Prime (Orlando) Dwight Howard vs Anthony Davis
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Better player?
Prime Dwight Howard
12%
 12%  [ 6 ]
Anthony Davis
87%
 87%  [ 42 ]
Total Votes : 48

CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:01 am    Post subject: Prime (Orlando) Dwight Howard vs Anthony Davis

Who was better?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:40 am    Post subject:

Prime Dwight was a monster. Though he proved to be someone you could not build around.

Once he got paired with a then-all NBA Kobe in 2012-13, he showed even when he was paired with several all-star level players, he could not play nice. Then he joined with Harden and still couldn't get it done.

I think AD will show he's better.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:43 am    Post subject:

Easily Anthony Davis.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:45 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Prime Dwight was a monster. Though he proved to be someone you could not build around.

Once he got paired with a then-all NBA Kobe in 2012-13, he showed even when he was paired with several all-star level players, he could not play nice. Then he joined with Harden and still couldn't get it done.

What’s weird to me is that Hedo Turkoglu, not Dwight, was the go-to guy in crunch time for the Magic. Very strange since Turkolgu was not even remotely the same caliber player. (In fact, he was an also-ran when we first faced him as a real adversary on those Kings teams.)

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:53 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

What’s weird to me is that Hedo Turkoglu, not Dwight, was the go-to guy in crunch time for the Magic. Very strange since Turkolgu was not even remotely the same caliber player. (In fact, he was an also-ran when we first faced him as a real adversary on those Kings teams.)

Simple. Dwight was at the mercy of ball handlers as he was a traditional at the rim big man. Jameer and Turk decided things at the end of games. Oh and Dwight was a horrible FT shooter too.
kobe_4_mvp
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:00 am    Post subject:

Dwight was 3 wins away from a ring.
Davis has been to the playoffs twice, he has a lot to prove here.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:10 am    Post subject:

kobe_4_mvp wrote:

So basically, Dwight has had his prime.

AD is just entering his. Dwight's problem was his inability to work with top end talent that would help him finally win a ring. I don't think that will be an issue with AD and the talent IMO is greater in AD.
kobe_4_mvp
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:17 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
kobe_4_mvp wrote:

AD is just entering his. Dwight's problem was his inability to work with top end talent that would help him finally win a ring. I don't think that will be an issue with AD and the talent IMO is greater in AD.

well yeah, dwight’s 7 years older so his prime was earlier. And “Prime Dwight” ended in Orlando. We never got Prime Dwight. He just had back surgery and wasn’t 100% that season.
FreakofNature
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:27 am    Post subject:

AD.........And lets not forget AD is just "now" entering his prime....
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:33 am    Post subject:

kobe_4_mvp wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
kobe_4_mvp wrote:

well yeah, dwight’s 7 years older so his prime was earlier. And “Prime Dwight” ended in Orlando. We never got Prime Dwight. He just had back surgery and wasn’t 100% that season.

I just think AD is a more versatile two way player.

People forget AD is a DPOY level guy on that end, and he put up 26/12 last year in an up and down year.

Dwight was a monster on defense, but on offense, he left a lot to be desired IMO. AD, in his prime, will be a better overall player IMO.
kobe_4_mvp
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:40 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
kobe_4_mvp wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
kobe_4_mvp wrote:

I just think AD is a more versatile two way player.

People forget AD is a DPOY level guy on that end, and he put up 26/12 last year in an up and down year.

Dwight was a monster on defense, but on offense, he left a lot to be desired IMO. AD, in his prime, will be a better overall player IMO.

Agreed. And I hope they both have a successful upcoming season.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:42 am    Post subject:

Dwight is going to be in the HOF, like it or not.

So when I say that it's a shame that he couldn't fully capitalize on his career b/c of attitude/mental issues, understand that he's still a HOF caliber player. It's just he could have gone so much further.
PRLakeShow
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:56 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

10 years ago, yeah you could build around him. Orlando did and made the Finals. That series was a lot closer than the 4-1 record will show. You can thank Courtney Lee for missing a layup. To build around him you needed shooters, shooters, and more shooters. Lewis, Hedo, Jameer, Pietrus, etc.

Now can you build around a player like him today? Probably not. It will be interesting to see if we ever go back to building a team around a Center that can only shoot from the paint and is terrible at FTs.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:59 am    Post subject:

PRLakeShow wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

10 years ago, yeah you could build around him. Orlando did and made the Finals. That series was a lot closer than the 4-1 record will show. You can thank Courtney Lee for missing a layup. To build around him you needed shooters, shooters, and more shooters. Lewis, Hedo, Jameer, Pietrus, etc.

Now can you build around a player like him today? Probably not. It will be interesting to see if we ever go back to building a team around a Center that can only shoot from the paint and is terrible at FTs.

Good points. Yeah I was referring to building around him today. Obviously he had success in the playoffs almost a decade ago.

It's a shame. B/c when he first came into the league I was rooting for him.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:56 am    Post subject:

The one that had both an offensive and defensive game.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:07 am    Post subject:

Neither player has the mental makeup to be an alpha star, but since the script hasn’t been written for AD, I go with him.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:07 am    Post subject:

kobe_4_mvp wrote:

Shows you how weak the East was. That Orlando team needed 7 games to beat the Celtics without KG. And that was after falling behind 3-2.

AD lost a couple of times to the Warriors.
lar9149
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:08 am    Post subject:

Both of these guys are super defenders. Dwight in 2008 and 2009 average 2.9 2.8 blocks per game. Anything Davis did the same in 2013 2014. Both of them have guys have insane vertical leap like 12 feet plus so are great on pick and roll

The reason I pick AD is he has more skills beyond that and continues to expand his game with a 3 point shoot and the ability to get other guys invokes like through assists.

Dwight in the other hand I think has never been great at finding the open man. I saw one that if times where he post and than 2 or 3 guys surround him and he still doesn’t pass it out. This I think one area where AD and Dwight differ.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:18 am    Post subject:

PRLakeShow wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

The series could have gone 6 games, but fwiw the Lakers only loss was by 4 points. The Lakers won game 1 by 25 points and the deciding game by 13 points. It was really the 2nd easiest series for that Laker team.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:47 am    Post subject:

When Dwight was Davis' age he was on his way to his 3rd consecutive DPOY and had led a team to the Finals. Think at this point you'd have to give the edge to him.
lar9149
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:38 am    Post subject:

Both of these guys are super defenders. Dwight in 2008 and 2009 average 2.9 2.8 blocks per game. Anything Davis did the same in 2013 2014. Both of them have guys have insane vertical leap like 12 feet plus so are great on pick and roll

The reason I pick AD is he has more skills beyond that and continues to expand his game with a 3 point shoot and the ability to get other guys invokes like through assists.

Dwight in the other hand I think has never been great at finding the open man. I saw one that if times where he post and than 2 or 3 guys surround him and he still doesn’t pass it out. This I think one area where AD and Dwight differ.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:39 am    Post subject:

I think the more apt comparison is prime KG and AD.

Dwight was a more one dimensional offensive player and elite defender.

AD is a 2 way elite player.
kwase
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:07 am    Post subject:

AD is a much more versatile player.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:11 am    Post subject:

lar9149 wrote:

Yeah. On offense, not even a question.

AD's ability to handle the ball (dribbling and playmaking), his increasing range, consistent 80% level FT shooting, etc., tips the scales for me. It's not like AD is an offense-only player on the other end.
Zubolo
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:05 pm    Post subject:

AD was the more talented player but Dwight was more impactful.

Say what you want about his attitude or inability to develop an all-around game but Dwight was a one-man defensive wall. I implore any of you to go back and study the accolades for both players as well as team success and you will be amazed at what you will find.

I know at this point its easy to hate Dwight and love AD but lets not have a short memory here. Dwight's most talented teammate was either Turkoglu or Rashard Lewis. AD has had Jrue Holiday and Cousins in his prime.

Again, AD is easily more talented but Dwight was a big-time difference maker even with mediocre talent around him.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: