THE Political Thread (ALL Political Discussion Here - See Rules, P. 1)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1698, 1699, 1700 ... 3661, 3662, 3663  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:05 pm    Post subject:

BigGameHames wrote:
kikanga wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
Curious. Why would t Medicare for all benefit those it is intended to benefit, and who do you think that is?

People who can’t afford healthcare as it is or those whose medical bills cripple their family financially. I think it would end up looking a lot like our public school systems. District lines being drawn along neighborhoods based on income sending well off children to better schools and children from families with lower income to overcrowded schools lacking funding. They’d have healthcare but it would be very low quality and would still be paying for it but with taxes opposed to as a deductible or premium.

I think you made a good argument for fixing district lines. Don't think you made a good argument against Medicare for all.

I don’t trust the people in charge to fix district lines or to implement Medicare for all properly. That’s my point.

This got lost in the latest trump scandal that means nothing to GOP voters, but I thought it deserved to be addressed because it is one of the more obtuse arguments against single payer or any other government program.

The argument always goes something along the lines of you cant trust government to do (insert program) because they are corrupt and wasteful and inefficient.

The major missing piece of information here is why and how the government is corrupt and wasteful. It's because the government often becomes corrupted BY private industry and is looted and gutted of its effectiveness BY the private sector. So in essence, the argument here is that the government can't be trusted to solve a problem created by the private sector, because it might be corrupted by that private sector, so we should leave it to the private sector.

To illustrate how silly this is, let's move it to a different scenario. Let's say we have a crime problem caused by criminals. And let's say our argument is that the police should not have anything to do with solving this problem because the police can be corrupted by the criminals, so we should just put the criminals in charge of solving their own crime problem? Sound good?

That's the argument at its root.
Heartburn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:11 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
kikanga wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
Curious. Why would t Medicare for all benefit those it is intended to benefit, and who do you think that is?

People who can’t afford healthcare as it is or those whose medical bills cripple their family financially. I think it would end up looking a lot like our public school systems. District lines being drawn along neighborhoods based on income sending well off children to better schools and children from families with lower income to overcrowded schools lacking funding. They’d have healthcare but it would be very low quality and would still be paying for it but with taxes opposed to as a deductible or premium.

I think you made a good argument for fixing district lines. Don't think you made a good argument against Medicare for all.

I don’t trust the people in charge to fix district lines or to implement Medicare for all properly. That’s my point.

This got lost in the latest trump scandal that means nothing to GOP voters, but I thought it deserved to be addressed because it is one of the more obtuse arguments against single payer or any other government program.

The argument always goes something along the lines of you cant trust government to do (insert program) because they are corrupt and wasteful and inefficient.

The major missing piece of information here is why and how the government is corrupt and wasteful. It's because the government often becomes corrupted BY private industry and is looted and gutted of its effectiveness BY the private sector. So in essence, the argument here is that the government can't be trusted to solve a problem created by the private sector, because it might be corrupted by that private sector, so we should leave it to the private sector.

To illustrate how silly this is, let's move it to a different scenario. Let's say we have a crime problem caused by criminals. And let's say our argument is that the police should not have anything to do with solving this problem because the police can be corrupted by the criminals, so we should just put the criminals in charge of solving their own crime problem? Sound good?

That's the argument at its root.

Why be theoretical when we have a perfect live example right in front of us:

USDA to Allow Slaughterhouses to Self-Police

I'm this close to becoming a vegetarian.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:12 pm    Post subject:

Now Trump is sending US troops to Saudi Arabia.

US to deploy troops to Saudi Arabia, UAE

Still too soon to impeach?
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:13 pm    Post subject:

Surfitall wrote:
governator wrote:
New Hampshire Emerson polling sept 6-9: (+/- 2.9%)

1. Biden 55% - Trump 45 %
2. Yang 54% - Trump 46%
3. Bernie 52% - Trump 48%
4. Kamala 51% - Trump 49%
5. Warren 49% - Trump 51%

Surprise with Warren on virtual tie, also surprise at Yang name recognition

Whoa...Yang being number two in this poll is shocking. I like Yang a lot...thought I was the only one.

When you consider where he polls among democrats, the reality of this poll is that he has higher favorables among either independent or GOP voters in this poll than the other Democrats other than Biden. Which is pretty on brand since hes center right on a lot of things.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:13 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:

My youngest son is on his way to the UAE next month...
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:15 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:

I pray this doesn't escalate and he stays safe. ❤️
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:21 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:

He's a radar operator so he will not be on the front lines, but a rocket or missile...
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:52 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
A reporter called me today (who is working on a new story about Trump's sexual misconduct focusing on underage girls) because she saw one of my tweets recounting Trump's comments to my boss in the 90's bragging about sex with teen girls. I gave her the names of the people at the meeting so she could follow up. Lord knows nothing sticks to the guy but if this tiny tip helps bring him down someday...

Just curious, do you think any of those people would be willing to go on record to say what they heard at that meeting?
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:54 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:

He's a radar operator so he will not be on the front lines, but a rocket or missile...

Fingers crossed that it never gets to that point . . .
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

ChefLinda

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:17 pm    Post subject:

This is an impeachable offense and you don't need a two-year special counsel investigation to prove it.

Washington Post: How Trump and Giuliani pressured Ukraine to investigate the president’s rivals

Quote:
When President Trump spoke on the telephone with Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky in late July, the Ukrainians had a lot at stake. They were waiting on millions in stalled military aid from the United States, and Zelensky was seeking a high-priority White House meeting with Trump.

Trump told his Ukrainian counterpart that his country could improve its image if it completed corruption cases that have “inhibited the interaction between Ukraine and the USA,” according to a readout of the call released by Kiev.

What neither government said publicly at the time was that Trump went even further — specifically pressing Ukraine’s president to reopen a corruption investigation involving former vice president Joe Biden’s son, according to two people familiar with the call, which is now the subject of an explosive whistleblower complaint.

Days after the two presidents spoke, Trump’s personal lawyer, Rudolph W. Giuliani, met with an aide to the Ukrainian president in Madrid and spelled out two specific cases he believed Ukraine should pursue. One was a probe of a Ukrainian gas tycoon who had Biden’s son Hunter on his board. Another was an allegation that Democrats colluded with Ukraine to release information on former Trump campaign chairman Paul Manafort during the 2016 election.

“Your country owes it to us and to your country to find out what really happened,” Giuliani said he told the Ukrainian president’s aide, Andriy Yermak, during the Madrid meeting. Yermak, according to Giuliani, indicated that the Ukrainians were open to pursuing the investigations. The aide reiterated the Ukrainians’ plea for a meeting with Trump, a summit that would be an important signal to Russia of Washington’s support for Ukraine.

“I talked to him about the whole package,” said Giuliani, who has been lobbying Ukrainian officials to take up the investigations since the spring. Yermak did not respond to a request for comment.
The Lebrons
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:24 pm    Post subject:

That's an Impeachable Offense: The Trump story
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:25 pm    Post subject:

The Lebrons wrote:

Part 2,346
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:27 pm    Post subject:

Pelosi Says Congress Should Pass New Laws So Sitting Presidents Can Be Indicted
https://www.npr.org/2019/09/20/762594886/pelosi-says-congress-should-pass-new-laws-so-sitting-presidents-can-be-indicted

I know this sounds hypocritical coming from me. I want to scrap the filibuster and pack the Supreme Court next time Dems take control. Which could easily backfire later on.
But I think there's a better alternative to what Pelosi is proposing. Prerequisites for Presidential candidates! You have to have at least some public service experience. Strict background checks. And tax returns have to be made public. Make sure someone like Trump could never run for President again.
I could see Republicans abusing the power Pelosi's proposing on a Dem President. If a Dem President leaves a hotpocket in the oven too long they'll push to indict for 4th degree arson.
If a President is forced to defend themselves against enough BS indictments, that could derail an agenda pretty quick.
What Pelosi wants is better than the status quo. But it's reactive. I'd like to pursue some proactive steps as well. Don't even let criminals in the White House to begin with. We can still get ahead of this problem after 2020.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:22 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
The Lebrons wrote:

Part 2,346

Let's just say that The Encyclopedia Britannica has fewer pages.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:35 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Pelosi Not Budging on Impeachment and Her Colleagues Are Privately Screaming

LINK

No matter the result. I have a ton of respect for Pelosi for holding to her convictions. She's weighed all the options. Made a decision. And is following through with her plan.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:41 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Quote:

LINK

No matter the result. I have a ton of respect for Pelosi for holding to her convictions. She's weighed all the options. Made a decision. And is following through with her plan.

She's all in, that's for sure.

I sure hope it doesn't blow up in her face . . .
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:06 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Quote:

LINK

She could be making the right decision in terms of voters and Trump 2020 could still win.
She could be making the wrong decision in terms of voters and Trump 2020 could still lose.
I'm choosing to believe she is puting country over self. Her history (especially with the ACA) affords her that belief.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:22 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Quote:

LINK

She could be making the right decision in terms of voters and Trump 2020 could still win.
She could be making the wrong decision in terms of voters and Trump 2020 could still lose.
I'm choosing to believe she is puting country over self. Her history (especially with the ACA) affords her that belief.

I’m not sure whether she is operating under conviction or stubbornness at this point.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:17 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
I’m not sure whether she is operating under conviction or stubbornness at this point.

I have the same doubts.
But I'm choosing to be optimistic. Even though I'm worried.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 7:40 am    Post subject:

I think she has been waiting for moments like the current one

She needs to see Republicans begin to question their support of him and McConnell

She can't win an impeachment
Everyone knows this

Needs to hope he embarasses himself or commits a guaranteed impeachable offense
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 7:46 am    Post subject:

I'm sticking to the CL plan or my version of it: Go for impeachment, but don't ever send it to the Senate, or even hold a final vote, until Donald Trump testifies, which will probably be in 20never.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:18 am    Post subject:

If there are tapes of Trump's conversation that end up being heard by the public, then there is a slight possibility we enter Nixon Watergate tape territory. Republicans (both in Congress and out) were solidly behind Nixon until those tapes were played. That's what finally flipped public opinion into critical mass territory. I know we live in different times and this is not your father's Republican party, but it might be the rare thing that puts pressure on them (they still may not act but that could damage their own re-election bids depending on the state). If nothing else, even if he remains in office he would be severely wounded and it would lower his odds of winning over independents and moderate GOP women and generate voter enthusiasm to vote against having a traitorous criminal in office for four more years.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:24 pm    Post subject:

I browse Breitbart now and then, just to see how the other half "thinks."

For days now, they've been saying the US has the lowest emission standards in many years with a variety of articles related to that point. Today it is:

Quote:
Several climate change activists in D.C. decried the U.S. for its role in contributing to climate change despite the fact that the U.S. has made great strides in reducing its carbon output, seeing the “largest decline in CO2 emissions in the world for 9th time this century” in 2017. The largest increase that year came from China.

According to a report released by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) last year, the U.S. reduced its greenhouse gas output by 2.7 percent during President Trump’s first year in office.

“Thanks to President Trump’s regulatory reform agenda, the economy is booming, energy production is surging, and we are reducing greenhouse gas emissions from major industrial sources,” EPA Acting Administrator Andrew Wheeler said at the time.

One has to be careful when reading Breitbart as they often tell half truths or give misleading information.

Note that the quote was regarding 2017, which would be, at best, a transitional year from Obama's administration, as the exiting president has budget authority for FY2017 and new policies from a new administration take time to conceive, implement, and produce results.

What if Breitbart used 2018 data? What is they used what would be Trump's first year of total budget control, and effectively the first year one could expect results from his policies?

Yep. Different story. Anyone surprised?
Quote:

WASHINGTON — America’s carbon dioxide emissions rose by 3.4 percent in 2018, the biggest increase in eight years, according to a preliminary estimate published Tuesday.

US Carbon Emissions likely surged in 2018
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 5:22 pm    Post subject:

Elizabeth Warren edges out Joe Biden for lead in Des Moines Register Iowa poll. The poll has long been considered the most accurate of the crucial first-in-the-nation caucus state.

Quote:
Sept. 21, 2019, 8:15 PM EDT
By Alex Seitz-Wald

Massachusetts Sen. Elizabeth Warren has overtaken former Vice President Joe Biden in Iowa, according to a new Des Moines Register/CNN poll of the crucial state.

The poll out Saturday night found Warren was the top choice for the Democratic nomination with 22 percent support among likely caucus-goers, while Biden had the support of 20 percent of respondents. Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders fell to third with 11 percent.

Quote:
The last Register/CNN poll, in June, had Biden leading with 24 percent and Warren in the third spot at 15 percent, slightly behind Bernie Sanders, who came in second with 16 percent support.

While there have been several other recent polls of the crucial first-in-the-nation caucus state, the Des Moines Register's Iowa Poll, conducted by Des Moines-based pollster Ann Selzer, is widely considered to be the most accurate, so its Saturday night releases have become must-watch events for Iowa politicos.

Quote:
Sanders and Mayor Pete Buttigieg of South Bend, Indiana, both slipped significantly, down 5 and 6 percentage points, respectively, leaving Buttigieg at 9 percent, down from 15.

Quote:
But the data is unquestionably good news for Warren, who is now both the best-liked candidate in the field (75 percent view her favorably) and the candidate being considered by the most likely caucus-goers (71 percent)
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:08 am    Post subject:

Apparently we've moved onto the, "Yeah I did it, so what? There's nothing wrong with it." stage. And his lackeys on the Sunday shows including the Secretary of State are, "Yeah, he did it so what?"

Really, they all need to be impeached, Trump, Barr, Pence, Pompeo and everyone in his cabinet who approves and endorses this treason against the United States of America.

This is how dictatorships are born. If you don't make them pay a price now, what will stop them from other schemes to steal the election and who will stop them?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1698, 1699, 1700 ... 3661, 3662, 3663  Next
Page 1699 of 3663
Jump to: