Lakers promote Nina Hsieh to head athletic trainer
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:09 am    Post subject: Lakers promote Nina Hsieh to head athletic trainer

Quote:
According to a press release sent out by the team on Wednesday, Hsieh will be responsible for the “care, prevention and treatment of injuries to the players, as well as the emergency on-court procedures. Hsieh will work under director of sports performance Judy Seto, who served as the head physical therapist for the Lakers from 2011-2016. Hsieh also also spent quite some time working with the organization.

Prior to being named the team’s assistant athletic trainer in 2016—the same year Nuñez was promoted to head athletic trainer—Hsieh served as the head athletic trainer for the Lakers’ G League affiliate, the South Bay Lakers, for seven seasons. During that time, she was in charge of strength and conditioning programs, equipments and travel scheduling in addition to her day-to-day duties. Prior to that, Hsieh worked with UC Santa Barbara in the same role for the women’s basketball team (2004-08) and men’s soccer team (2010-11).

LINK
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:16 am    Post subject:

I know nothing about her but I'm going to celebrate this because I need something to cheer for. Go Nina!
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:25 am    Post subject:

Official Release:
https://www.nba.com/lakers/releases/190807-lakers-hire-nina-hsieh-head-trainer
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:12 am    Post subject:

Ziggy wrote:
I know nothing about her but I'm going to celebrate this because I need something to cheer for. Go Nina!

LG Quote of the Week!
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:30 am    Post subject:

Another in house hire. Time will tell if it's good or bad.
dabask11
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:42 am    Post subject:

https://www.nba.com/lakers/training-staff

The fact gunnar is still on the staff makes me less optimistic about this.
Super Mega Team
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:32 am    Post subject:

Judah wrote:

We don't need to question every single in house hire, do we? She's been here only since 2016 and the Defenders before that.

http://hhd.fullerton.edu/main/news/nina-hsieh.htm

https://www.linkedin.com/in/nina-h-500754171/

Quote:

Hsieh completed her studies in 2000 and landed an internship at NASA’s Kennedy Space Center where she focused on astronaut and staff member rehabilitation. She then entered the sports healthcare master’s program at the Arizona School of Health Sciences while serving as Assistant Athletic Trainer at Central Arizona College (2001-02) and Phoenix College (2002-03). In 2004, Hsieh joined the athletics department at UC Santa Barbara as Athletic Trainer for the women’s basketball team and later, the men’s soccer team. The Lakers took notice and signed her as Head Athletic Trainer for the Los Angeles D-Fenders in 2008, the Lakers’ NBA D-League affiliate. Hsieh saw the D-Fenders through seven season and two championship appearances before moving up to her current position.

PHILosophize
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:02 pm    Post subject:

crap
ElginBaylor
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:10 pm    Post subject:

Funny how some people automatically assume every bit of this type of news is a bad thing.
LAL1947
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:44 pm    Post subject:

dabask11 wrote:

Our entire "athletic" training staff looks unfit... literally and figuratively. What is their purpose anyway? Is it only to help manage injuries and recovery as well as to manage equipment? Because if they can't keep themselves looking somewhat fit, I don't know how they're supposed to help with "strength and conditioning" training for some of the world's finest athletes. Not saying they need to all have beach bodies... the brain is important too... but isn't being able to put into practise (on some level at least) what you teach or preach also an important requirement for "athletic training" jobs any more?

Anyway, I hope she got the job because she's good at what she does.
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:52 pm    Post subject:

Super Mega Team wrote:
Judah wrote:

We don't need to question every single in house hire, do we? She's been here only since 2016 and the Defenders before that.

http://hhd.fullerton.edu/main/news/nina-hsieh.htm

https://www.linkedin.com/in/nina-h-500754171/

Quote:

Hsieh completed her studies in 2000 and landed an internship at NASA’s Kennedy Space Center where she focused on astronaut and staff member rehabilitation. She then entered the sports healthcare master’s program at the Arizona School of Health Sciences while serving as Assistant Athletic Trainer at Central Arizona College (2001-02) and Phoenix College (2002-03). In 2004, Hsieh joined the athletics department at UC Santa Barbara as Athletic Trainer for the women’s basketball team and later, the men’s soccer team. The Lakers took notice and signed her as Head Athletic Trainer for the Los Angeles D-Fenders in 2008, the Lakers’ NBA D-League affiliate. Hsieh saw the D-Fenders through seven season and two championship appearances before moving up to her current position.

Considering how notorious the Lakers are for always going for in house hires instead of best available, sure we do. This approach has led to abject failure in the past, has it not? Nevertheless, this obviously doesn't mean she isn't cut out for the job. That's why I said time will tell. She could prove to be phenomenal. We don't know yet. But if it doesn't work out, the Lakers will get (and deserve) more criticism for their rigidness and nepotism. But history suggests they'd just do it all over again anyway because "comfortable" seems to be what's most important to them.

Last edited by Judah on Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Super Mega Team
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:53 pm    Post subject:

LAL1947 wrote:
dabask11 wrote:

Our entire "athletic" training staff looks unfit... literally and figuratively. What is their purpose anyway? Is it only to help manage injuries and recovery as well as to manage equipment? Because if they can't keep themselves looking somewhat fit, I don't know how they're supposed to help with "strength and conditioning" training for some of the world's finest athletes. Not saying they need to all have beach bodies... the brain is important too... but isn't being able to put into practise (on some level at least) what you teach or preach important for "athletic training" jobs any more?

Mike Mancias he seems to be doing just fine with one of the best athletes athletes regardless of sports of all time. What are your thoughts on how his fitness level matter now?

(Athletic Trainer & Athletic Performance Liaison)

https://weareladder.com/blogs/nmp/lebron-james-trainer

Quote:
Mike Mancias has been called LeBron James's "top secret" advantage, as the trainer has worked with James since the beginning of his career. Mancias shares many of the principles he uses with LeBron, including his 5 pillars of health: strength and conditioning, sports medicine, nutrition, recovery, and mental preparation.

He helped Michael Jordan make his come back to the NBA.

https://www.cleveland.com/cavs/2015/01/lebron_james_michael_jordan_mi.html

Quote:
It's not the first time for Mancias, either. He owes his career as an NBA trainer in no small part to the summer he spent helping train Michael Jordan for a comeback with the Washington Wizards in 2001.

"If he didn't have that (internship), he would've never gotten the Cleveland job. There is no doubt in my mind," said Tim Grover, famous in NBA circles for his 15 years spent as Jordan's personal trainer.

Grover hired Mancias as his first intern, and Jordan wrote Mancias a letter of recommendation following his 2001 summer comeback.

"That whole part, that whole internship, allowed him to understand what it is to deal with the elite, elite athlete, and how demanding it is, and how they think and how they work," Grover said.

Gunnar is 57 years old, what do you expect? He's in relatively good shape for his age.

Last edited by Super Mega Team on Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
LAL1947
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:58 pm    Post subject:

Super Mega Team wrote:
LAL1947 wrote:
dabask11 wrote:

Our entire "athletic" training staff looks unfit... literally and figuratively. What is their purpose anyway? Is it only to help manage injuries and recovery as well as to manage equipment? Because if they can't keep themselves looking somewhat fit, I don't know how they're supposed to help with "strength and conditioning" training for some of the world's finest athletes. Not saying they need to all have beach bodies... the brain is important too... but isn't being able to put into practise (on some level at least) what you teach or preach important for "athletic training" jobs any more?

Mike Mancias he seems to be doing just fine with one of the best athletes athletes regardless of sports of all time. What are your thoughts on how his fitness level matter now?

Quote:
Mike Mancias has been called LeBron James's "top secret" advantage, as the trainer has worked with James since the beginning of his career. Mancias shares many of the principles he uses with LeBron, including his 5 pillars of health: strength and conditioning, sports medicine, nutrition, recovery, and mental preparation.

Well, that's good to know! I wasn't aware he worked with LeGramps and MJ.

I did say the brain is important too (by which I meant their knowledge and application of medicine, nutrition, recovery, preparation is important too)... so I still think it's odd that none (except Gunnar, was going to add that in as an edit but you'd already replied and quoted me) look to be applying much conditioning to themselves. Seto's forte is supposed to be recovery and she's director of the department, so she can get a deserved pass too... but what about the rest? It's weird in the same way that it would be weird to see Lonzo giving shooting lessons or being hired to be a shooting coach.

Last edited by LAL1947 on Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:06 pm; edited 3 times in total
Super Mega Team
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:01 pm    Post subject:

LAL1947 wrote:
Super Mega Team wrote:
LAL1947 wrote:
dabask11 wrote:

Quote:

Well, that's good to know! I wasn't aware he worked with LeGramps.

Like I said, the brain is important too (by which I meant their knowledge about things like medicine, nutrition, recovery, preparation is important too)... so I still think it's kinda odd that none except Gunnar look to be applying any conditioning to themselves. Seto's forte is supposed to be recovery and she's director of the department, so she gets a deserved pass... but the rest?

He worked with Michael Jordan and learned from Tim Grover too (I edited my post above).

There's plenty of training staff who aren't in tip top shape.
DLaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:06 pm    Post subject:

LAL1947 wrote:
dabask11 wrote:

Our entire "athletic" training staff looks unfit... literally and figuratively. What is their purpose anyway? Is it only to help manage injuries and recovery as well as to manage equipment? Because if they can't keep themselves looking somewhat fit, I don't know how they're supposed to help with "strength and conditioning" training for some of the world's finest athletes. Not saying they need to all have beach bodies... the brain is important too... but isn't being able to put into practise (on some level at least) what you teach or preach also an important requirement for "athletic training" jobs any more?

Wow just Wow Joseph, you need to be fit to be a doctor why study when you need to be in the gym and pumping up.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:26 pm    Post subject:

You can’t tell how fit some of them are from those photos.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:33 pm    Post subject:

Gunnar Instagram page:

https://www.instagram.com/gunnarfitness/?hl=en

These trainers often seem to have their clients doing unusual stuff.
Super Mega Team
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:36 pm    Post subject:

Gunnar is controversial and unconventional. I’m not sure I’m a fan. He’s a training for celebrities to look good. I’m not sure if he’s different with athletes for functional strength or not.

The NFL trainers are the ones that are usually jacked.
K2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:47 pm    Post subject:

Been out for over a week and a half and suddenly Nina's been promoted to head trainer? Congratulations!

Well deserved, I'm glad that she's getting this opportunity. She's paid her dues and worked her way to the top since the days with the D-fenders.

Used to see her working with players to get ready prior to shoot-around back when she was assistant; hope she'll stay with the organization for many years to come. Congrats to Nina and the Hsieh family!
PartyMan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:59 pm    Post subject:

Super Mega Team wrote:
LAL1947 wrote:
Super Mega Team wrote:
LAL1947 wrote:
dabask11 wrote:

Quote:

Well, that's good to know! I wasn't aware he worked with LeGramps.

Like I said, the brain is important too (by which I meant their knowledge about things like medicine, nutrition, recovery, preparation is important too)... so I still think it's kinda odd that none except Gunnar look to be applying any conditioning to themselves. Seto's forte is supposed to be recovery and she's director of the department, so she gets a deserved pass... but the rest?

He worked with Michael Jordan and learned from Tim Grover too (I edited my post above).

There's plenty of training staff who aren't in tip top shape.

Is he a cooler, a closer, or a cleaner?
LAL1947
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:04 pm    Post subject:

DLaker wrote:
LAL1947 wrote:
dabask11 wrote:

Wow just Wow Joseph, you need to be fit to be a doctor why study when you need to be in the gym and pumping up.

Was not asking about the doctors listed at the bottom of the staff page or the massage therapist. Was asking about the peeps with an "Athletic", "Training" or "Performance" tag in their titles.

Anyway, I have since been informed that Gunnar is 57 and been in the biz for at least a decade (he's in shape for his age)... that Mike has worked with LeBron for awhile (can't argue with that on a resume)... not sure about Nina but I'm guessing her role is more to do with recovery/rehab/nutrition/equip/preparation type things rather than actual athletic training, plus she does have many years of experience in the team and I guess they know what she can provide.

Last edited by LAL1947 on Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:03 pm; edited 2 times in total
LaLaLakeShow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:02 pm    Post subject:

PHILosophize wrote:
crap

😂
ReaListik
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:04 pm    Post subject:

Not sure about this move
LaLaLakeShow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:09 pm    Post subject:

ReaListik wrote:
Not sure about this move

That all depends. What jersey number will she wear? Lol
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:28 am    Post subject:

PHILosophize wrote:
crap

Waiting for the Lakers Girls 2020 roster
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: