ESPN reports link Carmelo Anthony to Lakers
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Would Carmelo Anthony make the Lakers better?
No, he would be bad for team chemistry
33%
 33%  [ 35 ]
Yes, he still can score at a high level
15%
 15%  [ 16 ]
No, he is too much of a liability on defense
48%
 48%  [ 51 ]
Yes, we need more players with playoff experience
2%
 2%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 105

yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:56 am    Post subject:

Blackball? Nope.

Black hole? Yup.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:40 am    Post subject:

Hector the Pup wrote:
Darth Los Angeles wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
Darth Los Angeles wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
Darth Los Angeles wrote:
ocho wrote:
Quote:
Anyone thinking Melo cannot be successful in a role that is explained to him as being "what LeBron is not" essentially doesn't understand playoff basketball.

Melo shot 21% from 3 in his last playoff series, which was his first playoff appearance in 6 years. I get the impression that you maybe haven't seen much of Carmelo the last few years, especially if you believe he's an elite scorer or that it would behoove us to deploy a steady diet of posting him up. His last full season he was in the 43rd percentile for post ups and that number has been steadily declining for years. It's not 2009 anymore.

It's like you didn't read my entire post or just cherry picked the part you wanted to discuss.

LeBron cannot score at will. Melo has the skill set to do this. It is not advisable to deploy Melo as the primary scorer. But what you can do is place him in controlled situations that are conducive to his skill set and current ability.

I am totally seeing a role for Melo. If Cousins isn't healthy, then Melo is our third best player. Some of you have serious delusions about this roster. We ain't that good.

I think this is a different topic from whether Melo is good or not, my friend. If Melo was still capable of being the 3rd, or even 4th best player on any roster, he'd be on a roster.

Sure it is, I agree. However I am highlighting this point because we aren't good enough to be passing on Melo.

I don't think we're a bottom tier 3rd player - 8th player depth team.. I think we're middle of the pack in the league in that part of our rotation. There are plenty of teams with Dejuante Murray or Steven Adams or Thomas Bryant or Saric or Malik Monk or Isaac , as their 3rd best player...plenty more teams like that. So if Melo can be their 3rdish best player, why hasn't one out of half of the teams in the league signed him? it's because he's not that good my friend.. in fact, the league consensus seems to be he's not good pretty much at all, fringe rotation guy.

He hasn't been sign because he's being blackballed the same way Allen Iverson was. The same way Terrell Owens was.

It happens. But this has nothing to do with Melo's basketball ability.

Iverson had plenty of chances after he was cut, same with Melo. Did all 30 teams give him a shot? No. Did a couple take a shot and see that he didn't work as a bench player? Yup.

I bet a lot of washed up, shoot-only players with bad attitudes think they've been mysteriously "blackballed" once teams get tired of dealing with them. Anything to keep them from looking in the mirror.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:25 am    Post subject:

numero-ocho wrote:
blackmamba08 wrote:
NO for Melo. Simple as that. He can be Lebron's firend as much as he wants but stay away from Lakers.

If Lebron really wanted Melo to be a Laker he'd already be one. He's been available since last November. AD told everyone at the press conference Rob was consulting with both of them on every move.

So Lebron convinces AD, and AD convinces Rob who he knows he has by the balls? God that actually sounds plausible.
LaLaLakeShow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:00 am    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
numero-ocho wrote:
blackmamba08 wrote:
NO for Melo. Simple as that. He can be Lebron's firend as much as he wants but stay away from Lakers.

If Lebron really wanted Melo to be a Laker he'd already be one. He's been available since last November. AD told everyone at the press conference Rob was consulting with both of them on every move.

So Lebron convinces AD, and AD convinces Rob who he knows he has by the balls? God that actually sounds plausible.

For real. It’s a bit disheartening to realize that those who should be running the show, ultimately, aren’t. I don’t believe that’s how it has worked up in Oakland the last few years. Or in San Antonio the last 20. Or how it worked when the great Dr. Buss was in charge. Disappointing, to put it mildly.
Part of the reason I never could understand the media always saying Cleveland failed to get LeBron the help he needed when everyone knew Klutch was making all the moves, in the end. Smh.
Must be nice to have that level of protection from ESPN, who sets the national tone on topics like this, unfortunately
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:27 pm    Post subject:

Vin wrote:
Sssmush wrote:
Darth Los Angeles wrote:
Some of you guys needs to get off your high horses. From purely a basketball execution perspective -- Melo can do things in the half court that LeBron cannot. We can easily run offense through Melo for spurts when LeBron is tossing up his desperation garbage.

Melo is an elite and decisive scorer from either high post corner spot. We re-post him on kick outs and suck the opposing defense a foot or two off of their assignments to create weak side spacing. This is basically a poor man's way of spacing the floor. Something LeBron still cannot do. Kobe was deadly here and Melo is more than capable of applying the same principles.

Anyone thinking Melo cannot be successful in a role that is explained to him as being "what LeBron is not" essentially doesn't understand playoff basketball.

Exhibit A

you make a strong argument dude, and the video helps.

A strong argument? That video is 3 years old. Check his recents stats and the player he is. If his name wasn't Melo nobody would care or want him.

Do you really think Melo would change his ways in his 16th season playing 10 minutes a night for the minimum?

Melo is the definition of washed up. He's a 40% shooter who doesn't move the ball and plays no defense. That's who he is, that's why he was dumped from OKC and the Rockets and that's why he struggles to make a roster in 2019.

Melo sucks

This is a much better video. His major weaknesses on offense are too much to overlook and then when you add his defense, which “has the unique ability to make anybody look like an all-star” according to the video, it’s obvious he would hurt the team. Look at the numbers shown in the video during his time with the Rockets.

His defense is such a major weakness that teams will pick on him constantly. The Jazz did this so effectively when Melo was on the Thunder that OKC was forced into benching him.

As for Lebron throwing up desperation garbage, the video has plenty of examples of Melo doing that. The idea that anyone can convince him to only use his strengths and eliminate all the offensive weaknesses is lol. New York, OKC, and Houston all tried to get Melo to start taking better shots.
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:07 pm    Post subject:

Steve007 wrote:
Melo sucks

This is a much better video. His major weaknesses on offense are too much to overlook and then when you add his defense, which “has the unique ability to make anybody look like an all-star” according to the video, it’s obvious he would hurt the team. Look at the numbers shown in the video during his time with the Rockets.

Damn, Coach Nick was brutal to ol' Melo there.
PinoyLBJFan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:03 pm    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
PinoyLBJFan wrote:
i still believe in Melo. If the lakers can't get Iggy, i hope they will consider Melo. Melo playing alongside LBJ and AD will get motivated and will bring out the best in him.

In the event that Iggy gets bought out and we sign him (A++ scenario), who you waiving for Melo?

That's the reality of it. Someones gotta go.

None. I will only consider Melo IF we don't get Iggy.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:48 pm    Post subject:

Melo moves at a PF pace. But he's soft on the glass and on defense. If you try to move him to a more perimeter based position (SF) he can't catch and shoot 3s or play-make out of a pick and roll. Sad to say, because I liked him in his prime, but he's a tough fit on any roster nowadays.

His only + is his ability to create his own shot. Brow is below average compared to other superstars in that aspect. And D. Green refuses to take a contested 3. Even if it means he's invisible for quarters on end. But that 1 + for Melo, just isn't enough to sign him to this roster IMO. It's a shame he never figured out how to create for others.
Sssmush
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:46 am    Post subject:

Vin wrote:
Sssmush wrote:
Darth Los Angeles wrote:
Some of you guys needs to get off your high horses. From purely a basketball execution perspective -- Melo can do things in the half court that LeBron cannot. We can easily run offense through Melo for spurts when LeBron is tossing up his desperation garbage.

Melo is an elite and decisive scorer from either high post corner spot. We re-post him on kick outs and suck the opposing defense a foot or two off of their assignments to create weak side spacing. This is basically a poor man's way of spacing the floor. Something LeBron still cannot do. Kobe was deadly here and Melo is more than capable of applying the same principles.

Exhibit A

you make a strong argument dude, and the video helps.

A strong argument? That video is 3 years old. Check his recents stats and the player he is. If his name wasn't Melo nobody would care or want him.

Do you really think Melo would change his ways in his 16th season playing 10 minutes a night for the minimum?

Melo is the definition of washed up. He's a 40% shooter who doesn't move the ball and plays no defense. That's who he is, that's why he was dumped from OKC and the Rockets and that's why he struggles to make a roster in 2019.

yeah... I mean reading that post again it is wrong about or definitely overstates some things. And common sense tells us that Melo would be on a team if he had value. And we can see the playing the victim thing going on already now, the Melo controversy without him even being signed yet, essentially on First Take whinging that the Lakers haven't signed him yet and it's so perfect.

It's not incorrect though to think that Carmelo can get us some reliable iso buckets in the post when the offense is otherwise stagnant and you really need 2, 4, or 6 points. I mean as a targeted weapon that comes off the bench situationally to score a couple buckets that would not be bad. If you can post up Carmelo one on one in certain situations that would definitely be effective.

also Iggy has been injured a lot the past few years, ironically Melo is more durable and fresh at this point

it's super marginal though and this First Take interview stuff makes it even more marginal
ElginBaylor
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:22 am    Post subject:

I can't believe anyone is still considering Melo as an option. People (bleep) about Rondo, Melo is further down the other side of the hill than Rajon is.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:27 am    Post subject:

Sssmush wrote:

yeah... I mean reading that post again it is wrong about or definitely overstates some things. And common sense tells us that Melo would be on a team if he had value. And we can see the playing the victim thing going on already now, the Melo controversy without him even being signed yet, essentially on First Take whinging that the Lakers haven't signed him yet and it's so perfect.

It's not incorrect though to think that Carmelo can get us some reliable iso buckets in the post when the offense is otherwise stagnant and you really need 2, 4, or 6 points. I mean as a targeted weapon that comes off the bench situationally to score a couple buckets that would not be bad. If you can post up Carmelo one on one in certain situations that would definitely be effective.

also Iggy has been injured a lot the past few years, ironically Melo is more durable and fresh at this point

it's super marginal though and this First Take interview stuff makes it even more marginal

Actually it would be bad. You can’t just pretend that he has no weaknesses and that you can use his strengths to help the team. You’ll get some iso buckets with him, but you’ll also watch him chuck up bad shots, make the offense stagnant, and make opponents look like all-stars with his nonexistent defense.

The guy is pretty much uncoachable too and has shown that over and over throughout his career. It’s no surprise that he hasn’t won more. He was never a leader and never cared enough about winning.

Once reason Iggy gets injured more is he actually makes the playoffs and he has gotten injuries in those games. It’s easier for Melo to stay fresh and healthy when he only tries on one side of the ball.

Just look at what these coaches had to say about Melo.

The Truth About Why Carmelo Anthony Is Out Of The NBA ©
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:07 pm    Post subject:

Is there still a Melo following out there? The only reason I could see to sign him would be to appease your team's contingent of nut jobs.
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:31 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
Is there still a Melo following out there? The only reason I could see to sign him would be to appease your team's contingent of nut jobs.

Kylo Ren Los Angeles comes to mind.
JerryMagicKobe

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:56 pm    Post subject:

LandsbergerRules wrote:
greenfrog wrote:

leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:23 pm    Post subject:

Change the f'ing clickbait title that makes it sound like he signed.
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:37 pm    Post subject:

leor_77 wrote:

Lmboooooo
Darth Los Angeles
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:26 pm    Post subject:

LandsbergerRules wrote:
greenfrog wrote:

I don't disrespect you or anyone else. So I would appreciate if you did the same.
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:53 pm    Post subject:

Darth Los Angeles wrote:
LandsbergerRules wrote:
greenfrog wrote:

I don't disrespect you or anyone else. So I would appreciate if you did the same.

🤨
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:22 am    Post subject:

Quote:
USA Basketball managing director Jerry Colangelo said Thursday that he turned down Carmelo Anthony's request to play for Team USA in the FIBA Basketball World Cup.

According to SI.com's Chris Mannix, Colangelo said he felt it was time to move forward: "I love Carmelo. He made a great contribution. He was a very good international player. But for where we are and what we're doing, that conceivably could have been a distraction. I understand why the request was made. He's trying to reestablish himself. I think that has to be done in the [NBA]."

Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:14 am    Post subject:

Judah wrote:
leor_77 wrote:

Lmboooooo

The title is accurate. Likely just Melo's agent feeding BS to espn to try to drum up interest. Colangelo is right, he'd just be a distraction at this point.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:14 am    Post subject:

Darth Los Angeles wrote:
LandsbergerRules wrote:
greenfrog wrote:

::King James has left the chat::
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:15 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Blackball? Nope.

Black hole? Yup.

I’m sure there’s at least one, if not two...
70sdude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:06 am    Post subject:

An addition of Carmelo to the LAL would confirm a couple of my worst concerns about the franchise:

- that the front office is more concerned with marketing than talent. On this roster, why else prefer to add late career, slower players who don't shoot the three well to younger, quicker players ?

- that adding another Klutch Sports-targeted peg to their own playing board matters far too much to the Lakers compared to what a player might do on court for the Laker franchise.

I really get disgusted with the Lakers for even considering Carmelo Anthony.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:00 pm    Post subject:

The thing is; I don't think the Lakers are even considering Carmelo. I believe this is all media, with some prodding from Carmelo's agent.
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:04 am    Post subject:

70sdude wrote:
An addition of Carmelo to the LAL would confirm a couple of my worst concerns about the franchise:

- that the front office is more concerned with marketing than talent. On this roster, why else prefer to add late career, slower players who don't shoot the three well to younger, quicker players ?

- that adding another Klutch Sports-targeted peg to their own playing board matters far too much to the Lakers compared to what a player might do on court for the Laker franchise.

I really get disgusted with the Lakers for even considering Carmelo Anthony.

1) Why do you fear that when there literally isn't one single player on this roster who fits that description? Sometimes fear makes sense. But this one doesn't. It's just paranoia.

2) That is absurd. They went out and got a bonafide superstar because that was what they needed. They didn't aim for a Klutch client. They aimed for someone who was available and compliments LeBron tremendously on the court. The fact that AD is a Klutch client helped. Who else were they going to get instead if they didn't get AD? Did you think KD or Kawhi were coming? Trading for a superstar was their most realistic path to getting one after the season they just had.

3) So you're disgusted with them for doing something that they aren't even reportedly doing? That makes no sense. I don't understand the fans who assume that the media using something as a talking point is the same thing as said talking point being true. You're working yourself up because you've been duped by the media.

Last edited by Judah on Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8
Jump to: