Kobe Bean Bryant on “load management”
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CabinCreek44
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:18 pm    Post subject: Kobe Bean Bryant on “load management”

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/lakers-great-kobe-bryant-speaks-out-against-load-management-in-the-nba-its-crazy/
LaLaLakeShow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:20 pm    Post subject:

PREACH!!
Gwyn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:39 pm    Post subject:

Yeah that is some serious (bleep) (bleep).

Glad he spoke out about that.

God bless Kobe Bean Bryant and Gianna Maria Onore Bryant.
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:13 am    Post subject:

KOBE
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:26 am    Post subject:

I know there will be plenty of people who disagree but I personally agree with every single word he said. Especially guys that are getting 30 million a year and are the faces of there franchise, unless it's something serious it's def. a bad look to me to sit. Many people have to buy the big tickets way in advance so to find out you dropped all that money on a "load management" game would be pretty disheartening.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:51 am    Post subject:

I gently disagree because I think the NBA season is too long, but I also love this.
AshesToAshes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:02 am    Post subject:

Kobe: "i'll give you my load to manage"
la4win
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:17 am    Post subject:

I know the one and only time I got to watch Kobe, if he hadn’t played for load management, I would have been pretty pissed. Thank you Kobe for not cheating on my experience.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:32 am    Post subject:

The issue is coaching, IMO.
If a coach has a great player, and you're on a good/great team. You can easily have him play every game he is healthy, but reduce minutes in a way where he is fresh. For instance if you know it's the 3rd game in 4 nights, you will not play him more than X (say 30?) minutes that night. No matter what the score is.

This is what elite coaches do, or coaches that have been able to repeat, 3 peat, etc.

This is what held Pop back many years, until he learned the trick of the trade from Phil.

Kobe, had the luxury of having a great coach who would do that for him. When he did not, and he had someone like D'Antoni, we all saw what happened. So while I agree with Kobe in principle, I also think it is on the FO, and it is on the player to have that trust in their coach. Some coaches don't know how to manage a player through the season. D'Antoni is the best example. He literally ran Kobe into the ground that season because he wanted to avoid the embarrassment of missing the playoffs.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
€H£M£$TR¥
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:40 am    Post subject:

MAMBA FOREVER
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:52 am    Post subject:

I appreciate his attitude, but it's hard to reconcile this with all of the people who blame his injuries on coaches who overplayed him.
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:24 am    Post subject:

Today's league is soft
LaLaLakeShow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:12 am    Post subject:

hype wrote:
I know there will be plenty of people who disagree but I personally agree with every single word he said. Especially guys that are getting 30 million a year and are the faces of there franchise, unless it's something serious it's def. a bad look to me to sit. Many people have to buy the big tickets way in advance so to find out you dropped all that money on a "load management" game would be pretty disheartening.

👍
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:14 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
I appreciate his attitude, but it's hard to reconcile this with all of the people who blame his injuries on coaches who overplayed him.

If MDA could figure out how to get + minutes with Kobe on the bench. Kobe wouldn't have played 45+ MPG his final 7 games leading up to the achilles tear (at age 34, his 17th season in the league). People can say Pau and Dwight were washed. But they both made an all star team after they left. So they were far from washed. MDA just never learned how to coach ball dominant bigs. Jim should've never hired him for that team. Phil was obviously the better choice.

Last edited by kikanga on Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:18 am; edited 2 times in total
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:16 am    Post subject:

Feel like people didn't read that the Baxter Holmes series on AAU destroying the knees of young players. Kobe himself spoke out on this saying he might have been lucky getting to grow up in Italy, where he didn't play basketball year round and played soccer as well, the two things doctors today advocate the most (don't specialize, play other sports). Is it any wonder why we see so many torn ACLs now?

Check out this list from 2014: guys who tore their ACL in the NBA.

https://twitter.com/ACLrecoveryCLUB/status/469623707803992064

The first 35 names come over a 30-year span. That's like 1 ACL injury a year.

The next 50 come over a 14-year span, starting in 2000, which is when we're seeing our first bumper crop of AAU guys.

This isn't about guys not being "tough." They're entering the NBA with the knees of a 30-something-year-old. You have a finite number of miles for this game and they're entering the NBA with far more tread than Kobe did and all the old school guys decrying the "soft" players of today. Charles Barkely would've barely lasted 8 or 9 seasons with his conditioning if he had all those AAU miles. Jalen Rose wouldn't have lasted long to even make enough a name for himself to be a commentator that gets to (bleep) on younger guys.

Although nothing beats the internet commentator guys saying NBA players today are soft. LMAO. You guys probably throw your backs out getting off the couch and you're complaining about world class athletes not playing enough minutes.
LaLaLakeShow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:29 am    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
Feel like people didn't read that the Baxter Holmes series on AAU destroying the knees of young players. Kobe himself spoke out on this saying he might have been lucky getting to grow up in Italy, where he didn't play basketball year round and played soccer as well, the two things doctors today advocate the most (don't specialize, play other sports). Is it any wonder why we see so many torn ACLs now?

The next 50 come over a 14-year span, starting in 2000, which is when we're seeing our first bumper crop of AAU guys.

This isn't about guys not being "tough." They're entering the NBA with the knees of a 30-something-year-old. You have a finite number of miles for this game and they're entering the NBA with far more tread than Kobe did and all the old school guys decrying the "soft" players of today. Charles Barkely would've barely lasted 8 or 9 seasons with his conditioning if he had all those AAU miles. Jalen Rose wouldn't have lasted long to even make enough a name for himself to be a commentator that gets to (bleep) on younger guys.

Although nothing beats the internet commentator guys saying NBA players today are soft. LMAO. You guys probably throw your backs out getting off the couch and you're complaining about world class athletes not playing enough minutes.

It’s not about players being soft. It’s about doing your job. I agree with what Kobe said. If you’re not actually injured you should play for the fans who spend their money to get you those big paychecks. Pretty simple
TheBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:44 am    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
The next 50 come over a 14-year span, starting in 2000, which is when we're seeing our first bumper crop of AAU guys. Although nothing beats the internet commentator guys saying NBA players today are soft. LMAO. You guys probably throw your backs out getting off the couch and you're complaining about world class athletes not playing enough minutes.

Nail, meet head.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:46 am    Post subject:

LaLaLakeShow wrote:
pjiddy wrote:

It’s not about players being soft. It’s about doing your job. I agree with what Kobe said. If you’re not actually injured you should play for the fans who spend their money to get you those big paychecks. Pretty simple

It is corporations that spend their money to get players big paychecks, ticket sales is a small part of revenue. Load management players typically play the big TV games, the people paying big money get what they paid for. Personally I last paid for a Laker game in 2000 when the team mailed in their effort and lost to the Hawks. There was no load management, just piss poor effort. As for today, the league needs to keep up with scientific advancements. Some teams do and it seems to pay off for them.
TheBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:47 am    Post subject:

The correct answer here is to reduce the length of the season. Then you'll see guys play every game, play harder because the games will mean more, and less injuries ruining the postseason. The end result is a better overall product delivered to the fans. But the NBA won't do that because they lose revenue, though people have laid out plenty of ways they could make up for it with the play-in tournament for the last two seeds, among other ideas.

So blame the league, not the players and coahces who are just trying to do the smart thing to maximize their careers and championship chances, is my thinking.
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:52 am    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:

Seems like a lot of the load management should be done during their AAU years.
LaLaLakeShow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:56 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
LaLaLakeShow wrote:
pjiddy wrote:

It is corporations that spend their money to get players big paychecks, ticket sales is a small part of revenue. Load management players typically play the big TV games, the people paying big money get what they paid for. Personally I last paid for a Laker game in 2000 when the team mailed in their effort and lost to the Hawks. There was no load management, just piss poor effort. As for today, the league needs to keep up with scientific advancements. Some teams do and it seems to pay off for them.

Ehh. Regardless, without our support of their product they have no job. I believe in having a duty to the fans if you’re an athlete. Still seems pretty simple to me.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:14 am    Post subject:

When that duty includes playing against the last place team in January but being unable to play in the playoffs you aren’t doing the fans any favors. The science is out there, fans accept that the world isn’t flat, maybe they should accept that rest when the body reaches a breaking point is a good thing.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:38 am    Post subject:

Don't see the problem with it. I bet Raptor fans felt just fine with load management during their parade.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:44 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Ehh. Regardless, without our support of their product they have no job. I believe in having a duty to the fans if you’re an athlete. Still seems pretty simple to me.

Unless fans like you are willing to boycott the sport over this en masse (and you're not) it's a moot point.
LaLaLakeShow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:48 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Quote:

Unless fans like you are willing to boycott the sport over this en masse (and you're not) it's a moot point.

No it isn’t. It’s a philosophical one
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8
Jump to: