View previous topic :: View next topic  
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:58 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
Quote:
Vazquez told police of attempted sex with minor

Pittsburgh Pirates closer Felipe Vazquez admitted to police that he tried to have sex with a 13-year-old girl and sent her nude photographs and videos of himself committing sexual acts, according to a criminal complaint released Wednesday by Pennsylvania State Police.

Vazquez, 28, was arrested Tuesday and charged with six counts in Pennsylvania and Florida, including multiple felonies, related to his contact with the now-16-year-old girl. A judge denied him bail in Pennsylvania, where the charges filed include statutory sexual assault, unlawful contact with a minor, corruption of a minor and indecent assault.

Police said Vazquez met the girl while he was in the bullpen at PNC Park in Pittsburgh and communicated with her through text messages and social media. Vazquez, according to the complaint, "claimed initially that he refused to communicate with her due to her age," saying the girl appeared to be 16 or younger.

Vazquez told police he exchanged nude photos and videos with the girl, who was then 13, and drove to her home in Scottdale, Pennsylvania, about an hour outside of Pittsburgh. When Vazquez, then 26, arrived, the girl got into his car. She told police he pulled down her pants and tried to have sex with her.

Vazquez attempted to have sex with the girl, he told police, but he said he needed to leave because he had a game that night, according to the complaint.

Vazquez admitted to later sending more text messages to the girl.

The charges in Pennsylvania followed two charges in Florida, where the girl and her family now live, for soliciting a child for unlawful sexual conduct using a computer or device and giving obscene material to a minor. The girl's mother found photographs allegedly sent from Vazquez on her daughter's device and called police, spurring the investigation.

Attorneys for Vazquez declined comment in a statement released Wednesday.

"We are in the process of reviewing both the Pennsylvania and Florida charging documents, as well as the underlying facts of the matter," it said. "At this time, any comment would be premature."

Major League Baseball placed Vazquez on administrative leave after the arrest and is awaiting further information from police before considering disciplinary actions.

Damn, that could be the last we hear of him in the MLB....
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:15 pm    Post subject:

How can he send those photos/videos and not worry about what might happen to him if he gets caught?
JerryWest_44
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:54 pm    Post subject:

ohhh boy ... Kenley just struggles to get a save
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:56 pm    Post subject:

So much for "rounding into form".
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:57 pm    Post subject:

JerryWest_44 wrote:
ohhh boy ... Kenley just struggles to get a save

We call them "blown saves"

Are we really going into the playoffs with Kenley as our closer? God help us.

Last edited by LongBeachPoly on Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:57 pm    Post subject:

Another Bronx cheer to boot.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:04 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Damn, that could be the last we hear of him in the MLB....

Yup, child predatory crimes are a death sentence. Look at Luke Heimlich.

He will never pitch again in mlb.

Quote:
Vazquez could face immigration consequences

There is one additional legal topic worth watching. Vazquez is from Venezuela. If he is not a U.S. Citizen or living in the U.S. as a permanent resident (green card), he is able to reside and travel in the U.S. on a work visa. The U.S. Department of Homeland Security can seek to remove (deport) a non-citizen who is found to have committed a violent crime. This federal agency can also prevent such a person from re-entering the U.S. should he or she leave the country.

To be sure, Vazquez won’t be leaving the country if he’s convicted of felonies—he’ll be going to prison. But if Vazquez serves a relatively short sentence and if he is released while young enough to continue to pitch, a league career might no longer be possible. He would face potential deportation or be deemed inadmissible should he leave the U.S. and then try to return.

Michael McCann is SI’s Legal Analyst. He is also an attorney and Director of the Sports and Entertainment Law Institute at the University of New Hampshire Franklin Pierce School of Law.

Last edited by LongBeachPoly on Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:15 pm    Post subject:

The home plate umpire, Adrian Johnson, ruined that 9th inning for Jansen. He had Choi struck out and the ump missed it, and of course Choi singled in a run on the next pitch. Then D'Arnaud's fly ball ties the game, when it should've been the third out and a scoreless appearance.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:19 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
The home plate umpire, Adrian Johnson, ruined that 9th inning for Jansen. He had Choi struck out and the ump missed it, and of course Choi singled in a run on the next pitch. Then D'Arnaud's fly ball ties the game, when it should've been the third out and a scoreless appearance.

He still loaded two runners on.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:26 pm    Post subject:

I like having Josh Sborz and Caleb Ferguson on the team.
JerryWest_44
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:26 pm    Post subject:

another blown loss coming hard... these playoffs look very bleak with our bullpen
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:27 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

He still loaded two runners on.

I understand, but he still got screwed. The pitch was made, it was a perfect pitch, it had the zone, and he even got up out of his crouch like he was going to call it and then inexplicably didn't. I mean, I guess when it's Ji-Man Choi up there, you have to give him the benefit of the doubt.

I can't wait until there's electronic balls-and-strikes. I'm sick of this crap. I really am. Truth be told, I've been sick of it since I was a child. With all the replay available in sports, there is no reason that there should be missed pitches. None whatsoever. The entire sport is predicated on a pitcher putting the ball in play. It's the very foundation of the sport, so it's ludicrous that they should be judgment calls. Screw that. Take the judgment out of it. It would also end a catcher framing a pitch and, thus, end front offices actually putting emphasis on a catcher's ability to steal strikes that aren't actually strikes.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:28 pm    Post subject:

JerryWest_44 wrote:
another blown loss coming hard... these playoffs look very bleak with our bullpen

appears to me every other NL contender has more holes than a suspect bullpen when matched up against the Dodgers
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:29 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
I like having Josh Sborz and Caleb Ferguson on the team.

For souvenirs in the bleachers?
ksmgf
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:41 pm    Post subject:

[quote="LongBeachPoly"]Yankees lost

Yankees - 99-54
Dodgers - 98-54

Quote:
If the Yankees and Dodgers, for example, were to face each other in the World Series and had identical regular-season records, home-field advantage would go to the club with the better head-to-head record in 2019. In this case, that would be the Yankees, who beat the Dodgers in two of three meetings in August
[/quote

I thought the Conference that wins the all star game gets home court advantage.
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:43 pm    Post subject:

[quote="ksmgf"]
LongBeachPoly wrote:
Yankees lost

Yankees - 99-54
Dodgers - 98-54

Quote:
If the Yankees and Dodgers, for example, were to face each other in the World Series and had identical regular-season records, home-field advantage would go to the club with the better head-to-head record in 2019. In this case, that would be the Yankees, who beat the Dodgers in two of three meetings in August
[/quote

I thought the Conference that wins the all star game gets home court advantage.

That is no longer the case
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:24 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Dave Roberts Addresses Kenley Jansen’s Status as the Closer
The Dodgers drop game 2 of the series against the Rays 8-7.

The most pointed question manager Dave Roberts faced was simple and fair: “What would have to happen for you guys to consider a change [at closer]?

”Right now, I think that the way that he’s been throwing… obviously tonight was a blown save. The command after that first hitter — there was some good throws in there, but with Duffy, not putting him away, and I thought he had Choi punched right there, but I’m not really entertaining that thought right now."

Roberts fairly successfully side stepped the question by praising Jansen’s recent body of work, which is fair for the player’s manager, but these kind of questions will only get tougher come October.

While the 31 year-old closer has appeared dominant over his previous 3 outings, the reporter did note that he’s still blown 4 of his last 8 save opportunities.

Once again, it could be noted that home plate umpire Adrian Johnson very much missed strike 3 in the Choi at-bat…

https://www.dodgersnation.com/dodgers-dave-roberts-addresses-kenley-jansens-status-as-the-closer/2019/09/18/

SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:06 am    Post subject:

it's so damn funny Jansen takes so much damn time in between pitches while rest of the world knows 99% a cutter is coming. so frustrating watching him pitching now, so much pressure just to make a simple 1st pitch at bat.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:06 am    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
it's so damn funny Jansen takes so much damn time in between pitches while rest of the world knows 99% a cutter is coming. so frustrating watching him pitching now, so much pressure just to make a simple 1st pitch at bat.

It'd be a miracle if we actually win the WS with Kenley as our closer. 1 of 2 things have to happen:

1) He turns it around and is lights out
2) We blow everyone away that we don't actually need to close too many games.

No one really trusts in option 1
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:26 am    Post subject:

Kenley has to be removed from the closer position. He is jacking up our odds of getting home field advantage if we make it to the world series. We should have won last night. Guy puts pressure on the whole rest of the team by making them play extra innings. Put Kelly in at closer please. Jansen appears to be done at this point. Let him pitch in less pressure filled innings.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:31 am    Post subject:

Dr. Funkbot wrote:
Kenley has to be removed from the closer position. He is jacking up our odds of getting home field advantage if we make it to the world series. We should have won last night. Guy puts pressure on the whole rest of the team by making them play extra innings. Put Kelly in at closer please. Jansen appears to be done at this point. Let him pitch in less pressure filled innings.

We've been singing this song for 2 years now. It just ain't happening. I can't see us just switching to another closer come playoff time.

We've just got to accept the fact that Jansen's our closer for this playoff run - at least to start.

They might switch over if he blows 1, 2 or 5 games.....
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:54 am    Post subject:

Dr. Funkbot wrote:

I'm guessing they fear he may even be worse in set-up or middle relief duty. He doesn't strike me as the type of athlete to handle a demotion gracefully. So the only options are basically to leave him as the closer or be prepared to not use him at all. Regardless, I don't see any way he's back next season. They will pay to get rid of him.

Last edited by greenfrog on Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:58 am; edited 2 times in total
nickuku
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:57 am    Post subject:

Has dodger stadium booed him yet?
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:00 am    Post subject:

nickuku wrote:
Has dodger stadium booed him yet?

I'm surprised they haven't booed him before he's tossed a pitch like they did with Baez once. He's certainly contributed to more broken dreams than Pedro ever has.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:12 am    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
Dr. Funkbot wrote:

I'm guessing they fear he may even be worse in set-up or middle relief duty. He doesn't strike me as the type of athlete to handle a demotion gracefully. So the only options are basically to leave him as the closer or be prepared to not use him at all. Regardless, I don't see any way he's back next season. They will pay to get rid of him.

well too freaking bad for him then. he already contributed in losing that 2017 WS, Dodger fans should be piss as hell if Dodgers failed to get one this year because front office is too worry about Jansen's feeling.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 118, 119, 120 ... 246, 247, 248  Next
Page 119 of 248
Jump to: