Will Howard to Lakers end up working out?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Will Howard help us or will he be a disaster signing?
Yes he will help us become a force
68%
 68%  [ 56 ]
No the signing will be a disaster
31%
 31%  [ 26 ]
Total Votes : 82

Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:45 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
For some reason, despite all the crying and whining about it, I think so. I understand the reasons to be cautious about this move, but talent wise he was by far the best big man free agent. He is probably still way more talented than McGee, who was going to be our only big man at the 5 after the Cousins move. This was not about choosing Dwight over a great big man. It was making a move once Cousins was down. McGee has some ability, but McGee can not hold position and defend elite 5s. He can't really be a physical force, something that I think this team was looking for next to AD. They had Cousins pegged in for that role. So it came down to Noah vs Dwight. Through the work outs, probably Dwight looked so much better, that they had to go with him. Risks and all.

Dwight clearly has been told, you make trouble, you shift the focus from winning a title, you're gone. I think he knows this. This isn't 2012 where he thinks the franchise owes him the face of the franchise status as well as other things. He's coming in to be a role player to facilitate AD and Lebron. He isn't even a lock to start, he will have to earn it. I think this was a worthwhile move once Cousins went down. If we had Cousins, I would not have gone for this, and did not want to (when it was debated a few weeks ago). Different situation after the Cousins injury. We were facing going into the season with McGee and a D league level big. Anthony Davis is not re-signing with the Lakers if we make him play 5 regularly.

There is a big difference from Howard knowing not to be a distraction and actually being one. He doesn't wake up one day and suddenly say to himself "I'm going to be a disruptive immature teammate today".

I doubt there will be a defining incident that gets him cut. It is always a slow grind of small irritations, comments and antics that eventually lead to him being moved from team after team.

The Lakers will be dealing with this clown all year long. Even if in shape and remains healthy there will always be the other side of the scales weighing his value down. The issue will get even bigger when he inevitably has a few great games and the pressure mounts for him to return to his "role" and do the simple things and keep his mouth shut.

He won't be able to because he is who he is. The problem is not likely to be the stats, its the chemistry. I'm ready for a season long roller coaster ride.
mxgardens
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:00 am    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
For some reason, despite all the crying and whining about it, I think so. I understand the reasons to be cautious about this move, but talent wise he was by far the best big man free agent. He is probably still way more talented than McGee, who was going to be our only big man at the 5 after the Cousins move. This was not about choosing Dwight over a great big man. It was making a move once Cousins was down. McGee has some ability, but McGee can not hold position and defend elite 5s. He can't really be a physical force, something that I think this team was looking for next to AD. They had Cousins pegged in for that role. So it came down to Noah vs Dwight. Through the work outs, probably Dwight looked so much better, that they had to go with him. Risks and all.

Dwight clearly has been told, you make trouble, you shift the focus from winning a title, you're gone. I think he knows this. This isn't 2012 where he thinks the franchise owes him the face of the franchise status as well as other things. He's coming in to be a role player to facilitate AD and Lebron. He isn't even a lock to start, he will have to earn it. I think this was a worthwhile move once Cousins went down. If we had Cousins, I would not have gone for this, and did not want to (when it was debated a few weeks ago). Different situation after the Cousins injury. We were facing going into the season with McGee and a D league level big. Anthony Davis is not re-signing with the Lakers if we make him play 5 regularly.

There is a big difference from Howard knowing not to be a distraction and actually being one. He doesn't wake up one day and suddenly say to himself "I'm going to be a disruptive immature teammate today".

I doubt there will be a defining incident that gets him cut. It is always a slow grind of small irritations, comments and antics that eventually lead to him being moved from team after team.

The Lakers will be dealing with this clown all year long. Even if in shape and remains healthy there will always be the other side of the scales weighing his value down. The issue will get even bigger when he inevitably has a few great games and the pressure mounts for him to return to his "role" and do the simple things and keep his mouth shut.

He won't be able to because he is who he is. The problem is not likely to be the stats, its the chemistry. I'm ready for a season long roller coaster ride.

This is definitely the most likely outcome. I think there is about a 10% chance of Howard's signing being a net positive when all is said and done.
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:17 am    Post subject:

Maybe not a disaster, but I think we'll get rid of him at some point during the season like we did Beasley because of his typical stupidity.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:27 am    Post subject:

LandsbergerRules wrote:
Maybe not a disaster, but I think we'll get rid of him at some point during the season like we did Beasley because of his typical stupidity.

I honestly do not see him doing anything so stupid or disruptive that gets him cut.

I’m expecting a season long LG debate of frustration of little negatives piling up vs the “it’s not that bad, quit whining” comments.
Citizen Arcane
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:30 am    Post subject:

LandsbergerRules wrote:

Remind me of the five years that Beasley was a top five player in the league

At least Dwight dominated at one point... the best scoring year Beasley had he shot worse than Lonzo.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:46 am    Post subject:

lak_repeat wrote:
Lets poll NBA GM's are they more afraid of the Lakers now considering the possibility Dwight may get 12 points 8 rebounds and 2 blks a games in 20 mins?

The GMs who had no interest in Howard?
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:51 am    Post subject:

troy wrote:
Better he's here than with the Clippers.

The Clippers weren’t interested. Don’t be afraid of the bogey man.
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:54 pm    Post subject:

Ziggy wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
K2 wrote:
kikanga wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
LakersRGolden wrote:
None of the above. Howard will contribute a little but not change the outlook for the year.

I don't know why all of you are in aggreeance with what was said. That's not true. He will definitely change the outlook of the year, along side AD. They are gonna be the real twin towers (not cousins and AD). They are gonna be a monster defensively, and rebounding, giving us an edge; and let's not act like he isn't still athletic, strong, and can't score. Him and AD are gonna be a handful down low, opening everything else up and AD can officially play pf fully and spread the floor.

Dwight turned Pau into a spot up shooter and got him benched. Dwight will just clog the lane for Lebron/AD. We needed a passing center more than this doofus. This will not end well.

Dwight didn't do anything to Pau anymore than Bynum did. MDA was the one who wasted most of the year trying to coach the team he wanted instead of the team he had. Things didn't change until the end of the year when he just accepted how the team was built and stopped trying to force his identity on them. And even aside from that, Pau was already in steep decline.
ElginBaylor
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:32 pm    Post subject:

Until I'm proven otherwise, I have to have hope that Dwight will be a net positive for this team. It's possible he could be the X factor we need. Plus, with all the crap going down with Boogie, maybe his injury was a blessing in disguise.
Goldenwest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:28 pm    Post subject:

Sounds like he has the ability to be a big help

Question really is can he take responsibility and be a team player for the whole season ?
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:29 pm    Post subject:

Pau's post-up efficiency had cratered that season, too. I remember a story about MDA giving Pau the uncomfortable stats about how bad he was in the post, and Pau having no defense.
SpaceCadet007
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:21 pm    Post subject:

I don't like the way the poll is worded, yes i think he will help us but he won't have much impact on whether we are a force or a disaster. If lebron James get injured it really doesnt matter how good dwight is. But he can definitely be a positive role player for us if he can stay healthy. I think it will work out and i could see him being back next year.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: