Quasi-Official BOOGIE COUSINS Thread (Charges Dropped)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 51, 52, 53 ... 67, 68, 69  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:07 am    Post subject:

LaLaLakeShow wrote:
activeverb wrote:
LaLaLakeShow wrote:
activeverb wrote:

I agree. Lebron is the face of player empowerment. He showed a star could not just pick his team, he could create his team and win with it.

If that impresses you, so be it

It does impress me.

Historically, players have sat around passively, hoping some GM would put a winning team around them.

Modern superstars are realizing they don't have to wait and hope for luck. I think that's smart of them. If I were an NBA superstar, I'd be going the Lebron-Durant-Irving, etc. route of creating my own team and deciding who I want to play with rather than leave it to chance.

I could not see it more differently. The dude is a passive aggressive narcissist who doesn’t care which teammate gets thrown under the bus and rarely, if ever, takes the lion’s share of the blame even though he literally refers to himself as the Chosen One. Seriously, give me a break.
Greatest small forward Ever. The Shaq of his position. But an absolute hurricane of a personality when it comes to team chemistry. His reaction on the bench after J.R. Smith’s bonehead play at the end of Game One against the Warriors is one of the most pathetic things I’ve ever seen from an all-time great. The game wasn’t even over, and he’s already checked out competitively!! Unreal...and Completely inexcusable.
He’s a politician more than anything else to me, in the end. And because of that I never can bring myself to trust a word he says. 🤷‍♂️
But it is what it is. He’s on my favorite team of all time. So for the next few years I hope he drops triple doubles without breaking a sweat and takes us past the Celtics.

A lot of people don't like Lebron, they don't like his personality, and he certainly is politician.

Does this have a negative impact on his teams' success? Not as far as I can make out.
LaLaLakeShow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:12 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
LaLaLakeShow wrote:
activeverb wrote:
LaLaLakeShow wrote:
activeverb wrote:

I agree. Lebron is the face of player empowerment. He showed a star could not just pick his team, he could create his team and win with it.

It does impress me.

Historically, players have sat around passively, hoping some GM would put a winning team around them.

Modern superstars are realizing they don't have to wait and hope for luck. I think that's smart of them. If I were an NBA superstar, I'd be going the Lebron-Durant-Irving, etc. route of creating my own team and deciding who I want to play with rather than leave it to chance.

I could not see it more differently. The dude is a passive aggressive narcissist who doesn’t care which teammate gets thrown under the bus and rarely, if ever, takes the lion’s share of the blame even though he literally refers to himself as the Chosen One. Seriously, give me a break.
Greatest small forward Ever. The Shaq of his position. But an absolute hurricane of a personality when it comes to team chemistry. His reaction on the bench after J.R. Smith’s bonehead play at the end of Game One against the Warriors is one of the most pathetic things I’ve ever seen from an all-time great. The game wasn’t even over, and he’s already checked out competitively!! Unreal...and Completely inexcusable.
He’s a politician more than anything else to me, in the end. And because of that I never can bring myself to trust a word he says. 🤷‍♂️
But it is what it is. He’s on my favorite team of all time. So for the next few years I hope he drops triple doubles without breaking a sweat and takes us past the Celtics.

A lot of people don't like Lebron, they don't like his personality, and he certainly is politician.

Does this have a negative impact on his teams' success? Not as far as I can make out.

Well, I don’t see how it could be a positive one
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:41 am    Post subject:

LaLaLakeShow wrote:
activeverb wrote:
LaLaLakeShow wrote:
activeverb wrote:
LaLaLakeShow wrote:
activeverb wrote:

It does impress me.

I don't see it as a positive or negative myself. People come in all shades of personality. We like some people, we dislike others.

Some teammates have had issues with Lebron, but overall I get the impression he gets along well with his teammates. He and JR are still buds

And it isn't important for teammates to be best buddies anyway. There are lots of examples of winning teams in many sports where the players didn't get along off the field or court.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:03 pm    Post subject:

I don't even understand what people don't like about Lebron's personality... other than he's not Kobe.
LaLaLakeShow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:00 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
LaLaLakeShow wrote:
activeverb wrote:
LaLaLakeShow wrote:
activeverb wrote:
LaLaLakeShow wrote:
activeverb wrote:

It does impress me.

I don't see it as a positive or negative myself. People come in all shades of personality. We like some people, we dislike others.

Some teammates have had issues with Lebron, but overall I get the impression he gets along well with his teammates. He and JR are still buds

And it isn't important for teammates to be best buddies anyway. There are lots of examples of winning teams in many sports where the players didn't get along off the field or court.

Players getting along was not my point at all
LaLaLakeShow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:02 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
I don't even understand what people don't like about Lebron's personality... other than he's not Kobe.

There’s lots to dislike, from certain perspectives. You really can’t come up with anything?? Lol
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:58 pm    Post subject:

LaLaLakeShow wrote:
greenfrog wrote:

There’s lots to dislike, from certain perspectives. You really can’t come up with anything?? Lol

Hair transplants?
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:21 pm    Post subject:

LaLaLakeShow wrote:

I get the gist of it. You basically don't like much of anything Lebron does on or off the courT, as a player or as a person.

It's cool.
LaLaLakeShow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:15 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
LaLaLakeShow wrote:
greenfrog wrote:

Hair transplants?

Lol. Could be
LaLaLakeShow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:18 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
LaLaLakeShow wrote:

I get the gist of it. You basically don't like much of anything Lebron does on or off the courT, as a player or as a person.

It's cool.

Yeah, it’s a weird feeling when your least favorite player of all time joins your favorite team of all time. Been a strange experience so far, Lol.
But I still want the Lakers to bring home the chip. Nothing could ever change that.
kwase
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:46 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:

He's not MJ, Magic or Bird either.
LaLaLakeShow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:53 pm    Post subject:

kwase wrote:
greenfrog wrote:

He's not MJ, Magic or Bird either.

And BOOM goes the dynamite Lol
ZeroDark30_
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:12 am    Post subject:

((POLITICAL COMMENT REMOVED - JMK))
LaLaLakeShow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:31 am    Post subject:

((POLITICAL COMMENT REMOVED - JMK))
JerryMagicKobe

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:44 am    Post subject:

LaLaLakeShow wrote:
greenfrog wrote:

Why not try to find a reasonable balance?
Too much to ask?
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:51 am    Post subject:

We have to remember that what we see of Lebron’s personality is manufactured. It might be or might not be who he really is. He does a lot of good in this world and I have no issue if it is because he seeks the publicity from doing so. I doubt those benefiting from his charity care either.
LaLaLakeShow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:06 am    Post subject:

JerryMagicKobe wrote:
LaLaLakeShow wrote:
greenfrog wrote:

Why not try to find a reasonable balance?
Too much to ask?

Not at all. But it’s the same as if Harden became a Laker tomorrow. I wouldn’t all of a sudden like the guy
L4L
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:41 am    Post subject:

LeBron has been iconoclastic in terms of what it means to be a superstar in many ways. I think that, more than anything, is what people don't like about him. He doesn't have an obsessive, compulsive "competition" problem. He isn't a narcissistic, sociopath that prioritizes work over his relationships (even the familial ones). He isn't a magnanimous, overtly friendly showman who can get even the worst of his enemies to eventually love him.

By one way of looking at things, he's "just" an overwhelmingly talented guy who lacks the compelling origin story or character flaw that makes so many people drawn to "heroes" like Jordan, Bryant, or Magic.

When Magic gets a coach fired because he doesn't like the style of play, this is swept under the rug because he was simply standing up for what he believes to best for his team and because he's a "winner". When Jordan stays out all night gambling before PLAYOFF GAMES, this is seen as part of the overall "addiction to competition" that made him the greatest. When Bryant alienates half of the teams he's on, and perhaps even half of the leagues' players in general, it is because he is a principled, professional with an unmatched work ethic. When James refuses to tolerate the ineptitude of the front office he was assigned to during his NBA Draft, he's an egomaniac.

The most striking "flaw" in the James' character is his persistent involvement with personnel decisions. That will, apparently, never sit as well with fans as far more insidious, or outright destructive, habits because the narrative isn't as relatable. Whether it is true or not, James is presented as a relatively normal and emotionally stable man who does the right thing far more often than not. That isn't very exciting for fans.

And if anyone really wants to try and sell the idea that he's singularly more egotistical than previous superstars, that's practically a non-starter for me. There's no such thing as an NBA superstar without a supersized ego.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:06 pm    Post subject:

So basically his personality sin is that he's dull. Christ, that actually makes sense.
LaLaLakeShow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:01 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
So basically his personality sin is that he's dull. Christ, that actually makes sense.

To people looking for reasons to be apologists, maybe.
LaLaLakeShow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:09 pm    Post subject:

L4L wrote:
LeBron has been iconoclastic in terms of what it means to be a superstar in many ways. I think that, more than anything, is what people don't like about him. He doesn't have an obsessive, compulsive "competition" problem. He isn't a narcissistic, sociopath that prioritizes work over his relationships (even the familial ones). He isn't a magnanimous, overtly friendly showman who can get even the worst of his enemies to eventually love him.

By one way of looking at things, he's "just" an overwhelmingly talented guy who lacks the compelling origin story or character flaw that makes so many people drawn to "heroes" like Jordan, Bryant, or Magic.

When Magic gets a coach fired because he doesn't like the style of play, this is swept under the rug because he was simply standing up for what he believes to best for his team and because he's a "winner". When Jordan stays out all night gambling before PLAYOFF GAMES, this is seen as part of the overall "addiction to competition" that made him the greatest. When Bryant alienates half of the teams he's on, and perhaps even half of the leagues' players in general, it is because he is a principled, professional with an unmatched work ethic. When James refuses to tolerate the ineptitude of the front office he was assigned to during his NBA Draft, he's an egomaniac.

The most striking "flaw" in the James' character is his persistent involvement with personnel decisions. That will, apparently, never sit as well with fans as far more insidious, or outright destructive, habits because the narrative isn't as relatable. Whether it is true or not, James is presented as a relatively normal and emotionally stable man who does the right thing far more often than not. That isn't very exciting for fans.

And if anyone really wants to try and sell the idea that he's singularly more egotistical than previous superstars, that's practically a non-starter for me. There's no such thing as an NBA superstar without a supersized ego.

Yeah, they all have massive egos sure. But they all don’t seem as fake to me as LeBron. People see things differently sometimes, and that’s alright.
Oh and people tattooing Chosen One on their bodies but still bragging about how humble they are gets a little nauseating...at least to some of us.
But it is what it is and it be what it be. Seems like most on this site like the guy when almost everyone used to take him to task for his two faced garbage. (Yes, I’ve been reading LG posts for a Long time)
Ehh.. A little disappointing perhaps but not surprising.
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:28 pm    Post subject:

Oh- I didn't realize I had gone into the LeBron thread.
L4L
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:44 pm    Post subject:

He got that tattoo when he was, what, 17 years old? That was almost two decades ago. When does LeBron constantly talk about how humble he is? That's a media portrayal that tends to tag along with how good of a dude he is (which seems to be genuine).

What, exactly, do you find fake?

He is still with the same woman after all these years, not so much as even allegations of infidelity, probably the single most charitable current player in the NBA, and his biggest indiscretion has been hosting "The Decision". Let that sink in. The worst thing this guy has ever done was be a bit of attention-whore when he changed his team almost ten years ago. To be fair, that show got insanely high ratings and went to a charitable cause as well.

Again, this was my point. Somehow the fact that he is genuinely a good dude is seen as fake. He doesn't punch teammates, berate teammates for their playing abilities, he doesn't get in trouble with the law, he gives millions to charities, and, by all accounts, is a genuinely good role model.

I don't have to apologize. Frankly, I'm a MUCH bigger Kobe fan, but THAT requires being an apologist in many instances.

Rooting for James? No. The reasons to dislike him are petty and competitive in nature. He hasn't actually done anything seriously malicious that ever made it into the public spotlight. I'm fine with rooting against him because he was the enemy for so long. But let's not throw a bunch of rationalizations at the raw, visceral emotions just to make the optics better. He's one of the least hateable stars of all-time if we're talking about actual conduct.
LaLaLakeShow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:44 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Funkbot wrote:
Oh- I didn't realize I had gone into the LeBron thread.

Conversations ebb and flow. Just like opinions on The King! 😆
LaLaLakeShow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:45 pm    Post subject:

L4L wrote:
He got that tattoo when he was, what, 17 years old? That was almost two decades ago. When does LeBron constantly talk about how humble he is? That's a media portrayal that tends to tag along with how good of a dude he is (which seems to be genuine).

What, exactly, do you find fake?

He is still with the same woman after all these years, not so much as even allegations of infidelity, probably the single most charitable current player in the NBA, and his biggest indiscretion has been hosting "The Decision". Let that sink in. The worst thing this guy has ever done was be a bit of attention-whore when he changed his team almost ten years ago. To be fair, that show got insanely high ratings and went to a charitable cause as well.

Again, this was my point. Somehow the fact that he is genuinely a good dude is seen as fake. He doesn't punch teammates, berate teammates for their playing abilities, he doesn't get in trouble with the law, he gives millions to charities, and, by all accounts, is a genuinely good role model.

I don't have to apologize. Frankly, I'm a MUCH bigger Kobe fan, but THAT requires being an apologist in many instances.

Rooting for James? No. The reasons to dislike him are petty and competitive in nature. He hasn't actually done anything seriously malicious that ever made it into the public spotlight. I'm fine with rooting against him because he was the enemy for so long. But let's not throw a bunch of rationalizations at the raw, visceral emotions just to make the optics better. He's one of the least hateable stars of all-time if we're talking about actual conduct.

You’re certainly welcome to your opinion of the guy 🤷‍♂️
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 51, 52, 53 ... 67, 68, 69  Next
Page 52 of 69
Jump to: