Goodbye TALEN HORTON-TUCKER Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 200, 201, 202  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:09 pm    Post subject:

ZenMaster4President wrote:
What difference does his height make, really? You don't shoot or defend with the top of your head.

It's the weight and standing/jumping reach that matters and he has those in spades.

It doesn't. But having a 6'9 SF who can see over him isn't exactly going to be the best defense either, no?

Wingspan/standing reach would help him in switch situations no doubt. But not sure if I would put him as a primary SF defender even if he has insane wingspan measurements.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:09 pm    Post subject:

Yinoma don’t read mah posts
Maybe it’s because I say mah
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:41 pm    Post subject:

2019-20 Lakers Season Preview: Talen Horton-Tucker

Quote:
Horton-Tucker is probably the biggest unknown on the Lakers roster for the 2019-20 NBA season. As a second round pick, expectations should be measured

https://www.lakersnation.com/2019-20-lakers-season-preview-talen-horton-tucker/2019/09/13/
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:14 pm    Post subject:

It's possible that he could one day defend SFs well, Tony Allen is a good case to look at. Allen is 1" taller, a true 6'5 in shoes, but 4" less wingspan - still long, 6'9 8'7 length measurements - and he was an amazing defender of Kevin Durant. Marcus Smart at an inch shorter than THT guards SFs. There are undersized lockdown guys. 6'4 with his length and being able to bump guys, wouldn't be shocked if he becomes an above average SF defender.
The amount he's longer than Jimmy Butler is a 2 position gulf; so compared to SG-SF tweeners, I'm not sure wings would like to be defended by his arms
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:36 pm    Post subject:

^^^ I see this potential too which is why i hope the development staff makes defense his #1 and #2 priority.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:12 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
It's possible that he could one day defend SFs well, Tony Allen is a good case to look at. Allen is 1" taller, a true 6'5 in shoes, but 4" less wingspan - still long, 6'9 8'7 length measurements - and he was an amazing defender of Kevin Durant. Marcus Smart at an inch shorter than THT guards SFs. There are undersized lockdown guys. 6'4 with his length and being able to bump guys, wouldn't be shocked if he becomes an above average SF defender.
The amount he's longer than Jimmy Butler is a 2 position gulf; so compared to SG-SF tweeners, I'm not sure wings would like to be defended by his arms

I know you’re obsessed with measurables. I’m guessing you miss Ball and Ingram as much as I do... 😆
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:20 pm    Post subject:

While we haven't been great developing blue chip talent, our farm system has done a good job identifying guys and working with them on improving. I hope Tucker spends most of the year in a developmental role.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:56 am    Post subject:

AFireInside619 wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:

I know you’re obsessed with measurables. I’m guessing you miss Ball and Ingram as much as I do... 😆

and like "height for height" THT is longer than Ingram too, by a couple inches which is crazy
BI should have gotten more stocks, although a solid defender. hope THT develops defensively
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:19 am    Post subject:

THT has his work cut out for him in the G-league....
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:43 am    Post subject:

Laker's Fan wrote:
While we haven't been great developing blue chip talent, our farm system has done a good job identifying guys and working with them on improving. I hope Tucker spends most of the year in a developmental role.

They managed to turn that poorly developed blue chip talent into Anthony Davis, so it's not exactly a total loss.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:57 pm    Post subject:

Laker's Fan wrote:
While we haven't been great developing blue chip talent,

Two of our young talents just got max deals.

I'd say we did just fine in developing them, we just got rid of them before they had breakout seasons.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:54 am    Post subject:

*Teams will regret passing on Talen Horton-Tucker

Quote:
The question with Horton-Tucker is whether he will be a good shooter in the league. In one year with the Cyclones he shot 31% from deep. The positive is that he made 1.4 threes per game and displayed confidence shooting it.

https://lakeshowlife.com/2019/09/12/los-angeles-lakers-teams-will-regret-passing-talen-horton-tucker/

*Lakers rookie Talen Horton-Tucker was happy to see his NBA 2K rating

https://therookiewire.usatoday.com/2019/09/07/lakers-rookie-talen-horton-tucker-was-happy-to-see-his-nba-2k-rating/
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:21 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Laker's Fan wrote:
While we haven't been great developing blue chip talent,

Two of our young talents just got max deals.

I'd say we did just fine in developing them, we just got rid of them before they had breakout seasons.

Curious who you are including in this statement. Did I miss a signing?

Confused with your comment. Randle got paid. As I expect Ingram and Ball to get paid well when the time comes if their health holds. Late rounders and 2nd round picks all got significant contracts. (Zubac, Clarkson, Nance. Bryant)

So I agree the Lakers have done well in selecting and developing talented players in the last few years. Just a bummer the Lakers and fans are likely to see them blossom into impactful professionals on other teams.

Horton- Tucker seems to another intriguing prospect. It would be nice to see him develop on the Laker roster. But I would not be shocked to see him moved during the season for an over the hill win now vet for the playoff run.
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:33 am    Post subject:

THT is a decent prospect. Solid role player if he reaches his potential, but nothing more. If he was to get moved for an "over the hill vet" (love the way you're bemoaning/criticizing them for something that hasn't even happened btw, very fair of you), what matters is if said vet can contribute more to the championship than THT can. Would it really be all that difficult to find some other young player with a comparable ceiling? It's not like he's some can't miss prospect. Even if he stays with the Lakers and doesn't pan out, it wouldn't be some huge deal.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:49 am    Post subject:

Judah wrote:
THT is a decent prospect. Solid role player if he reaches his potential, but nothing more. If he was to get moved for an "over the hill vet" (love the way you're bemoaning/criticizing them for something that hasn't even happened btw, very fair of you), what matters is if said vet can contribute more to the championship than THT can. Would it really be all that difficult to find some other young player with a comparable ceiling? It's not like he's some can't miss prospect. Even if he stays with the Lakers and doesn't pan out, it wouldn't be some huge deal.

Why is it not fair of me? Trade proposals of Tucker for filling a need on this roster are all through this thread. My referring to those comments is somehow off limits?

I readily admit my perspective for this team is jaded. Excited about the possibilities for this season but some serious concerns of the risky all in moves that have gutted this team for the future. All hopes rely on Davis re-signing to even have a future past a couple James years.

I agree that Tucker is a raw talent and not a factor in the short term for the Lakers. That is too bad IMO. Because his likely replacement will be a Melo or J.R. Smith type. Not someone that is going to be a round to play with Davis in a couple years when they need some long term continuity.
Luminous8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:07 am    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
AFireInside619 wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:

and like "height for height" THT is longer than Ingram too, by a couple inches which is crazy
BI should have gotten more stocks, although a solid defender. hope THT develops defensively

BI was always more of a fundamental defender than getting the stocks. I actually expect slightly better defensive numbers this year with Gentry’s style,... but I never had a huge problem with his D. He should definitely look to get those numbers up a bit though.
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:52 am    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
Judah wrote:

Why is it not fair of me? Trade proposals of Tucker for filling a need on this roster are all through this thread. My referring to those comments is somehow off limits?

I readily admit my perspective for this team is jaded. Excited about the possibilities for this season but some serious concerns of the risky all in moves that have gutted this team for the future. All hopes rely on Davis re-signing to even have a future past a couple James years.

I agree that Tucker is a raw talent and not a factor in the short term for the Lakers. That is too bad IMO. Because his likely replacement will be a Melo or J.R. Smith type. Not someone that is going to be a round to play with Davis in a couple years when they need some long term continuity.

The future? The only "all in move" they made this summer was for AD. Was it risky? In a very, very limited way, sure. But wouldn't it have been risky to just hope that the young core would pop when it's still possible that none of them will become legitimate stars? AD is the future now, and his talent is a sure thing. The Lakers are contenders because of him. If no one from the young core became a star, the only "future" the Lakers would've had is one that would've had some exciting highlights at times, but frustrating, disappointing, and underwhelming in terms of wins. I'm going to miss BI and Zo in particular, but the young core as a whole didn't represent themselves well when they folded once LeBron and Rondo got hurt. That long stretch of losing was what plummeted them in the standings and cost them the season. The team never recovered after that. It's a hard sell to pitch the idea that it would've been better to keep them instead of getting a still young superstar in his prime, all because of "future."

You still have a future with AD. A better one, in fact. I'm significantly more convinced of another star wanting to come and join forces with AD than I would've been of a star coming to play with a still kinda young, still kinda unproven young core that you can't make heads or tails out of.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:17 am    Post subject:

Judah wrote:
Judah wrote:

The future? The only "all in move" they made this summer was for AD. Was it risky? In a very, very limited way, sure. But wouldn't it have been risky to just hope that the young core would pop when it's still possible that none of them will become legitimate stars? AD is the future now, and his talent is a sure thing. The Lakers are contenders because of him. If no one from the young core became a star, the only "future" the Lakers would've had is one that would've had some exciting highlights at times, but frustrating, disappointing, and underwhelming in terms of wins. I'm going to miss BI and Zo in particular, but the young core as a whole didn't represent themselves well when they folded once LeBron and Rondo got hurt. That long stretch of losing was what plummeted them in the standings and cost them the season. The team never recovered after that. It's a hard sell to pitch the idea that it would've been better to keep them instead of getting a still young superstar in his prime, all because of "future."

You still have a future with AD. A better one, in fact. I'm significantly more convinced of another star wanting to come and join forces with AD than I would've been of a star coming to play with a still kinda young, still kinda unproven young core that you can't make heads or tails out of.

We simply disagree on some key points.

The "all in move" I am referring to is the signing of James. All other decisions, including the Davis trade, are directly related to that decision. The moving all the chips into the middle of the table with James is risky. What player are we going to see in these next couple years?

The resurgent GOAT beast that so many are hoping for? Or the declining player that "coasts" at times and needs multiple games off moving forward? We shall see.

I agree with you that the young players futures are unknown. Likely a couple succeed and a couple are just average role players. But IMO valuable role players with continuity over the next few years. A very expensive one year rental for Davis is a highly risky move based on the James decision. I would have preferred waiting a year and signing him in free agency. The young man is incredibly talented but there are no guarantees he remains a Laker.

But we are where we are. Lakers have backed themselves into a win a ring this year corner. I hope they chose wisely because the clock is ticking and all "future" hopes are linked to a free agent that has proven himself to be fickle with little concern for any interests but his own. Re-signing him is critical to any Laker future.

Is he going to be happy being the horse that is pulling James through the Farewell Tour? Especially if the season does not end in a championship and the continuing rhetoric is that James did not have a " good enough supporting cast".

Horton-Tucker is just the latest in line to be a part of this string of decisions. He is a promising prospect. Who knows if he makes an impact this or any other year. But at the moment he is just a cog in the wheel of the current plan. IMO we never see the results of any development. He gets moved by seasons end.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:37 pm    Post subject:

deal wrote:

Kind of but not really? He's such a weird prospect.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:41 am    Post subject:

Judah wrote:
Judah wrote:

We simply disagree on some key points.

The "all in move" I am referring to is the signing of James. All other decisions, including the Davis trade, are directly related to that decision. The moving all the chips into the middle of the table with James is risky. What player are we going to see in these next couple years?

The resurgent GOAT beast that so many are hoping for? Or the declining player that "coasts" at times and needs multiple games off moving forward? We shall see.

I agree with you that the young players futures are unknown. Likely a couple succeed and a couple are just average role players. But IMO valuable role players with continuity over the next few years. A very expensive one year rental for Davis is a highly risky move based on the James decision. I would have preferred waiting a year and signing him in free agency. The young man is incredibly talented but there are no guarantees he remains a Laker.

But we are where we are. Lakers have backed themselves into a win a ring this year corner. I hope they chose wisely because the clock is ticking and all "future" hopes are linked to a free agent that has proven himself to be fickle with little concern for any interests but his own. Re-signing him is critical to any Laker future.

Is he going to be happy being the horse that is pulling James through the Farewell Tour? Especially if the season does not end in a championship and the continuing rhetoric is that James did not have a " good enough supporting cast".

Horton-Tucker is just the latest in line to be a part of this string of decisions. He is a promising prospect. Who knows if he makes an impact this or any other year. But at the moment he is just a cog in the wheel of the current plan. IMO we never see the results of any development. He gets moved by seasons end.

No they haven't. Winning the ring is the goal, as it very well should be when you pair two of the top five players in the game. But you're so committed to spelling doom that you're framing what's at stake in the most extreme way possible. No, the house will not come tumbling down if the Lakers don't win it all this year. There's no reason to think that. If they make it to the WCF or the Finals and lose, that does not make the season a disaster and mean that AD will bounce. Extreme outlooks like yours are called hot takes.

And that fickle free agent you're talking about better be Dwight, because if that's your assessment of AD you've officially become senile. Again, hot take. Dude was trapped in NO for all those years and was mostly surrounded with underwhelming talent. So he leaves for a better situation and you criticize him for that? Was he supposed to just accept a life sentence of losing in New Orleans throughout his career? It's not like a star was going to join forces with him there. No star goes to a team like New Orleans willingly. You've got some really jacked up perspectives.
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:09 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
deal wrote:

We're stacked with guards, can't see any PT in the big leagues for him UNLESS
he's that good that he hops over some of those guys; still, I can't see it.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:44 pm    Post subject:

deal wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
deal wrote:

We're stacked with guards, can't see any PT in the big leagues for him UNLESS
he's that good that he hops over some of those guys; still, I can't see it.

The post was in reference to the idea that he needed a lot of development in the G-league, not a reference to PT at the NBA level, right?

It kind of wouldn't surprise me if he struggled really badly or just started really doing well; both ends of the extremes.

activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:08 pm    Post subject:

Lakers have backed themselves into a win a ring this year corner. I hope they chose wisely because the clock is ticking and all "future" hopes are linked to a free agent that has proven himself to be fickle with little concern for any interests but his own.

But so what? If we had kept all the young guys, we would have backed ourselves into a corner hoping they developed. Ultimately, you have to make some choice, and every choice involves risk.

I have no problem with the Lebron/AD choice. If it doesn't pan out, such is life.

It's not like there was some other choice that had demonstrably better odds of success.

Heck, just seeing how Lebron/AD turns out will bring enough entertainment value to justify the choice, no matter what happens.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:18 pm    Post subject:

They chose wisely.

PartyMan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:29 pm    Post subject:

Laker's Fan wrote:

True that. Haven’t exactly hit it out of the park with the lottery picks (though almost all of them look like good not great NBA players at this time.) But finding capable guys later in the draft and developing bench guys through the D League has been a strength. Now we have 2 top end talents (plus maybe a 3rd All Star, looking at you Kuz) so that’s exciting we’ve had the track record to identify and develop some solid role players.

THT has the physical profile and tools to be a standout wing defender. Let’s hope that’s where his mindset is first and foremost. Then we’ll see what he can provide on offense. Hopefully shooting down the road.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 200, 201, 202  Next
Page 20 of 202
Jump to: