THE Political Thread (ALL Political Discussion Here - See Rules, P. 1)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1696, 1697, 1698 ... 3661, 3662, 3663  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:48 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
ribeye wrote:
governator wrote:
jodeke wrote:
governator wrote:
jodeke wrote:
ContagiousInspiration wrote:

Quote:
First off, no I do not want anything to happen whatsoever.. that is a promise

But.. Throughout all of our Middle East Wars Americans as a whole have remained safe from retribution on US Soil.. If America attacks Iranian soil is it wrong of them to feel justified to attack American soil?

There hasn't been a war fought on these soils since the Civil War. I shudder to think what the Idiot In Office would do if we are attacked. He's foaming at the mouth for a reason to flex his nuclear muscle.

9/11 Jodeke, don't forget

Not forgotten. I was talking about a actual war not an attack.

If Trump had been in office when 911 occurred I think he would have dropped some bombs and maybe on the wrong country.

isn't that what we did

Touche! 15 Saudi's and four others from the UAE, Egypt and Lebanon, did the dirty deed.

Do you consider those who took action on behalf of America as us? Did we drop any bombs. If so I don't remember.

Oh, we dropped bombs, tons and tons and tons.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:51 pm    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
jodeke wrote:
ribeye wrote:
governator wrote:
jodeke wrote:
governator wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Quote:

But.. Throughout all of our Middle East Wars Americans as a whole have remained safe from retribution on US Soil.. If America attacks Iranian soil is it wrong of them to feel justified to attack American soil?

There hasn't been a war fought on these soils since the Civil War. I shudder to think what the Idiot In Office would do if we are attacked. He's foaming at the mouth for a reason to flex his nuclear muscle.

If Trump had been in office when 911 occurred I think he would have dropped some bombs and maybe on the wrong country.

isn't that what we did

Touche! 15 Saudi's and four others from the UAE, Egypt and Lebanon, did the dirty deed.

Do you consider those who took action on behalf of America as us? Did we drop any bombs. If so I don't remember.

Really? I'm not saying we didn't, Im saying don't remember the US sending bombers after 911. How long after the attack did we bomb? Remember the point I'm making, I think Trump would have started to bomb right after 911 and maybe bomb the wrong country

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:06 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
ribeye wrote:
jodeke wrote:
ribeye wrote:
governator wrote:
jodeke wrote:
governator wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Quote:

isn't that what we did

Really? I'm not saying we didn't, Im saying don't remember the US sending bombers after 911. How long after the attack did we bomb? Remember the point I'm making, I think Trump would have started to bomb right after 911 and maybe bomb the wrong country

The Iraq War began on March 19, 2003. I would say somewhere around March 19, 2003, that the bombs came down, which is about a year and a half after 9/11. It took that long for the Bush administration to come up with all their lies and misrepresentations (aluminum tubes/maluminum tubes) to sell the ignorant masses (yes, including fearful and gullible Democrats), and gear up for shock and awe.

Last edited by ribeye on Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:10 pm    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:

The Iraq War began on March 19, 2003. I would say somewhere around March 19, 2003, that the bombs came down, which is about a year and a half later. It took that long for the Bush administration to come up with all their lies and misrepresentations (aluminum tubes/baluminum tubes) to sell the ignorant masses (yes, including fearful and gullible Democrats), and gear up for shock and awe.

Don't forget that the US invaded Afghanistan less that a month after 9/11.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:20 pm    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
jodeke wrote:
ribeye wrote:
jodeke wrote:
ribeye wrote:
governator wrote:
jodeke wrote:
governator wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Quote:

isn't that what we did

The Iraq War began on March 19, 2003. I would say somewhere around March 19, 2003, that the bombs came down, which is about a year and a half after 9/11. It took that long for the Bush administration to come up with all their lies and misrepresentations (aluminum tubes/maluminum tubes) to sell the ignorant masses (yes, including fearful and gullible Democrats), and gear up for shock and awe.

That I remember. The point I'm making is being glossed over. Note bold green

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:22 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
ribeye wrote:

The Iraq War began on March 19, 2003. I would say somewhere around March 19, 2003, that the bombs came down, which is about a year and a half later. It took that long for the Bush administration to come up with all their lies and misrepresentations (aluminum tubes/baluminum tubes) to sell the ignorant masses (yes, including fearful and gullible Democrats), and gear up for shock and awe.

Was that because of of 911?

ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:38 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
ribeye wrote:

Yes.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:40 pm    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
jodeke wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
ribeye wrote:

Yes.

OK. Didn't remember it as such. After joggling, googling and shaking the cobwebs it's coming back it's aims were to dismantle al-Qaeda, and to deny it a safe base of operations in Afghanistan by removing the Taliban from power.

Last edited by jodeke on Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:48 pm; edited 2 times in total
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:45 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
ribeye wrote:
jodeke wrote:
ribeye wrote:

Well, technically, that is if one wants to go by the constitution, Bush did not have the authority to attack Iraq after 9/11. But today based on a broad interpretation of the The Authorization for Use of Military Force Against Iraq Resolution of 2002, presidents can just about attack whomever they please, whenever they please, and with Trump, whether he received authorization or not, he would just do as pleased, as he always does.
Heartburn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:48 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
ribeye wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
Context and sequence of events for this Whistleblower story: [snip]

While I would love for this to be some kind of smoking gun, I think we should wait and see what was said.

And the truth of the matter is, there is a plethora of things that have come come to light over the last 34 months that should have ended Trump presidency. So regardless of what is learned bout the facts here, it's not going to make a difference.

It became obvious to me a while back that the only way Trump's Reign of Terror ends is at the polling booths in November 2020.

I'm afraid you're right. And it's disgusting.

THIS CAPTURES IT:

@thomasafine on Twitter:
So this whistleblower thing is yet another thing where we think "THIS could be the thing that takes him down".

Events don't remove a president. The will of the people together with their elected representatives removes a president.

Last edited by Heartburn on Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:49 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
ribeye wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
Context and sequence of events for this Whistleblower story: [snip]

While I would love for this to be some kind of smoking gun, I think we should wait and see what was said.

And the truth of the matter is, there is a plethora of things that have come come to light over the last 34 months that should have ended Trump presidency. So regardless of what is learned bout the facts here, it's not going to make a difference.

It became obvious to me a while back that the only way Trump's Reign of Terror ends is at the polling booths in November 2020.

And the polling booth might not be able to stop him if Russia and voter suppression have their way.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:50 pm    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
jodeke wrote:
ribeye wrote:
jodeke wrote:
ribeye wrote:

Well, technically, that is if one wants to go by the constitution, Bush did not have the authority to attack Iraq after 9/11. But today based on a broad interpretation of the The Authorization for Use of Military Force Against Iraq Resolution of 2002, presidents can just about attack whomever they please, whenever they please, and with Trump, whether he received authorization or not, he would just do as pleased, as he always does.

My point exactly.

DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:04 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
ribeye wrote:

Seriously?

Of course!
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:08 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
ribeye wrote:

Seriously?

Of course!

After jostling and googling my memory was refreshed. rib finally address the point I was making. Trump may have attacked shortly after 911 if he had been in office. A case can be made it took Bush only about a month to attack (a relatively short period of time.)

ChefLinda

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:36 pm    Post subject:

Even if the whistleblower revelations (whatever they may turn out to be) don't take down Trump's presidency (which we all know it won't), it's still important for the rest of us - the Congress, the public, the press, the courts to continue to bring the truth to light, and continue to assert that no one is above the law. You persist in truth telling for it's own sake. You demand the facts because facts are important. You protect the rule of law and remaining functioning institutions to any degree that you can because our Democracy depends on it. Trump is a criminal. Who knows if he'll ever be caught. But the rest of us have to live by our own standards and values no matter what happens to this lowlife corrupt evil lying sack of excrement.
Heartburn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:47 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
Even if the whistleblower revelations (whatever they may turn out to be) don't take down Trump's presidency (which we all know it won't), it's still important for the rest of us - the Congress, the public, the press, the courts to continue to bring the truth to light, and continue to assert that no one is above the law. You persist in truth telling for it's own sake. You demand the facts because facts are important. You protect the rule of law and remaining functioning institutions to any degree that you can because our Democracy depends on it. Trump is a criminal. Who knows if he'll ever be caught. But the rest of us have to live by our own standards and values no matter what happens to this lowlife corrupt evil lying sack of excrement.

I agree with this and it's why I think impeachment is important even if it doesn't succeed in removal. It's worth the effort.

Still, I don't think we get the result the country needs until the 2020 election.

Last edited by Heartburn on Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Heartburn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:51 pm    Post subject:

McConnell Backs Election Security Amendment

It's not hard to connect the dots between the Whistleblower story and Moscow Mitch doing an about face on this issue, especially considering Moscow Mitch has his own Russian skeletons in his closet.

Mitch only speaks one language: POWER. He did this because his hand was forced in some way.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:56 pm    Post subject:

Impeachment has to be timed correctly. Trump most likely won't be removed but if timed close to election 2020 his dastardly deeds will be fresh in the minds of voters. His base won't be moved. Getting voters to the polls is tantamount. There's also the possibility some Trumpsters will have second thoughts.

ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:03 pm    Post subject:

Feels like the plague is coming

Trump voters must have some evil relative or two locked in prison l.

They need to recognize what kind of criminal Trump is and what it means to their own safety

You are handing money and power over to a High Level Criminal
who should be called to pay for his crimes

Potentially one who is being blackmailed or directed by a madman with hypersonic nuclear ICBMs
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:54 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:

OK. Didn't remember it as such. After joggling

>joggling

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joggling#/media/File:Joggle.jpeg
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:58 pm    Post subject:

RustyShackleford wrote:
ribeye wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
So Kavanaugh is the scumbag sexual predator we thought he was; the FBI "investigation" was a sham like we knew it was; Republican Senators were told of allegations from eye witnesses before the hearings even started like we knew they were; and all the Republican Senators voted yes anyway because they don't give a damn about women or applying the rule of law to powerful white men. The last minute FBI "background" check was a sham, like we knew it was, and served only as a fig leaf to give "moderate" GOP senators an excuse to vote yes. #KavanaughLied #ImpeachKavanaugh

Reason 10,042 to win back the Senate.

An alcholic, a rapist and a liar walk into a bar . . .

They promote 'em and we push ours to retire.

Even though both parties do "it" (whatever the "it" du jour is).

I've been lurking for a really, really long time on LG but the amount of vitriol I see in these posts, let alone in this thread between posters and moderators, is reason number 10,042 to stay a lurker.

The tipping point for me is the knee-jerk reaction of many posters reacting to the mainstream news and media reports, and for this example, it's specifically for the judge and the perception of his guilt or innocence. It's bad enough the NYT who reported the story has now gone on record in an editorial note to clarify the story may or may not be as straight forward as it seems.

I thought the politicians, and ultimately many of the posters in this forum, would've learned their lesson from jumping the gun on that Smollett guy a few months back. Seems like most (or all) of them put their foot in their mouth (again) before fact-checking the story about the judge and either went full silence on their tweets or have attempted to remove the tweet but put it back on (AOC anyone?) because the last thing they'd want is to get blasted from the other side and perhaps... their own side.

I'd hate to be charged or accused of something before even a credible fact or witness is discovered. To think that I'm already guilty in your eyes and there's not a damn shred of trustworthy evidence that you can point to that will make you change your mind about me but you'll still hate me for whatever reason it is... that's scary.

I know this is the Off-Topic section but I am not delusional enough to think it has not spilled into the Lakers Lounge as well. I'm angry that this wonderful board has come to this. Welcome to Ground Zero of Partisan-ville. Population: each and every one of you throwing turd grenades at each other when you should be really throwing them at your neighborhood, city, and state representatives.

And before you accuse any of the posters here of having a burner account, I assure you it's not. I do feel with 100% certainty, however, that this idea was on a few poster's minds though before they even got to this section of my rant. This thread is more toxic than the waters in Flint, Michigan

>"lurking is best because people only post BS and vitriol in this thread"
>create account with sole purpose of posting BS and vitriol

kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:30 pm    Post subject:

RustyShackleford wrote:
Population: each and every one of you throwing turd grenades at each other when you should be really throwing them at your neighborhood, city, and state representatives.

This is a welcome change as opposed to being called a hive mind like before by others.
Regular posters in here debate impeachment, party nominees, policy. High stakes things. With minimal personal attacks. I wouldn't describe it as turd grenades.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:36 pm    Post subject:

Trump (apparently) both through a phone call and via Rudy Guliani tried to blackmail new president of Ukaine into helping Trump campaign by providing dirt on Biden in exchange for continued U.S. support (financial and otherwise). Various pieces of this have been reported over the last few months. Now it looks like the whistleblower report is probaby about this -- although Washington Post can't confirm that detail yet. AND I TALKED ABOUT ALL THIS 10 PAGES AGO BECAUSE I WATCH RACHEL EVERY NIGHT AND IT'S OBVIOUS THAT 2 + 2 = 4.

Washington Post: Whistleblower complaint about President Trump involves Ukraine, according to two people familiar with the matter

Quote:
A whistleblower complaint about President Trump made by an intelligence official centers on Ukraine, according to two people familiar with the matter, which has set off a struggle between Congress and the executive branch.

The complaint involved communications with a foreign leader and a “promise” that Trump made, which was so alarming that a U.S. intelligence official who had worked at the White House went to the inspector general of the intelligence community, two former U.S. officials said.

Two and a half weeks before the complaint was filed, Trump spoke with Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky, a comedian and political newcomer who was elected in a landslide in May.

That call is already under investigation by House Democrats who are examining whether Trump and his attorney Rudolph W. Giuliani sought to manipulate the Ukrainian government into helping Trump’s reelection campaign. Lawmakers have demanded a full transcript and a list of participants on the call.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:58 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
U.S. drone strike kills 30 pine nut farm workers in Afghanistan

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-afghanistan-attack-drones/us-drone-strike-kills-30-pine-nut-farm-workers-in-afghanistan-idUSKBN1W40NW
Quote:

ALALABAD, Afghanistan (Reuters) - A U.S. drone strike intended to hit an Islamic State (IS) hideout in Afghanistan killed at least 30 civilians resting after a day’s labor in the fields, officials said on Thursday.

The attack on Wednesday night also injured 40 people after accidentally targeting farmers and laborers
who had just finished collecting pine nuts at mountainous Wazir Tangi in eastern Nangarhar province, three Afghan officials told Reuters.

To what ends and when..
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:19 pm    Post subject:

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2019/07/08/will-hunter-biden-jeopardize-his-fathers-campaign

Want to know about Bidens personal life.. New Yorker has about 10 pages here.. sheesh..

I trust The New Yorker.. good or bad?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1696, 1697, 1698 ... 3661, 3662, 3663  Next
Page 1697 of 3663
Jump to: