OFFICIAL GENERAL FREE AGENCY/TRADE THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 3677, 3678, 3679 ... 8558, 8559, 8560  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:31 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
We overloaded on guards while ignoring SF-sized perimeter defenders and centers behind Boogie who was coming off an Achilles/quad injury.

Now we have 7 guys vying for 96 guard minutes, no true SF behind LBJ, and no center behind Jav.

Potential poor roster construction was my concern after knowing we got AD. Even with waiting for Kawhi, there were guys who we could and should have locked up at the minimum just like we did with Dudley and Daniels who signed minimums well before Kawhi even took a meeting.

After Kawhi, we still had the opportunity to get RHJ at the min who would've been a perfect addition- young defensive forward who can guard 4 positions.

Klutch (AD, LBJ, RP) convinced Pelinka KCP could handle SF is my guess.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:35 pm    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
We overloaded on guards while ignoring SF-sized perimeter defenders and centers behind Boogie who was coming off an Achilles/quad injury.

Now we have 7 guys vying for 96 guard minutes, no true SF behind LBJ, and no center behind Jav.

Potential poor roster construction was my concern after knowing we got AD. Even with waiting for Kawhi, there were guys who we could and should have locked up at the minimum just like we did with Dudley and Daniels who signed minimums well before Kawhi even took a meeting.

After Kawhi, we still had the opportunity to get RHJ at the min who would've been a perfect addition- young defensive forward who can guard 4 positions.

RHJ
Burks
Stanley
Vonleh.

All signed minimum or close to minimum deals.
DLaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:36 pm    Post subject:

How about Kosta Koufos, always though he was a big body with a lot of skill.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:38 pm    Post subject:

DLaker wrote:

Only 30.

But as an aside, shot 44 and 41% from FT the past two seasons. Yikes.
DLaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:43 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
DLaker wrote:

Only 30.

But as an aside, shot 44 and 41% from FT the past two seasons. Yikes.

Didnt shoot too much FT, but we only need him for a < 10 mins per game with Mcgee and AD taking the rest of the min. Very productive for the amount of min he plays 12pts/12reb per 36 min
mxgardens
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:46 pm    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Yep, just your guess. It's remarkable that so many critics on this board think there in an NBA free agency rule that the Lakers get to pick all of the vet min players they want first (and the players have no say in the matter) and then the other teams get to pick up anyone the Lakers failed to "get," thus anyone we didn't sign is automatically due to FO incompetence.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:48 pm    Post subject:

mxgardens wrote:
2019 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Yep, just your guess. It's remarkable that so many critics on this board think there in an NBA free agency rule that the Lakers get to pick all of the vet min players they want first (and the players have no say in the matter) and then the other teams get to pick up anyone the Lakers failed to "get," thus anyone we didn't sign is automatically due to FO incompetence.

It's a philosophical approach that is concerning.

At least grab guys who can defend multiple positions (i.e. RHJ, Stanley Johnson, Burks were all available for minimum/close to minimum) and aren't relegated to only being able to "defend" (and I use that term liberally) guards b/c of their size.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:54 pm    Post subject:

I do like how the Warriors did their Plan B after KD left.

DLO
WCS (slightly over min)
Burks (min)
Glenn Robinson III (min)
re-sign Looney on a cheap deal.

Smart moves to add depth and young legs on 1 year deals.
mxgardens
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:57 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
mxgardens wrote:
2019 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

At least grab guys who can defend multiple positions (i.e. RHJ, Stanley Johnson, Burks were all available for minimum/close to minimum) and aren't relegated to only being able to "defend" (and I use that term liberally) guards b/c of their size.

That's the thing though -- how do we know that this wish list was "available"? I am a proponent of Lakers exceptionalism, but even I don't think every single min. or near min. player has us ranked 1 out of 30 teams. For example, if I was to "guess" about RHJ, I would say he went to Toronto because the Raps lost two starting wings from last year's title team, giving him a legitimate chance for big minutes during a one-year deal season in which he is showcasing for a multi-year deal in 2020. But again, just a guess (though probably a better guess than the constant conspiracy theories about Klutch).
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:02 pm    Post subject:

mxgardens wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
mxgardens wrote:
2019 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

That's the thing though -- how do we know that this wish list was "available"? I am a proponent of Lakers exceptionalism, but even I don't think every single min. or near min. player has us ranked 1 out of 30 teams. For example, if I was to "guess" about RHJ, I would say he went to Toronto because the Raps lost two starting wings from last year's title team, giving him a legitimate chance for big minutes during a one-year deal season in which he is showcasing for a multi-year deal in 2020. But again, just a guess (though probably a better guess than the constant conspiracy theories about Klutch).

Look at what the FO prioritizes though.

1. Klutch guys (LBJ/AD/KCP/THT)
2. older vets with "name" brand recognition

Again, they completely seemed to sail past the younger guys I named above. That's due in part to being strung on by Kawhi for so long, but also b/c frankly they don't seem to care about non-big name younger players.
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:48 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
mxgardens wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
mxgardens wrote:
2019 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Again, they completely seemed to sail past the younger guys I named above. That's due in part to being strung on by Kawhi for so long, but also b/c frankly they don't seem to care about non-big name younger players.

Quote:

It comes across as the organization being somewhat compromised/captured by LeBron and Klutch even though some (many?) said that wouldn't happen because the organization was different than Cleveland.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:02 pm    Post subject:

If Noah ends up being the guy we sign I would be excited because he is still a difference maker...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xEMWt_zHA2Y

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QV5ZnjU2Jd0

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ILp7hkZohG8

Howard is still slightly better but Noah is still a nice get.
la4win
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:17 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
If Noah ends up being the guy we sign I would be excited because he is still a difference maker...

Noah is done.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:46 pm    Post subject:

Bard207 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
mxgardens wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
mxgardens wrote:
2019 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Quote:

It comes across as the organization being somewhat compromised/captured by LeBron and Klutch even though some (many?) said that wouldn't happen because the organization was different than Cleveland.

I won’t complain about getting AD and LBJ. But KCP? Ugh.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:11 pm    Post subject:

la4win wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

Noah is done.

Noah had an actually productive stint. At this point, he's probably as effective a defender as post-second-back-surgery Dwight, if not more. And he can actually playmake unlike Dwight. Dwight is the one who is fully washed.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:17 pm    Post subject:

Luminous8 wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
coldzim wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
Oof these numbers

https://twitter.com/Tim_NBA/status/1162083790774292480?s=19

Basically, Dwight is only not horrible at one thing: defensive rebounding.

That's not true.

Quote:
https://twitter.com/Tim_NBA/status/1163230725484814336

@Tim_NBA

Dwight Howard’s career PIPM and @The_BBall_Index talent grade data looks solid other than last season’s tiny sample.

On court, in a vacuum (ignore fit), he’s perhaps the best of bad options for LA.

I’ll leave analyzing off-court risks and deciding if he’s worth it to the team.

[...]

Of the available options (through the lens of comparing to other bigs):

- Howard is the only real plus interior defender
- Johnson and Faried are the only ones with any floor spacing & popping ability (albeit not very strong)
- Noah can playmake & Johnson can to a lesser degree
- Howard is the only good finisher
- Howard & Faried only good rollers
- Howard is the only + rebounder on both O&D

Off-court aside, Howard checks the most boxes. He’s the guy unless you’re going for spacing.

That's if you're regarding last season a fluke and not an indicator of where he's headed, especially after a *2nd* back surgery. The dude is done.

I’m sure you were apart of the same group who kept screaming Nosh was done when some of us said we’d give him a look last year. Is he done as a 30-35mpg guy? Probably. But as a 20 minute backup I believe he could be more than helpful. Especially when JaVale has his yearly stretch of bad play.

It's fun/easy to put someone you disagree with into a univocal strawman, but all i said about Noah last year is that we didn't need him when we already Tyson. And yes, it had been a long time since he had proven a productive player. So even if i did feel that way, i would have been in my right.
ahaider
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:17 pm    Post subject:

Last year we impulsively tried to shore up our weakness at backup center with Tyson Chandler. I'd rather try to keep a pulse on the market leading up to the trading deadline instead of rush to fill backup C.

"The key to good decision making is not knowledge. It is understanding. We are swimming in the former. We are desperately lacking in the latter." - Malcom Gladwell
fansincemagic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:28 pm    Post subject:

ahaider wrote:
Last year we impulsively tried to shore up our weakness at backup center with Tyson Chandler. I'd rather try to keep a pulse on the market leading up to the trading deadline instead of rush to fill backup C.

They currently have no pulse for a backup center, if Chandler were hypothetically the BPA right now you sign him. there's nothing stopping them from keeping an eye on the market and then trading a guy like Daniels or use a roster exception for Cousins.
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:47 pm    Post subject:

ahaider wrote:

I don't think that Chandler hurt the W/L record last season and probably helped it by a few games.

I don't think that they have enough of an edge that they can wait until January - February to find another center. Neither McGee or Davis can be considered an iron man and Kuzma tends to be a bit overmatched when he is the center.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:09 pm    Post subject:

Bard207 wrote:
ahaider wrote:

I don't think that Chandler hurt the W/L record last season and probably helped it by a few games.

I don't think that they have enough of an edge that they can wait until January - February to find another center. Neither McGee or Davis can be considered an iron man and Kuzma tends to be a bit overmatched when he is the center.

Chandler definitely added a few to the win column during that 1st month after he arrived.
The Juggernaut
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:41 pm    Post subject:

Have to go with Noah if he has anything left in the tank because the dude is still a good rebounder/defender and has great playmaking skills for a center. Playing 15 MPG should be doable for him. McGee can handle 25 MPG and AD plays 10 MPG at C but more in the playoffs.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:45 pm    Post subject:

Based on these advanced stats, I think Amir Johnson looks like the least worst option.
https://twitter.com/Tim_NBA/status/1162083790774292480

Never been a fan of Amir. But we need floor spacing, playmaking, and perimeter defense from the C position IMO.
Balto
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:58 am    Post subject:

What are you all even talking about....Zero percent chance Noah and Lebron would play together hahaha wasted time even talking about it
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:31 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
mxgardens wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
mxgardens wrote:
2019 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Another aspect of decision making process for vet signings that needs to be considered is the potential to be traded by the trade deadline. A free agent has to look at that as part of the pros and cons.

Lakers have unstable in the past couple years when it comes to roster makeup and planning. Relying on short term deals and constant chatter of the “trade deadline moves”. James has a history of blowing up teams mid season too.

For some vets I am guessing they are looking for more stability and being a part of a team. Not being a trade asset to appease the next wild strategy to fix the team.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:56 am    Post subject:

DLaker wrote:

Looking from the back, Koufos gonna make Caruso look like mini me
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 3677, 3678, 3679 ... 8558, 8559, 8560  Next
Page 3678 of 8560
Jump to: