Woj: LAL to workout Dwight, Noah, Gortat, Speights
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 15, 16, 17  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which Center working out with Lakers would you want LA to sign?
Dwight Howard
28%
 28%  [ 35 ]
Joaquim Noah
46%
 46%  [ 57 ]
Mo Speights
10%
 10%  [ 13 ]
Marcin Gortat
13%
 13%  [ 17 ]
Total Votes : 122

Nash Vegas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:30 pm    Post subject:

https://twitter.com/atlhawksfan3/status/1162052858495324160?s=21
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:33 pm    Post subject:

Darth Los Angeles wrote:
For people claiming that Dwight's a team killer... What do you think LeBron is?

Apparently he's a franchise savior. The Cavs tanked when he left and rebounded when he came back (on the court and value wise). The Heat tanked off the court when he left and went from perennial 1st round exits to champs when he arrived. Y'all are arguable title contenders with him in year 2.
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:51 pm    Post subject:

Nash Vegas wrote:
https://twitter.com/atlhawksfan3/status/1162052858495324160?s=21

Lakers are more like Thanos though, saying that to Dwight.... Seeing Dwight who"s career is at a downward spiral wanted to come back to the Lakers before Lakers had interest in him.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:34 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Steve007 wrote:
ocho wrote:
Steve007 wrote:
ocho wrote:
acer77 wrote:
Don't let Dwight fool you all, he hasn't changed at all.

https://www.slamonline.com/slam-tv/brandon-haywood-locker-room-hated-dwight-howard/

It is unfathomable to me that despite the ocean of evidence that this guy is toxic beyond measure people still want to bring him into our locker room because points and rebounding box score stats are as deep as they go. Yeah, sure seems like DWIGHT HOWARD will just keep his head down, accept his blue collar role on this team and just be a great supportive teammate. That sounds so much like him.

He rebounds and plays defense. So I think it’s different than having a guy like Carmelo that will play no defense and destroy the offense with his reckless and selfish decision making.

Other guys may be much better locker room guys, but it doesn’t mean much if they stink. There are plenty of great locker room guys that are toxic on the basketball court despite realizing their limitations and being all about the team. Dwight isn’t one of those guys.

So if it's that easy and he just plays defense and rebounds and that's it, why does every team he's on gleefully get rid of him? Why are his former teammates/execs unable to contain their exuberance in parting ways with him? I mean he just plays D and rebounds. Why is there always an issue?

I don’t think that’s true. Our team offered him 5 years and $118 million to stay in LA. And it feels strange for me to write that because it’s hard to imagine anyone wanting him that badly anymore.

Fwiw, people said Ron Artest was going to be a major problem in the locker room. But fans still wanted him because they thought he could play. The team won a championship with him. Even Dwight has made the Finals and also a conference finals with the Rockets.

What does the contract we offered him 6 years ago have to do with anything? He was still considered an elite player then (he isn't now) and that was FIVE teams ago. Lots of teams were willing to put up with his clown act while he was still a great player. Ron Artest was an elite defensive player who was to play a key role on our team, and though he was volatile and it posed a risk, he wasn't a bad teammate or disliked in locker rooms. You're talking about injecting the most poisonous player in the league into our locker room so we can have a 3rd string center. You have to ignore so many colossal red flags to even consider this.

I don’t think the team offers him that money for 5 years if he is really that poisonous even with the expectations people had for him back then (and even at the time a lot of us didn’t even think he was that great). The risks were actually much greater with that deal because he was supposed to be a team leader and if things didn’t work out the team would be stuck with him and that contract. This time around the risk is much lower. If it doesn’t work out he won’t be on a 5 year $118 million deal this time.

He put up 16 and 12 in his last full season in the league. And played defense. And we don’t even need him to do that on this team.

The biggest concern I have with this team is defense. Some of the other names I’m seeing as possible centers are going to be a nightmare defensively.

If it doesn’t work out for Dwight when he plays with Lebron and AD, that’s going to make him look really bad.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:40 am    Post subject:

Steve007 wrote:

Quote:
I don’t think the team offers him that money for 5 years if he is really that poisonous...

Dwight had only played for the Magic at that point. Since he left the Lakers he's played on 4 teams in 6 years and apparently none of them liked him.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:03 am    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:

Dwight had only played for the Magic at that point. Since he left the Lakers he's played on 4 teams in 6 years and apparently none of them liked him.

I’ll admit that if I was rooting for Atlanta, Charlotte or Washington I probably wouldn’t want him either.

The difference with the Lakers team is there is a serious chance for title number 17. Those other teams weren’t serious contenders so there wasn’t as much upside to bringing in a guy like Dwight when he wasn’t in his prime anymore.

I don’t remember Dwight being thought of as a divisive teammate in the locker room. All I remember was he was delusional about his abilities and wasn’t serious enough; I thought that was why Kobe was really annoyed. It didn’t seem like Dwight had the fire in him to lead a team to a championship. And people think of him as an underachiever.

And I can’t believe I spent this much time writing this stuff about Dwight Howard. A few days ago I didn’t see this coming. Fortunately if the team disagrees with me and doesn’t pick him up, it’s basically a big (bleep) you to him because I doubt he gets another opportunity like this one again.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:40 am    Post subject:

Steve007 wrote:
vanexelent wrote:

I’ll admit that if I was rooting for Atlanta, Charlotte or Washington I probably wouldn’t want him either.

The difference with the Lakers team is there is a serious chance for title number 17. Those other teams weren’t serious contenders so there wasn’t as much upside to bringing in a guy like Dwight when he wasn’t in his prime anymore.

I don’t remember Dwight being thought of as a divisive teammate in the locker room. All I remember was he was delusional about his abilities and wasn’t serious enough; I thought that was why Kobe was really annoyed. It didn’t seem like Dwight had the fire in him to lead a team to a championship. And people think of him as an underachiever.

And I can’t believe I spent this much time writing this stuff about Dwight Howard. A few days ago I didn’t see this coming. Fortunately if the team disagrees with me and doesn’t pick him up, it’s basically a big (bleep) you to him because I doubt he gets another opportunity like this one again.

And everything you described here is still probably true about him. He doesn't seem like a guy who's willing to be a great role player on a championship team. Boogie Cousins will be more of a team leader and glue guy from the bench than Dwight would be.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:21 am    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
Steve007 wrote:

Quote:
I don’t think the team offers him that money for 5 years if he is really that poisonous...

Yeah the argument that "the Lakers almost made a gigantic mistake by paying Howard 6 years ago and that means he's a helluva guy" is a strange one. We don't need to guess or theorize on whether or not Dwight is toxic. In a league where everybody is trained to robotically say the same thing to avoid conflict there are multiple instances of execs, coaches, and teammates who simply can't hide their contempt for him. If Dwight were merely a case of a great defender who puts up double doubles this wouldn't be a conversation because he'd be a max player. Teams that had him wouldnt be desperately trying to dump him and contenders wouldn't be stressing over whether to offer him the minimum.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:35 am    Post subject:

Dreamshake wrote:
Darth Los Angeles wrote:
For people claiming that Dwight's a team killer... What do you think LeBron is?

Apparently he's a franchise savior. The Cavs tanked when he left and rebounded when he came back (on the court and value wise). The Heat tanked off the court when he left and went from perennial 1st round exits to champs when he arrived. Y'all are arguable title contenders with him in year 2.

I think that you just supported the idea that Lebron is a team killer.
Nash Vegas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:47 am    Post subject:

Here we go!

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1163839568044580867?s=21

Quote:
woj:

Sources: Lakers planning individual workouts to evaluate centers Joakim Noah, Dwight Howard and Mo Speights this week in Los Angeles. Another consideration currently overseas: Marcin Gortat. Lakers want a window into physical condition and mindset of a potential addition.If

Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:47 am    Post subject:

Nash Vegas wrote:
Here we go!

Quote:
woj:

Sources: Lakers planning individual workouts to evaluate centers Joakim Noah, Dwight Howard and Mo Speights this week in Los Angeles. Another consideration currently overseas: Marcin Gortat. Lakers want a window into physical condition and mindset of a potential addition.If

Smart. this is what I wanted..just wasn't sure if pros do this
Jordan-esque
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:48 am    Post subject:

This will be interesting
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:49 am    Post subject:

Nash Vegas wrote:
Here we go!

Quote:
woj:

More from Woj:

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1163840141191974914?s=21

Quote:
Howard is under contract with Memphis, but they’re letting him explore opportunities elsewhere. Grizzlies would gladly work on a buyout with him.

Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:04 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Grizzlies would gladly work on a buyout with him.

As did all the teams he's been on recently.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:04 am    Post subject:

Mo Speights????
LaLaLakeShow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:25 am    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
Mo Speights????

He’s got One thing going for him... he’s not Dwight Howard
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:27 am    Post subject:

LaLaLakeShow wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
Mo Speights????

Mo has a championship ring and Howard doesn’t

Last edited by Inspector Gadget on Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:40 am; edited 1 time in total
lakez34
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:34 am    Post subject:

I'd take Joakim (if healthy), Speights and finally as a last resort Howard. Howard has also had health issues, and when combined with his words not matching his actions, I have little faith he'd be worth a roster spot on our team.
Nash Vegas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:08 am    Post subject:

Why no Faried?
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:15 am    Post subject:

Nash Vegas wrote:
Here we go!

Quote:
woj:

Boss move. Show me you are worth a spot on the team. Smart move Rob.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:22 am    Post subject:

The point of including Speights and Gortat on this has to be to make us feel better if we end up signing Dwight. At least we didn't sign Gortat or Mo Buckets.
Polarbear
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:32 am    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
The point of including Speights and Gortat on this has to be to make us feel better if we end up signing Dwight. At least we didn't sign Gortat or Mo Buckets.

OK....just so that I understand the outrage

Is everyone of the opinion that he no longer can guard the rim and bang with big centers?

If he has lost that....then move onto the next player....if this is over something that has happened YEARS ago then come on man
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:11 am    Post subject:

Thank heavens! #justsayNOtoDwight
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:14 am    Post subject:

Polarbear wrote:
pjiddy wrote:

OK....just so that I understand the outrage

Is everyone of the opinion that he no longer can guard the rim and bang with big centers?

If he has lost that....then move onto the next player....if this is over something that has happened YEARS ago then come on man

One year ago, two years ago, three years ago and so on.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:15 am    Post subject:

LaLaLakeShow wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
Mo Speights????

He's a pick and pop, and catch and shoot big. Something I prefer out of the Center position.
We should be running 4 out- 1 in. That spacing will allow LBJ and Brow to dominate.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 11 of 17
Jump to: