.6 million Cash for Iguodala is idoable.

Then Memphis waives Lee ($12,759670) rather than waive Iguodala ($17,185,185 - $2,6000,000 giveback). Even if Iguodala agrees to enough of a giveback to equalize his buyout to that of Lee, Memphis will still be ahead by making the trade with Dallas for the $3.6 million in Cash.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:21 pm    Post subject:

Bard207 wrote:
hype wrote:

Then Memphis waives Lee ($12,759670) rather than waive Iguodala ($17,185,185 - $2,6000,000 giveback). Even if Iguodala agrees to enough of a giveback to equalize his buyout to that of Lee, Memphis will still be ahead by making the trade with Dallas for the $3.6 million in Cash.

According to news reports, the Mavs have had an offer of Lee and a second round pick on the table for about a month but the Grizzles have turned them down because they feel they can do better.
ReaListik
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:36 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
ReaListik wrote:
]There is no evidence to support that it’s fan paranoia. It’s based on what’s happening. It gets out that he plans on being bought out and going to the Lakers.

We have no idea where he's going if he's bought out. Every team in the league will want him. Maybe he'd go to the Lakers, maybe he'd go somewhere else. We won't know until and unless it happens.

ReaListik wrote:
Memphis is also not getting the door knocked down with trade offers. If they don’t want him their two options are to buy him out or keep him.

Their other option is to wait to see if trade offers come. It's a long season. For example, the Clippers might not be willing to trade for him today. That could change if a key player has a season-ending injury.

ReaListik wrote:
You don’t get a trade for him now it will continue to get worse as time progresses.

Not necessarily. Who knows what offers might come at the trade deadline if a contending team has a big injury and feels they need Iggy to keep contending. But even a "bad" offer (like a low level second round pick) is better than letting him go for nothing.

ReaListik wrote:

What's the point of simply giving away an asset for nothing that might have value in the future? I get why fans of teams that hope to get Iggy for nothing want him to be bought out.If you're a Memphis fan, I can't see why you'd want the team to do that.

Time will prove one of us correct on this one.
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:54 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Bard207 wrote:
hype wrote:

According to news reports, the Mavs have had an offer of Lee and a second round pick on the table for about a month but the Grizzles have turned them down because they feel they can do better.

Okay.

The concept is still the same no matter if it is a pick or cash being included with Lee.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:19 pm    Post subject:

ReaListik wrote:
activeverb wrote:
ReaListik wrote:

ReaListik wrote:

ReaListik wrote:

ReaListik wrote:

Not really. Time will only tell us what the Grizzles do -- trade Iggy, buy him out, or keep him. Time won't tell us whether any decision they make was influenced in any way by the Lakers.
ReaListik
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:11 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
ReaListik wrote:
activeverb wrote:
ReaListik wrote:

ReaListik wrote:

ReaListik wrote:

ReaListik wrote:

Not really. Time will only tell us what the Grizzles do -- trade Iggy, buy him out, or keep him. Time won't tell us whether any decision they make was influenced in any way by the Lakers.

Keep telling yourself that
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:01 pm    Post subject:

ReaListik wrote:
activeverb wrote:
ReaListik wrote:

"Time will tell" followed by "Keep telling yourself that"!

I can only assume someone bought you "The Big Book of Non-response Cliches" for your birthday.

In that spirit, I will end with: "I know you are, but what am I?"

Boom. Drop mike. I'm out of here, baby
ReaListik
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:56 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
ReaListik wrote:
activeverb wrote:
ReaListik wrote:

I can only assume someone bought you "The Big Book of Non-response Cliches" for your birthday.

Keep patronizing like you do constantly.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:42 am    Post subject:

ReaListik wrote:
activeverb wrote:
ReaListik wrote:
activeverb wrote:
ReaListik wrote:

Keep patronizing like you do constantly.

You give me so much ammunition, it's hard to resist

Anyway, seriously, it's obvious to me you just want to express your opinion without discussing or defending it. Cool beans.
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:40 am    Post subject:

GSW had to give up a 1st rounder just to "dump" Iggy onto Memphis but now he's suddenly a hot asset worth a 1st rounder??
my guess is no teams follows through with a package that Memphis is stubbornly waiting on
it would then be up to Iggy to concede a good amount of salary for a buyout.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9
Jump to: