THANK YOU Dwight Howard (DH Signs with Philadelphia)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 48, 49, 50 ... 135, 136, 137  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:39 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
King Randle wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
King Randle wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
King Randle wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Listen to the LFR podcast.

Dwight, as opposed to Boogie, presents a spacing issue due to his non-existent perimeter game. It's a valid concern for offense, especially if they play Rondo alongside him (so 2 non-shooters together).

Same issue as McGee. Not a big deal to me. I'm much more concerned with defense then offense and he brings defense at a much higher level than Boogie.

Sure. My point is we have JAV and Dwight now. Both same archetypal non-shooting, passing, spacing bigs on offense. That will be a problem Vogel will need to figure out. Having Boogie in theory was supposed to help ameliorate that for our center position.

On offense yes...good points. I guess that's when you'll see AD at center and Kuz at the 4. What I like is that AD should demand doubles as well as will Bron which would open the middle for some lobs to Dwight or McGee.

I think both JAV and Dwight better be open to not closing any halves/games out. For Dwight, that's the kind of mental thing he has to accept and embrace. No pouting about not finishing, etc. Go all out for the minutes you're out there b/c he will likely play 50% of the minutes he's used to playing, so go all out in those minutes.

Okay...but also consider there will be games when the best line-up is Dwight, AD and Bron up front...It's a game to game thing...i.e. if AD is in foul trouble and they're playing Jokic or Embid...you will probably see Dwight finishing games like that.

I would be shocked if we're finishing games with Dwight. Remember, he's also a horrific FT shooter.

So if Vogel finishes with say Rondo/Dwight, yeah we are so fracked.

Dwight will have to mentally prepare to sit out most games when it's closing time.

AD doesn't want to start at C, but he will likely finish games there. Kuz/LBJ/AD probably will be our closing frontcourt.

That's your opinion, so we'll see what happens. I trust this coaching staff and I know Vogel values D so I believe it will be a game to game situation. I agree AD may close a number of games at center but there will be times he doesn't.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:55 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Quote:
I think both JAV and Dwight better be open to not closing any halves/games out. For Dwight, that's the kind of mental thing he has to accept and embrace.

Here's insight into how well he embraced it the last time he was benched in the playoffs:

Quote:
“It hurts,” Howard said. “I’m sure if you wrote the best stories in the world and nobody read your stories and they told you to stop writing and you saw somebody else’s story that wasn’t as good as yours, I’m pretty sure you’d be pissed, too. That’s how it is in basketball.”

There are some really odd stories going on in this guys head.. Alternate Universe type (bleep).. *I should know

He had dominance for a short time in his career? Still thinks he is that guy without ever watching his own bad stories played out by his character/consciousness he doesn't keep track of? (Delusional?)
https://www.goodtherapy.org/blog/psychpedia/delusion-of-grandeur
Quote:
A delusion of grandeur is the false belief in one’s own superiority, greatness, or intelligence. People experiencing delusions of grandeur do not just have high self-esteem; instead, they believe in their own greatness and importance even in the face of overwhelming evidence to the contrary. Someone might, for example, believe they are destined to be the leader of the world, despite having no leadership experience and difficulties in interpersonal relationships. Delusions of grandeur are characterized by their persistence. They are not just moments of fantasy or hopes for the future.

https://creatingalpha.files.wordpress.com/2007/09/notmyyob.jpg
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:00 am    Post subject:

King Randle wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
King Randle wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
King Randle wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
King Randle wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Listen to the LFR podcast.

Dwight, as opposed to Boogie, presents a spacing issue due to his non-existent perimeter game. It's a valid concern for offense, especially if they play Rondo alongside him (so 2 non-shooters together).

Same issue as McGee. Not a big deal to me. I'm much more concerned with defense then offense and he brings defense at a much higher level than Boogie.

Sure. My point is we have JAV and Dwight now. Both same archetypal non-shooting, passing, spacing bigs on offense. That will be a problem Vogel will need to figure out. Having Boogie in theory was supposed to help ameliorate that for our center position.

On offense yes...good points. I guess that's when you'll see AD at center and Kuz at the 4. What I like is that AD should demand doubles as well as will Bron which would open the middle for some lobs to Dwight or McGee.

I think both JAV and Dwight better be open to not closing any halves/games out. For Dwight, that's the kind of mental thing he has to accept and embrace. No pouting about not finishing, etc. Go all out for the minutes you're out there b/c he will likely play 50% of the minutes he's used to playing, so go all out in those minutes.

Okay...but also consider there will be games when the best line-up is Dwight, AD and Bron up front...It's a game to game thing...i.e. if AD is in foul trouble and they're playing Jokic or Embid...you will probably see Dwight finishing games like that.

I would be shocked if we're finishing games with Dwight. Remember, he's also a horrific FT shooter.

So if Vogel finishes with say Rondo/Dwight, yeah we are so fracked.

Dwight will have to mentally prepare to sit out most games when it's closing time.

AD doesn't want to start at C, but he will likely finish games there. Kuz/LBJ/AD probably will be our closing frontcourt.

That's your opinion, so we'll see what happens. I trust this coaching staff and I know Vogel values D so I believe it will be a game to game situation. I agree AD may close a number of games at center but there will be times he doesn't.

I am also betting for some reason Vogel will work with Dwights Ego issues
along with AD and Lebron.. Had to be some real heart to hearts before
Dwight was even considered... This team knows what they have
.. metrics and all...and temperament

Maybe we can get Mutombo to counsel Dwights Ego?
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:03 am    Post subject:

What Vogel should do is ensure that Dwight and McGee are either setting picks, rolling or boxing out their man (or even sealing him). What I loved about the Triangle offense is that the big guy could be effective without even touching the ball. All he did was put his body on that opposing big to negate his defensive impact. We should be thinking along those lines with how we use Howard and McGee.

It is not like we have a lot of drive the ball type of penetration on this team. I think it will be mainly Lebron doing that. Danny Green will be a shooter. Bradley, Cook, Caruso all looking to shoot. KCP maybe a bit of driving but also a shooting guard. Rondo should not be starting with Lebron and Dwight, and I will not assume he will. A lot of the projecting starting lineups I have seen have had Bradley starting with Lebron and Green.

So it is likely going to be some combo like this as our lineup as a core

McGee-Howard-Davis
Davis-Kuzma
James
Green-KCP
Bradley-Cook

Lebron plays 1 on offense, 3 on D usually.
Bradley takes the 1 on defense.
Kuzma comes in for AD, then AD comes back in at the 5, allowing us the most spacing if we need that.

3 main lineups

Howard-Davis-James-Green-Bradley
McGee-Kuzma-James-Green-Bradley
Davis-Kuzma-KCP-Cook-Rondo

Rondo only comes in when Lebron sits.

Close with Lebron-AD and the 3 best players based on match ups and what they need that night. Could be AD at the 5, or 4.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
HumanVictoryCigar
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:10 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
What Vogel should do is ensure that Dwight and McGee are either setting picks, rolling or boxing out their man (or even sealing him).

yeah... but it's Dwight we're talking about here I can see Lebron in the first quarter of the first game of the season say, "hey Dwight, set a good pick and roll to the rim and I'll get you".

Dwight goes out, starts talking to a fan, completely forgets what Lebron said and doesn't pay attention when the ball comes into play...
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:12 am    Post subject:

Darius/Pete said it best in their LFR podcast. Dwight is going to be asked to do things that he has not really focused on in the past. Will he and can he do it? That's the ultimate question.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:20 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Darius/Pete said it best in their LFR podcast. Dwight is going to be asked to do things that he has not really focused on in the past. Will he and can he do it? That's the ultimate question.

And it’s such an amazing opportunity for Dwight. If he buys in and really contributes to a contending Laker team, he could flip the script on his career. It doesn’t take star or even starter level play.
DLaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:30 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

I believe that statement is not 100% accurate. On offense he might be ask to do things he has not done in the past, but this team will be loaded offensively, which will not be a major problem, IMO. Defensively he has always guarded the basket and rebounded well in his career.

Dwight 12.6 reb and 2.0 blks (Career)
AD 12.0 reb and 2.4 blks (Last year)
Mcgee 7.5 reb and 2.0 blks (Last year)

We have quite a collection of D eraser in our lineup.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:38 am    Post subject:

DLaker wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

I believe that statement is not 100% accurate. On offense he might be ask to do things he has not done in the past, but this team will be loaded offensively, which will not be a major problem, IMO. Defensively he has always guarded the basket and rebounded well in his career.

Dwight 12.6 reb and 2.0 blks (Career)
AD 12.0 reb and 2.4 blks (Last year)
Mcgee 7.5 reb and 2.0 blks (Last year)

We have quite a collection of D eraser in our lineup.

I believe they were talking about him on offense.

There is physically no reason why he can't be a bone crushing screen setter and PnR operator. It's just in the past he's wanted to be an iso/low post scorer. I hope he will endeavor to be good at the former and not the latter.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:40 am    Post subject:

Laker's Fan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

And it’s such an amazing opportunity for Dwight. If he buys in and really contributes to a contending Laker team, he could flip the script on his career. It doesn’t take star or even starter level play.

This is a way to re-invent himself. If he can be committed to being a solid role player, he can easily extend his career. If he reverts to wanting to be an iso player/post up guy, see you in China.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:59 am    Post subject:

Looking really lean.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:01 am    Post subject:

epak wrote:
Looking really lean.

heard he is working on his 3 and ball handling.....wanting to make sure he gets his touches....
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:05 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
epak wrote:
Looking really lean.

heard he is working on his 3 and ball handling.....wanting to make sure he gets his touches....

Nice. 2 ADs for the price of 1?
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:27 am    Post subject:

I'm way past the point of "rooting against" him or hoping he fails. Nope. Want him to succeed and hopefully find redemption.

However, I'm also cognizant of his track record, and on-court playing style too. Just like Green has a steady track record of being a 3/D guy, I wouldn't expect him to all of a sudden be a point forward this late in his career. Same with Dwight. Difference is that Green can't be a point forward b/c of his shaky handles; Dwight CAN be a great screen setter/PnR guy. So I'm hoping coaches will work with him on that and reinforce that part of his game.
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:48 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
I'm way past the point of "rooting against" him or hoping he fails. Nope. Want him to succeed and hopefully find redemption.

However, I'm also cognizant of his track record, and on-court playing style too. Just like Green has a steady track record of being a 3/D guy, I wouldn't expect him to all of a sudden be a point forward this late in his career. Same with Dwight. Difference is that Green can't be a point forward b/c of his shaky handles; Dwight CAN be a great screen setter/PnR guy. So I'm hoping coaches will work with him on that and reinforce that part of his game.

Good to know. I honestly believe he knows this is his last stop...He can be a huge disappointment or really help this team in a great place and market. He's in control of his situation.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:49 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
I'm way past the point of "rooting against" him or hoping he fails.

I'm mostly MIA during the off season, but are there folks rooting against him? Never understood rooting against someone on your team.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:54 am    Post subject:

King Randle wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Good to know. I honestly believe he knows this is his last stop...He can be a huge disappointment or really help this team in a great place and market. He's in control of his situation.

I think there's a good chance he can really be a positive asset this year. Remember, we gave up nothing for him and he has a deal that is so suppressing and suffocating that he has to literally be on his best behavior at all times.

I'm hoping this year he can fully transition to the latter part of his career where he is not a focal point but a really solid role player. He can absolutely do that if he embraces it.
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:26 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

I'm mostly MIA during the off season, but are there folks rooting against him? Never understood rooting against someone on your team.

Yeah...there's a number of posters that can't wait to say "told you." Like you, I want this team to win above anything and Dwight accepting his role would help achieve that goal.
HumanVictoryCigar
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:24 pm    Post subject:

King Randle wrote:
epak wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Yeah...there's a number of posters that can't wait to say "told you." Like you, I want this team to win above anything and Dwight accepting his role would help achieve that goal.

Bla hahahaha! Yep, this is becoming like the old Julius Randle board. You would have sworn family members were posting on there. No "negative" or "not positive" comment is allowed to stand on it's own, every single comment, every tiny nuance is challenged or in some way re-directed to a more positive outcome. I hope... gee, I hope I didn't "offend" you in some way with this comment... there's nothing gay in it, I don't think???
lar9149
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:02 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
What Vogel should do is ensure that Dwight and McGee are either setting picks, rolling or boxing out their man (or even sealing him). What I loved about the Triangle offense is that the big guy could be effective without even touching the ball. All he did was put his body on that opposing big to negate his defensive impact. We should be thinking along those lines with how we use Howard and McGee.

It is not like we have a lot of drive the ball type of penetration on this team. I think it will be mainly Lebron doing that. Danny Green will be a shooter. Bradley, Cook, Caruso all looking to shoot. KCP maybe a bit of driving but also a shooting guard. Rondo should not be starting with Lebron and Dwight, and I will not assume he will. A lot of the projecting starting lineups I have seen have had Bradley starting with Lebron and Green.

So it is likely going to be some combo like this as our lineup as a core

McGee-Howard-Davis
Davis-Kuzma
James
Green-KCP
Bradley-Cook

Lebron plays 1 on offense, 3 on D usually.
Bradley takes the 1 on defense.
Kuzma comes in for AD, then AD comes back in at the 5, allowing us the most spacing if we need that.

3 main lineups

Howard-Davis-James-Green-Bradley
McGee-Kuzma-James-Green-Bradley
Davis-Kuzma-KCP-Cook-Rondo

Rondo only comes in when Lebron sits.

Close with Lebron-AD and the 3 best players based on match ups and what they need that night. Could be AD at the 5, or 4.

I think those lineup make sense as far as the current picture. However, I am betting one lineup that could happen is

Caruso-Green-Kuzma-AD-Lebron

I am betting Caruso surprises people this year. Don't forget, last year Caruso shot 48% from 3, scored quite a few points at the end of the season (when the Lakers called it quits) and plays solid defense. Combine that with Danny Green (45.5% from 3 last year) and hopefully Kuzma having his 3 ball back, and you will get a very spaced floor for AD-Lebron to operate.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:13 am    Post subject:

Re: Caruso, I think a lot of Lakers fans are hoping he gets a shot.

Unfortunately, it feels like Rondo the Politician will find his way to getting most of the minutes that AC should be getting. Hoping I'm wrong about that.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:23 am    Post subject:

Caruso will have a chance, I am sure. If he makes his 3 pointers and smart decisions, I do not think the Lakers will sit him. I think the Lakers have to know that they need to start a shooting guard at point, IE a point with SG skills at the 1, next to Lebron and AD. Even 10 years ago in his prime, Rondo had value because the Celtics team needed a player that could run the point guard, as neither Pierce, Allen or KG were that kind of floor general. Lebron is, and Lebron will run the show, as he always has most of his career.

I mean they may give Rondo a chance, and Rondo did make a decent clip from outside last year. To me point guard is the spot most up for grabs. Whoever plays well will get the minutes. Rondo is the one with the history, but I do not think it is automatic he gets the starting spot or most minutes. If this were the case, we would not have signed Cook, Caruso and Bradley. We signed players that complement Lebron playing the 1 on offense or the ball going through Lebron in the halfcourt. I think Rondo is insurance in case we need more playmaking and point guard play, especially if Lebron misses some PT.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
lar9149
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:03 am    Post subject:

Excellent points above, we have to hope skill is more important than politics here.

Do you guys get the feeling that Lebron likes Caruso? Somehow when I saw the games last year, it almost seemed like Lebron like having Caruso on the floor?
AshesToAshes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:28 am    Post subject:

Does he want to play the same style as Jav? that's the question.

let his man sag off and help, that's a good thing... IF... D39 then uses the space to gain some steam and streak to the hoop or crash the boards. Also Set a hard screen everytime.

If he doesn't plan to maintain his numbers (both pts/rbds) and touches by doing that, then he will not succeed.

If he does it passionately.. look out.
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:22 am    Post subject:

Only injuries could prevent the inevidability of a Laker championship this season. AD and DH are just gonna bully teams in the post. Who cares about 3-point shooting when you could just overpower teams down in the post? Maybe if they all start playing zone, then yea.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 48, 49, 50 ... 135, 136, 137  Next
Page 49 of 137
Jump to: