Frank Vogel Official Lakers Head Coach for 3-Years
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 73, 74, 75 ... 222, 223, 224  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Are you happy about Vogel becoming our coach?
No
12%
 12%  [ 62 ]
Yes
54%
 54%  [ 271 ]
Neutral
32%
 32%  [ 163 ]
Total Votes : 496

ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:23 am    Post subject:

Well well well.

Quote:
The Clippers are closing in on the hiring of Tyronn Lue as a top assistant to Coach Doc Rivers, league sources say

TheBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:30 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Well well well.

Quote:
The Clippers are closing in on the hiring of Tyronn Lue as a top assistant to Coach Doc Rivers, league sources say

On one end, it's a great move to bring in a coach with Lue's experience and success as an ASSISTANT.

On the other, why is he taking an assistant coach job? Has the market dictated that he's not head coach material at this time? I don't think that's necessarily the case, but it's kind of weird. But it also means I'm not losing sleep over not having him as our head coach, as much as that whole process itself was flawed and showed how dysfunctional our FO was. Two different things, though.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:31 am    Post subject:

TheBlackMamba wrote:
ocho wrote:
Well well well.

Quote:

On one end, it's a great move to bring in a coach with Lue's experience and success as an ASSISTANT.

On the other, why is he taking an assistant coach job? Has the market dictated that he's not head coach material at this time? I don't think that's necessarily the case, but it's kind of weird. But it also means I'm not losing sleep over not having him as our head coach, as much as that whole process itself was flawed and showed how dysfunctional our FO was. Two different things, though.

There are currently no head coaching jobs available, and taking the Clippers job doesn't preclude him from taking a HC job should one open.
TheBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:32 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
TheBlackMamba wrote:
ocho wrote:
Well well well.

Quote:

There are currently no head coaching jobs available, and taking the Clippers job doesn't preclude him from taking a HC job should one open.

There were jobs open, though, and they all passed on him.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:39 am    Post subject:

TheBlackMamba wrote:
ocho wrote:
TheBlackMamba wrote:
ocho wrote:
Well well well.

Quote:

Eh not really. Sacramento jumped on Luke while we were still talking to Ty and he appeared inevitable. Same with Phoenix. He wasn't going back to Cleveland. That leaves Memphis, which I don't think would appeal to him.

In any event, the decisions Rob and Kurt made have higher stakes now. They may have passed on the best guy AND strengthened their toughest opponent. The Clippers' coaching advantage over us just got stronger.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:44 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
TheBlackMamba wrote:
ocho wrote:
TheBlackMamba wrote:
ocho wrote:
Well well well.

Quote:

Eh not really. Sacramento jumped on Luke while we were still talking to Ty and he appeared inevitable. Same with Phoenix. He wasn't going back to Cleveland. That leaves Memphis, which I don't think would appeal to him.

In any event, the decisions Rob and Kurt made have higher stakes now. They may have passed on the best guy AND strengthened their toughest opponent. The Clippers' coaching advantage over us just got stronger.

Vogel/Phil Handy/Hollins/Kidd/ >>> Doc/Lue/Cassell/
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:57 am    Post subject:

Yay!
So when the clippers start off slow, we can hear the rumors of Lue wanting Doc's spot.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:58 am    Post subject:

I'm happy Lue climbed up the mountain, then went back down, and wants to climb all the way back up again.
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:29 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
TheBlackMamba wrote:
ocho wrote:
TheBlackMamba wrote:
ocho wrote:
Well well well.

Quote:

Not to mention that if Ty had been hired, Vogel would've been his lead assistant, which Vogel has since acknowledged himself. I'm excited about Vogel, but I would've loved that setup a lot more.

What sucks the most about this is that Ty is elite offensively. Clippers will already be top notch defensively, but now you throw in a coach who's elite on the other end where they have some question marks? Man. Also, do you think Lue's history as LeBron's coach might come in handy (no pun intended) during the playoffs if these two teams meet? I'd certainly say so. Clippers are killing it.

Meanwhile, we're stuck with archaic coaches like Jason Kidd and Lionel Hollins, who will be doing God knows what, and no offensive coordinator.
LVLAKERFAN
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:52 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Well well well.

Quote:

How many years? 3,4 or 5 guaranteed?
AD/MORRIS/DUDLEY
GASOL/HARRELL/TINKLE
Coachs:Vogel/Kidd
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:01 pm    Post subject:

LVLAKERFAN wrote:
ocho wrote:
Well well well.

Quote:

I would think it's likely a 1 year deal where he can sort of jump back in slowly (slower than being a HC).
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:42 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
LVLAKERFAN wrote:
ocho wrote:
Well well well.

Quote:

I would think it's likely a 1 year deal where he can sort of jump back in slowly (slower than being a HC).

I bet three years as the head coach of a contender doesn't seem so bad anymore...

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:46 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
LVLAKERFAN wrote:
ocho wrote:
Well well well.

Quote:

I bet three years as the head coach of a contender doesn't seem so bad anymore...

Man this summer seems like an eternity. Was AD already locked up when Lue turned down the Lakers?
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:51 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
ocho wrote:
TheBlackMamba wrote:
ocho wrote:
TheBlackMamba wrote:
ocho wrote:
Well well well.

Quote:

Exactly.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:56 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
I'm happy Lue climbed up the mountain, then went back down, and wants to climb all the way back up again.

Too prideful to take a 3 yr deal coaching Bron and "soon to come" AD. But not too prideful to be an assistant? Reality sunk in hard for him.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:58 pm    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Too prideful to take a 3 yr deal coaching Bron and "soon to come" AD. But not too prideful to be an assistant? Reality sunk in hard for him.

Maybe a way for him to rehab his value and claim credit if KL/Clips go far.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:58 pm    Post subject:

Outspoken wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
ocho wrote:
TheBlackMamba wrote:
ocho wrote:
TheBlackMamba wrote:
ocho wrote:
Well well well.

Quote:

Exactly.

Sure. Whatever helps.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:02 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Runway8 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Keeping busy on a contender while waiting for a HC vacancy to pop up.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:07 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Runway8 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Keeping busy on a contender while waiting for a HC vacancy to pop up.

Most likely. Get his name back out there. He was probably surprised given the coaching vacancies that he wasn't a big priority for those teams.
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:10 pm    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Pride? No, the problem was the Lakers lowballing him by offering a three year deal when the standard deal is five. Even the rookie cosch for the Cavs got five years. Lue has won a championship. Not to mention that they wanted to pick his staff for him... Vogel ended up being their guy because he succumbed to those things.

Even in hindsight I'd rather take this path if I was him. The Clippers will be really good and his name will be associated with their success, rebuilding his value and adding to his resume. This next year is just a pit stop.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:27 pm    Post subject:

Judah wrote:
Runway8 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Pride? No, the problem was the Lakers lowballing him by offering a three year deal when the standard deal is five. Even the rookie cosch for the Cavs got five years. Lue has won a championship. Not to mention that they wanted to pick his staff for him... Vogel ended up being their guy because he succumbed to those things.

Even in hindsight I'd rather take this path if I was him. The Clippers will be really good and his name will be associated with their success, rebuilding his value and adding to his resume. This next year is just a pit stop.

I don't think it was the 3 year thing as much as it was the combination of all of Rob and Kurt's lofty demands. A short deal, plus he doesn't get to pick his staff, plus he has to have Jason freaking Kidd looming over him. Only the desperate would agree to those terms.
K2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:28 pm    Post subject:

Seems it was a combination of the 3 year plus a free set of Jason Kidd 🔪🔪🔪 that did it.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:55 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Judah wrote:
Runway8 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

I don't think it was the 3 year thing as much as it was the combination of all of Rob and Kurt's lofty demands. A short deal, plus he doesn't get to pick his staff, plus he has to have Jason freaking Kidd looming over him. Only the desperate would agree to those terms.

What would make you more happy? Laker success, or Vogel failure?
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:19 pm    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:
ocho wrote:
Judah wrote:
Runway8 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Why would Vogel's failure make me happy?
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:46 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Runway8 wrote:
ocho wrote:
Judah wrote:
Runway8 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Why would Vogel's failure make me happy?

Cause u been crying about hiring him before it was even official
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 73, 74, 75 ... 222, 223, 224  Next
Page 74 of 224
Jump to: