Quasi-Official BOOGIE COUSINS Thread (Charges Dropped)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 59, 60, 61 ... 67, 68, 69  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:24 am    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
Bard207 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
ocho wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
So I thought there was utility in keeping Boogie's 3.5m deal as salary ballast, but if he has a plea/conviction, would a team even want to touch him even if they had no long term plans for him? And that would mean the Lakers have to hold on to him at least until 12/15 when summer FAs can be traded.

Doubt it's an issue as long as Boogie never suited up for the new team.

True. Just some teams just don't want the P.R.

Will Jeanie be able to take the negative P.R. or will she tell them to just waive him so the organization can close the books on the Cousins story?

She didn't seem to mind Lance or Kidd's past violence against women. The transgression here seems fairly tame in comparison, of course PR outrage is often an illogical beast. I think he stays.

Kidd and Lance did what they did in the past and those things are in the history book.

The Cousins story is front and center in the media with the Lakers getting mentioned.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:29 am    Post subject:

LaLaLakeShow wrote:
oaktown_dimond wrote:
I'll say something a little controversial. Yeah, boogie shouldn't have said it. And yes it's a threat... But he also didn't actually do anything. They're just words. People say stupid stuff when they're pissed.

And depending on when he said this, he was probably already ticked off about the ACL the day after his birthday.

I'd personally be fine with giving him another shot (no pun intended) next year.

Hmm. So if someone says something racist but just doesn’t do anything physical that’s alright with you? I mean, they’re just words, right??

Not the same. You're conflating two different situations to make one point.

A person being racist/saying racial things isn't illegal but it's an indictment of character. Being racist or saying racist things also does equate to "anything physical.

A person making threats is illegal but I think what he's arguing is that it's said in the heat of the moment and is often empty words met with no action and thus could in certain cases be overlooked as a mistake that deserves criticism for but not to be thrown the kitchen sink at for.

Also, we need to keep in mind that this was a misdemeanor. It's technically lower charge than a DUI.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:37 am    Post subject:

Quote:
A person making threats is illegal but I think what he's arguing is that it's said in the heat of the moment and is often empty words met with no action and thus could in certain cases be overlooked as a mistake that deserves criticism for but not to be thrown the kitchen sink at for.

Also, we need to keep in mind that this was a misdemeanor. It's technically lower charge than a DUI.

It is a lower charge, but it seems the NBA policy doesn't grade it on whether it's a misdemeanor or felony.

But you simply cannot make a threat like he did. He will likely plea this one as the evidence seems undeniable here. He said what he said.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:38 am    Post subject:

If the Lakers were able to release him due to some morals clause, would they still be on the hook for his salary?

Does it matter if the injury happened before the incident?
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:35 pm    Post subject:

They would still owe his salary
LaLaLakeShow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:38 pm    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
LaLaLakeShow wrote:
oaktown_dimond wrote:
I'll say something a little controversial. Yeah, boogie shouldn't have said it. And yes it's a threat... But he also didn't actually do anything. They're just words. People say stupid stuff when they're pissed.

And depending on when he said this, he was probably already ticked off about the ACL the day after his birthday.

I'd personally be fine with giving him another shot (no pun intended) next year.

Hmm. So if someone says something racist but just doesn’t do anything physical that’s alright with you? I mean, they’re just words, right??

Not the same. You're conflating two different situations to make one point.

A person being racist/saying racial things isn't illegal but it's an indictment of character. Being racist or saying racist things also does equate to "anything physical.

I get what you’re saying, for sure. Just poking a little fun at the poster for essentially saying words alone aren’t that big a deal.
AshesToAshes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 5:06 am    Post subject:

Welcome back D39

Hammett
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:22 pm    Post subject:

Man, this dude's career is O-V-E-R.
BigBallerBrand
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:34 pm    Post subject:

This injury was a blessing in disguise. We got a somewhat healthy and somewhat motivated Dwight out of this drama. I think Dwight will have a bigger impact than Boogie would have had.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:13 pm    Post subject:

BigBallerBrand wrote:
This injury was a blessing in disguise. We got a somewhat healthy and somewhat motivated Dwight out of this drama. I think Dwight will have a bigger impact than Boogie would have had.

It's a blessing in disguise if they use AD more at center, IMO. I have a very hard time seeing Dwight being able to match the potential impact of Cousins' passing and shooting (assuming he got the 3-pt touch back) with anything he does well.

You could also argue it's a blessing that it happened now rather than later when the options for a replacement could be more difficult, I suppose. I agree that Cousins career is effectively over.
paymonM
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:46 pm    Post subject:

oaktown_dimond wrote:

he committed an assault on his ex.
kevin61
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:40 pm    Post subject:

Time to say goodbye. He’s not playing, we don’t need the drama.
LAL1947
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:58 am    Post subject:

paymonM wrote:
oaktown_dimond wrote:

Who did what to whom?

assault
/əˈsɔːlt,əˈsɒlt/
verb
make a physical attack on.

threat
/θrɛt/
noun
a statement of an intention to inflict pain, injury, damage, or other hostile action on someone in retribution for something done or not done.
paymonM
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:50 pm    Post subject:

LAL1947 wrote:
paymonM wrote:
oaktown_dimond wrote:

Who did what to whom?

assault
/əˈsɔːlt,əˈsɒlt/
verb

threat
/θrɛt/
noun
a statement of an intention to inflict pain, injury, damage, or other hostile action on someone in retribution for something done or not done.

Threat is an assault.
gooner
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:54 pm    Post subject:

paymonM wrote:
LAL1947 wrote:
paymonM wrote:
oaktown_dimond wrote:

Who did what to whom?

assault
/əˈsɔːlt,əˈsɒlt/
verb

threat
/θrɛt/
noun

Threat is an assault.

No it is not.
PC 240.
An assault is an unlawful attempt, coupled with a present ability, to commit a violent injury on the person of another.
lar9149
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:29 pm    Post subject:

gooner wrote:
paymonM wrote:
LAL1947 wrote:
paymonM wrote:
oaktown_dimond wrote:

Who did what to whom?

assault
/əˈsɔːlt,əˈsɒlt/
verb

threat
/θrɛt/
noun

Threat is an assault.

No it is not.
PC 240.
An assault is an unlawful attempt, coupled with a present ability, to commit a violent injury on the person of another.

Unfortunately the latter is a true..I believe the law changed a few years ago where "intent" was separated from action.

But I believe the current law it is one of the same now.

I use the word "unfortunately" because I think this law is absurd. But I think also they changed the law because too many lawyers were using "intent" as a way to sort of distort the law in the courts.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:36 pm    Post subject:

gooner wrote:
paymonM wrote:
LAL1947 wrote:
paymonM wrote:
oaktown_dimond wrote:

Who did what to whom?

assault
/əˈsɔːlt,əˈsɒlt/
verb

threat
/θrɛt/
noun

Threat is an assault.

No it is not.
PC 240.

You guys are playing a wild game of semantics.

In some states, verbal threats can legally constitute assault; in other states, only physical acts are considered to be assault.

In California, threatening someone with physical harm is not consider assault. However, it is a crime called "criminal threat." It can be either a misdemeanor or felony.

No matter how you slice it, threatening someone will bodily harm is a crime; different states simply give the crime a different classification.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:46 pm    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:
If the Lakers were able to release him due to some morals clause, would they still be on the hook for his salary?

Theoretically, they could get out of paying him, but it's unlikely.

A contract can be voided if a player "Fails, refuses, or neglects to conform his personal conduct to standards of good citizenship, good moral character (defined as not engaging in acts of moral turpitude, whether or not these acts constitute a crime), and good sportsmanship."

That said, the moral turpitude clause has never been successfully applied.

The Warriors tried to apply it after Latrell Sprewell choked his coach, but it was overturned in arbitration.
Karmaloop
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:10 pm    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:

Does it matter if the injury happened before the incident?

They're not going to do that.
LAL1947
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:56 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
gooner wrote:
paymonM wrote:
LAL1947 wrote:
paymonM wrote:
oaktown_dimond wrote:

Who did what to whom?

assault
/əˈsɔːlt,əˈsɒlt/
verb

threat
/θrɛt/
noun

Threat is an assault.

No it is not.
PC 240.

Since specificity is the name of this game, I have to point out it is not "us guys" who are playing a wild game of semantics... only one guy is (or gal). Gooner and I are merely pointing it out.

activeverb wrote:

In some states, verbal threats can legally constitute assault

Could you please name one of these states? I ask only out of curiosity, not to be factitious.

activeverb wrote:
No matter how you slice it, threatening someone will bodily harm is a crime; different states simply give the crime a different classification.

Sure, it is a crime... but different states giving it a different classification doesn't mean it can be called a completely different word/crime.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:27 am    Post subject:

LAL1947 wrote:
paymonM wrote:
oaktown_dimond wrote:

Who did what to whom?

assault
/əˈsɔːlt,əˈsɒlt/
verb

threat
/θrɛt/
noun

You can't use generic Webster's dictionary definitions to define criminal acts, as you can find those specifically defined by statute. So if you look up Alabama's criminal statutes, you'll find the relevant definitions there.
Freddie Buckets
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:19 am    Post subject:

Quote:
The Los Angeles Lakers have applied for a $1.75M disabled player exception from the NBA for their projected season-ending injury to DeMarcus Cousins.

https://www.silverscreenandroll.com/2019/9/9/20856909/lakers-apply-disabled-player-exception-demarcus-cousins-extra-roster-spot-buyout-andre-iguodala
Metro2Staples
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:24 am    Post subject:

D Wade thread incoming!!
gooner
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:34 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
gooner wrote:
paymonM wrote:
LAL1947 wrote:
paymonM wrote:
oaktown_dimond wrote:

Who did what to whom?

assault
/əˈsɔːlt,əˈsɒlt/
verb

threat
/θrɛt/
noun

Threat is an assault.

No it is not.
PC 240.

In some states, verbal threats can legally constitute assault; in other states, only physical acts are considered to be assault.

In California, threatening someone with physical harm is not consider assault. However, it is a crime called "criminal threat." It can be either a misdemeanor or felony.

The latter part of your comment is essentially correct. The first part, if directed at me, is not. I assumed (perhaps incorrectly) that we were talking about California Law. And I quoted the relevant Penal Code section. Understanding and rightly interpreting words used in legal language is not "playing a wild game of semantics."
LAL1947
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:02 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
LAL1947 wrote:
paymonM wrote:
oaktown_dimond wrote:

Who did what to whom?

assault
/əˈsɔːlt,əˈsɒlt/
verb

threat
/θrɛt/
noun

You can't use generic Webster's dictionary definitions to define criminal acts, as you can find those specifically defined by statute. So if you look up Alabama's criminal statutes, you'll find the relevant definitions there.

What the heck kinda funky lawyer are you man? Please do not confuse words and the meaning of words, whether from a spoken perspective or a legal one. A verbal threat made over the telephone is not an assault. The only time a verbal threat COULD be considered an assault is IF the person is making the threat to you IN PERSON, and WHILE wielding a weapon.... for example, waving a bat/knife in your face or holding a gun to your head.

If you feel otherwise, give us proof... i.e., a proper link to wide spread examples. If Alabama is the only example you have... then they are the exception and not the norm... making your response unnecessary.

Last edited by LAL1947 on Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:15 am; edited 2 times in total
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 59, 60, 61 ... 67, 68, 69  Next
Page 60 of 69
Jump to: