Lakers interested in Penny Hardaway?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cmonkee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 3:59 pm    Post subject:

Update: 1/19/07:

ESPN

Quote:
Checked in Thursday with Phil Jackson regarding the Lakers' interest in giving Penny Hardaway his comeback opportunity, something L.A. is still considering.

It doesn't sound as though a signing is happening this weekend, but Phil also says he hasn't ruled out a move in the near future. That makes sense given that Hardaway is Jackson's kind of guard (big and experienced), presumably a good fit in the triangle offense (with his passing and ballhandling ability) and "not that old" in Jackson's estimation (if Penny is indeed healed after some six years of knee problems).

The Lakers have had what Jackson terms "a couple observation opportunities" to evaluate the 35-year-old behind closed doors. Hardaway is working out daily, shuttling between three cities (Miami, Houston and his hometown of Memphis) and insists that he's far healthier than he was in either of the past two seasons, when he managed to appear in only 41 games.

The difference, Penny contends, is a knee operation he had last March -- his fifth -- to address a bone-spur problem that complicated the recovery from Hardaway's original microfracture surgery back in 2000. Seattle also gave him a tryout but, as covered here recently, ultimately passed at least in part because new Sonics vice chairman Lenny Wilkens has final approval on basketball matters and had no interest in Hardaway after coaching him in New York.

Chances are it won't happen, but Jackson, by contrast, has never shied away from reclamation projects, deftly handling players with worse locker-room reps than Hardaway's. Yet I couldn't get more than a chuckle out of him when I pointed out that putting Penny in the same backcourt with Kobe Bryant -- with Phil on the bench and Jerry Buss in the stands -- wouldn't exactly improve the Lakers' chilly relations with old pal Shaquille O'Neal.
LkrsOvrMia
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 4:03 pm    Post subject:

cmonkee wrote:
Update: 1/19/07:

ESPN

Quote:
Checked in Thursday with Phil Jackson regarding the Lakers' interest in giving Penny Hardaway his comeback opportunity, something L.A. is still considering.

It doesn't sound as though a signing is happening this weekend, but Phil also says he hasn't ruled out a move in the near future. That makes sense given that Hardaway is Jackson's kind of guard (big and experienced), presumably a good fit in the triangle offense (with his passing and ballhandling ability) and "not that old" in Jackson's estimation (if Penny is indeed healed after some six years of knee problems).

The Lakers have had what Jackson terms "a couple observation opportunities" to evaluate the 35-year-old behind closed doors. Hardaway is working out daily, shuttling between three cities (Miami, Houston and his hometown of Memphis) and insists that he's far healthier than he was in either of the past two seasons, when he managed to appear in only 41 games.

The difference, Penny contends, is a knee operation he had last March -- his fifth -- to address a bone-spur problem that complicated the recovery from Hardaway's original microfracture surgery back in 2000. Seattle also gave him a tryout but, as covered here recently, ultimately passed at least in part because new Sonics vice chairman Lenny Wilkens has final approval on basketball matters and had no interest in Hardaway after coaching him in New York.

Chances are it won't happen, but Jackson, by contrast, has never shied away from reclamation projects, deftly handling players with worse locker-room reps than Hardaway's. Yet I couldn't get more than a chuckle out of him when I pointed out that putting Penny in the same backcourt with Kobe Bryant -- with Phil on the bench and Jerry Buss in the stands -- wouldn't exactly improve the Lakers' chilly relations with old pal Shaquille O'Neal.

Good stuff.

Thanks and Go Lakers!

Go Lakers!
Klassix
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 4:42 pm    Post subject:

i'd rather have smush, and i can't stand the guy.
BigO_44
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:41 pm    Post subject:

Well if nothing else he will be the next of the long line of fading vets the lakers have taken a chance on. Either the harper/shaw variety or the Richmond, Tracey Murray, Mckie, Jim Jackson, Vlade(2nd time around) variety. My guess would be Penny would be closer to the second group then the first.
Trickster
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:45 pm    Post subject:

I think Penny will have about as much impact as Mckie and Shamu, I guess it wouldn't hurt. Penny on our squad, which is very deep btw, is sorta like TQ in all the Cash Money Millionaire video's, "What is he doing there, oh well who cares."
NOODLESTYLE
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:48 pm    Post subject:

BigO_44 wrote:
Well if nothing else he will be the next of the long line of fading vets the lakers have taken a chance on. Either the harper/shaw variety or the Richmond, Tracey Murray, Mckie, Jim Jackson, Vlade(2nd time around) variety. My guess would be Penny would be closer to the second group then the first.

Don't forget J.R. Rider!
rebirth
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:48 pm    Post subject:

i would rather have Penny over Mckie and williams. I could see penny having a Grant Hill like comeback.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4
Jump to: