**OFFICIAL** 2019 Fantasy Football Thread
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LakersChamps04
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:36 pm    Post subject: **OFFICIAL** 2019 Fantasy Football Thread

Do you feel that? Fantasy Football is back!! Can't wait for my draft. What's everyone's draft strategy? Have you already drafted? Is there a sleeper everyone should target? Thought I'd start this thread so we can talk about these things.
BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:17 pm    Post subject:

My league is adding keepers this year, so I am curious to know how people would approach it. Basically, no penalty since everyone has to keep one player from this year's team, and everyone loses their "first round pick" for that keeper. I am avoiding Gurley and Bell at their ADPs.
LakersChamps04
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:42 pm    Post subject:

BadGuy wrote:
My league is adding keepers this year, so I am curious to know how people would approach it. Basically, no penalty since everyone has to keep one player from this year's team, and everyone loses their "first round pick" for that keeper. I am avoiding Gurley and Bell at their ADPs.
one of the two leagues I'm playing in is actually implementing keepers too. I think I'm going to keep CMC and David Johnson. This will be the third year in a row I got DJ on my team. Really hoping this is the year with the new offense and all. I might take a flyer on Kyler Murray too. Just in case. I feel like the QB position is so deep this season. You can totally get away waiting late in the draft for a QB like Rivers while you draft for your other positions.
Huskers
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:27 am    Post subject:

12 team, PPR league, got the #1 spot. Mahomes? Think he can get similar numbers or will teams start figuring him and this offense out?
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:00 am    Post subject:

LakersChamps04 wrote:
BadGuy wrote:
one of the two leagues I'm playing in is actually implementing keepers too. I think I'm going to keep CMC and David Johnson. This will be the third year in a row I got DJ on my team. Really hoping this is the year with the new offense and all. I might take a flyer on Kyler Murray too. Just in case. I feel like the QB position is so deep this season. You can totally get away waiting late in the draft for a QB like Rivers while you draft for your other positions.

My league implemented a 2 Keeper rule a few years ago. We give up one round earlier than we drafted the player the year before.

I have Lev Bell and Gurley and I'm not keeping either for a 1st and 2nd round pick. Instead, I'm keeping Mark Ingram (6th Round) and James White (12th Round).
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:31 am    Post subject:

Huskers wrote:
12 team, PPR league, got the #1 spot. Mahomes? Think he can get similar numbers or will teams start figuring him and this offense out?

If it was a non-PPR league I wouldn’t snag a QB early, but I have never played in a PPR league. I will probably grab a defense before a QB.
LakersChamps04
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:43 am    Post subject:

Huskers wrote:
That's a little too early tbh even for Mahomes. I would go Zeke if his contract situation is fixed. Or Saquon. Even CMC since its PPR.

I think there will be some regression with Mahomes, even if its minimal. I just dont think he'll be able to repeat last year's performance. You can get Wentz or Deshaun Watson later in the draft and still have very good production from your QB AND a stud RB versus having Mahomes who might do better than Watson and Wentz but you wont have that stud RB
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:30 pm    Post subject:

Huskers wrote:

Saquon.
HOF Rookie
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:16 pm    Post subject:

anyone into dynasty leagues? pros? cons?
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:20 pm    Post subject:

HOF Rookie wrote:
anyone into dynasty leagues? pros? cons?

I haven't done one in a long while but they can be fun. You have to think about team-building and not just every single move considered for this year, though the main focus should always be on trying to win in any given year. At least until the point where it is no longer realistic.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:58 pm    Post subject:

Huskers wrote:

No! I wouldn’t pick a QB before the 8th/9th round this year.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:27 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
Huskers wrote:

If you can get Mahomes in the 4th round, you're committing murder on the rest of your leaguemates. In 2-QB formats, he's worth taking in the late first/early second. He's that good; yes, even with regression coming.

I do agree that if you don't get Mahomes, you can absolutely wait as late as you suggest and still get a good starter. Of course, every draft is different, so I'm sure that in some leagues, there'll be a run on QB's earlier than that and you will have to adjust.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:03 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
Huskers wrote:

If you can get Mahomes in the 4th round, you're committing murder on the rest of your leaguemates. In 2-QB formats, he's worth taking in the late first/early second. He's that good; yes, even with regression coming.

I do agree that if you don't get Mahomes, you can absolutely wait as late as you suggest and still get a good starter. Of course, every draft is different, so I'm sure that in some leagues, there'll be a run on QB's earlier than that and you will have to adjust.

I dont play 2 qb so yeah in that format I agree. But mahomes is going top 3 rounds in 90% of leagues.

He’s going to regress some and its been over a decade since we had a qb finish as qb1 in back to back seasons.

Its also worth noting the top 3 qbs last year were all drafted outside of the top 12 qbs in adp.

Question isnt whether Mahomes will be one of the best, he will. The question is whether Mahomes plus 9th round pick is better than say Cam Newton plus a 1st/2nd round pick.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:28 pm    Post subject:

(QB primer here coming up lol)

^
Well I definitely wouldn't take him in Rounds 1 or 2. I personally feel that he's worth a third round pick, especially if you are picking late in the 3rd round and thus have a pick shortly thereafter in the 4th Round. Might other QB's surprise and finish close to Mahomes in total points this year? Sure, that could always happen, and of course it's possible that Mahomes does not finish as the overall QB1. But he just happens to come with such a built-in high floor, matched with insane upside. I've said for longer than Matthew Berry has that fantasy football (especially with your top few draft picks) is about mitigating risk. I just don't see where the downside is with Mahomes. It's just a perfect setup for him: poor defense, offensive-minded head coach, great weapons to throw to, and a RB group that isn't as good as last season's. It's almost certain that there will be some TD regression, but as the cards lay, he is the clear best QB option and it's not even close. I've done quite a few mocks and I have come away with Mahomes a couple of times in Round 4 and felt great about it. In my other mocks, I don't think I've picked a QB until Round 6 and often not until Round 7 or 8.

There are a lot of QB's to like this year, and a lot where you can make the case that they have top 2-4 upside. Deshaun Watson? Beast when healthy, home games indoors, defense is getting worse. Andrew Luck? Great offensive system/playcaller in place, home games indoors, good weapons. Baker Mayfield? Innovative offensive coaching (Kitchens and Todd Monken) with awesome weaponry. Aaron Rodgers? While he is aging a bit, maybe removing the Mike McCarthy shackles will see him spike back up. Cam Newton? Always been a top-5 guy if healthy, with that rushing production/TD's. Carson Wentz? Offense looks loaded and if healthy, should have a big year. Matt Ryan? Over 4,500 yards in 6 of last 7 seasons, team strength is at wideout, mediocre-at-best D.

Then you have a few safe-ish, high-floor types to choose from. With Russell Wilson, Seattle's commitment to the run holds him back a bit, but he's proven to be so efficient at throwing TD's that you have to factor that in. I do worry about the loss of Doug Baldwin, but ultimately I think Wilson will be fine this year, if not great. With Goff, you're talking about a guy that threw for over 4,600 yards last year with 32 TD's, they get Kupp back, and with Gurley likely much less of a factor this season, I'm guessing the Rams throw more this year, if anything. I think Goff has sneaky top-5 upside. As for Brees, this is another team that wants to run a lot, but if the Saints ever went back to needing to throw more, Brees' production would spike back up. He is coming off a 74% completion season, so he is still getting it done, and obviously it's a great offense where many TD's will be scored. Other guys with good floors include Roethlisberger, Dak Prescott (that rushing production), Tom Brady, and Philip Rivers.

I mention those guys with good floors because I think the upside of Kyler Murray is highly, highly intriguing, and even Jameis Winston has big upside this year. But you could also pretty easily see how both could fail. As such, I wouldn't want either guy to be my clear-cut starter, which means that I would also want to draft one of those high-floor options as well, just to protect yourself. In this same vein, Lamar Jackson, Trubisky, and Josh Allen also have some dual-threat upside potential. Especially in 2-QB leagues, all of these guys will be playing and starting.

I've mentioned 20 QB's so far, and I could even see guys like Cousins, Garroppolo, Carr, and Darnold being relevant, at least during bye weeks. Minnesota wants to run more, but Cousins still has a great WR tandem at his disposal. Kyle Shanahan made Nick Mullens somewhat relevant for a few starts, and with a still-poor D in place and with that aggressive offensive mindset, I could see Jimmy G having some strong games. For Carr, I don't like him as a player, but if AB can actually get past this foot issue and if he plays and plays well, it will prop up Carr's production, and the Raiders figure to be chasing points for most of the year. And with Darnold, it's basically the opposite of Carr; I believe in him as a player, and just think that there may be a second-year leap coming.

That leaves 8 teams, and I'm not going anywhere near Detroit (Stafford), Jacksonville (Foles), Denver (Flacco), Cincy (Dalton), Tennessee (Mariota), the Giants (Manning), Washington (Keenum or Haskins), or Miami (Fitzpatrick or Rosen) in fantasy drafts.
BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:54 pm    Post subject:

Where are you guys drafting players like Josh Jacobs and David Montgomery?
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:17 pm    Post subject:

BadGuy wrote:

Depends on league size and format.

But in standard 12-team leagues they are going late 3rd to 4th rounds.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:03 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
BadGuy wrote:

Depends on league size and format.

But in standard 12-team leagues they are going late 3rd to 4th rounds.

Yes, that's what I am finding, as well.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:59 am    Post subject:

BadGuy wrote:

10 team league, I’m hoping as a 3rd RB.
Moses
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:50 am    Post subject:

In 8 man regular league, have 3rd overall pick, hoping for choice of Kamara or Bell.

Mamba Forever
The Marathon Continues
Still I Rise
BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:10 pm    Post subject:

Moses wrote:
In 8 man regular league, have 3rd overall pick, hoping for choice of Kamara or Bell.

Saquon/CMC/Kamara imo. I am fading Bell out of the first round, personally.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:02 pm    Post subject:

Completed my first draft this season. 12 team, standard scoring, #9 pick. Thoughts? I’m very happy with it.

QB: Jameis Winston
RB: Joe Mixon
RB: Mark Ingram
WR: Julio Jones
WR: Stefon Diggs
TE: Vance McDonald
FLEX: James White

BN: Mike Williams
BN: AJ Green
BN: Rashaad Penny
BN: Justin Jackson
BN: Mitch Trubisky
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 6:56 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
Completed my first draft this season. 12 team, standard scoring, #9 pick. Thoughts? I’m very happy with it.

Looks pretty decent, as long as Winston doesn't flop. And Trubisky will probably be fine if you needed to start him. I'm assuming you took Julio 9th and Mixon with your 2nd round pick?
BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:05 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:

Solid team. Can't go wrong with AJ Green as your 3rd WR. Justin Jackson will be more valuable than Ekeler if Gordon holds out, and Penny may eventually take over if Carson gets hurt. I would look for more RB help on the waiver (or via trade - send Diggs if/when Green returns fully healthy and looks good) in case Carson remains healthy and Gordon comes back.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:39 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

Looks pretty decent, as long as Winston doesn't flop. And Trubisky will probably be fine if you needed to start him. I'm assuming you took Julio 9th and Mixon with your 2nd round pick?

You are exactly right. Mixon was the final “upper tier” RB left. Since it is a standard 2-WR league I figured I’d need a high floor RB since I’d have to gamble a bit later.

Not too worried about QBs. I mean Kirk Cousins and Big Ben went undrafted so i have backup options.

Had no plans on drafting AJ Green but he was still there in the 8th so it was a no brainer for me.

And thanks for the feedback BadGuy! I had the 9th so elite RBs were out of reach for me. But I’m high on Ingram this year so all said, I’m pretty happy to have 3 RBs I can play out of the gate with a later round pick.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:43 am    Post subject:

Today is the most popular day for NBA drafts. So if you have one today, post it so we can rate your draft!
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8
Jump to: