Should the Lakers waive DeMarcus Cousins?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should the Lakers waive DeMarcus Cousins?
Yes
37%
 37%  [ 13 ]
No
62%
 62%  [ 22 ]
Total Votes : 35

CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:41 am    Post subject: Should the Lakers waive DeMarcus Cousins?

Or should we wait to see if he's healthy for the playoffs and potentially have a Dwight/Cousins/McGee trio?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:46 am    Post subject:

No. Honor the contract. This franchise isn’t petty like other franchises. I remember when Vladimir Radmanovic had just signed a full mid-level exception contract, then broke his leg snowboarding in Utah (during the offseason). The Lakers could have voided his contract, but they did not, instead they honored his contract and he became a key member of the 2008 team that made the finals against the Celtics. I feel like it would be extremely shortsighted to waive Cousins, in fact, it could even backfire, since he was actively recruited by Rondo and Davis whom are leaders on the team.
DLaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:58 am    Post subject:

JUST-MING wrote:
No. Honor the contract. This franchise isn’t petty like other franchises. I remember when Vladimir Radmanovic had just signed a full mid-level exception contract, then broke his leg snowboarding in Utah (during the offseason). The Lakers could have voided his contract, but they did not, instead they honored his contract and he became a key member of the 2008 team that made the finals against the Celtics. I feel like it would be extremely shortsighted to waive Cousins, in fact, it could even backfire, since he was actively recruited by Rondo and Davis whom are leaders on the team.

I agree, cutting DC would backfire in the media. I for once would ask the NBA for another injury spot to replace him in the lineup. Keeping him will show honor specially to AD that we take care of our players.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:00 am    Post subject:

My initial response is they should absolutely waive him. Never liked the signing from both a physical but especially a behavioral standpoint. Overdue IMO.

Only way I can even consider it is if the Lakers can get a roster spot back by injury exemption and shelve Cousins for the season. He can rehab at the facility and be buddies if needed. But even then I have serious concerns with this knucklehead being anywhere near the locker room and players.

If Davis signing is so fickle and based on how they treat Cousins they are screwed anyways. He and Klutch are looking for a reason to leave at that point.
HighlanderFil
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:10 am    Post subject:

Wouldn't waive him because of the injury, but if the domestic abuse charges end up sticking, I would absolutely get rid. There's got to be some kind of morality clause in his contract, no?
oaktown_dimond
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:15 am    Post subject:

If Davis leaves after now much the Lakers gave up for him... And him DEMANDING a trade to the Lakers, rich paul will look like a complete scumbag to the rest of the league.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:38 am    Post subject:

oaktown_dimond wrote:
If Davis leaves after now much the Lakers gave up for him... And him DEMANDING a trade to the Lakers, rich paul will look like a complete scumbag to the rest of the league.

So what? Lakers still screwed and in a rebuild with an aging and likely disinterested James.

Davis is in another city and with the apologists supporting Davis/Klutch decision because the likely spin would be focused on how dysfunctional the Lakers are not Davis or Paul. Short memories and news cycles would not effect them at all. Especially because it is the Lakers. Most fans and media would be chuckling instead of judging the Lakers screwing.

Look no further then the general acceptance and even embracing of Howard by many Laker fans.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:08 am    Post subject:

If there is someone available for that roster spot. It was a horrible move but why eat his overpaid contract if it isn’t necessary.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:49 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
If there is someone available for that roster spot. It was a horrible move but why eat his overpaid contract if it isn’t necessary.

Why was it a horrible move?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:53 am    Post subject:

Nah no need to at this point.
cital
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:45 am    Post subject:

I agree with those saying no need to at this point... if Iguodala becomes available and decides he wants to come here (or someone else after the trade deadline) we would have to decide between Cousins and presumably Daniels (we are guard heavy).
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:00 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Really? Using cap space on a guy who can’t play cannot he considered a positive. We could have signed a guy who wasn’t injured, that would be a good move.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:20 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Really? Using cap space on a guy who can’t play cannot he considered a positive. We could have signed a guy who wasn’t injured, that would be a good move.

Sure you’re not hurt that Cousins didn’t take that long term contract to stay in NOLA, even after the Achilles? That’s okay, you got to see Randle flourish offensively and disappear defensively for a season.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:26 am    Post subject:

oaktown_dimond wrote:

Like all free agents, Davis will be free to go wherever he chooses next season. The Lakers didn’t have to trade for him. The Lakers didn’t have to part with so many young players. Those are the choices they’ve made. Just like it was your choice to type “demanding” in all caps. Rich Paul only did what his client asked him to do. That’s his job, just like it was Pelinka’s job to cater to every Kobe demand.
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:28 am    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
My initial response is they should absolutely waive him. Never liked the signing from both a physical but especially a behavioral standpoint. Overdue IMO.

Only way I can even consider it is if the Lakers can get a roster spot back by injury exemption and shelve Cousins for the season. He can rehab at the facility and be buddies if needed. But even then I have serious concerns with this knucklehead being anywhere near the locker room and players.

If Davis signing is so fickle and based on how they treat Cousins they are screwed anyways. He and Klutch are looking for a reason to leave at that point.

Several other things would need to happen before they would get an allowance/approval for an additional roster slot.
laker50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:43 am    Post subject:

Would only waive Cousins if a player like Iggy or a good defensive SF becomes available. And that player agrees beforehand to join the team.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:08 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

But he hadn't torn his ACL when we signed him... The guy averaged 16.3 points and 8.2 rebounds for Golden State in the regular season despite it being his first year back from the Achilles rupture. Getting him for $3.5 million was a steal. Even if he only produced at his 7.6 PPG and 4.9 RPG playoff level after the quadriceps injury, that's still pretty good value.

greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:26 am    Post subject:

laker50 wrote:
Would only waive Cousins if a player like Iggy or a good defensive SF becomes available. And that player agrees beforehand to join the team.

Agreed, plus AD likes him. We can't afford to rock that boat.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: Should the Lakers waive DeMarcus Cousins?

CandyCanes wrote:
Or should we wait to see if he's healthy for the playoffs and potentially have a Dwight/Cousins/McGee trio?

There is no reason to waive him now if we don't have anyone we want to sign.

I would basically treat him as an open roster spot to use if and when needed.

If someone we want becomes available, I see no problem with waiving him. Unlike what someone else in this thread said, we would still be honoring his contract because we would pay him in full.

The odds of him playing this year are very small, and I wouldn't hang onto him based on the unlikely hope he'd be ready if we made a deep playoff run.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:31 am    Post subject:

Bard207 wrote:

Several other things would need to happen before they would get an allowance/approval for an additional roster slot.

The NBA virtually never gives an extra roster spot for an injured player. (Even if you get an Injured Player Exception, it doesn't come with an extra spot.) I can't imagine the league will give us one for a guy who was signed to a one-year contract who we could easily waive and who has a slight potential for making it back this year.
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:54 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Bard207 wrote:

The NBA virtually never gives an extra roster spot for an injured player. (Even if you get an Injured Player Exception, it doesn't come with an extra spot.) I can't imagine the league will give us one for a guy who was signed to a one-year contract who we could easily waive and who has a slight potential for making it back this year.

I didn't say that the NBA would give an extra roster spot for an injured player.

Quote:

79. What roster size limits exist? What is the Inactive List? What is Injured Reserve? Do any other such lists exist?

Quote:

Normally an NBA team can have a maximum of 15 players on its roster during a season (and up to 201 during the offseason, starting on the day after the team's season ends). A team normally has 12 or 13 players on its Active List, who are eligible to play in games, and can have as few as 11 for up to two weeks at a time. Any remaining players must be on the team's Inactive List, and are ineligible to play in games. Teams temporarily can have four players on their Inactive List (bringing their roster size to 16) with league approval in the event of a hardship2.

...and this part mentions the several other things that would need to happen to get an allowance/approval for an extra roster slot/spot.

Quote:

2 A hardship can be deemed to exist when a team has four players who are sick or injured and have missed at least three regular season games, and will continue to be unable to play. If a hardship is granted, the hardship ends when one of the sick or injured players is physically able to resume playing. The team must then release player(s) to get back to the roster limit, although teams have the option to retain the hardship player and release a different player to get back to the limit.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:07 pm    Post subject:

Bard207 wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Bard207 wrote:

I didn't say that the NBA would give an extra roster spot for an injured player.

Quote:

79. What roster size limits exist? What is the Inactive List? What is Injured Reserve? Do any other such lists exist?

Quote:

Normally an NBA team can have a maximum of 15 players on its roster during a season (and up to 201 during the offseason, starting on the day after the team's season ends). A team normally has 12 or 13 players on its Active List, who are eligible to play in games, and can have as few as 11 for up to two weeks at a time. Any remaining players must be on the team's Inactive List, and are ineligible to play in games. Teams temporarily can have four players on their Inactive List (bringing their roster size to 16) with league approval in the event of a hardship2.

...and this part mentions the several other things that would need to happen to get an allowance/approval for an extra roster slot/spot.

Quote:

2 A hardship can be deemed to exist when a team has four players who are sick or injured and have missed at least three regular season games, and will continue to be unable to play. If a hardship is granted, the hardship ends when one of the sick or injured players is physically able to resume playing. The team must then release player(s) to get back to the roster limit, although teams have the option to retain the hardship player and release a different player to get back to the limit.

Thanks for explaining the specifics. Then cut him IMO.

Open the spot for a player that contribute. I confident one will become available at some point. Remove Cousins from the equation before his next dumbass comment or action taints the Laker reputation again.

Davis can invite his buddy over for dinner if he misses him too much.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:07 pm    Post subject:

I’m surprised people want to keep Cousins after he threatened to murder his ex.
calistrtballr
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:27 pm    Post subject:

Would waive for melo
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:30 pm    Post subject:

Steve007 wrote:
I’m surprised people want to keep Cousins after he threatened to murder his ex.

When I think my life has hit a low spot, I'm always grateful someone married my ex (I'm sure it's mutual); it just brings on a smile.

Cousins needs to grow up on someone else's dime.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: