Oh ‘Jeanie Jeanie Jeanie’ Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:48 pm    Post subject:

kwase wrote:
audioaxes wrote:
Metro2Staples wrote:
He recruited LeBron who in turn recruited Anthony Davis. Yeah, terrible, lol.

Runway8 wrote:

Despite what he did this past year, Magic Johnson is the most important figure in Laker history.

you dont recruit a player like Lebron... he chooses his team and that lucky simply has to say "yes" to everything he asks

Yep, and as a result of us signing him, Kawhi and PG went to the clippers. Let's see how it plays out.

I don't think either one of them were coming, regardless.
kwase
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:28 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
kwase wrote:
audioaxes wrote:
Metro2Staples wrote:
He recruited LeBron who in turn recruited Anthony Davis. Yeah, terrible, lol.

Runway8 wrote:

Despite what he did this past year, Magic Johnson is the most important figure in Laker history.

you dont recruit a player like Lebron... he chooses his team and that lucky simply has to say "yes" to everything he asks

Yep, and as a result of us signing him, Kawhi and PG went to the clippers. Let's see how it plays out.

I don't think either one of them were coming, regardless.

Why do you think that when there were reports that both wanted to come here before we signed lebron? PG went to OKC very shortly before lebron signed, but I had inside info that we were going to sign him well before we did, so if I had that info I'm pretty dang sure PG did.

Let's just see how it plays out, because there's nothing we can do about it now anyway. And If it doesn't work out I don't blame Jeannie. Why should we when most of us on LG wanted her out of the player personnel decisions to begin with. That's why Magic was hired, so that's who I'm going to blame if the lebron experiment blows up in our face. And I'm a huge Magic fan, but this is all on him.
kwase
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:40 pm    Post subject:

Laker's Fan wrote:
Owners absolutely do win rings. We had the very best in Dr. Buss and won because of it. The competitive landscape changed, the billionaires pushing out the millionaires, and we fell backwards.

Dr. Buss is easily the best owner in sports that ever lived. Comparing him to any other owner just isn't fair. All owners are responsible for is hiring the right people to make the decisions. All owners should do is sit in their luxury boxes and sign the checks. There's a salary cap in the NBA, so whether you're worth $500 million or several billion really doesn't matter as long as you have the right people making the basketball decisions. Maybe we can blame Jeannie for hiring Magic, but at the time it seemed like the right move. Nobody really knows what really happened to cause Magic to quit. Magic isn't going to say and neither is anybody in the organization. All we can do is speculate, and it could be a number of different reasons.

One of my favorite moments as a Laker fan...RIP Dr. Buss

dabask11
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:29 pm    Post subject:

kwase wrote:
Laker's Fan wrote:
Owners absolutely do win rings. We had the very best in Dr. Buss and won because of it. The competitive landscape changed, the billionaires pushing out the millionaires, and we fell backwards.

Dr. Buss is easily the best owner in sports that ever lived. Comparing him to any other owner just isn't fair. All owners are responsible for is hiring the right people to make the decisions. All owners should do is sit in their luxury boxes and sign the checks. There's a salary cap in the NBA, so whether you're worth $500 million or several billion really doesn't matter as long as you have the right people making the basketball decisions. Maybe we can blame Jeannie for hiring Magic, but at the time it seemed like the right move. Nobody really knows what really happened to cause Magic to quit. Magic isn't going to say and neither is anybody in the organization. All we can do is speculate, and it could be a number of different reasons.

One of my favorite moments a Laker fan...RIP Dr. Buss

It was good move in the eyes of fans who were drunk from the kool-aid brought by showtime.

Objectively, the signs of magic failing were blatantly obvious. Magic's outdated thoughts/tweets, his own failure as a coach/talk show host as well as the failures of other HOF's turned FO would have been taken into account by a capable owner when choosing the next POB/GM.

Even so, what truly makes the magic hiring by jeanie baffling is you still don't need the aforementioned to come such a conclusion.

Do you think a successful businessman would assign the two highest positions in his company to complete novices who lack experience while simultaenously not working their way up? That's what jeanie did when hiring magic/rob. Even if that wasn't the case due to circumstances, a competent owner would still take the lack of experience into account. Not only did Jeanie not understand how magic was a complete novice in his role, but her not bringing back Jerry West to help him out was an even bigger failure given how Jerry was begging to come back as a consultant.

Her defense of not hiring west because he might be getting in magic's way doesn't help matters.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:41 pm    Post subject:

kwase wrote:

1. Dr. Buss was a great owner, but a big part of the reason is that he didn't just sit in a luxury box and sign checks. He got involved in the big decisions. He hired good basketball people, for sure, but then that presents a stark contrast with Jeanie.

2. In the current NBA, I can't agree with your comment about the difference between $500M and several billion. Tolerance for paying luxury tax has become important. Owners justify this on the basis of rising franchise values, but you still need to be ready to pay the money. We may have enough revenue to cover a large luxury tax bill, but when the owners are living off of the team's revenues, paying a big chuck of those revenues for luxury tax creates a sort of pressure that is not faced by, say, Ballmer.

3. A lot of us thought that hiring Magic was a bad move. Maybe you bought into it, but there were ample red flags. Following up on #1, would Dr. Buss have hired Magic to run basketball operations? No matter what Jeanie says, Dr. Buss's track record says no.

4. Magic has said why he quit. I don't know about the stuff about Pelinka, but I believe his basic explanation that the job just didn't let him be himself. This is because he wasn't suited for the job. Magic has a lot of good qualities. They just aren't the right qualities for a successful front office executive in the NBA.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:46 pm    Post subject:

kwase wrote:
Laker's Fan wrote:

Actually wealth does matter, being an owner goes much deeper than basketball decisions. We had supporting positions such as analytics, training and biomedical research open for far too long while someone like Ballmer has spent on multiple bodies at those positions. Not to mention seeing the value of spending on a consultant like Jerry West. Janie has brought in consultants who have failed in team building like Rambis and Phil.

There was a heathy contingent here who predicted exactly how the Magic tour of duty would go.
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:02 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
kwase wrote:

1. Dr. Buss was a great owner, but a big part of the reason is that he didn't just sit in a luxury box and sign checks. He got involved in the big decisions. He hired good basketball people, for sure, but then that presents a stark contrast with Jeanie.

2. In the current NBA, I can't agree with your comment about the difference between $500M and several billion. Tolerance for paying luxury tax has become important. Owners justify this on the basis of rising franchise values, but you still need to be ready to pay the money. We may have enough revenue to cover a large luxury tax bill, but when the owners are living off of the team's revenues, paying a big chuck of those revenues for luxury tax creates a sort of pressure that is not faced by, say, Ballmer.

3. A lot of us thought that hiring Magic was a bad move. Maybe you bought into it, but there were ample red flags. Following up on #1, would Dr. Buss have hired Magic to run basketball operations? No matter what Jeanie says, Dr. Buss's track record says no.

4. Magic has said why he quit. I don't know about the stuff about Pelinka, but I believe his basic explanation that the job just didn't let him be himself. This is because he wasn't suited for the job. Magic has a lot of good qualities. They just aren't the right qualities for a successful front office executive in the NBA.

Phil not impressing with the Knicks should have been a big flashing caution light when plans were being made to install Magic as head of basketball operations.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:55 pm    Post subject:

Bard207 wrote:
Phil not impressing with the Knicks should have been a big flashing caution light when plans were being made to install Magic as head of basketball operations.

You could say Jeanie is 0-3 in selecting people to run the Basketball Ops, first openly pining for Phil until he took the NY job, replacing Jim with Magic, and then passing on filling the Pres/VP job when Magic quit.

According to Jeanie, the debacle in NY wasn't Phil's fault.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/nypost.com/2018/10/14/jeanie-buss-phil-jackson-set-himself-up-to-fail-with-knicks/amp/
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:53 pm    Post subject:

Laker's Fan wrote:
Bard207 wrote:

You could say Jeanie is 0-3 in selecting people to run the Basketball Ops, first openly pining for Phil until he took the NY job, replacing Jim with Magic, and then passing on filling the Pres/VP job when Magic quit.

According to Jeanie, the debacle in NY wasn't Phil's fault.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/nypost.com/2018/10/14/jeanie-buss-phil-jackson-set-himself-up-to-fail-with-knicks/amp/

From the link:

Quote:

Since Jackson was fired, Buss pushed out her brother, Jim, as the Lakers’ head of basketball operations and fired general manager Mitch Kupchak. She replaced them with Magic Johnson and Rob Pelinka and helped them bring LeBron James to the Lakers.

Los Angeles Lakers fire GM Mitch Kupchak, name Magic Johnson president of basketball operations

Feb 21, 2017 1:31 PM ET

Quote:

LOS ANGELES (AP) --With the Los Angeles Lakers mired in the worst years in franchise history, owner Jeanie Buss has turned to Magic Johnson to lead them back to championship contention.

And she removed her own brother from his job to do it.

Jeanie Buss fired general manager Mitch Kupchak on Tuesday and put Johnson in charge of basketball operations. Jim Buss also was dismissed as the Lakers' executive vice president of basketball operations in a major shake-up of the struggling team's front office.

New York Knicks, team president Phil Jackson agree to part ways

Jun 28, 2017 9:39 AM ET

Quote:

The Phil Jackson tenure in New York is over. The Knicks officially announced this morning that Phil Jackson, who had served in his role since 2014, has mutually agreed to part ways with the team, effective immediately:

Jeanie pushed Jim & Mitch out in February 2017 while Phil was pushed out 4 - 5 months afterward.

Now on to the part about why Jeanie thought that things didn't go well for Phil in NY.

Quote:

But his ex-fiancee, Jeanie Buss, says Jackson’s tenure was destined to be a disaster because of the Knicks’ deep-rooted internal issues, and learned from the failure in her ownership of the Lakers.

“He should’ve made sure (to control) who was surrounding him, because the people close to you will take the knife and put it in your back,” Buss told The Athletic.

I have Phil and Magic as having the same issues/problems/limitations as FO executives.

* No prior experience working in a NBA FO

* Rather large egos

* Underestimating what was required to have some success in the position

* Getting their positions on fame gained from non FO success in the basketball world rather than having a solid grounding in basketball operations

Jeanie thinking that it was politics that did Phil in rather than his lack of experience in FO operations does explain why she tends to choose from a small group of people when filling top positions in the FO.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:40 pm    Post subject:

(bleep) Steve ballmer and the clippers. The man is a (bleep) troll. I want him to pack up his (bleep) and gtfo of Los Angeles. The clippers do not deserve to be here nor do they deserve to win. (bleep) that team and that franchise and everything they represent
CabinCreek44
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:53 am    Post subject:

Dr. Buss was fortunate in that he inherited smart and experienced lifers like Bill Sharman, Jerry West and Bill Bertka when he bought the Lakers. That said, he recognized what he had, let them do their jobs, and considered and valued their opinions when he made big decisions.

As he got older, he somewhat naturally wanted to hand over the reins of the empire to his children. What they do with it is up to them. The guess is here is that there's too many cooks in the kitchen, and Jeanie seemingly surrounding herself with her friends as opposed to talented NBA people has so far not panned out. Magic at least landed LeBron before his rather predictable implosion, and Rich Paul and Bron brought in AD.

The coaching situation seems dicey. A completely wasted season last year with a novice coaching staff that a 5-year old would have realized wasn't gonna work out.

Now we go to the complete opposite end of the spectrum, and have three NBA head coaches on hand, including one who seemingly has a tendency to not get along with others. Vogel and Hollins are solid guys, but again 3 head coaches? It's easy to imagine turbulent waters ahead there. And all of that came after they botched the deal with Ty Lue...not that I think he's a coaching legend, but he does have a title under his belt and he managed to survive LeBron. When he walked away from the job, it was yet another embarrassment to the org.

The best move for now is to cater to LeBron, AD and Rich Paul, and hope it all works out for the best. Pelinka apparently is a hard-worker but perhaps his personality is an acquired taste. Jeanie and The Rambii are in way over their heads.

This season will either be great or a disaster, the guess here is that there isn't really an in-between right now.
kwase
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:34 pm    Post subject:

Well, at this point we're on the lebron james 4-year plan. As a result we've squandered our entire future to win now. 1/4th of that is over with a grade of F-. I guess one way of looking at it is we can only go up from here....hopefully. I'm not really concerned with Jeannie at this point, because lebron is the one that's really running the team....and that's what you get when you sign him. Obviously, I want to party on Figueroa with everybody else, but if we don't I'm blaming Magic and lebron. That's just me, and although I have my doubts I'm hoping for the best.
kevin61
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:59 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
kwase wrote:
Laker's Fan wrote:

Actually wealth does matter, being an owner goes much deeper than basketball decisions. We had supporting positions such as analytics, training and biomedical research open for far too long while someone like Ballmer has spent on multiple bodies at those positions. Not to mention seeing the value of spending on a consultant like Jerry West. Janie has brought in consultants who have failed in team building like Rambis and Phil.

There was a heathy contingent here who predicted exactly how the Magic tour of duty would go.

Ventura,
Bottom line, true or false, is Jeanie selling the Lakers the only way you’ll support them without persistent skepticism ?
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:17 am    Post subject:

I’m just calling things as they are. I am sure that Jeanie is a fine person and successful marketing her father’s vision but she has been a failure as the head of the Lakers. She can make the right moves but she hasn’t shown that she knows what they are.
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:17 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
I’m just calling things as they are. I am sure that Jeanie is a fine person and successful marketing her father’s vision but she has been a failure as the head of the Lakers. She can make the right moves but she hasn’t shown that she knows what they are.

Amazing how she learned to Shut Up after winning the civil war. It's like she magically learned she was undermining the Lakers every time she was on the air - over night.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:24 pm    Post subject:

LakersRGolden wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Amazing how she learned to Shut Up after winning the civil war. It's like she magically learned she was undermining the Lakers every time she was on the air - over night.

I hadn’t really noticed this, but you’re right.
oasisdude77
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:57 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
LakersRGolden wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

I hadn’t really noticed this, but you’re right.

Hadn't noticed either, but that's a GREAT point
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:59 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Lakers are spending $127Mill on payroll as things stand today -

Yet they only have 3 full time people who all earned a combined salary of less than $300k taking care of the $127Mill worth of players.

There is zero cap when it comes to health & training staff.

FWIW. More tweets here too.

https://twitter.com/shawnmatianesq/status/1183061449486163969?s=21

This is the danger imo. Buss family has to keep up with the standards today or cash in and consider getting out of the business.
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:20 pm    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
Quote:
Lakers are spending $127Mill on payroll as things stand today -

Yet they only have 3 full time people who all earned a combined salary of less than $300k taking care of the $127Mill worth of players.

There is zero cap when it comes to health & training staff.

FWIW. More tweets here too.

https://twitter.com/shawnmatianesq/status/1183061449486163969?s=21

This is the danger imo. Buss family has to keep up with the standards today or cash in and consider getting out of the business.

Only a guess, but I have the Rambis combo making more than $300,000 .
Robster8989
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:43 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:

I'd even go a step further and say Jeannie's failure is not recognizing that she needs a professional to run the basketball side.
Jim was no professional (though installed there by her father)
Magic was Jeannie's first attempt there and failed miserably by appointing her other "brother", Magic.
She should have recognized that she needed a true professional.
Magic may be a very successful businessman, and certainly a Laker legend, but he was a poor choice as PBO.
I believe she made another poor decision by passing on Griffin (and West before him), and right now there is a void there (that bit us in the ass in the Kawhi fiasco, as a true industry pro would have understood that is was pretty clear that Kawhi did not want to pay in LBJ's shadow. It seemed everyone knew that except the Lakers)
A great leader recognizes that he or she needs true professionals at times.
Ballmer certainly understands this, and has surrounded himself with professional basketball minds.
Interestingly, Ballmer made his fortune as a professional.
Gates and Allen (who founded Microsoft), correctly understood that they needed a professional CEO to guide their creation, and hired Ballmer for that purpose.
Jeannie so far has been incapable of making such an enlightened decision.

West Point '88
UCLA '92
75th Ranger Regiment '88-'04
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:53 pm    Post subject:

yes its beyond sad how a multi-billion dollar franchise is still ran like a mom and pop shop thats pinching pennies around the corners.
K2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:04 pm    Post subject:

It’s unfathomable the Buss family would end up running the team like the McCourts, even with an accursed tv deal already in place.
1hu2ren3dui4
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:08 pm    Post subject:

I was under the impression that the lakers just upgraded themselves. New practice facility, more staff for analytics, and a new training staff. Is that not true? Yeah, it took a while for them to get there but it seems to me they are moving to modernize now.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:26 am    Post subject:

1hu2ren3dui4 wrote:
I was under the impression that the lakers just upgraded themselves. New practice facility, more staff for analytics, and a new training staff. Is that not true? Yeah, it took a while for them to get there but it seems to me they are moving to modernize now.

You never know what to believe about these reports. Many times, the information has been reported by people with incomplete knowledge and/or agendas. I can’t speak to this specific report, but we’ve seen a number of these reports turn out to be inaccurate or misleading over the years.

Having said that, my impression is that the team is moving in the right direction but at an inexplicably slow pace, so that we are behind most of the league when it comes to a number of areas. That’s just an impression, though. The Lakers tend to be opaque when it comes to this sort of information.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:28 am    Post subject:

1hu2ren3dui4 wrote:

No, it isn’t true.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8
Jump to: