Should the Lakers waive DeMarcus Cousins?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should the Lakers waive DeMarcus Cousins?
Yes
37%
 37%  [ 13 ]
No
62%
 62%  [ 22 ]
Total Votes : 35

MvP24
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:54 pm    Post subject:

Nah, I think he'll be a valuable to the team when he's back.
mde24
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:57 pm    Post subject:

The odds are great that Cousins won't Play next season, play offs or not. I would not waive him just to hold another stick over Howard's head. I remind him how fast he healed during his stay at GS. Overall though I believe it's in our best interest to honor the contract. The Howard stuff, I haven't forgiven him for his first stint with us, so I would happily threaten him with anything to keep him in line. I just don't believe his story that suddenly he grew up.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:13 pm    Post subject:

MvP24 wrote:
Nah, I think he'll be a valuable to the team when he's back.

His value is making this a pleasant environment for AD who has the power to single-handedly kneecap this franchise for the next 5-10 years next season if he chooses to leave. Is that really worth opening up a spot for some scrub off the G-League?
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:31 am    Post subject:

JUST-MING wrote:
No. Honor the contract. This franchise isn’t petty like other franchises. I remember when Vladimir Radmanovic had just signed a full mid-level exception contract, then broke his leg snowboarding in Utah (during the offseason). The Lakers could have voided his contract, but they did not, instead they honored his contract and he became a key member of the 2008 team that made the finals against the Celtics. I feel like it would be extremely shortsighted to waive Cousins, in fact, it could even backfire, since he was actively recruited by Rondo and Davis whom are leaders on the team.

They would be by paying him his full deal.

If Iggy became available, would you still want to keep Boogie's roster hold? Otherwise you are cutting players who are healthy instead. I wouldn't just cut him now without having a player worth taking up that roster spot. Plus, we could use his 3.5m deal as trade ballast.

I don't think Boogie will be back for the playoffs. I don't think he should play at all this year as he's had an Achilles/quad/ACL injury all within the span of 2 years.
lar9149
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:14 am    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
Bard207 wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Bard207 wrote:
My initial response is they should absolutely waive him. Never liked the signing from both a physical but especially a behavioral standpoint. Overdue IMO.

Only way I can even consider it is if the Lakers can get a roster spot back by injury exemption and shelve Cousins for the season. He can rehab at the facility and be buddies if needed. But even then I have serious concerns with this knucklehead being anywhere near the locker room and players.

If Davis signing is so fickle and based on how they treat Cousins they are screwed anyways. He and Klutch are looking for a reason to leave at that point.

Several other things would need to happen before they would get an allowance/approval for an additional roster slot.

The NBA virtually never gives an extra roster spot for an injured player. (Even if you get an Injured Player Exception, it doesn't come with an extra spot.) I can't imagine the league will give us one for a guy who was signed to a one-year contract who we could easily waive and who has a slight potential for making it back this year.

I didn't say that the NBA would give an extra roster spot for an injured player.

Quote:

Several other things would need to happen before they would get an allowance/approval for an additional roster slot.

79. What roster size limits exist? What is the Inactive List? What is Injured Reserve? Do any other such lists exist?

Quote:

Normally an NBA team can have a maximum of 15 players on its roster during a season (and up to 201 during the offseason, starting on the day after the team's season ends). A team normally has 12 or 13 players on its Active List, who are eligible to play in games, and can have as few as 11 for up to two weeks at a time. Any remaining players must be on the team's Inactive List, and are ineligible to play in games. Teams temporarily can have four players on their Inactive List (bringing their roster size to 16) with league approval in the event of a hardship2.

...and this part mentions the several other things that would need to happen to get an allowance/approval for an extra roster slot/spot.

Quote:

2 A hardship can be deemed to exist when a team has four players who are sick or injured and have missed at least three regular season games, and will continue to be unable to play. If a hardship is granted, the hardship ends when one of the sick or injured players is physically able to resume playing. The team must then release player(s) to get back to the roster limit, although teams have the option to retain the hardship player and release a different player to get back to the limit.

Thanks for explaining the specifics. Then cut him IMO.

Open the spot for a player that contribute. I confident one will become available at some point. Remove Cousins from the equation before his next dumbass comment or action taints the Laker reputation again.

Davis can invite his buddy over for dinner if he misses him too much.

article link to the injury exemption talked about above. Says they are applying for a 1.75 million exception.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2853006-lakers-rumors-la-applies-for-175m-exception-for-demarcus-cousins-injury
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:07 pm    Post subject:

lar9149 wrote:
Bard207 wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Bard207 wrote:
My initial response is they should absolutely waive him. Never liked the signing from both a physical but especially a behavioral standpoint. Overdue IMO.

Only way I can even consider it is if the Lakers can get a roster spot back by injury exemption and shelve Cousins for the season. He can rehab at the facility and be buddies if needed. But even then I have serious concerns with this knucklehead being anywhere near the locker room and players.

If Davis signing is so fickle and based on how they treat Cousins they are screwed anyways. He and Klutch are looking for a reason to leave at that point.

The NBA virtually never gives an extra roster spot for an injured player. (Even if you get an Injured Player Exception, it doesn't come with an extra spot.) I can't imagine the league will give us one for a guy who was signed to a one-year contract who we could easily waive and who has a slight potential for making it back this year.

I didn't say that the NBA would give an extra roster spot for an injured player.

Quote:

79. What roster size limits exist? What is the Inactive List? What is Injured Reserve? Do any other such lists exist?

Quote:

Normally an NBA team can have a maximum of 15 players on its roster during a season (and up to 201 during the offseason, starting on the day after the team's season ends). A team normally has 12 or 13 players on its Active List, who are eligible to play in games, and can have as few as 11 for up to two weeks at a time. Any remaining players must be on the team's Inactive List, and are ineligible to play in games. Teams temporarily can have four players on their Inactive List (bringing their roster size to 16) with league approval in the event of a hardship2.

...and this part mentions the several other things that would need to happen to get an allowance/approval for an extra roster slot/spot.

Quote:

2 A hardship can be deemed to exist when a team has four players who are sick or injured and have missed at least three regular season games, and will continue to be unable to play. If a hardship is granted, the hardship ends when one of the sick or injured players is physically able to resume playing. The team must then release player(s) to get back to the roster limit, although teams have the option to retain the hardship player and release a different player to get back to the limit.

Thanks for explaining the specifics. Then cut him IMO.

Open the spot for a player that contribute. I confident one will become available at some point. Remove Cousins from the equation before his next dumbass comment or action taints the Laker reputation again.

Davis can invite his buddy over for dinner if he misses him too much.

article link to the injury exemption talked about above. Says they are applying for a 1.75 million exception.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2853006-lakers-rumors-la-applies-for-175m-exception-for-demarcus-cousins-injury

The writeup that you linked to really didn't discuss a hardship allowance for increasing the roster size above 15.

They are applying to get a DPE (Disabled Player Exception) which will allow them to offer more than the rookie minimum to a prospect/player.

25. What are salary cap exceptions?

Quote:

DISABLED PLAYER EXCEPTION -- This exception allows a team which is over the cap to replace a disabled player who will be out for the remainder of that season (it can also be granted in the event of a player's death). This exception is granted by the league, based on an application from the team and a determination by an NBA-designated physician or Fitness to Play panel (see question number 62) that the player is substantially more likely than not to be unable to play through the following June 15.

If this exception is granted, the team can acquire one player via free agent signing, trade or waiver claim, to replace the disabled player:

* The team may sign a free agent for one season only, for 50% of the disabled player's salary or the amount of the Non-Taxpayer Mid-Level exception, whichever is less.

* The team may trade for a player in the last season of his contract only (including any option years)2, who is making no more than 50% plus $100,000 of the disabled player's salary, or the amount of the Non-Taxpayer Mid-Level exception plus $100,000, whichever is less.

* The team may claim a player on waivers who is in the last season of his contract only (including any option years), who is making no more than 50% of the disabled player's salary, or the amount of the Non-Taxpayer Mid-Level exception, whichever is less.

Teams can apply for this exception from July 1 through January 15, and cannot apply after January 15. Once granted, the exception expires when a player is acquired, when the disabled player is traded or returns to the team, or on March 10 of that season, whichever comes first. This exception is granted on a season-by-season basis -- if the player will also be out the following season, the team needs to apply for this exception again the following season.

This exception only can be granted to the team for which the player was playing when his injury or illness was known, or reasonably should have become known. A team cannot trade for an injured player and subsequently apply for a Disabled Player exception for that player.

If a team's application for a disabled player exception is denied, the team must wait 90 days before submitting another request related to the same player, and then only for a new injury or aggravation of the same injury. Whether the application was approved or denied, the team can apply again (including for the same injury) the following season.

If the disabled player comes back sooner than expected he may be activated immediately, and the replacement player is not affected.

If granted, the dollar amount will be on the low side and not that appealing to veteran players with quite a few years in the league.

22. What is the minimum salary a player can receive?

Quote:

When a player has been in the NBA for three or more seasons, and is playing under a one-year, 10-day or Rest-of-Season contract at the minimum salary, the league reimburses the team for part of his salary -- any amount above the minimum salary for a two-year veteran. For example, the minimum salary for a two-year veteran in 2017-18 is $1,471,382, so for a ten-year veteran, with a minimum salary of $2,328,652, the league would reimburse the team $857,270. Only the two-year minimum salary is included in the team salary, not the player's full salary. They do this so teams won't shy away from signing older veterans simply because they are more expensive than younger veterans.

Receiving a hardship allowance on roster size for a team hampered by multiple injuries (or illneses) is different than being granted a DPE to allow a bit more spending on salary.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: