Vlade Divac Hall Of Fame Speech
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:16 am    Post subject:

Gasol will definitely have his jersey retired.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:10 am    Post subject:

PartyMan wrote:
I don’t see Vlade as a Hall of Famer but they’re letting so many people in these days. Vlade will not and should not have his jersey retired here. That’d be like retiring Mitch Richmond’s number but worse. Richmond was a better player over their careers and on a championship team.

Pau will absolutely be a Hall of Famer. He won 2 titles as the 2nd best guy on 3 straight Finals teams for the LAKERS. 20k plus points, multiple all star and all nba, and imo one of the best bigs in the NBA in his prime, which was with the LAKERS. Throw in being the best player in Europe before the NBA and his Spanish national team contributions, Pau is a lock. I mean Vlade Divac is in lol. Is Chris Webber even in yet?

Considering how important he was for us, winning 2 titles and spending what 7 years or so with us, #16 should be retired. It will deservedly be up there beside #8 and #24. Being a Hall of Famer is the minimum criteria. And a champion (save for Elgin, kinda). That’s why you still see guys wearing Fisher, Odom, Horry, Scott, Cooper’s numbers. We ain’t the Celtics over here.

If LeBron lands us a title, I’m all for him being up there. But that’s TBD. I don’t think he should if there is no championship.

First, you're really comparing a washed-up Mitch Richmond to a prime Vlade?

Second, they're going to retire Lebron's number no matter what. He's a household name/all-time great, plus it washes out the Vlade's and Wilkes' of the display.
LaLaLakeShow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:27 am    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
PartyMan wrote:
I don’t see Vlade as a Hall of Famer but they’re letting so many people in these days. Vlade will not and should not have his jersey retired here. That’d be like retiring Mitch Richmond’s number but worse. Richmond was a better player over their careers and on a championship team.

Pau will absolutely be a Hall of Famer. He won 2 titles as the 2nd best guy on 3 straight Finals teams for the LAKERS. 20k plus points, multiple all star and all nba, and imo one of the best bigs in the NBA in his prime, which was with the LAKERS. Throw in being the best player in Europe before the NBA and his Spanish national team contributions, Pau is a lock. I mean Vlade Divac is in lol. Is Chris Webber even in yet?

Considering how important he was for us, winning 2 titles and spending what 7 years or so with us, #16 should be retired. It will deservedly be up there beside #8 and #24. Being a Hall of Famer is the minimum criteria. And a champion (save for Elgin, kinda). That’s why you still see guys wearing Fisher, Odom, Horry, Scott, Cooper’s numbers. We ain’t the Celtics over here.

If LeBron lands us a title, I’m all for him being up there. But that’s TBD. I don’t think he should if there is no championship.

Second, they're going to retire Lebron's number no matter what. He's a household name/all-time great, plus it washes out the Vlade's and Wilkes' of the display.

If LeBron doesn’t bring us a title I don’t think his jersey gets hung in the rafters. Why would it? Just for a few years as a Laker at the end of his career?? I don’t think so
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:24 am    Post subject:

LaLaLakeShow wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
PartyMan wrote:

If LeBron doesn’t bring us a title I don’t think his jersey gets hung in the rafters. Why would it? Just for a few years as a Laker at the end of his career?? I don’t think so

Yeah that's a tough one. I could see it go either way. He deserves credit for joining a young lottery team at a time when we were still doormats. Considering the rise in ticket prices, he's making the Buss family a lot of money too. I think if he gets us to the Finals it wouldn't surprise me if they retired his jersey.
PartyMan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:54 am    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
PartyMan wrote:

What I was trying to point out is the absurdity of us retiring Divac number. Might as well retire Mitch Richmond at that point. They are HoFers. Someone asked if we will retire Divac jersey now and no we shouldn’t.

As for James, you very well might be right, I just don’t agree with that unless he brings a title to the Lakers.
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:36 pm    Post subject:

If the Lakers start retiring the jerseys of guys like Divac and Horry, Fisher, Odom, Cooper, Scott, etc. it would be the equivalent of giving them participation trophies.

I may be a millennial, but I don't believe in participation trophies or anything that cheapens or waters down a high honor or accolade.
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Vlade Divac Hall Of Fame Speech

LaLaLakeShow wrote:
Runway8 wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Lakerfan 4 Life wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpBfr5r9jVE

Congrats, Vlade!

I know Vlade was a good international player, but I can't reconcile him as a Hall of Famer based on his 16 years as a good but nothing special NBA player. If the Lakers retire his jersey, I will be surprised.

He's getting in for his OVERALL contributions. The HOF lets everybody in it seems anyways. I don't even think there are discussions of retiring his Laker jersey. Lakers don't do that. We ain't the Celtics, if we were, Byron Scott, AC Green, Pau Gasol, Michael Cooper, Robert Horry... they'd all be retired.

I think Gasol might get his number retired. Back to Back chips are no joke.

Pau will absolutely get his number retired in Staples. Shoe in hall of famer and one of the biggest reasons behind Kobe for those back to back rings. He’s got a better Laker resume than a couple of other numbers already up there.
LaLaLakeShow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Vlade Divac Hall Of Fame Speech

mhan00 wrote:
LaLaLakeShow wrote:
Runway8 wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Lakerfan 4 Life wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpBfr5r9jVE

Congrats, Vlade!

I know Vlade was a good international player, but I can't reconcile him as a Hall of Famer based on his 16 years as a good but nothing special NBA player. If the Lakers retire his jersey, I will be surprised.

He's getting in for his OVERALL contributions. The HOF lets everybody in it seems anyways. I don't even think there are discussions of retiring his Laker jersey. Lakers don't do that. We ain't the Celtics, if we were, Byron Scott, AC Green, Pau Gasol, Michael Cooper, Robert Horry... they'd all be retired.

I think Gasol might get his number retired. Back to Back chips are no joke.

Pau will absolutely get his number retired in Staples. Shoe in hall of famer and one of the biggest reasons behind Kobe for those back to back rings. He’s got a better Laker resume than a couple of other numbers already up there.

I Freaking love that guy
kwase
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:15 am    Post subject:

LaLaLakeShow wrote:
danzag wrote:
Lakers retire jersey for HOFers AND champions.

Do you think Pau will be inducted? I hope so

It would be criminal if Gasol doesn't get his jersey retired. Back to back chips and one against the celtics. Should be a no-brainer.
kwase
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:21 am    Post subject:

PartyMan wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
PartyMan wrote:

What I was trying to point out is the absurdity of us retiring Divac number. Might as well retire Mitch Richmond at that point. They are HoFers. Someone asked if we will retire Divac jersey now and no we shouldn’t.

As for James, you very well might be right, I just don’t agree with that unless he brings a title to the Lakers.

If lebron doesn't win a title here and the Lakers decide to retire his jersey, that ceremony will be met with some boos.

And Jamaal Wilkes absolutely deserves to be up there. Magic had a great game 6 of the 1979 NBA Finals, but Jamaal was the guy hitting all the big shots.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: