Hurricane Dorian
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:22 am    Post subject:

As often happens, the Dorian story has moved off the front pages of US news, but the real story is just now coming out. I have been viewing images and video's in recent days, and this has to be one of the most catastrophic storms I have seen in recent history. I honestly can't imagine how long it will take some of the islands in the north Bahamas to even begin to rebuild/recover. It has been difficult to get water and food to some of these remote islands, which I assume means it will be much harder to ever get the heavy equipment to those locations for cleanup and rebuilding.

This will truly be a storm that alters history as expectations are that many survivors will not return and rebuild. I have seen estimates that up to half of those being evacuated to the US/Florida are unlikely to return. Much of the property owned in the region has been passed down through generations, and while the land has great value, the owners are often poor and unlikely to to have the resources to rebuild. I mention this because I think an environment is likely to be created for very shady real estate transactions to take place where governments, businesses and wealthy individuals could attempt to find ways to basically steal this property.

Anyway, if you have time check out some of the recent coverage (CNN has some good pieces/video on their site). We are just now beginning to learn about the living hell the survivors in that region endured for over 24 hours which included everything from watching their property destroyed to seeing family members pulled away by the storm surge.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:33 am    Post subject:

Yep. I've been following it. One survivor said that the whole place smells of death.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:35 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
As often happens, the Dorian story has moved off the front pages of US news, but the real story is just now coming out. I have been viewing images and video's in recent days, and this has to be one of the most catastrophic storms I have seen in recent history. I honestly can't imagine how long it will take some of the islands in the north Bahamas to even begin to rebuild/recover. It has been difficult to get water and food to some of these remote islands, which I assume means it will be much harder to ever get the heavy equipment to those locations for cleanup and rebuilding.

This will truly be a storm that alters history as expectations are that many survivors will not return and rebuild. I have seen estimates that up to half of those being evacuated to the US/Florida are unlikely to return. Much of the property owned in the region has been passed down through generations, and while the land has great value, the owners are often poor and unlikely to to have the resources to rebuild. I mention this because I think an environment is likely to be created for very shady real estate transactions to take place where governments, businesses and wealthy individuals could attempt to find ways to basically steal this property.

Anyway, if you have time check out some of the recent coverage (CNN has some good pieces/video on their site). We are just now beginning to learn about the living hell the survivors in that region endured for over 24 hours which included everything from watching their property destroyed to seeing family members pulled away by the storm surge.

Yup, see Barbuda:

https://www.theguardian.com/global-development/2017/nov/20/the-night-barbuda-died-how-hurricane-irma-created-a-caribbean-ghost-town
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: