Kobe Bean Bryant on “load management”
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 4:02 pm    Post subject:

LaLaLakeShow wrote:
cathy78 wrote:
Load management is not sitting out games. That would be called breaking rhythm. Load management would be to not play more minutes than the players body can support. Load management would be distributing practice and game minutes in an optimal way. Load management would be working on skill instead of pushing weight....

So yes, Kobe is right. Sitting out games as a healthy player and goofing around on the sideline is not load management and shouldn't happen. I actually think it is more being lazy.

It’s one thing to sit out for certain things as precaution or something serious like a concussion, etc.

No one is saying to be barbaric, stupid or have a caveman mentality.

What is not okay imo is milking it so you get 15-20 games off. People pay hard earned money to see someone getting paid millions. Just like the NCAA is wrong for not paying athletes, the professional athletes are wrong for gaming the system.

Kobe is right.
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 4:25 pm    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
LaLaLakeShow wrote:
cathy78 wrote:
Load management is not sitting out games. That would be called breaking rhythm. Load management would be to not play more minutes than the players body can support. Load management would be distributing practice and game minutes in an optimal way. Load management would be working on skill instead of pushing weight....

So yes, Kobe is right. Sitting out games as a healthy player and goofing around on the sideline is not load management and shouldn't happen. I actually think it is more being lazy.

It’s one thing to sit out for certain things as precaution or something serious like a concussion, etc.

No one is saying to be barbaric, stupid or have a caveman mentality.

What is not okay imo is milking it so you get 15-20 games off. People pay hard earned money to see someone getting paid millions. Just like the NCAA is wrong for not paying athletes, the professional athletes are wrong for gaming the system.

Kobe is right.

Exactly how I see it too.. Most people love to take things to either extreme to make there opinion seem stronger but with load management it's somewhere in the middle imo and is more about common sense then driving players into the ground playing 40+ minutes, playing through injuries or the other side where guys are sitting 20 games.

Someone like Leonard is a different story since he has legit health issues and it showed heavily in the playoffs last season. He was a shell of himself the final couple games of the Finals when he played heavy minutes more consistently.
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:16 pm    Post subject:

cathy78 wrote:

Players who like to sit out entire games instead of limiting their minutes are probably worried about their stats being affected. Some selfish motivations there imo.
LaLaLakeShow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:21 pm    Post subject:

LandsbergerRules wrote:
cathy78 wrote:

Players who like to sit out entire games instead of limiting their minutes are probably worried about their stats being affected. Some selfish motivations there imo.

Hmm. I hadn’t considered that angle
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:54 pm    Post subject:

cathy78 wrote:
Load management is not sitting out games. That would be called breaking rhythm. Load management would be to not play more minutes than the players body can support. Load management would be distributing practice and game minutes in an optimal way.

I am not sure where you came up with the notion that sitting out a game is not load management. That contradicts what I've read in both medical journals and the lay press.

I googled "breaking rhythm" and "load management" as well as "breaking rhythm" and "NBA" and nothing came up. If you have some source, I am happy to be corrected.

This is my understanding:

Broadly speaking, load management is reducing the amount of training and/or competition for an athlete to help them recover faster and perform more efficiently in the long run.

Load management can take many forms: you could reduce an athlete's minutes, you could have him sit out games, you can have him reduce training or practice time.

For obvious reason, sitting out entire games is the aspect of load management that gets the most attention. (No one much cares if a player takes off practices or plays fewer minutes).

The NBA has a Players Resting Policy. Before a team can sit a player for an entire game for load management reasons, they need to provide medical documentation to the league.

The league considers things like a player's health and health history in approving load management strategies like a player not appearing in back-to-back games.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:58 pm    Post subject:

Load management is being embraced by other sports. The Rams didn’t play starters in the preseason, California passed a law for high school and youth football that limits full contact in practices to 20 minutes a week. As science evolves, the smart teams evolve with it.
LAL1947
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:27 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Load management is being embraced by other sports. The Rams didn’t play starters in the preseason, California passed a law for high school and youth football that limits full contact in practices to 20 minutes a week. As science evolves, the smart teams evolve with it.

This is a good point. My only problem with this post is... you say this when it behooves you... all while simultaneously stirring in other threads about AD being soft because he wants to "load manage" his minutes at Center.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:13 pm    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
I gently disagree because I think the NBA season is too long, but I also love this.
Gentle Reminder: Players want more money, hence ALL parties agreed to more games.

The season has been 82 games for decades and you have the TOP players (LBJ and Kobe) playing the vast majority of games PLUS deep into the playoffs.

When players push and management agree and fans don’t complain - load management will be the reality

If management has a money-back guarantee that preselected players will be on the court and available refunds if they are not - that would be placing the fans as the top priority

Since I am part of the millions of people that watch every game on TV, this is not a big issue but a key factor why I’m not spending $$$$$$$ just to realize that some of the stars decided not to play - though it would be spoken as management decision
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:48 pm    Post subject:

A Mad Chinaman wrote:
Since I am part of the millions of people that watch every game on TV, this is not a big issue but a key factor why I’m not spending $$$$$$$ just to realize that some of the stars decided not to play - though it would be spoken as management decision

Excellent point. The people watching on TV don’t care as much and will still for the most part watch.

It will eventually become like concerts imo. Fans aren’t likely to pay for an event where the top entertainer is not performing.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:25 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:

I don't remember the starters playing much in preseason anyways, even before the Rams went full bore with the idea. Preseason was always a time to see which players will make the full season roster, who makes the practice squad and who gets cut. This is why most casual fans don't really get preseason, yes it is kind of boring since the games don't matter but for the players trying to get a career in pro football its very important to them.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:28 am    Post subject:

LAL1947 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

This is a good point. My only problem with this post is... you say this when it behooves you... all while simultaneously stirring in other threads about AD being soft because he wants to "load manage" his minutes at Center.

I would call any player soft who doesn’t want to play their best position because they are afraid that they will get hurt. And it isn’t meant as an insult.
24Legend007
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:19 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:

How about some load management for the average "hard" working class American. Not to say athletes don't deal with alot, that's why they get paid millions. You still have to go to work everyday. I'm not even against this but I do understand looking at it from a fans perspective as well. Basketball tickets aren't cheap, that's part of how the athlete gets the millions, so we can't sit here and say we see no obligation.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:42 am    Post subject:

I get weekends off with sick days and vacation. My work schedule has a bunch of load management built in.
LaLaLakeShow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:51 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
I get weekends off with sick days and vacation. My work schedule has a bunch of load management built in.

I don’t imagine the company which employs you has invested as much money in you as the top players in the league. Not sure how this is comparable.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:39 pm    Post subject:

LaLaLakeShow wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

I don’t imagine the company which employs you has invested as much money in you as the top players in the league. Not sure how this is comparable.

Wouldn't the days that players don't play count as their weekends? Wouldn't injuries count as sick days? Wouldn't vacation be their six month off-season? (Or four if they make the finals.)

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
ReaListik
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:32 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
LaLaLakeShow wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Wouldn't the days that players don't play count as their weekends? Wouldn't injuries count as sick days? Wouldn't vacation be their six month off-season? (Or four if they make the finals.)

Yes.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:36 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:

You should spend that time off proving you're tough.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:37 pm    Post subject:

LaLaLakeShow wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

I’m pretty sure that you didn’t read the post I responded to. Unless you believe that the average Joe makes as much as the top players in the league.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:38 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
LaLaLakeShow wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

If you believe that players don’t work on their games on off days or offseason. They do.
LAL1947
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:53 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
LAL1947 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

I would call any player soft who doesn’t want to play their best position because they are afraid that they will get hurt. And it isn’t meant as an insult.

With regards to AD, I guess we can agree to disagree. You say tuh-may-toh, I say tuh-mah-toh... you say soft, I say smart.
LaLaLakeShow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:47 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
LaLaLakeShow wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

If you believe that players don’t work on their games on off days or offseason. They do.

But that would be their choice, yes? Load management on players’ time
24Legend007
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:15 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:

Good point, I get it. Maybe put a limit on games for load management, they can be like sick days. Vacation no, they all can vacation at the beginning of the summer and much earlier for most.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 3:27 pm    Post subject:

LAL1947 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
LAL1947 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

With regards to AD, I guess we can agree to disagree. You say tuh-may-toh, I say tuh-mah-toh... you say soft, I say smart.

The trouble with "soft" is it's a vague, loaded word that tends to distract from a conversation rather than focus it.

If AD's main point is that he doesn't want to play center to reduce wear on his post so he plays better, is in better condition for the playoffs, and reduces the chance of injury and increases the chance of extending his career, I would call that smart.

An athlete's body is his career and his has to consider the short-term and long-term.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:24 pm    Post subject:

Baseball has been embracing load management for decades.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:09 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
LaLaLakeShow wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

When people try to analogize between the jobs of professional athletes and office workers, it usually falls flat because they are so different.

The best example I can think of load management outside sports is truck drivers.

Many trucks now come with sensors and computer programs that monitor drivers behavior to determine if their actions show they are overly tired and might cause an accident as a result. In that case, the trucks will shut down for a length of time so they can rest.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8
Jump to: